BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Few things that came to mind on the bus...

Firstly, those ex-ENY O7s we picked up at Mannyville look about five years older than all the other 6600s up here! Saw 6623 a thousand times today and they're definitely running well, but they look rough. Lot of ENY buses like that.

Secondly, what's the story on the M34 artic conversion? The LFSAs are all here, but I guess there still haven't been any wrapped yet?

Lastly, that new M9 routing is a lot different than what I had tought, gonna be strange seeing a 9 all the west on the highway...sort of a long-winded crosstown now.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, those ex-ENY O7s we picked up at Mannyville look about five years older than all the other 6600s up here! Saw 6623 a thousand times today and they're definitely running well, but they look rough. Lot of ENY buses like that.

Secondly, what's the story on the M34 artic conversion? The LFSAs are all here, but I guess there still haven't been any wrapped yet?

Lastly, that new M9 routing is a lot different than what I had tought, gonna be strange seeing a 9 all the west on the highway...sort of a long-winded crosstown now.

Just imagine M9s running around "naked" as you would say west on the highway... :lol: Only in a bus forum...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I would think that since Flatbush got the batch of 5800s, that we'd have to wait because wrapping artics to SBS would probably cause a shortage in the artic fleet at Quill(unless there is more than enough).

Fresh Pond destroyed them, Grand Ave babied them and ENY ran them to the ground lmao

Just imagine M9s running around "naked" as you would say west on the highway... :lol: Only in a bus forum...

Now now, you keep your fantasies to yourself!

I would think that since Flatbush got the batch of 5800s, that we'd have to wait because wrapping artics to SBS would probably cause a shortage in the artic fleet at Quill(unless there is more than enough).

Maybe the service patterns have changed, but Quill's got about 5-10 more artics than they've needed in the past for the 14/23/79. Who knows though, the fact that they're retiring the whole 1998-2000 batch of D60s so quickly makes all the math weird. That could be the new priority over SBS artics now.

Fresh Pond destroyed them, Grand Ave babied them and ENY ran them to the ground lmao

Lol, good history. Long as it doesn't die on me while I'm on my way home, I'll be good. Mannyville maintenance has definitely been more than suspect in the past though, last thing that would help is buses that've been run that hard...

Edited by MHV9218

Those ENY buses are from 2005, the MHV units are 2006 buses.

I'm not up on bus moves, so it came as a shock to me to see spring creek buses running on the Q35 tonight.....

What is it with the Q52? Those crowds are still piling over there by Beach 95th st for the Q53 (twas about 30 ppl. that got on over there).... I overheard some chick saying "look at those Q52's right behind each other" (the both of them had just made the left hand turn onto rockaway bch blvd, so one of those bad boys were late).... Looking in the opposite direction on my ride on the 53, I must have saw like 8-10 Q53's heading in the opposite direction b/w broad channel & jamaica av.... Instead of riding the 53 out to QB, I just got off at Jamaica for the (J) to marcy for the B39....

Speaking of which, don't you just love when someone that doesn't know where they're going (or what bus is which), proceeds to stand in the way (blocking the front door so that) the person that does know what bus he's seeking to take can get on first...... Don't know about you guys, but that irks the heck out of me.....

MOVE.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Yeah, Far Rock depot is still closed so Q35 and other routes are running whatever they can get from SC and JFK or others. Few weeks ago, I saw 740 (probably gonna be retired when FR reopens unless it's going to CP) and an ex BL bus on the Q35, #137. Lol, those ex Bees just won't die!

Edited by Grand Concourse

Lol, good history. Long as it doesn't die on me while I'm on my way home, I'll be good. Mannyville maintenance has definitely been more than suspect in the past though, last thing that would help is buses that've been run that hard...

Dont get me wrong, ENY takes care of their buses under the hood but exterior wise that's another story lol

Yeah, Far Rock depot is still closed so Q35 and other routes are running whatever they can get from SC and JFK or others. Few weeks ago, I saw 740 (probably gonna be retired when FR reopens unless it's going to CP) and an ex BL bus on the Q35, #137. Lol, those ex Bees just won't die!

There was an ex bee-line over on B. 116th (that was powered off) in front of a LF that had just came from Woodside....

I was glad when the low floor (Q53) pulled up ahead of the ex-bee line.... I would've still had the back seat though, but still....

Yeah, those ex bees (lol) have some life to em, man.... all the mileage they've must have racked up, up in westchester over the years....

Slightly o/t.... I favor the seating arrangement on bee line's artics more than I do ours..... those first paired forward-facing seats towards the back of the bus in front of the glass (either side) FTW !

^ True enough. Those 1996s look crazy rough these days...

Those ENY buses are from 2005, the MHV units are 2006 buses.

What? Nah, ENY's 6620-6624 and MHV's 6625-6689 are 2005 units from the same time. Just a matter of how the buses have been treated.

Something about the keeping the regen system on at all times. The MTA wanted to but MCI said not to cuz it will get severely hot back there. Naturally the MTA didn't listen so the people at MCI took a block of wood and put it under the exhaust pipe. Sure enough the wood burst into flames.

thats what made them chicken out of the original order?

BusTime is a waste. What ever happened to schedules... Oh right the LAZY people. Too lazy to glance at the timetable and see when the bus is arriving.

BusTime tracks buses, for when they are LATE. (Or early)

BusTime is a waste. What ever happened to schedules... Oh right the LAZY people. Too lazy to glance at the timetable and see when the bus is arriving.

If I had a nickel for every time a bus has showed up at the scheduled time, I'd be begging on the street for more nickels...

Because the schedules are guidelines, they don't let me see if the bus that was supposed to show up around that time came early or was held up by traffic and is almost 10+min delayed. But I guess to you everyone is lazy.... Edited by Grand Concourse