The (:P ran via 4 Av/West End

(D) running on Brighton

(6) running between Pelham Bay Park and 125 St late nights

(C) running between 168 St and WTC weekends

Broadway and 6 Av swapping service on the Manhattan Bridge until 2004

A (S) running between 21 St-Queensbridge and 2 Av late nights

(M) terminating at 9 Av during middays

All of the previous statements and more. For example:

a) When on the #1, #2, #5, #6, and #7 lines - the TA had so many train cars that on weekends and at night, trains were stored on the middle tracks for the whole night or weekend. And this was BEFORE graffiti had really set in.

:P When there were diifferent train cars along each line, and the signage for each car was hand-cranked into position. It was one of the best ways to learn about the various terminals and permutations of each of the lines.

c) When the trains for the most part on the IRT lines, and most of the BMT-IND were NOT air-conditioned. Where the best places to be cool were near the open end doors of each train.

d) When walking between the cars were an everyday activitiy. When the TA tried out different paint schemes for the IRT trains as they tried to get rid of graffiti, and the gastly period when the trains were painted white on the outsides. Also when they cut the trains down to five cars during the non-rush hours - a really big mistake.

e) When the CC ran only duriing the rush hours, to/from the Bronx using the oldest cars the R-1 type cars in the system. While at the same time, the A-train used the R-10 type cars, that were later used on the CC.

f) When J, KK, and L trains used the R-1, or similar looking cars all of the time. My first trips to that section of Brooklyn were really interesting - because I did not live in Brooklyn and only knew the subway map. This was well before air-conditioning.

g) When the #7 actually used the blue-bird World Trade Center cars, and on the subway maps the #7 was orange. Finding TA produced train schedules that were eye-openers on various details of the lines.

h) When the Bronx Third Avenue El was in operation, and the transfer connection at 149th Street-Third Avenue going to Claremont Park as a kid to the pool. Well before I was a budding transit fan

i) When the transit fare was 30 cents, and during college at 35 cents. Learning the whole 14th Street-Union Square complex before it was renovated to it's present state, and plenty of other stations.

j) When the South Ferry shuttle actually ran, and the #5 ran to South Ferry on the weekends - and actually taking the train there.

k) When the Transit Museum just opened, and it was called the Transit Exhibit. Later on taking my kids and classes to the museum.

L) Using the old lower level of the 42nd Street-8th Avenue station to transfer between the uptown and downtown sides - as I learned about the subway system.

m) Using the Bedford Avenue exit of the Nostrand Avenue station on the current A and C lines in Brooklyn. The passage used to be open to allow a person to change from the uptown to/from the downtown sides. Marveling at the bi-level station the first where the express trains are on top, unlike the Manhattan Lexington Avenue stations at 59th Street or 86th Street.

n) Riding the E-train as a rush-hour express along 8th Avenue well before the CC was extended to Brooklyn rush hours. Learning about the Fulton Street line in Brooklyn, and the whole extension to the Rockaways - and going there just for the heck of it.

o) Riding plenty of #1 trains that terminated at 137th Street-City College.

p) Having never used the old Franklin Shuttle, especially while the guys were "exchanging the paper transfers" -- and later actually using the new Franklin Shuttle. However later reading much about the route - when I became a transit fan. For me, traveling to the various places by subway was one thing, but actually LEAVING subway was something else.

q) Having never actually used the Culver Shuttle in Brooklyn, learning about it later as a transit fan. Keeping and reviewing old subway maps - learning the lines and stations. Being given a copy of "Uptown-Downtown" by Stanley Fischler for my birthday by my best friend in college, and reading the book from cover to cover in a weekend. Traveling to the various places listed in the book. Having to buy another copy of a transit book - because another friend of mine turned out to be a transit nut who "borrowed and never returned" it.

r) As a high school student attempting to figure out how the QB train could only run in ONE direction during the rush hours, and being amazed at the Chambers Street station of the QJ and M lines.

s) Actually riding the QJ or J train when it was a rush hour express to/from Eastern Parkway and over the Williamsburg Bridge, while the KK was the local route. Traveling to/from the 168th Street station on the QJ or J train just for the heck of it, and spending a few days learning about the Eastern Parkway and Atlantic AVenue complex of tracks.

t) When my only track maps were the maps that I had to learn to draw by hand, as I learned the transit system. There were no track map books or internet to look things up - in the days well before personal computers. Where my first computer a CP/M Kaypro had a speedy 300 baud modem that was upgraded 1200 baud the next year. That's well before MS-DOS, well before Windows or mouses, etc.

u) Reading the city's first Master Plan at the public library where they talked about the Second Avenue subway, plans for new Queens routes - a Super-Express, extensions of lines to Brooklyn and the Bronx - they even talked about the N-train traveling to Pelham Bay or Co-op City using Amtrak trackage!

v) When City College and the rest of the City University had FREE Tuition, and being at the school when the 128-year tradition died during the 1970's fiscal crisis. Traveling to/from CCNY was a daily trips using the #6, #4, and the CC or D trains.

w) Traveling to high school on the westside of Manhattan to 59th Street, walking by the NY Coliseum and the Auto-Shows, and having 6 separate ways to get home depending upon my mood.

x) Daily seeing the 49th street station on the N and R lines BEFORE it was renovated in Orange brick - when EE and RR trains only stopped there.

y) Making plans and trips on the subway after high-school or during college when I had free time - to visit segments of the subway that I had never been just for the heck of it. Looking out the front windows as I rode the trains with paper in hand to note tracks, statiions and switches as I rode along say the F out past Kings Highway or the D-train to Brighton Beach - all on 1 token.

z) When one bought 10 tokens to last for the week, and being pissed off when a token became lost. Or going "out of your way" to transfer from one line to another just so one would not use an extra token.

Well, that's just some of what i remember.

Mike

-Remembered when people loved the R160 but when the R160 came in and ate the R38/40 and some R32s/42s people bashed it

-Photography was NOT an issue in the system before or around 9/11

-Redbirds rocked the 90s and early 2000s(And still do), especially on the (7)

-When the 63rd Street tunnel east of 21st street was under construction

-(2)(3) trains were rerouted and replace with bus routes L1/L2/L3/ L4(?) during the Lenox IRT Rehab

-(5)s ran R62As with the (2)

-®s ran 24 Hours and the (F) ran local along the QBL

-The Old Coney Island Station

-Orange (Q6Av)

-People didn't complained about how good or bad service was.

-A fishbowl on the M116(Or M102) bus before 1995(Yeah thats the oldest i remember and i was just a kid lol)

theres, more but ill keep it basic!

Yellow slam gates in stations

My station didn't have a metro card machine

The old IND turnstiles with wooden arms

When (F) trains were given skips and used the express tracks from 4th Av to Jay St

The (Q6av) and (:P with slants

Riding on R110A on the (2)

Riding the Redbirds on the (2)(5) & (6)

When Nereid Ave had E 238 St on the station sign

When all stations between 241 St & Gun Hill Rd on the (2) had the word "East" on them

Being somewhat scared on the (7) in '01 when the train reached the 3rd rail gap (I was 13 at the time, and it my first time on the (7))

I don't normally post often......but I really like this thread! Let me see what I remember....

A. From my earliest memories living for years along the Jerome Avenue El (4) line to the present:

* White graffiti-covered IRT cars (always not in service, never picking up passengers, and sometimes even coupled to newly-rebuilt Redbirds) running on the Jerome Line (railcar moves I assume) as late as 1988/89.

* Seeing some trains (sometimes as short as 3-cars and as long as about 8-10 cars if i remember correctly) of yellow work motors R17/21/22s also as late as 1988/89.

* (For this one I'll need someone to confirm for me if this was an actual practice or not...info would greatly be appreciated) A particular time back in 1989 I remember seeing an instance where there seemed to be a test involving three R62 cars - where one lone R62 car would run back and forth from one car (stationed at M Track outside 176th Street station) to the other (stationed smack between Mt. Eden Avenue and 170th Street Station.) As I look back to that I'm wondering if this was similar to what was done a while back when SMS'd R62s (now in 5-car sets) ran tests on that same stretch of track.

* When trains really flew southbound on the stretch between 167th Street and Yankee Stadium.

* (Another thing I need confirmation on) - when the (4) line ran 8-car trains on weekends back in about 1990/1991 or so.

* Railcar moves involving very interesting mixes of Redbirds and R62 and R62As from various lines in the early '90s.

* (4) line borrowing R36ML and WF cars from the (6) line on weekends around 1996 or 1997 and R62As from various lines briefly back in 2003.

* The 2000 World Series where a special R142 Subway Series train made a trip to Yankee Stadium each game.

B. Other Subway - Related things.....I remember:

* R68As on the (D) line. (4-car trains on weekends around 1993-1994 or so)

* Green R10 cars in 1989, R30 Redbirds, and R32/38s on the (C) line when it ran rush hours on the Concourse Line.

* Speaking of which, when the (C) could take me from the Bronx to Far Rockaway...

* The (;) and (C) swap in 1998.

* Tokens - especially the 10 pack...

* Old turnstiles at the 149th Street - Grand Concourse station

* Almost no lighting in some stations at night

* When on the IRT yard marker colors under the car number actually meant something....today, not so much, especially with NTT equipment and the sharing of equipment on some lines.

* When the (5) line ran 6-car trains and the (6) line ran 7-car trains on weekends

* Union Square Wreck of 1991

* When RFWs were a norm...

* Crazy teens riding / holding on the the very back end of the train.

* When passengers didn't listen to music on Ipods, but on Walkman's and disc players.

* R110A/B testing....

-M.F. '86

<4>

I remember when:

I rode R32 & R40M/42s on the Hillside Ave. Express on the (E).

Not knowing what would pop up on my (F) to school: R32,40M,42,46 or R160.

Riding the Grand St. Shuttle with a 4-car set of R46s.

The old routing of the (L) after Shutter Ave. to Atlantic Ave.

let's see:

Redbirds on the 2, 4, 5, 6, 7

R30's on the C

R32's on the A, B, E, F, G, N, Q via 6Av, Q via Bway, R, S various shuttles, V, W (C doesnt count yet)

R40 Slants on the A, B, C, D, L, M, N, Q via 6Av, Q via Bway, Q Diamond, W

R40M's on the A, B, C, D, E, F, G, J, L, M, N, Q via 6 Av, Q via Broadway, Q

Diamond, R, S Essex St shuttle, V, W, Z

R42's on the A, B, C, D, E, F, G, L, M, N, Q via 6 Av, Q Broadway Exp, Q diamond, R, S Essex St Shuttle, V, W (J and Z doesnt count yet)

R44's on the A and C (SIR doesnt count yet)

R46's on the B (once), C (once), D (once), E, F, N, Q via Broadway, S Grand St Shuttle, V. (A, G and R doesnt count yet)

R62's on the 1, 2 (once), 4, 5 (once), 6 (once) (3 doesnt count yet)

R62A's on the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 (1 and 7 doesnt count yet)

R68's on the E (once), F (once), N, Q via 6 Ave (with <Q> bullet), Q via Broadway, S Grand St Shuttle and W. (B, D, G and S Franklin Av Shuttle doesnt count yet.)

R68A's on the A (once), C (once), D, E (once), F (once), Q via 6 Av with both (Q6Av)<Q> logos, Q via Broadway, S via West End Shuttle and W (B and N doesnt count yet)

R110A's on the 2

R110B's on the A and C

R142's on the 1, 3, 7 (once) (2, 4, 5, 6 doesnt count yet)

R142A's on the 2, 5 (4 and 6 doesnt count yet)

R143's on the M (L doesnt count yet)

R160's on the A, B (once), C (once), D (once), G, L, M via Nassau, V and W (E, F, J, M, N, Q, R doesnt count yet)

old Routes:

(A) via Fulton St Local on weekends

(:P via West End/4 Av, to and from 168 St

(C) via Grand Concourse during rush hrs

(D) via Brighton

(E) via Fulton St during the 9/11 emergency plan

(F) via 53 St

(G) via Queens Blvd

(J) to/from Bay Ridge during the 9/11 emergency plan

(Mx) route itself, and running via Sea Beach during the 9/11 emergency plan

(N) via Broadway Local thru Whitehall St 24/7

(Q6Av) via 6 Av, terminating at 21 St-Queensbridge

<Q> via Broadway/Brighton Exp

(S) Grand St Shuttle

(S6) 6 Av Shuttle

(S) 63 St Shuttle

(V) route itself

(W) route itself, and via West End/4 Av

(9) route itself.

Crazy G.O.'s:

A/C via F line between Jay-West 4 Sts

B via F line between West 4 St-Coney Island

B via C line between 59 St Columbus Circie-Euclid Av

B via N line between 36 St-Coney Island

D via F line between West 4 St and Coney Island

D via A line W 4 St-59 St

D via N/R line between DeKalb Av and 34 St via Whitehall St

E via R line between Queens Plz-Whitehall St

E via Q/R line between Queens Plaza-Brighton Beach

E via F line between West 4 St and Coney Island

F via R line between Queens Plaza-34 St

F via B West End line between West 4 St-Coney Island

F via D Brighton Line between West 4 St-Coney Island

F via G line Bergen St-Queens Plz

F via A/C line between West 4 St-Jay St

F via C line between Jay St-Euclid Av

F via N line between Coney Island and Lex Av-59 St

G via F line between Bergen St-Queens Plz

G via D/F line between Coney Island-Queens Plaza

M via N line between 36 St-Kings Hwy

M via R line between 36 St-95 St

N via R line between 36 St-95 St

N via D/Q/B Brighton Line between Coney Island-DeKalb Av

Q 6 Av via F line between West 4 st-Coney Island

Q via whitehall st on weekends

Q via D/W West End line between DeKalb Av-Coney Island

Q via N Sea Beach line between DeKalb Av-Coney Island

R via D line between 36 St-9 Av.

R via E line between Queens Plaza-WTC

R via D/B/F line between Queens Plz-DeKalb Av

R via D/V line beween DeKalb Av and Queens Plz

V via F line between Roosevelt Av and Rockefeller Ctr

V via F line between 2 Av and Kings Hwy

V via N/B line between Coney Island-Rockefeller Ctr

V via E line between Queens Plaza-West 4 St

V via F/C line between 2 Av and Euclid Av

W via N line between Coney Island-Canal St

1 via 3 line between Chambers St-New Lots Av during 9/11 emergency plan

2 via 4/5 line between Nevins St-149 St/Grand CC

2 via 1 line between 96 St-137 St

3 via 1 line between 96 St-137 St

3 via 2 line between 135 St-241 St

3 via 2/5 line between 135 St-Dyre Av

3 via 2/5 line between Franklin Av-Flatbush Av

4 via 2 line between Nevins St-149 St-Grand CC

4 via 2/5 line between Franklin Av-Flatbush Av

4 via 6 line between 125 St-138 St/3 Av

5 via 2 line between Nevins St-149 St/Grand CC

5 via 2 line between E 180 St-241 St

5 via 3 line between Franklin Av-New Lots Av

6 via 4 line between 125 St-149 St/Grand CC

lol thats all i can think of.

1. When subway stations were lit by light bulbs in the 70s. Specially El stations.

2. When utility cables and wires were not covered along the beams.

3. The wooden turnstiles and the yellow wooden handrails.

4. I actually rode in a r12 (I think) with cushion seats. Got on it at President street by surprise in the 80s when the 3 and 4 went to Flatbush.

5. The multi-colored train consists due to a mixture of different train cars.

6. Being able to look out the front window.

7. Windows opened for air.

8. Tokens were .75!

9. For some reason the t/o (Motorman) had to go outside the front while we were stopped in the tunnel to tweak something before moving on. I've seen this more than once on the IRT line while enjoying my view at the front window and had to step aside.

10. Seeing a diversity of window types throughout the tunnels while traveling. Like the four circular windows on some train doors etc.

I miss the old NYC subway system's flavor.

9. For some reason the t/o (Motorman) had to go outside the front while we were stopped in the tunnel to tweak something before moving on. I've seen this more than once on the IRT line while enjoying my view at the front window and had to step aside.

That sounds like the old way to key-by a signal. Instead of bridging the "IJ" and waiting for the stop arm to go down, the IRT gave its M/M a special key. It looks like a signal key (triangle lock) but is longer. Turing the key applied air tot he trip arm, forcing it down so the train could pass a signal at danger. This required the M/M to actually get off the train and go to the road bed. I know a few M/M who still carry these keys though they are obsolete.

I remember looking out the RFW on the (4), R62 and Redbirds on my way home from school.

I remember when R42's and R44 had strip maps in them

I remember riding R42's and R32's on the (D)

I remember the (AA) and the (K)

I remember when the (E) was 100% R46

I remember when I saw a GOHed R46 and then a GOHed R44 months later

I remember the (1) when they had R21's and R22's covered in graffiti.

I remember when R62A's started coming on the (1) and the (3)

We should ask Trainmaster about #9, he might know why the train operator actually stepped into the tunnel.

INDman answered your question as far as I'm concerned. There is one other possibility. I'll leave that to your imagination. Carry on.

Probably one of the best memories I had was when me and a few friends decided to climb on top of the school trailors at P.S 7 (school can be seen right along the curve near the Cypress Hills station). A work train was passing by and with me being a 'TrainFanatic', I decided that we should all shout and give the m/m the signal to blow the horn. He gave us the classic "Shave and a Haircut" and a friendly wave. :cool:

I remember riding the old Myrtle Avenue el, the MJ, from Metropolitan to Jay Street on Q cars with one sliding door per exit.

I remember the 70(M) Broadway Brooklyn express.

I remember when the large letter logos on R40s, R40Ms, and R42s were changed to smaller icons like the R46s.

I remember when lines shared a colors randomly such as: 70(3), 70(E), and 70(M); 70(4)70 and 70(F); 70(6) and (N); 70(A) and 70(K); 70(5), 70(LL), and 70(J); 70(CC), 70(SS), 70(RR) and 70(GG); 70(QB) and 70(2); 70(D), 70(EE), 70(7), and 70(1).

I remember when the A had R38s.

I remember when I rode a (4) redbird, stopped at Grand Central/42st and transferred to a (7) redbird to go to Queens.

I remember the orange Q and when the D ran local in the Brighton line.

• 1 month later...

I remember when platforms had vending machines. You could purchase Zagnut bars and Planter's Peanut Bars from them.

I remember when East Tremont Avenue-West Farms Square was East 177th Street-West Farms Square and when Intervale Avenue was Intervale Avenue-163d Street.

I remember when the (2) ran East 241st Street to New Lots Avenue, creating an elevated ride on the ends and a subway ride in the middle. The (3) ran 148th Street-Lenox Terminal to Flatbush Avenue.

I remember:

*Redbirds dominating the IRT lines (2)(4)(5)(6) & (7).

*The (C) via Concourse Local during rush hours.

*The <5> to Wakefield prior to 1995.

*The Williamsburg Bridge rehabilitation: (Z) ended at Broadway Junction, (J) ended at Myrtle Ave, the (M) ended at Marcy Av. There was a Nassau St Shuttle, and a rush hour (Mx) operating from Chambers St to Bay Parkway.

*The 63 St Shuttle via BMT Broadway

*(:P had 4 northern branches; Washington Hts, Bedford Park, 145 St, and Queensbridge.

*The notorious Pelham Shuttle during the nocturnal hours before 1999 and the (:) West End shuttle.

*(D)(Q6Av) via the Brighton line and the (:) via West End.

when people did not complain about everything.
when we had nothing either lol, we had nothing and people didnt complain for anything . oh when the (C) went too bedford park bronx,also i remember when the laid up all the redbird btw 135th st and 96st when they were doing construction on the lenex ave line, the (2) ran on the lex uptown and downtown on the 7th ave line 1998 until 2000

Archived