Three different neighborhoods within a few hundred feet? Where to draw the line in Queens?

Shortline Bus

I was born in Astoria,I moved to Jackson Heights at 2 years old,I moved to Bayside at 10 years old,I moved to Elmhurst at 23,I moved to Flushing at 27 and I left Queens for good in 1997 when I moved to Brooklyn.

Where did you live in Elmhurst? I lived on 76th St, between 41st ave

and Woodside Ave when I was a little kid. Back then in the 80's it was

a different neighborhood then it is today.

When I lived in Queens (on 61 St & Myrtle), I always called that Glendale but half the time mine said Ridgewood as well

The Brooklyn-Queens borer that cuts Bushwick & Ridgewood is a weird one. From the cemetary, it travels down Moffat St (or that block near it, Wyckoff Av, between Gates & Linden Avs (literally through their backyards lol), Cypress Av, then after that, I'm not sure

Come to think of it, I don't know the border with Middle Village & Ridgewood

Isn't Fresh Pond Rd the border of Middle Village and Ridgewood?

My favorite "neighborhood" is the fictitious flatiron district in manhattan. I dunno why people are so obsessed over this stuff, there is no flatiron district, take it off the maps thanks.

- A

My favorite "neighborhood" is the fictitious flatiron district in manhattan. I dunno why people are so obsessed over this stuff, there is no flatiron district, take it off the maps thanks.

- A

It's only the 2 maybe 3 blocks around the Flatiron building. Any more then that and your being sold an expensive line of B*LLSHIT!

I was born in Queens and I still get lost driving sometimes.

And it's not my poor sense of direction either,:o

Ditto for me as well. :confused: I worked at a newspaper in Maspeth for couple of years and still get confused. Even a GPS system can make you turn your face in directions in that boro.

It's all a scam so that people not from Brooklyn or New York City will pay higher prices to live in these trendy "new" neighborhoods.

How is Trendy when Crackheads roam those streets at night?

I lived in Canarsie and there no physical border to Flatbush (which was 'a walk' away) East Flatbush starts somewhere by Avenue D while Canarise's Glenwood Road would branch off in Flatbush and that's were the border is supposably. With that and two Foster Avenues, i didn't know where Canarsie starts or end. (BTW I use live right next to the (L) ROW)

I've seen my location under 8 different names.

Queens, NY

Jamaica, NY (most common because of the zip code)

South Jamaica, NY

Springfield Gardens, NY

Locust Manor, NY

You get the point....and I don't think definite definitions are needed, just leave it alone.

I remember not too long ago when Trump? started up that "SoBro" (South Bronx) thing. I can picture "Anyone's who's anyone lives in SoBro" being said sometime in the future.

I have yet to hear anyone refer to this neighborhood as Locust Manor. The only reference to Locust Manor is the actual train station. There was a Springfield Gardens LIRR station on the intersection of Springfield Blvd and 140 Avenue that closed in the 1970's.

How is Trendy when Crackheads roam those streets at night?

I lived in Canarsie and there no physical border to Flatbush (which was 'a walk' away) East Flatbush starts somewhere by Avenue D while Canarise's Glenwood Road would branch off in Flatbush and that's were the border is supposably. With that and two Foster Avenues, i didn't know where Canarsie starts or end. (BTW I use live right next to the (L) ROW)

lol... not anymore...

anything that was considered east flatbush, south of Clarendon, is now considered (ready for this)

Flatbush Gardens.

...but all I see is weeds; the brown ones too !

lol... not anymore...

anything that was considered east flatbush, south of Clarendon, is now considered (ready for this)

Flatbush Gardens.

Like Parts of East New York becoming " Spring Creek" or " Gateway" ?

At home, Jackson Heights' borders are a little unclear too. I always thought of it as the BQE to the west, Junction Blvd. to the east, Roosevelt Ave. to the South and Northern Blvd. to the north. But the old QM22 and the Q69 terminate at Jackson Heights, even though that's all the way at Astoria Blvd. to the north.

lol... not anymore...

Flatbush Gardens.

Flatbush Gardens....

Really...really...really???

It's the same thing with Bedford-Stuyvesant (aka Bed-Stuy)...Stuyvesant Heights anyone???

And don't even get me started with these other "neighborhoods"...BoCoCa (Boerum Hill/Cobble Hill/Cambria Heights), Pigtown (now called Prospect-Lefferts Gardens), Little Poland (located within Greenpoint)...are you guys ready for this one?

ATURA (Atlantic Terminal Urban Renewal Area)

...They're really going way too far with these names....

I have yet to hear anyone refer to this neighborhood as Locust Manor. The only reference to Locust Manor is the actual train station. There was a Springfield Gardens LIRR station on the intersection of Springfield Blvd and 140 Avenue that closed in the 1970's.

I have (more than once), especially with that new half built-no progress in 2-3 years development across the LIRR tracks. In a few years "Locust Manor Estates" will be a sub-neighborhood of Locust Manor which is a sub-neighborhood of South Jamaica & Springfield Gardens. "Rochdale Village, NY" (which is also apart of this "Locust Jamaica Gardens" thing) seems to have given birth to a "Rochdale, NY" as well, neither of which are even close to official. 700 neighborhoods in one zip code.

Wasn't there a Cedar Manor station as well? I've never seen that sub-neighborhood mentioned anywhere other than on some maps. Addisleigh Park is also a ghost.

I like Queens the way it is, the set up is very unique compared to the other boroughs. A Manhattan-esque grid is too much and too city-ish, imagine having mile long blocks filled with houses that all look alike, it'd be like the twilight zone.

Like Parts of East New York becoming " Spring Creek" or " Gateway" ?

Not for nothin, but I'd want to separate myself/not be affiliated with ENY, also...

Problem is, Spring creek isn't as "safe" like quite a bit of folks make it out to be....

East Williamsburg I can accept (there is a map of NYC that has it west of Flushing Avenue and east of, like Lorimer Street, which I find to be acceptable boundaries). It has a different character than both Williamsburg and Bushwick (it is more industrial, and demographically, it is in the middle of the two areas)

DUMBO is another area I'll accept (since the name atarted about 20 years ago), but I think they're going overboard with RAMBO. Personally, I just think of the whole area as Fulton Ferry (I agree its not Downtown Brooklyn, but whenever I talk about it, I just refer to the whole area from Carroll Gardens to Fulton Ferry as Downtown Brooklyn)

I seriously believe "East Williamsburg" was made up by residents of Williamsburg....

([the marketable part] of Williamsburg has been on the upswing; an "up and coming" area for quite a while now)

...to separate itself from that particular part of (what they deem as East) Williamsburg, with Bushwick.

IMO, anything north of Mccarren park, is Greenpoint... Williamsburg pans no further east than the (L) at Grand & the (L) at Montrose - which is where Bushwick's western border begins... Bushwick's northern border is right where the Q54 & Q59 meet up, coming from Queens, into Brooklyn...

^^ That said, East Williamsburg doesn't exist to me.... never did.

I have no problem w/ DUMBO, except the part of it where they seceded itself from RAMBO (quote-unquote).... I don't consider RAMBO to be a neighborhood anyway....

Flatbush Gardens....

Really...really...really???

It's the same thing with Bedford-Stuyvesant (aka Bed-Stuy)...Stuyvesant Heights anyone???

And don't even get me started with these other "neighborhoods"...BoCoCa (Boerum Hill/Cobble Hill/Cambria Heights), Pigtown (now called Prospect-Lefferts Gardens), Little Poland (located within Greenpoint)...are you guys ready for this one?

ATURA (Atlantic Terminal Urban Renewal Area)

...They're really going way too far with these names....

oh, that BS... thanks for remindin me.

I tell friends & colleagues this everytime we talk about the "Brooklyn Nets"... I'd love to see them advertise "ATURA" when the Nets come to play here...

We all know it will be marketed as being in the "heart" of downtown brooklyn (which couldn't be any further from the truth)....

Anyway, yup, Flatbush gardens isn't just the name of those apartments over there on foster b/w brooklyn & nostrand anymore... it's supposedly its own neighborhood now... it's the binding area north of farragut, south of avenue D, east of nostrand (I've even heard as far east as flatbush av), and west of Albany.... *smdh*

"BoCoCa" makes me sick to my stomach... it reeks of a potential yuppieville USA...

(btw, you mean carroll gardens, not cambria heights)

Little poland I consider to be nothin more than a nickname for Greenpoint...

Ha, this thread is fun, let's see if you guys are familiarwuth these neighborhoods in Queens:

Pomonok

Blissville

Malba

Ravenswood

Tudor Village

Ramblersville

Wamerville

...can someone PLEASE tell me the difference between Howard Beach and OLD Howard Beach ???!!!

Continuing on, it's like there's a neighborhood within a neighborhood...Electchester is in Forest Hills...the Queensbridge Projects are all part of Long Island City, yet that project complex is like it's own neighborhood, ha!

lol... not anymore...

Flatbush Gardens.

8156.rage_face.jpg

But I just checked, Wikipedia doesn't mention "Flatbush Gardens" at all.

Ha, this thread is fun, let's see if you guys are familiarwuth these neighborhoods in Queens:

Pomonok

Blissville

Malba

Ravenswood

Tudor Village

Ramblersville

Wamerville

...can someone PLEASE tell me the difference between Howard Beach and OLD Howard Beach ???!!!

Continuing on, it's like there's a neighborhood within a neighborhood...Electchester is in Forest Hills...the Queensbridge Projects are all part of Long Island City, yet that project complex is like it's own neighborhood, ha!

without "cheating"....

- Pomonok was, what Electchester is today, which is over there where the Q64 runs (east of like, main st)...

Q64 destination signs read *Electchester - 164th st*.... you probably meant to say Kew Gardens Hills....

(Forest hills the area south of the 71st av & 75th av stations on the QB subway lines)

- Blissville is that area, as soon as you reach the Queens side of Greenpoint av

- Malba is that small pocket/area below the Whitestone Bridge on the Queens side (to the right, if you're entering Queens, to the left as you're leaving Queens)

- I had an ex that lived in the Ravenswood houses... that's over there around 21st st & the mid 30's (avenues)

- only tudor village I know of, is in CT (Hartford).... but I know you're not referring to that one... lol...

- I heard of Ramblersville, but never knew where it was...

- lol @ Wamerville, don't have a clue where that is...

- ah, the howard beach/hamilton beach confusion...

1) Howard beach generally is anything below X-bay blvd & the belt.....

2) Old Howard beach & Hamilton beach, lies w/i Howard beach (current)...

3) You know where Q11's terminate (east of X-bay) on the 165th/99th st side, that's Old Howard beach....

4) Hamilton beach is where Q11's terminate on the 165th/104th side

Not for nothin, but I'd want to separate myself/not be affiliated with ENY, also...

Problem is, Spring creek isn't as "safe" like quite a bit of folks make it out to be....

I seriously believe "East Williamsburg" was made up by residents of Williamsburg....

([the marketable part] of Williamsburg has been on the upswing; an "up and coming" area for quite a while now)

...to separate itself from that particular part of (what they deem as East) Williamsburg, with Bushwick.

IMO, anything north of Mccarren park, is Greenpoint... Williamsburg pans no further east than the (L) at Grand & the (L) at Montrose - which is where Bushwick's western border begins... Bushwick's northern border is right where the Q54 & Q59 meet up, coming from Queens, into Brooklyn...

^^ That said, East Williamsburg doesn't exist to me.... never did.

I have no problem w/ DUMBO, except the part of it where they seceded itself from RAMBO (quote-unquote).... I don't consider RAMBO to be a neighborhood anyway....

oh, that BS... thanks for remindin me.

I tell friends & colleagues this everytime we talk about the "Brooklyn Nets"... I'd love to see them advertise "ATURA" when the Nets come to play here...

We all know it will be marketed as being in the "heart" of downtown brooklyn (which couldn't be any further from the truth)....

Anyway, yup, Flatbush gardens isn't just the name of those apartments over there on foster b/w brooklyn & nostrand anymore... it's supposedly its own neighborhood now... it's the binding area north of farragut, south of avenue D, east of nostrand (I've even heard as far east as flatbush av), and west of Albany.... *smdh*

"BoCoCa" makes me sick to my stomach... it reeks of a potential yuppieville USA...

(btw, you mean carroll gardens, not cambria heights)

Little poland I consider to be nothin more than a nickname for Greenpoint...

So they made up the name to try to keep the rents lower?

And I agree with you about Little Poland being a nickname for Greenpoint, the same way Little Odessa is a nickname for Brighton Beach.

Pomonok

Blissville

Malba

Ravenswood

Tudor Village

Ramblersville

Wamerville

I'll try:

Pomonok: The area around Queens College

Blissville (the area around the 46th Street station on the (7))

Malba: The area west of the Whitestone Expressway just after you enter Queens on the Whitestone Bridge

Ravenswood: The housing projects in Astoria, north of the Queensbridge Houses (I believe they are around 36th Avenue/21st Street)

Tudor Village: No idea. Forest Hills maybe.

Ramblersville: I know it was a former station somewhere along the Rockaway Line. I think it was Howard Beach.

Wamerville: No idea

Archived