BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

You mean there were only 2 buses, right? (There weren't like 5 buses bunched).

Maybe the B/O figured he'd save a minute or two, since he wouldn't have to stop at the first stop (If he was going back to make a return trip). Otherwise, maybe he figured he'd go straight to the depot. But I agree that he probably should've just made the extra few stops.

5 buses bunched is a little too much. I have yet to see that on Bx12 +SBS although bunches of 2 are fairly common and you can get an occasional bunch of three.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When do you take B41? :o

Lol.... but he's not far-fetched with that though (although I wouldn't exactly say 5 buses is "nothing"; that makes it seem like it's constantly well more than 5)....

It's not uncommon to see like 3-4 B41's back to back (with pax in em) making that left turn on flatbush before pulling into kings plz..... Hell, @ the junction (either dir.), @ empire, @ the borough hall stop (NB; before the right hand turn onto cadman plz), and @ church are also places where you're bound to see at least 3 B41's in very close proximity to each other....

Edited by B35 via Church

When do you take B41? :o

Very often... it happens all the time, if that's what you're asking.

Lol.... but he's not far-fetched with that though (although I wouldn't exactly say 5 buses is "nothing"; that makes it seem like it's constantly well more than 5)....

It's not uncommon to see like 3-4 B41's back to back (with pax in em) making that left turn on flatbush before pulling into kings plz..... Hell, @ the junction (either dir.), @ empire, @ the borough hall stop (NB; before the right hand turn onto cadman plz), and @ church are also places where you're bound to see at least 3 B41's in very close proximity to each other....

It is...

It's mostly to blame on Flatbush Avenue traffic and the dollar vans, who would seemingly kill for a fare... lol

Edited by Threxx

It is...

It's mostly to blame on Flatbush Avenue traffic and the dollar vans, who would seemingly kill for a fare... lol

"It is..." what...

B41's don't constantly arrive in bunches of 5+ "very often"... Cut the crap.

They don't all arrive at once, but give it 5min and enough time passing and that is very true. Bunching is crazy on the B41 especially at the Junction.

Generally it's about 3 at a time.

Someone that gets it.....

5+ buses coming in a 5 minute span & 5+ buses coming at once are two very different things.....

Edited by B35 via Church

5 buses bunched is a little too much. I have yet to see that on Bx12 +SBS although bunches of 2 are fairly common and you can get an occasional bunch of three.

I've seen 5 before: 3 SBS 12's and 2 local 12's.

Heck I've seen just about everything from the Bx12 line: SBS buses making local stops, local buses stopping at both local and SBS stops at the spots where the local/SBS stops are separated, a 53xx series D60HF on the SBS and even a local bus extended past Pelham Bay and running through to Bay Plaza as an "SBS"

Word of advice for anyone: if you are heading to Co-Op City and there's a huge delay in SBS service, just take the local to Pelham Bay if you can. Every time I've done that the dispatchers at Pelham Bay would usually pull through and have a bus available to go to Bay Plaza.

Word of advice for anyone: if you are heading to Co-Op City and there's a huge delay in SBS service, just take the local to Pelham Bay if you can. Every time I've done that the dispatchers at Pelham Bay would usually pull through and have a bus available to go to Bay Plaza.

Plus, there's also the Bx29, Bx23, & Q50 that stop at or near the mall.

I avoid the Bx12 wholesale anyway, but this is good advice for riders that have to take the route.... Same thing I do with the B35 over here when I do take it; I don't wait around for the LTD's.....

Come to think of it, there have been occasions where I'd wait @ PBP (for the Q50) & have noticed locals switching from PBP bound buses to Bay Plz. bound buses.... Didn't think much of it at the time....

I've also seen an +SBS+ discharge pax @ PBP on 1 occasion (it was orig. signed as going to Bay plz) - that same bus dropped off pax @ PBP, then switched signs to go onto picking up Inwood bound pax...... There was a Bay plz. bound +SBS+ bus already there ahead of it that stood there for a couple mins... I don't know how all those ppl. managed to get on that bus [from the 2nd bus to the 1st bus], but they eventually did)....

Edited by B35 via Church

Someone that gets it.....

5+ buses coming in a 5 minute span & 5+ buses coming at once are two very different things.....

Right...and THAT is what you see on the 41 bus all the time. You miss one, there's either another right behind, or there's another 10 minutes away, you never know.

Right...and THAT is what you see on the 41 bus all the time. You miss one, there's either another right behind, or there's another 10 minutes away, you never know.

Hold on.... WHAT is what you see on the 41 all the time? I listed two different things there in that quote.....

The former of the two is true & is not being disputed.... The latter happening as frequently as Threxx is saying, is a blatant exaggeration....

If you mean rush hours, then maybe. But I do take the 41 quite a bit during the midday and sometimes after 8pm and it can be 15-20 min b/w buses. And when a bus comes, it's 1 or 2 buses per branch. So they have a lot of buses on the 41, but if there's a choke point somewhere, expect delays.

If you mean rush hours, then maybe. But I do take the 41 quite a bit during the midday and sometimes after 8pm and it can be 15-20 min b/w buses. And when a bus comes, it's 1 or 2 buses per branch. So they have a lot of buses on the 41, but if there's a choke point somewhere, expect delays.

That sounds a lot like the NB 44.... That's why I stopped taking the BM4 & the BM2 to the B44 (well that, and the white castle closing down)...

old PM riding habits:

BM1 to schenectady (for the 46), BM2 to the junction for the 44 (moreso than the BM2 to 'H), BM3 to E 18th/cortelyou, BM4 to nostrand/av K (before the turn) [sometimes I would walk to the junction from 'K & just take the (2) if I felt like it]...

Or if I felt like walking, get off any of the 4 routes at the E 18th/cortelyou stop & walk it out; the things you see walking through that sears parking lot late at night....

* After hanging out w/ co-workers in midtown after work, I would take the BM5 for the 82 to the 46, but that wasn't too too common a thing.....

current PM habits:

BM1 to schenectady (for the 46), BM2 to 'H, BM3 or BM4 to E. 18th/cortelyou (I don't get off at the church av stops b/c it's a longer walk from ocean pkwy/church than it is from cortelyou/E 18th for me... that, and you run into less people....

Edited by B35 via Church

So, I was waiting to catch the S40 from Richmond Terrace/Park Av and one was supposed to arrive at 12:04 AM, but I made sure I was at the stop at least 10 minutes before in case it would show up early. The bus never showed and I caught the bus after, which was 12:40. I honestly didn't know what happened because I used my friend's laptop to check the S40 in Bustime and it showed there was a ferry-bound S40 turning from South Av onto Richmond Terrace. I swear, I don't know what's going on with these SI buses.....

If you took the B41 when I used to, it's not an exaggeration...

BTW, 5 buses in 5 minutes is bunching... the schedule isn't a bus every 60 seconds...

It's bunching, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. If you see a bus every 60 seconds, it's not as bad as 5 buses coming right behind each other.

It's bunching, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. If you see a bus every 60 seconds, it's not as bad as 5 buses coming right behind each other.

It is as bad as I'm making it out to be... and when the buses don't bunch, they're slammed.

....and when the buses don't bunch, they're slammed.

Nobody's questioning levels of crowding on the B41....

If you took the B41 when I used to, it's not an exaggeration...

BTW, 5 buses in 5 minutes is bunching... the schedule isn't a bus every 60 seconds...

Don't know why you're continuing to justify your exaggeration, but since you insist.....

Jubai specifically mentioned bunches of 2 being fairly common on the Bx12 & bunches of 3 being occasional... Before that, he says 5 buses is a little too much....

....then there you came swooping through talking about bunches of 5 buses being "nothing" on the B41, and it happening "very often", this & that.... As if to say you're bound to see well more than 5 buses....

Yeah, 5 buses in 5 minutes is bunching, but you know full well you weren't referring to that many buses arriving in that wide a span (5 minutes), so don't even try that....

Have you tell it, I could pretty much wait at any B41 stop & see bunches of 5+ B41's right then & there....

If someone took the B41 when you used to? Oh, ok - So this only happened when you used to take them.... How you can quantify that as being "very often" though is beyond me...... So, yeah, again - Blatant exaggeration.

It is as bad as I'm making it out to be...

No it aint.... Not even close....

Standing at a given bus stop & seeing more than 5 B41's arriving at once (you know, like what you tried to portray happens on the B41 "very often" to Jubai) is not the same thing as more than 5 B41's arriving over 5 minutes time.... Both are bad, the former is worse - Especially if it happens "very often".....

I don't know what it is you don't see about that.

Edited by B35 via Church

Hold on.... WHAT is what you see on the 41 all the time? I listed two different things there in that quote.....

The former of the two is true & is not being disputed.... The latter happening as frequently as Threxx is saying, is a blatant exaggeration....

Lol, lazy quoting, my bad. The former...the latter happens once in a blue moon, but it ain't frequent.

You're right, it can easily be 15-20 minutes, I was being optimistic there. Depends where you catch it as well, but in general that route doesn't run as badly as it could for a route of its length and the traffic it deals with (Flatbush Av alone is brutal).