BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw a 5800 LFSA running up FB from Av N, it was parked on the B44 n/b stop at Flatbush. I am assuming it turned on Av H?

589 parked outside the target triangle, driver was no where to be found and an O7 just pulled in to pick us up :(. At least it was a 3500... Saw 3621? n/b on the Q35.

Edited by Grand Concourse

126th is a TA depot, and no, not that I'm aware except all new buses have the equipment installed.

Most of the 1200s at 126 have their GPSs activated except for a handful, none of the 5900s got em up and running.

LOL. Did you do the S60 & S67 while they were around?

S67 when the NGs were new.

I've done the S60 only once but that was before I became a busfan.

Edited by Cait Sith

Is bustime installed on all MABSTOA buses? I see recently KB has gotten artics from 126th. Or is it installed when they get there?

GPS is installed on about 90% of the bus fleet. If you've ever been to the command center, they have huge TV's that displays what bus is on what route, how fast it's going (this feature is only on the 2003-present buses), and where it is in terms of its route schedule. It shouldn't be too long before bustime is enabled on every single bus.

I have a question my uncle was a bus operator and recently he and a crew of guys took some buses out to long island for servicing now i know there is a bus manufacturer out in Plattsburg but who is out in long island in terms of a service factory etc and who and what do they go there for?

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Fanned the S84 again. While I was waiting, I saw 4 S46s bunched up. (We passed one around Brighton Avenue, and then by Cebra Avenue, I saw a 3rd one coming up behind us, and then at Victory & Bay, a 4th one came along). Well, at least that's 4 busloads of people that caught the ferry (I didn't see how crowded the last 2 were, but eh, a few people is better than nothing). I'm wondering what caused the bunching. There was a little bit of traffic around Bard Avenue, and then again by Cebra Avenue, but it wasn't anything crazy. That last B/O must've been flooring it (he could've been a tripper or something, but I doubt it).

So the S84 hit some traffic again, but it wasn't as bad as it was the day before Thanksgiving. I looked at the clock at the ETC, and it was a little bit before 4:30, whereas before, we arrived at 4:55 (the bus was scheduled to arrive at 4:05). I must have shit luck whenever I take the S74/84, because we always seem to get bogged down in the New Dorp area, and then a little bit in Richmondtown. (Maybe it's because when I do it, it's usually towards the end of the route). And the same S74 that was scheduled behind us at St. George was only 1 light cycle behind at the ETC.

So then I rode the full S55. Believe it or not, all of the ridership came from the portion where it was extended (5 kids got on at Bloomingdale & Woodrow, then 3 more kids got on a little further down, and then 2 more kids got on Amboy Road in Princes' Bay). Then of course, we picked up a few people at the ETC.

I figured I had time to catch the S89, and a woman (who was like half my size, and I'm not even that tall) was talking about "These buses are craaaaaaaazy" (with a little bit of a Spanish accent). She said that she used to take the S44, and then she took the S61 to the S57. I asked her where she was going, because I might know a shortcut. It turned out she was just going to Forest Avenue, and didn't want to take the S44 or S59 because they were too slow and crowded. I could've told her that those routes aren't that slow, but I didn't feel like arguing. She admitted that they're more frequent, but I guess if you want a seat, the S89 is better. (In this case, though, it worked out better all around, because at this time (5:25 out of Eltingville) the S89 was scheduled a few minutes before the S44 & S59, and then the limited run might save 2-3 minutes on top of that if she's trying to get to Forest).

I've gotta say, PM rush, reverse-peak ridership on the S89 has definitely increased. There were a bunch of times when I would either get on the S89, or see it pass from an S44, and it would only have either a handful of riders on board. Now, at least you can get a good 15-20 people or so. (And this was less than a year ago) Either I just happened to have strange luck before, and only saw/caught the runs with few riders, or people are actually beginning to use it more, and are shifting from the S44 & S59.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I have a question my uncle was a bus operator and recently he and a crew of guys took some buses out to long island for servicing now i know there is a bus manufacturer out in Plattsburg but who is out in long island in terms of a service factory etc and who and what do they go there for?

Engine work...i think there's a Detroit Diesel service center (and possibly Cummins, one or the other) out there

Saw 9172 out on the B46 today, surprised those 1996s are still in full rotation. When MHV had their last seven RTSes, those buses only went out on weekdays and only during rush hour, max 1-2 a day. At FB, I guess it's as long as they run...

Edited by MHV9218

Saw 9172 out on the B46 today, surprised those 1996s are still in full rotation. When MHV had their last seven RTSes, those buses only went out on weekdays and only during rush hour, max 1-2 a day. At FB, I guess it's as long as they run...

Yeah, I also saw 8870 on Thursday. I was surprised they were still around. I would've thought they were all gone when the 9300s arrived. I wonder if it's due to Sandy and all the other depots needing to send down buses?

Didn't think it was possible but they found a way to slap a front ad on the 200s at Gleason

The ads are off-center to the left and it somewhat overlaps the left headlight (which of course they cut around it)

...and it has that lame ass Phat Farm ad smh

Didn't think it was possible but they found a way to slap a front ad on the 200s at Gleason

The ads are off-center to the left and it somewhat overlaps the left headlight (which of course they cut around it)

I've seen front ads on some of JG's C40s for a few months now.

That's desperate sounding, didn't think they'd be able to make that fit. Then again, they're even putting ads on the fronts of LFSAs now, so I guess it's not a surprise. In theory they could fit them on the old C40s if they're cutting around like that.

I've seen front ads on some of JG's C40s for a few months now.

Not on the 200 series you haven't, those buses have the license plate in the way of where the ads would go.

That's desperate sounding, didn't think they'd be able to make that fit. Then again, they're even putting ads on the fronts of LFSAs now, so I guess it's not a surprise. In theory they could fit them on the old C40s if they're cutting around like that.

Wait what?!

kinda disappointed in the way new flyer built their pull cord mechanisms.

The cord being attached to the little circle at the end...causing a chain reaction seems to break alot...those XD40 pull cords are breaking apart!

As for the LFS/LFSA and Orions...the pull cords are connected to this big base mechanism that seems to never break...idk...just seems weird that orion Vs pull cords been around for 13yrs...and didnt break...as for XD40s that havent been out for a YR already breaking....

kinda disappointed in the way new flyer built their pull cord mechanisms.

The cord being attached to the little circle at the end...causing a chain reaction seems to break alot...those XD40 pull cords are breaking apart!

As for the LFS/LFSA and Orions...the pull cords are connected to this big base mechanism that seems to never break...idk...just seems weird that orion Vs pull cords been around for 13yrs...and didnt break...as for XD40s that havent been out for a YR already breaking....

What's with you and these pull cords?! LOL. I haven't seen anyone talk about pull cords like this!!