• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the X17 on weekends sometimes. They need to be clear on the outbound trips (in other words make sure all B/Os know the set up). Either it's a drop-off only or it's both. Might as well keep it. I recall some X10s also skipping the part after Slosson on weekends because the B/O didn't know he was supposed to stop there.

The X10 thing is a little bit different because literally every X10 is supposed to stop there on weekends and pick up passengers. So either there was a misprint on the paddle, or the B/O made some mistake reading it (maybe during the week, they drive the X10B, or the few X10C trips that bypass Narrows Road South).

With the X17, I'm not sure if there's any official memos going around, but FWIW the B/O I had yesterday seemed like she realized at the last minute that she was supposed to stop in Brooklyn (I think a passenger asked her a question or something and she responded and said "Oh", and changed lanes to exit the expressway and passed by it without stopping since nobody needed to get on/off. That passenger was continuing to Staten Island). In other words, it seemed like she was doing it because she knew she had to. So hopefully all B/Os are aware of that.

I remember a while ago, there was an inbound X17 (and as you know, all inbound buses must stop at 86th on weekends) where somebody rang the bell, and the B/O announced on the loudspeaker "This is not a local bus. You're making me stop in Brooklyn. If you need to go to Brooklyn, you should take the 79 (I didn't realize the S79 stopped over by Lamberts Lane lol)". Looking back, I probably should've reported him, because aside from his rude attitude, if he's only stopping at 86th when passengers ring the bell, that means he's missing Manhattan-bound passengers that he is supposed to pick up without a doubt (let alone any SI-bound passengers at 86th). 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

The X10 thing is a little bit different because literally every X10 is supposed to stop there on weekends and pick up passengers. So either there was a misprint on the paddle, or the B/O made some mistake reading it (maybe during the week, they drive the X10B, or the few X10C trips that bypass Narrows Road South).

With the X17, I'm not sure if there's any official memos going around, but FWIW the B/O I had yesterday seemed like she realized at the last minute that she was supposed to stop in Brooklyn (I think a passenger asked her a question or something and she responded and said "Oh", and changed lanes to exit the expressway and passed by it without stopping since nobody needed it. That passenger was continuing to Staten Island). In other words, it seemed like she was doing it because she knew she had to. So hopefully all B/Os are aware of that.

I remember a while ago, there was an inbound X17 (and as you know, all inbound buses must stop at 86th on weekends) where somebody rang the bell, and the B/O announced on the loudspeaker "This is not a local bus. You're making me stop in Brooklyn. If you need to go to Brooklyn, you should take the 79 (I didn't realize the S79 stopped over by Lamberts Lane lol)". Looking back, I probably should've reported him, because aside from his rude attitude, if he's only stopping at 86th when passengers ring the bell, that means he's missing Manhattan-bound passengers that he is supposed to pick up without a doubt (let alone any SI-bound passengers at 86th). 

The problem is the old timers don't bother to even check, and don't you dare tell them that they didn't do XYZ right because then it's "don't tell me how to do my job".  On the same token I've had quite a few drivers over the years ask me about the route because they didn't know it.  There's other issues that come into play such as time changes.  For example, the last two Saturdays I've had to run to catch my damn bus because the guy is hitting all of the checkpoints early (and he has plenty of people on the bus so I don't know how he's arriving early).  He's a nice guy so I haven't reported him only for that reason.  When you report them that's when they'll become cognizant of what they should already be doing.  It's like check your damn time points BEFORE you start the trip! Some of these guys are taught something one way and afterwards, it's as if nothing else matters.

I don't think it's going to be universal with the X17.  Some will do it and some won't, and the people trying to get off in Brooklyn will certainly be chancing it.  Staten Islanders are the kings when it comes to using the express bus for non-Manhattan trips, and I have to admit I've done it plenty of times myself, but the thing is all of the transfers make sense, even the non-official ones.  I've seen quite a few people use the X10 from say Victory to around the Slosson area.  In my area, people that are either too stupid or desperate will take the express bus to 230th and Broadway for the subway.  We had two women today trying to pull that.  The driver said "EXPRESS ONLY" get the local bus, and they continued as if they were too stupid to comprehend.  So then he says, do you want to pay $6.50 to go these few stops?  That's when they seemed to get it.  Some of these people know what they're doing and just play stupid in an attempt to get on.  I've seen the same thing in Manhattan too where people knowingly get on because they don't want to wait for the local bus, and some drivers will let them since they are paying the $6.50 and the bus isn't crowded, but some people will file a complaint (myself included) if it means we're being held up as a result.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The problem is the old timers don't bother to even check, and don't you dare tell them that they didn't do XYZ right because then it's "don't tell me how to do my job".  On the same token I've had quite a few drivers over the years ask me about the route because they didn't know it.  There's other issues that come into play such as time changes.  For example, the last two Saturdays I've had to run to catch my damn bus because the guy is hitting all of the checkpoints early (and he has plenty of people on the bus so I don't know how he's arriving early).  He's a nice guy so I haven't reported him only for that reason.  When you report them that's when they'll become cognizant of what they should already be doing.  It's like check your damn time points BEFORE you start the trip! Some of these guys are taught something one way and afterwards, it's as if nothing else matters.

I don't think it's going to be universal with the X17.  Some will do it and some won't, and the people trying to get off in Brooklyn will certainly be chancing it.  Staten Islanders are the kings when it comes to using the express bus for non-Manhattan trips, and I have to admit I've done it plenty of times myself, but the thing is all of the transfers make sense, even the non-official ones.  I've seen quite a few people use the X10 from say Victory to around the Slosson area.  In my area, people that are either too stupid or desperate will take the express bus to 230th and Broadway for the subway.  We had two women today trying to pull that.  The driver said "EXPRESS ONLY" get the local bus, and they continued as if they were too stupid to comprehend.  So then he says, do you want to pay $6.50 to go these few stops?  That's when they seemed to get it.  Some of these people know what they're doing and just play stupid in an attempt to get on.  I've seen the same thing in Manhattan too where people knowingly get on because they don't want to wait for the local bus, and some drivers will let them since they are paying the $6.50 and the bus isn't crowded, but some people will file a complaint (myself included) if it means we're being held up as a result.

Well, it's the ones trying to get on in Brooklyn heading back to Staten Island who are really risking it (since the buses can just stay on the expressway and bypass them completely). If somebody's trying to get off in Brooklyn (from either direction), there might be an argument with the B/O, but ultimately, the B/O is supposed to stop there, so if they don't, it's something they can actually get written up for.

With the speed of the X17 once you're on it, it's worth the risk, though. A 10 minute bus ride would take 45 minutes (assuming good connections with the S62's 30 minute headways) by taking the S53-S62. (For somebody by the SI Mall or ETC, I'd say to stick with the S79 since it's more frequent and the time difference is less). 

The X10, when I've seen it done (or done it myself), it's usually been between some point along Narrows Road (usually Hylan Blvd) to/from some point west of Slosson. (In other words, they'd have to take the S79-S53-S62 and then do some walking in order to complete the same trip with the local bus). Like you said, it's no big deal as long as they keep it moving. I've even done it along Richmond Avenue if the S44/59 were backed up...the bus stops and lets off a passenger, and I just jump on, dip my MetroCard, and take a seat (and technically, Richmond & Victory is a transfer point anyway). 

That anecdote about the bus driver saying it's not a local bus. LMAO Express buses are definitely a chance when your waiting. The bus driver could be on the expressway and skipping your stop and you gotta wait 30min for the next one. Most of them do know the route and how to avoid traffic jams.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

i agree i also think they should write notifications on their paddles saying stop at this stop on weekends etc it's mandatory etc

There's also the issue of how horrible the (MTA) moves when they actually make mistakes.  A few years ago, we had a situation where there was an error on the run sheet of the BxM18 drivers.  I sent numerous complaints to the (MTA) about it because our bus stop was being bypassed every night, even though the bus stop was physically there with the signage and everything.  The real kicker was me and another guy who at the time worked for Joe Lhota at the (MTA) rasied hell and managed to get a dispatcher to come out and inspect.  So he walks up and down the block checking to see if there are any other BxM18 bus stops and sees none.  When our bus comes, we see the guy make a stop at a bus stop with no actual bus routes marked on the next block, and as he starts to approach our block where the actual stop is, the dispatcher steps into the street and orders the guy to stop to pick us up, and the driver had the audacity to get into an argument with him about it, telling him that his run sheet had the stop listed elsewhere (even though there was no physical bus stop there), and he was extremely reluctant to open the doors for us, so imagine if that dispatcher weren't there.  After a long and heated exchange, he finally opens the door. Me and the other guy get on.  We spoke to the dispatcher as well who had overhead us complaining about how these buses were doing the same crap every night and he stated that it was a typo on the run sheet, and that the correction would sent up the chain, but he had no idea how long it would take to actually get it corrected (he said it could take "months").  When I got off, I asked to see the guy's run sheet and he showed it to me because at that point I had planned to make some phone calls to speak with other people about remedying this problem.  Sure enough there was the error big as day. Long story short, someone else from Yonkers Depot noted that the error had been in place for quite some time and I guess they made an announcement to all B/Os about it and finally it stopped, but I have no idea how it took them to actually fix it officially.  Really ridiculous. Making sure that drivers are making the correct stops can become such a headache because all it takes is some newbie or a filler who isn't told and you have the same situation all over again, and mind you the guy that was making a stink about actually stopping was a veteran. He was just being a hard @ss because he called himself "warning me" the week before that the stop was being moved to a new location, even though the Department of Buses and several other sources I spoke with said otherwise.  It was his way of trying to tell me that he ran his ship one way and we needed to follow suit.  

That anecdote about the bus driver saying it's not a local bus. LMAO Express buses are definitely a chance when your waiting. The bus driver could be on the expressway and skipping your stop and you gotta wait 30min for the next one. Most of them do know the route and how to avoid traffic jams.

Yeah, but at the same time, it wasn't a drop off-only stop where he could at least justify it by saying that technically nobody was supposed to use it for local service. It was a pickup stop, which means it's that skipping it is just as bad (for any waiting passengers) as if he (or a local bus for that matter) decided to bypass the ETC (which requires a slight detour off Arthur Kill Road), or if an X10 decided to bypass the Narrows Road South stops on his inbound trip, or if a QM5 off-peak decided to to bypass the Fresh Meadows loop.

Whether the B/O feels that a certain run should bypass a certain section of the route is one thing, but the fact of the matter is that the bus is scheduled to make those deviations and some people could be making their trips based off the scheduled stops, which includes those detours. 

Now heading outbound, at least they can say "Well, they shouldn't have planned their trip based on attempting to catch an express bus for a local trip", which is something I can understand (and agree with, depending on whether the local service is adequate).

I just realized a new pick started yesterday. New schedules take effect on the S59/89 and S93. (No updated express schedules on any NYCT routes)

The Q52/53 has an updated schedule to reflect the extension of the Q52 to Beach 54th Street. On the Queens MTA Bus end, the Q18, Q38, Q39, Q49, Q69, Q72, QM1/5/6/31/35/36 also have updated schedules. The BM4 is the only one of the Spring Creek (BM) routes with an updated schedule.

SMH at all the variants on the Union Turnpike routes. It's like they're wannabe Hylan Blvd routes lol

I just realized a new pick started yesterday. New schedules take effect on the S59/89 and S93. (No updated express schedules on any NYCT routes)

The Q52/53 has an updated schedule to reflect the extension of the Q52 to Beach 54th Street. On the Queens MTA Bus end, the Q18, Q38, Q39, Q49, Q69, Q72, QM1/5/6/31/35/36 also have updated schedules. The BM4 is the only one of the Spring Creek (BM) routes with an updated schedule.

SMH at all the variants on the Union Turnpike routes. It's like they're wannabe Hylan Blvd routes lol

In addition, the Queens Bus Map has been updated but it says January 2017 on it

Some of you may not believe this, but I just saw a crushloaded Bx46 pass (towards Prospect Avenue). Makes sense though, because it is right around the time shifts change.

Today was also the Yankees' home opener (1pm game), the start of spring break, and a beautiful day, so most local bus routes were struggling with added ridership and added traffic ALL day long.

God help you if your route ran anywhere near the Deegan or the Bruckner/I-95 today. Someone do a wellness check on VG8, he must have absolutely dreaded his commute between the traffic on the express bus and the drunks on the Metro-North  :D

Edited by paulrivera

Today was also the Yankees' home opener (1pm game), the start of spring break, and a beautiful day, so most local bus routes were struggling with added ridership and added traffic ALL day long.

God help you if your route ran anywhere near the Deegan or the Bruckner/I-95 today. Someone do a wellness check on VG8, he must have absolutely dreaded his commute between the traffic on the express bus and the drunks on the Metro-North  :D

LMAO... Actually I took a Super Express BxM1 in this morning.  Very little traffic, likely due to Passover.  However, I am taking a semi-express train home... Two stops... Can't beat it...  :P

I was at 161st for the Low-V train and I couldn't believe how drunk some of the people coming off the (4) train were...

https://twitter.com/ydanis/status/852195530591674368

this is stupid it doesn't belong in NYC plus if i am not mistaken there will be a minor detour of express buses? 

It absolutely belongs in a pedestrian city like New York. We need more events like that, especially with bus corridors worked in. Who cares about the express buses going a block over?

It absolutely belongs in a pedestrian city like New York. We need more events like that, especially with bus corridors worked in. Who cares about the express buses going a block over?

lol New York is not a pedestrian friendly city it's a social engineering project that was started by the oligarch and continued by the crooked big bird. these car free events are stupid, and you say it was stupid for me to say that nyc was on the way to make the city car free or illegal in the city, well i still stand by it  (will debate merits of pedestrian city another time)

Did anyone see that bus that caught on fire on Lex this morning in Midtown? Saw it on the news... Crazy... They had the streets closed off for at least an hour.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/MTA-Bus-Fire-Midtown-Manhattan-Lexington-Avenue-45th-Street-419359064.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

Did anyone see that bus that caught on fire on Lex this morning in Midtown? Saw it on the news... Crazy... They had the streets closed off for at least an hour.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/MTA-Bus-Fire-Midtown-Manhattan-Lexington-Avenue-45th-Street-419359064.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

Crazy stuff. That bus is definitely going to be written off...

The two saving graces are that nobody was injured, and that it was an older bus that was going to be retired fairly soon anyway.

lol New York is not a pedestrian friendly city it's a social engineering project that was started by the oligarch and continued by the crooked big bird. these car free events are stupid, and you say it was stupid for me to say that nyc was on the way to make the city car free or illegal in the city, well i still stand by it  (will debate merits of pedestrian city another time)

This is not a debatable thing. Objectively speaking, for decades upon decades, New York has been a pedestrian city. Maybe you're thinking of Los Angeles or something.