New Flyer C40LF Discussion

why can't the ta convert the 120 opitions to regular busses?

How many 2012 C40LF New Flyer CNG will able to replace remaining Orion5 CNG at Spring Creek Depot. They have 11 Orion5 CNG remaining left at Spring Creek Depot.

MTA doesn't need 120 more CNG buses. After delivery is complete, Gleason will have 17 old C40's to replace, CP will have 4 O5's to replace, and Spring Creak will have 4 OG's left. This is a total of 28 buses, which means the MTA would order no more than about 30 buses to replace them. They could also rock out with 28 old buses.....

Note: Gleason has exactly 28 old C40LF's in service now.

Will this order that is starting to come in be 2012 model year or 2013?

This order will be complete by the end of the year. They are 2012 models, and don't forget that the C40LF was officially discontinued almost 4 years ago. This order is just for MTA specification.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also a member said earlier that he saw them "keeping up with" traffic on the last batch of the original coming in... Did they take the governor

They must be set to at least 65 for the trip to NY because they were keeping pace with a Trailways bus.

As a comment. How can you be sure these 4 depot of CNG that Spring Creek Depot , College Point Depot , Jackie Gleason Depot , West Farms Depot well able to maintain the C40LF New Flyer. Example how did 2 bus Orion5 CNG #9871 , & West Farms Depot Orion7 CNG exploded or what ever happen. It won't happen this time.

This order will be complete by the end of the year. They are 2012 models, and don't forget that the C40LF was officially discontinued almost 4 years ago. This order is just for MTA specification.

I asked because the school buses I'm currently delivering are 2013's and the C40LF's have to be going on over a year of production (I assume I don't remember the exact dates but will probably have to be over a year by the time the order transferred from Orion is complete). Are these all just going to be 2012 or will they change the model year at any point? If they don't it's a little crazy (to me anyway) that some of the 2012 will be a year older than other 2012... In 12 years there will be a discussion here saying "no X (whatever amount of buses) are also 2012's but will not be retired this year because they were built a year later than the other 2012's. lol Does this happen much? Are there buses like this in the MTA that are the same model but over a year older than another bus with a certain model year. I thought thats why they have model years. From xx/xx/xx is a 2012 from xx/xx/xxxx is a 2013 etc...

They must be set to at least 65 for the trip to NY because they were keeping pace with a Trailways bus.

This just blows my mind when I first started delivering these buses they were set at 55 (but the buses really did 54 sometimes you'd luck out and get one that did 55 56). Drivers complained to the company (and I shared the opinion) that driving these buses at such a low speed was dangerous because you could not get over for vehicles merging onto the highway then some knuckle heads would cause a dangerous situation who was not looking or (not look) and assume you moved over for them and almost cause an accident. You really had to watch everyone merging in.... If you were lucky enough to get over for them you'd be stuck in the left lane and start backing up traffic because the idiots would start going around you (even with the right signal on) on the right and you'd be stuck there until it was clear.

I was told New Flyer was set on the buses being governed at that speed because the (I think) the tires were not made for highway driving and they were very concerned with that.

BZGuy, any chance this was going downhill?

MTA doesn't need 120 more CNG buses. After delivery is complete, Gleason will have 17 old C40's to replace, CP will have 4 O5's to replace, and Spring Creak will have 4 OG's left. This is a total of 28 buses, which means the MTA would order no more than about 30 buses to replace them. They could also rock out with 28 old buses.....

Note: Gleason has exactly 28 old C40LF's in service now.

Lucky us !

I have no idea what that means..... lol

"The Buy" aka "New Bus" - an assortment of Superintendent's from both transportation and maintenance, that are assigned to inspect new buses before they go in service. They are also the ones that put new bus models through their paces, go to bus manufacturing plants to tour the facilities, and go to bus EXPO's to again check out new bus models and new product. They travel, they are put up in hotels, and they are fed all on the MTA's dime...it's a dream job

"The Buy" aka "New Bus" - an assortment of Superintendent's from both transportation and maintenance, that are assigned to inspect new buses before they go in service. They are also the ones that put new bus models through their paces, go to bus manufacturing plants to tour the facilities, and go to bus EXPO's to again check out new bus models and new product. They travel, they are put up in hotels, and they are fed all on the MTA's dime...it's a dream job

That really sounds like a dream job, amazing. I bet they LOVE their jobs.

I asked because the school buses I'm currently delivering are 2013's and the C40LF's have to be going on over a year of production (I assume I don't remember the exact dates but will probably have to be over a year by the time the order transferred from Orion is complete). Are these all just going to be 2012 or will they change the model year at any point? If they don't it's a little crazy (to me anyway) that some of the 2012 will be a year older than other 2012... In 12 years there will be a discussion here saying "no X (whatever amount of buses) are also 2012's but will not be retired this year because they were built a year later than the other 2012's. lol Does this happen much? Are there buses like this in the MTA that are the same model but over a year older than another bus with a certain model year. I thought thats why they have model years. From xx/xx/xx is a 2012 from xx/xx/xxxx is a 2013 etc...

This just blows my mind when I first started delivering these buses they were set at 55 (but the buses really did 54 sometimes you'd luck out and get one that did 55 56). Drivers complained to the company (and I shared the opinion) that driving these buses at such a low speed was dangerous because you could not get over for vehicles merging onto the highway then some knuckle heads would cause a dangerous situation who was not looking or (not look) and assume you moved over for them and almost cause an accident. You really had to watch everyone merging in.... If you were lucky enough to get over for them you'd be stuck in the left lane and start backing up traffic because the idiots would start going around you (even with the right signal on) on the right and you'd be stuck there until it was clear.

I was told New Flyer was set on the buses being governed at that speed because the (I think) the tires were not made for highway driving and they were very concerned with that.

BZGuy, any chance this was going downhill?

It's kind of tricky here. We have 2011, and 2012 C40LF's, but they don't have a model year as that model was discontinued prior to contract award. When the last of these buses roll of the line by years end that will be it unless the MTA exercises an option. Should they do that, we will have a few 2013 buses. These buses are basically custom made. Those don't typically carry model years.

Now the XD60's for example are regular production buses. So even though 4710, and 4711 are 2012 models, the model year is 2013 from what I understand.

Once production stops on a vehicle, the model year ends at the point the it was discontinued.

However, there is an exception. When Orion discontinued the VII they already had orders in the works for what would be 2013 models. These are the buses with LED headlamps. Production of these buses were supposed to run through 2013 until it was replaced by the Orion VIII.

Ahh.... Thanks. I always call them "The Clique" lol.

What I do is along those lines. I am actually the CEO and founder of a start-up company called Daimond Industries. I recently merged my transit consulting division into MG Transportation Consulting & Design, so I could better focus on a select few transit agencies, bus manufactures, and major component suppliers.

I also hold another position within the transit industry that would make most everybody shit bricks, however, only a select few know what that is, and I care to keep it that way for at least a little while longer. The cat is actually out of the bag, but most of the people who know don't really discuss it. It's definitely my dream job! I have wanted it since I was 3 years old. I thank God every moment I am awake. Dreams really do come true, however some people will never get the picture until they see the flash!!

Any news 90 C40LF new flyer being delivered as of now. How many month is 2012 C40LF new flyer 90 bus #570 - #643 not being delivered yet. As the drama continuing there should be additional purchase C40LF new flyer CNG . Why if the topic is true. That 2002 Orion7CNG #7560 - #7619 are in worst shape rehabbing is waste of money when #7560 - #7619 wont be in good condition by next year it will be 11 years old by 2013. That #7560 - #7619 running into service since 11 years. This is the oldest series 2002 Orion7CNG #7560 - #7619 at Jackie Gleason depot be replace & retired. Rehabbing the #7560 - #7619 is waste of money & there are falling apart. Like when you enter the bus. You can tell there must be leaking on the roof of water dripping as there in worst shape. Retire 2002 Orion7CNG #7560 - #7619 the oldest series at least. At least stop bothering sending other depot. When MaBSTOA divison need new bus. Not Brooklyn or Queens. Only for Manhattan & Bronx, Other 3 divison Brooklyn , Queens , Staten Island got new buses. Not Bronx & 1 depot in Manhattan that Manhattanville depot.

At least West Farms Depot don't need no junk of Jackie Gleason Depot Orion7CNG #7560 - #7619 the oldest bus that halfway dead. I'm sorry anyway. Stop sending old bus to the Bronx at least they need new bus. Apologize.

I know we all bash on you for these posts, and I know we don't need another on the bandwagon...oh well.

This isn't English. Dead serious here: ¿ Hablas español ? Ou peut-être vous parlez français? Qualcosa...

you know it is comment . Everyone know they get overhaul i know that

I don't understand your language.

No entiendo su idioma.

我不明白你的语言。

אני לא מבין את השפה שלך.

Nescio lacus.

Nechápem váš jazyk.

Nie rozumiem języka.

Jeg forstår ikke dit sprog.

Ég skil ekki þitt tungumál.

Any news 90 C40LF new flyer being delivered as of now. How many month is 2012 C40LF new flyer 90 bus #570 - #643 not being delivered yet. As the drama continuing there should be additional purchase C40LF new flyer CNG . Why if the topic is true. That 2002 Orion7CNG #7560 - #7619 are in worst shape rehabbing is waste of money when #7560 - #7619 wont be in good condition by next year it will be 11 years old by 2013. That #7560 - #7619 running into service since 11 years. This is the oldest series 2002 Orion7CNG #7560 - #7619 at Jackie Gleason depot be replace & retired. Rehabbing the #7560 - #7619 is waste of money & there are falling apart. Like when you enter the bus. You can tell there must be leaking on the roof of water dripping as there in worst shape. Retire 2002 Orion7CNG #7560 - #7619 the oldest series at least. At least stop bothering sending other depot. When MaBSTOA divison need new bus. Not Brooklyn or Queens. Only for Manhattan & Bronx, Other 3 divison Brooklyn , Queens , Staten Island got new buses. Not Bronx & 1 depot in Manhattan that Manhattanville depot.

Everyone please excuse me because this is not professional......

What THE f**k ARE YOU talking about? All the Orion VII OG CNG's are going to be overhauled, and re-powered. This means they will be here until at least 2019. Other than that, you need to start reading. In 2013 the majority of the buses will be 10 years old, so the retirement wouldn't even possibly begin until around 2015/16 if the buses don't get re-powered.

Most of what you are asking repetedly has been mentioned in other threads. Use the search and look up past topics please. You continue to ask questions that someone with as many posts as you have should already know.

And you say no new buses to MaBSTOA? They have NG's, new C40LF's, LFSA's, and Xcelsior artics......

There is also this language barrier, and most of us have no idea what you are talking about at times. Maybe you would be better off using Google Translate.

At least West Farms Depot don't need no junk of Jackie Gleason Depot Orion7CNG #7560 - #7619 the oldest bus that halfway dead. I'm sorry anyway. Stop sending old bus to the Bronx at least they need new bus. Apologize.

Wow......... and I thought The Wacrowskis were horrible writers enough but at this point I'll forgive them. Sorry bro.

Archived