Express lines...

transit bx

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what it's worth, you have no idea how many times the trains f*ck up and vice versa. The trains and the express buses both help each other out and thank God they do because if they didn't there would be plenty of days where it would be a mess for some folks getting in. Most of my co-workers live in New Jersey and one commutes from Montclair via the train or the express bus depending on his mood. NJ Transit is quick to shut down bus service or train service and when one is shut down they can usually send folks over to the other.

I'm not suggesting to eliminate those routes entirely (though I do support a combination of the X63/QM21). What I am suggesting is to have the express bus serve East Midtown while the LIRR serves West Midtown (like I said, this would be after some kind of cross-honoring were worked out with the LIRR passes).

Personally, I feel that, once you're in Manhattan, that's all that matters. I remember you were talking about how you intended to take the X2, but the bus didn't show up, so you took the X15 to the (4)(5). That's the idea: Riders get faster service to their destination, but if the LIRR is messed up, riders can take the express bus and then take a crosstown bus to West Midtown.

Hey, that's exactly what the MTA did with the X90. Now instead of a 1 seat ride downtown we have a 10-15 minute bus ride and then have to walk another 10-15 minutes downtown, in addition to the extremely overcrowded (4)(5)(6) trains. So no it's not the end of the world, and yes I say cut those damn express buses because the exact same logic can be used for that.

1) We're not saying to eliminate those routes.

2) Why does everything always come back to the X90? We get it, you miss the route and the alternatives are no good. When JAzumah starts up his service, use that and get over it.

I hate to bring up the "rail is cheaper than buses" argument, but I feel that it is better to have people use trains where possible, and then have buses travel where the trains can't.

What I am suggesting is to have the express bus serve East Midtown while the LIRR serves West Midtown

You do realize that these 2 statements are implying 2 very different things....

I mean, let's try to be consistent here..... Stop flip-flopping...

Hey, that's exactly what the MTA did with the X90. Now instead of a 1 seat ride downtown we have a 10-15 minute bus ride and then have to walk another 10-15 minutes downtown, in addition to the extremely overcrowded (4)(5)(6) trains. So no it's not the end of the world, and yes I say cut those damn express buses because the exact same logic can be used for that.

So "cut those damn express buses" because the x90 got cut....

This isn't about sticking it to other groups of riders b/c another set of riders got screwed.... that's little kiddy BS...

These 2 statements are implying 2 very different things.... Stop flip-flopping...

I don't get what is flip-flopping about my statements.

The express bus would serve East Midtown because the LIRR doesn't go there. The LIRR would continue to serve West Midtown, and take all of the riders going to that general area.

I don't get what is flip-flopping about my statements.

The express bus would serve East Midtown because the LIRR doesn't go there. The LIRR would continue to serve West Midtown, and take all of the riders going to that general area.

Lol.... That's the current situation now w/ the QM21 !

Anyway, One instance you're tellin us that you think trains should be used where possible, and to have riders use the bus to reach places where trains can't - Implying that current QM21 riders should take the LIRR to penn & catch some local route to get to the east side.... You even went the lengths to sell me the speed argument....

(posts #219 & #221 in this thread)

....and in this latest instance, you make a mention of having people (remaining) taking the express to the east side....

(post #227 in this thread)

That's what's so flip flopping about it....

Lol.... That's the current situation now w/ the QM21 !

Anyway, One instance you're tellin us that you think trains should be used where possible, and to have riders use the bus to reach places where trains can't - Implying that current QM21 riders should take the LIRR to penn & catch some local route to get to the east side.... You even went the lengths to sell me the speed argument....

(posts #219 & #221 in this thread)

....and in this latest instance, you make a mention of having people (remaining) taking the express to the east side....

(post #227 in this thread)

That's what's so flip flopping about it....

I was thinking to have the buses travel down 2nd Avenue to have a more direct route to 23rd Street/1st Avenue (I know that's where the X63 terminates, and I'm pretty sure that's where the QM21 terminates). Unless there are significantly more people along 5th/Madison Avenue than 2nd/3rd Avenue.

So if one doesnt like to take the train then what they suppose to do? For ex. there are a ton of riders between Camden and Lindenwold who take the 403/451 over PATCO just because they'd rather take the bus. Those two routes follow PATCO all the way to Lindenwold. You cant just force people on the train for the hell of it. Yes it may make sense in some cases but in most cases you want a bus to follow a train because in the event of a problem, that bus is there; then you wouldnt have to rush a bunch of buses to provide shuttle service.
NOT really the 451's southern segment DOES NOT completely duplicate the PATCO at all it actually is like a feeder there if the PATCO was an NJT service believe you me those 451 ppl will transfer to patco rather than stay on 451. The 403 runs along rte 30 the PATCO is not near rte 30 at all plus to get to places served by 403 by patco one will have a long walk. The 403 is partially a cross rte as it links with the 400 line in tannersville so It is NOT a duplicate by any means the 403 uses a completely different rting to camden than patco. Those buses serve different purposes than patco. The duplicate segment of 451 ehh blah not the most popular segment I am not a fan of duplicates but the 451/403 are by no means complete duplicates cause if they were then their ridership will be 409 bad and wouldn't be as high as it is. They gain their ridership from connecting services and their unique segments.

For what it's worth, you have no idea how many times the trains f*ck up and vice versa. The trains and the express buses both help each other out and thank God they do because if they didn't there would be plenty of days where it would be a mess for some folks getting in. Most of my co-workers live in New Jersey and one commutes from Montclair via the train or the express bus depending on his mood. NJ Transit is quick to shut down bus service or train service and when one is shut down they can usually send folks over to the other.

There are very few NJT regional bus rtes that completely duplicate the NJT trains where all points served are walking distance from a train very few routes in NJ do that. Some actually indirectly feed the trains. So they help each other out but they DO NOT copy each other.

I'm not suggesting to eliminate those routes entirely (though I do support a combination of the X63/QM21). What I am suggesting is to have the express bus serve East Midtown while the LIRR serves West Midtown (like I said, this would be after some kind of cross-honoring were worked out with the LIRR passes).

Personally, I feel that, once you're in Manhattan, that's all that matters. I remember you were talking about how you intended to take the X2, but the bus didn't show up, so you took the X15 to the (4)(5). That's the idea: Riders get faster service to their destination, but if the LIRR is messed up, riders can take the express bus and then take a crosstown bus to West Midtown.

1) We're not saying to eliminate those routes.

2) Why does everything always come back to the X90? We get it, you miss the route and the alternatives are no good. When JAzumah starts up his service, use that and get over it.

What he is tring to say is let the monthly pass have more flexibility so express buses aren't wasted on duplication of faster services. while keeping the amount of travel options available high rather than force one to choose between express bus or LIRR one can choose the fastest mode. I don't like being on a bus full of lazy fat folk nor too much old ppl hence why I use LIRR instead of express bus (duplicate ones). If the qm21 can serve bedell quickly then so be it. You can't kill what works. But the logical long term solution is to put an elevator on locust manor to shift ppl to LIRR and focus on unique routings. Have HOV/busways to keep express bus fast and eventually fill in the void the subway leaves behind.

There are very few NJT regional bus rtes that completely duplicate the NJT trains where all points served are walking distance from a train very few routes in NJ do that. Some actually indirectly feed the trains. So they help each other out but they DO NOT copy each other.

Really?? Geez, I would've never guessed that... :o

I don't like being on a bus full of lazy fat folk nor too much old ppl hence why I use LIRR instead of express bus (duplicate ones).

Uh, okay... Talking about talking out of your @ss... I think you've been trying to study too many "rtes"...

Really?? Geez, I would've never guessed that... :o

Uh, okay... Talking about talking out of your @ss... I think you've been trying to study too many "rtes"...[/QUOTE]

I was relooking MD and NJ and correcting flaws in my NJ ideas so yeah I was trying to learn too many rtes. The problem with my first idea it created too many insanely long rtes that look like duplicates which have a high failure rate based on history I had to make changes I was scolded for it by a planner. So that had to be dropped. And a better formulation was made.

Plus many NJT rtes that did duplicate the rail completely were eliminated years ago before 2010. The ramaining ones if any have dismal ridership except 554 (due to frequency vs ACRL) and distance between rail stations. The only thing keeping 837 and 830 is their unique segments and connectivity with other lines as wel as infrequent train service. If NJCL were more frequent then 830 would get screwed hard to an extent but not to the point of elimination.

NOT really the 451's southern segment DOES NOT completely duplicate the PATCO at all it actually is like a feeder there if the PATCO was an NJT service believe you me those 451 ppl will transfer to patco rather than stay on 451. The 403 runs along rte 30 the PATCO is not near rte 30 at all plus to get to places served by 403 by patco one will have a long walk. The 403 is partially a cross rte as it links with the 400 line in tannersville so It is NOT a duplicate by any means the 403 uses a completely different rting to camden than patco. Those buses serve different purposes than patco. The duplicate segment of 451 ehh blah not the most popular segment I am not a fan of duplicates but the 451/403 are by no means complete duplicates cause if they were then their ridership will be 409 bad and wouldn't be as high as it is. They gain their ridership from connecting services and their unique segments.

You didnt not listen to a word I said and your a dumbass. I said some people rather take the 403/451 to Lindenwold from Camden and vise versa. I know exactly where the 403/451 runs and your telling me and I did the 403 once. I know PATCO uses a different route obviously you sack of sht. PATCO shuts down then the 403/451 is a option. So before you speak make sure you have all the facts. You know nothing about the 403/451 so just shut the hell up.

And wtf is Tannersville, um you mean Turnersville. If I were you just shut up.

Those people would not xfer to patco. The time I did the 403 I asked some of those people why they didnt take patco instead and they said and I quote "i rather take the bus". When I road the 451 with a driver in training there was 9 people who take the 451 to Lindenwold if the 403 didnt come first. So please for the love of god know your role and shut your mouth.

I was relooking MD and NJ and correcting flaws in my NJ ideas so yeah I was trying to learn too many rtes. The problem with my first idea it created too many insanely long rtes that look like duplicates which have a high failure rate based on history I had to make changes I was scolded for it by a planner. So that had to be dropped. And a better formulation was made.

Plus many NJT rtes that did duplicate the rail completely were eliminated years ago before 2010. The ramaining ones if any have dismal ridership except 554 (due to frequency vs ACRL) and distance between rail stations. The only thing keeping 837 and 830 is their unique segments and connectivity with other lines as wel as infrequent train service. If NJCL were more frequent then 830 would get screwed hard to an extent but not to the point of elimination.

We dont need you!

I was thinking to have the buses travel down 2nd Avenue to have a more direct route to 23rd Street/1st Avenue (I know that's where the X63 terminates, and I'm pretty sure that's where the QM21 terminates). Unless there are significantly more people along 5th/Madison Avenue than 2nd/3rd Avenue.

Well....

+ manhattan bound QM21's end over there on 57th & 3rd, I believe....

+ queens bound QM21's start over there where bxm7's sometimes layover at, over on park/23rd....

+ yes, x63's start & end over there on 23rd/1st

What he is tring to say is let the monthly pass have more flexibility so express buses aren't wasted on duplication of faster services. while keeping the amount of travel options available high rather than force one to choose between express bus or LIRR one can choose the fastest mode. I don't like being on a bus full of lazy fat folk nor too much old ppl hence why I use LIRR instead of express bus (duplicate ones). If the qm21 can serve bedell quickly then so be it. You can't kill what works. But the logical long term solution is to put an elevator on locust manor to shift ppl to LIRR and focus on unique routings. Have HOV/busways to keep express bus fast and eventually fill in the void the subway leaves behind.

1) lmfao @ debating a particular route with a b/o who's actually driven the route.... that's just as stupid as arguing w/ a judge about the law.....

2) putting an elevator @ locust manor will not lure people away from taking the QM21....

the logical long term solution is to find ways to keep the express bus around & to enhance the LIRR for Long Island riders.... not try to force city residents on commuter trains traveling to another part of the city.... if you try to shove the LIRR down those riders' throats, that'll yield one of 2 things:

- a boost in ridership on the Q85 & usage at Jamaica center even more....

- a community outcry to add more service to the QM21 AND the x63

..... and just b/c YOU don't like what certain types/groups of people ride on an express bus isn't a reason why others should follow suit right along with you....

Well....

+ queens bound QM21's start over there where bxm7's sometimes layover at, over on park/23rd....

1) lmfao @ debating a particular route with a b/o who's actually driven the route.... that's just as stupid as arguing w/ a judge about the law.....

2) putting an elevator @ locust manor will not lure people away from taking the QM21....

the logical long term solution is to find ways to keep the express bus around & to enhance the LIRR for Long Island riders.... not try to force city residents on commuter trains traveling to another part of the city.... if you try to shove the LIRR down those riders' throats, that'll yield one of 2 things:

- a boost in ridership on the Q85 & usage at Jamaica center even more....

- a community outcry to add more service to the QM21 AND the x63

..... and just b/c YOU don't like what certain types/groups of people ride on an express bus isn't a reason why others should follow suit right along with you....

true ur right and then as a result the QM21 will get enhanced accordingly That plan I made was to simply expose the true demand for express bus and decrease it's operating cost by increasing QM21's demand by shoving LIRR down their throats to know what the community really wants for X63 and QM21.

I am aware express buses are very important and is based on ridership. I only debate on my strengths.

I don't argue with 553 I know his points are valid I never said that he was incorrect now did I. I said the routes 403/451 have a unique function in addition to getting ppl to camden from lindenwood. I was only stating other ways in which 451/403 can be used!!!!!!!! That's all I am not srupid enough to argue about NJT rte with NJT driver I do know those rtes well. Now try and keep this conversation civilized I don't do flame wars they are for the weak minded!!!!!!

[/size][/size]

You didnt not listen to a word I said and your a dumbass. I said some people rather take the 403/451 to Lindenwold from Camden and vise versa. I know exactly where the 403/451 runs and your telling me and I did the 403 once. I know PATCO uses a different route obviously you sack of sht. PATCO shuts down then the 403/451 is a option. So before you speak make sure you have all the facts. You know nothing about the 403/451 so just shut the hell up.

And wtf is Tannersville, um you mean Turnersville. If I were you just shut up.

Those people would not xfer to patco. The time I did the 403 I asked some of those people why they didnt take patco instead and they said and I quote "i rather take the bus". When I road the 451 with a driver in training there was 9 people who take the 451 to Lindenwold if the 403 didnt come first. So please for the love of god know your role and shut your mouth.

We dont need you!

err CAN YOU PLZ TAKE A CHILL PILL was that rude tone even nessesary??? If you reply to me reply with logic NOT ANGER!!!!! Yes I agree with you about the 451 and 403 to an extent the PATCO currently does NOT take NJT passes as you know and is less flexible for transfers. If ur gonna prove a point THEN DO SO WITHOUT BEING A TOTAL DOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

There are very few NJT regional bus rtes that completely duplicate the NJT trains where all points served are walking distance from a train very few routes in NJ do that. Some actually indirectly feed the trains. So they help each other out but they DO NOT copy each other

[/size][/size]

err CAN YOU PLZ TAKE A CHILL PILL was that rude tone even nessesary??? If you reply to me reply with logic NOT ANGER!!!!! Yes I agree with you about the 451 and 403 to an extent the PATCO currently does NOT take NJT passes as you know and is less flexible for transfers. If ur gonna prove a point THEN DO SO WITHOUT BEING A TOTAL DOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

What the hell does this have to do with ANYTHING IN NEW YORK CITY? AND THEIR EXPRESS LINES FOR THAT MATTER? STOP GOING OFF TOPIC, THIS IS NOT THE NEW JERSEY TRANSIT OR THE MD FORUM, THIS IS THE MTA REGIONAL BUS SECTION OF THE FORUM!

If you got nothing to say that is on-topic with this topic at all, keep your mouth shut / fingers away from the keyboard!

Well....

I would have the combined X63/QM21 travel via the following route:

Inbound:

Queensborough Bridge->2nd Avenue->23rd Street->FDR Drive->Water Street->State Street->Battery Place->West Street and end at the World Financial Center

Outbound:

West Street->Battery Place->State Street->Water Street->FDR Drive->23rd Street->3rd Avenue->57th Street->Queensborough Bridge.

In Queens, it would travel via Mysterious2Train's route.

That way, the LIRR serves West Midtown, while the express bus serves East Midtown (further east than it does now) and Lower Manhattan.

What the hell does this have to do with ANYTHING IN NEW YORK CITY? AND THEIR EXPRESS LINES FOR THAT MATTER? STOP GOING OFF TOPIC, THIS IS NOT THE NEW JERSEY TRANSIT OR THE MD FORUM, THIS IS THE MTA REGIONAL BUS SECTION OF THE FORUM!

If you got nothing to say that is on-topic with this topic at all, keep your mouth shut / fingers away from the keyboard!

NUFF said. :tup::tup:

true ur right and then as a result the QM21 will get enhanced accordingly That plan I made was to simply expose the true demand for express bus and decrease it's operating cost by increasing QM21's demand by shoving LIRR down their throats to know what the community really wants for X63 and QM21.

I am aware express buses are very important and is based on ridership. I only debate on my strengths.

I don't argue with 553 I know his points are valid I never said that he was incorrect now did I. I said the routes 403/451 have a unique function in addition to getting ppl to camden from lindenwood. I was only stating other ways in which 451/403 can be used!!!!!!!! That's all I am not srupid enough to argue about NJT rte with NJT driver I do know those rtes well. Now try and keep this conversation civilized I don't do flame wars they are for the weak minded!!!!!!

1) This wadn't no attempt at a flame war.... For the longest now I've been (easily) shutting down your points & watchin the various different ways you try to CYA after the fact..... At least this time, your commentary reflects that you actually decided to take something in, w/o some ridiculous retort like you normally tend to do....

2) You take things far too literal, and that's what gets you in trouble.... Stop lookin to jump to make red herring arguments where the opportunity sees fit... you do that a LOT.... That comment of 553's wasn't about how far, or how much those 2 routes parallel PATCO....

The GENERAL point 553Bridgeton was making w/ that 403/451 reference, was that, if the option b/w bus or train exists, leave it be.... You have those that want to take the bus, and you have those that want to take the train.... You don't try to force riders onto one mode of transportation where multiple options exist....

That was the point.

I would have the combined X63/QM21 travel via the following route:

Inbound:

Queensborough Bridge->2nd Avenue->23rd Street->FDR Drive->Water Street->State Street->Battery Place->West Street and end at the World Financial Center

Outbound:

West Street->Battery Place->State Street->Water Street->FDR Drive->23rd Street->3rd Avenue->57th Street->Queensborough Bridge.

In Queens, it would travel via Mysterious2Train's route.

That way, the LIRR serves West Midtown, while the express bus serves East Midtown (further east than it does now) and Lower Manhattan.

Not sure if those riders want/need lwr manhattan, that's a separate issue.... But the whole point of Anxious & I bringin up a combined qm21/x63 route (that Mysterious2 decided to illustrate pictorally for us) is to shave off minutes to Rosedale riders' commutes....

x63 on average takes that 1:40 somethin due to it's stint on Merrick blvd, and even though riders use it at times; those 2 stops along QB.... after current x63's pan down hook creek, you still see buses w/ about 20 ppl or more on em.... this tells you where the demand is at....

Bear in mind that folks make their way to merrick blvd when they just miss the qm21 (this is the argument I've seen on SC, and other places, that's made to support gettin rid of the 21 altogether)... The reverse to this scenario, is less likely to happen (missing the x63 & seeking/taking qm21's).....

Anyway, extending buses down to lwr manhattan would nullify w/e time savings that might be had, with the Queens routing of the combined route we're talkin about....

And since where are all express bus riders fat slobs and elderly folks?? LOL I thought that was esp. funny of him to say. I'm an express bus rider UNDER 30 and I am certainly not a fat slob, though I have seen a few fat slobs ride on the express buses I take. LOL Checkmate can confirm since he's seen me before on a few occasions in person. :cool:

I really don't agree with this X63/QM21 merger. Rochdale and Rosedale residents aren't gonna go for it

That's fine...

But I don't see why they wouldn't... Especially the Rosedale folk....

It's not like either group of riders are stuck up snobs that wouldn't mind sharin a bus.... They both live in a far out pocket of Queens... as long as it gets them to manhattan faster than (the bus to Jamaica Center to Manhattan), I think they'll be satisfied w/ it....

And since where are all express bus riders fat slobs and elderly folks?? LOL I thought that was esp. funny of him to say. I'm an express bus rider UNDER 30 and I am certainly not a fat slob, though I have seen a few fat slobs ride on the express buses I take. LOL Checkmate can confirm since he's seen me before on a few occasions in person. :cool:

A Generalization is all it was.... I paid it no mind

I'm still trying to understand how the X64 can eliminated because of the LIRR :o

I really don't agree with this X63/QM21 merger. Rochdale and Rosedale residents aren't gonna go for it

My question is where do the folks on the X63 generally get off at? The X63s going down 5th are always empty when I see them in the mornings as I'm walking to my office. :confused:

My question is where do the folks on the X63 generally get off at? The X63s going down 5th are always empty when I see them in the mornings as I'm walking to my office. :confused:

In the morning, riders mostly disembark on the 3rd av stops (whichever one is closest for them obviously), and they start walking afterwards... same deal w/ the 64 & the 68....

Based on my experience riding the X63, anywhere north of 34 St

Archived