• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg on 6011 right now and a lady just came inches away to scraping the side of the bus. She was in a white BMW and was just trying to overtake a biker.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Car drivers are absolutely crazy and selfish.  I was on an M100 a few months ago and we got into an accident because some idiot abruptly cut us off and we were unable to stop in time.

The (1) shuttle was trackable too, I think. I remember the runs all had a piece name--Mxxx something or other, but not MISC or *000 like others.

Yeah, it was under S1115 IIRC.

How they would be named and mapped out are a matter worthy of discussion.

How many shuttle maps should be done for one subway line? If there are multiple shuttles, like the ones common on the (1) shutdowns, should they be displayed on one map, or on various maps? How would they be named?

I mean, there's generally shuttle buses on one portion of the subway line, with a few exceptions (For example, last weekend on the (4) , there was two shuttles in the Bronx, one from 149 - GC to the Hub, and from Bedford Park to Woodlawn. The 149 Street Shuttle could have been displayed as a 2 or 5 shuttle). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I just can't wait for the day when the MTA start installing destination signs on the buses which shows where the buses are going and not just the route numbers. And the signs need to be big and illuminated so that they can be seen from at least a block away in front of the bus and another sign should be facing the passengers so they can see the sign when boarding the bus. I make it a point that the sign is set and correct before the first passenger boards but years and years of driving these same people they still are shocked when the buses make short trips.

I just can't wait for the day when the MTA start installing destination signs on the buses which shows where the buses are going and not just the route numbers. And the signs need to be big and illuminated so that they can be seen from at least a block away in front of the bus and another sign should be facing the passengers so they can see the sign when boarding the bus. I make it a point that the sign is set and correct before the first passenger boards but years and years of driving these same people they still are shocked when the buses make short trips.

Forget about the signs that being big enough to read a block away... <_< The biggest problem with passengers on a bus route that has short turns is the fact many of them don't read the signs in the first place combined with the fact some don't know where the bus is ending vs where they need to go. -_-

...because they don't read the signs to begin with.

Then want to suck their teeth at the driver & commence calling him/her everything except the son of god.....

The concept of a short turn is amiss to the average passenger.... It is always assumed that the bus is going to a] their destination along their route at all times & b] the full length of the route.... Otherwise, the immediate assumption is that there's some kind of problem with the bus itself....

"Did the bus break down"?

"Why is it not going 'all the way'..."

"Why we gotta get off here"

...are some of the things you'll hear at passenger level, from other passengers..... Depending on what mood I'm in (and the sanity the person looks like they have/haven't), I'll tell a concerned rider that there's nothing wrong with the bus, and that sometimes buses don't go "all the way down".....

Has the Stillwell Ave stop on the Bx12 SBS been activated yet? Is it still there?

BusTime does not recognize it after months of being active. SMH.

I'm not concerned about riders lacking knowledge about short-turns. I'm concerned about dispatchers lacking knowledge about the effects of short turns, especially on the Bx12.

If you want to hear a funny story, I'll give you one. There's a middle aged couple that takes the same Metro-North train as I do in the morning. They're somewhat new to Riverdale ... Came from Jackson Heights... Anyway, we started chatting about transportation options in the area, and the wife mentioned that they live on Independence and Henry Hudson Parkway (meaning just about EVERY bus in Riverdale stops literally in front of their building). Despite that, they were still amiss about where the buses stopped. lol Like hello there's a bus stop right there!

...because they don't read the signs to begin with.

Then want to suck their teeth at the driver & commence calling him/her everything except the son of god.....

The concept of a short turn is amiss to the average passenger.... It is always assumed that the bus is going to a] their destination along their route at all times & b] the full length of the route.... Otherwise, the immediate assumption is that there's some kind of problem with the bus itself....

"Did the bus break down"?

"Why is it not going 'all the way'..."

"Why we gotta get off here"

...are some of the things you'll hear at passenger level, from other passengers..... Depending on what mood I'm in (and the sanity the person looks like they have/haven't), I'll tell a concerned rider that there's nothing wrong with the bus, and that sometimes buses don't go "all the way down".....

My favorite variation on this theme is the exact opposite, where people find out that Nassau buses are closed-door within Queens but they just got on the N22 at 179 for a faster ride to Francis Lewis.

For starters it wasn't in house like BusTime is and it had a plethora of problems, one being the interference from the tall buildings so that led to it not being very accurate.

It worked really well with announcement and next bus signs. MTA thought it was too expensive.

It worked really well with announcement and next bus signs. MTA thought it was too expensive.

I thought it was horrible.  I tested it myself at 34th and 8th one day.  I was going back to my office and I could see a few M34 buses further down.  The countdown clock kept saying one thing but the buses weren't coming because they were stuck in traffic. Eventually I got so fed up that I gave up.

As I was looking to see if a Bx12 SBS was coming a little while ago, a guy with his girlfriend randomly gave me their receipt because they gave up on waiting and decided to take a cab.

Based on their receipt, he had a 30 day unlimited (implying they had some sort of expendable income) and was waiting for over 10 minutes for a bus. Less than 5 minutes later, a caravan of three buses shows up and I get on the second bus in the pack.

Gee, I wonder why there's declining bus ridership?

Edited by paulrivera

Is the Bx12 your only option?

Local and SBS, yea. Sometimes I'll just walk up the hill from Webster if there's still daylight and the weathers nice. After 6/7pm between October/November and April I tend not to walk it since it would be dark/cold and the stores on Fordham close up around that hour.

The cabs are like $8-$10, but I only do that if I need to go on Metro-North with luggage (usually coming back from a holiday.)

Which one got the lead out of the three?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The first two were neck and neck, and the third one kinda hung back.

As I was looking to see if a Bx12 SBS was coming a little while ago, a guy with his girlfriend randomly gave me their receipt because they gave up on waiting and decided to take a cab.

Based on their receipt, he had a 30 day unlimited (implying they had some sort of expendable income) and was waiting for over 10 minutes for a bus. Less than 5 minutes later, a caravan of three buses shows up and I get on the second bus in the pack.

Gee, I wonder why there's declining bus ridership?

That's a trend that I see all too often... 

Staten Island: Everything except the X2/3/4/5/9 (I also never got a chance to ride the X6/13/16/18/20 when they were around).

Damn, you missed out. The X13 and X16 were great runs. Although, I only rode those two once, they were sweet comfortable rides. Edited by S78 via Hylan

Damn, you missed out. The X13 and X16 were great runs. Although, I only rode those two once, they were sweet comfortable rides.

Yeah, when they actually came.  The X13 and X16 were two of the worst express buses around in terms of reliability.  Tons of missing buses.  I remember once being Downtown and deciding to take the X16 home after leaving the office early.  Got to the first stop for the first bus.... I along with several other people waited and waited... No bus.  Next bus is due... No bus... It's now after 17:00 and we're all wondering what's going on.  I decided to walk over to Broadway and see and I see a bus turning further up.  Come to find out, our stop was being skipped!  A dispatcher on Broadway sent us over to the bus and we all got on and were told not to pay.  I thought, well this is "nice". I don't have to dip my unlimited card...  <_<   I've also seen instances of drivers literally blowing by bus stops because they didn't know the route.  Happened to one poor soul waiting at the last X16 stop, flailing his arms in vain. lol

There was also the instance when the driver took the X13 route instead of the X16 route down Victory.  People were frantically yelling, but by then he had already gone too far south, so here we are on a little side street trying to get back over to Victory.  We almost got stuck because of how narrow the street was.  Just incredible.  I even helped one X13 driver do the entire Downtown Loop one morning because he didn't know the route.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8