MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Major update along with changes to the XD60 order coming this evening. It it now officially delayed.

I'm not sure. I requested the info last week, so I should know something in the coming days. See the Breaking News thread for new bus orders and details.

Updates in this thread will all be completed this evening.

Ohhh it was too good to be true. New Flyer was on a roll with these deliveries. Several of those D60HF's that JFK has look bad no wonder almost half the Q10 is standards especially on the weekend.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm, tell me this;

In the past few days, there was a few buses from Manhtanville and Mother Clara Hale are operating on the M101. Any reason why?

Shortages, service increases, overhaul loaners, and buses reaching there life limits. Summer is always a tough time on buses both old and new.

Now the main issue we have at this point in time, is with bulk order of 852 buses, they all come to mid-life overhaul periods at the same time. Now the difference with these buses, is the fact that they are hybrids. This means the MTA is going to want to swap these buses out and overhaul them as fast as possible. The reason being, is they have maintenance intensive powertrains, and this was a lesson well learned with the OG's. 

Not only that, but this is the second large hybrid order for the MTA, so they have to play a lot of detective work and be on point when it comes to preventive maintenance practices.

Not catching a potential maintenance issue now, could cost the MTA big bucks down the line like it did with the OG's. The MTA is trying to isolate routes that will use hybrids and others that will use diesels. Our hybrids do not belong on certain routes where portions are at high speed more than a block or two. They are most efficient and have less break-downs when they are in heavy stop-and-go traffic.

Our secondary issue is the fact that the OG's are reaching their service lives now and MTA needs to make a decision on how long they are going to stay around, and what it will cost them.  

Shortages, service increases, overhaul loaners, and buses reaching there life limits. Summer is always a tough time on buses both old and new.

Now the main issue we have at this point in time, is with bulk order of 852 buses, they all come to mid-life overhaul periods at the same time. Now the difference with these buses, is the fact that they are hybrids. This means the MTA is going to want to swap these buses out and overhaul them as fast as possible. The reason being, is they have maintenance intensive powertrains, and this was a lesson well learned with the OG's. 

Not only that, but this is the second large hybrid order for the MTA, so they have to play a lot of detective work and be on point when it comes to preventive maintenance practices.

Not catching a potential maintenance issue now, could cost the MTA big bucks down the line like it did with the OG's. The MTA is trying to isolate routes that will use hybrids and others that will use diesels. Our hybrids do not belong on certain routes where portions are at high speed more than a block or two. They are most efficient and have less break-downs when they are in heavy stop-and-go traffic.

Our secondary issue is the fact that the OG's are reaching their service lives now and MTA needs to make a decision on how long they are going to stay around, and what it will cost them.  

This could be why the TA might order extra option order Buses like the 420 option order 2 and another rumor TA might award New Flyer more options on top of the 420 Buses.

Edited by JayJay85

The maintance of the hybrid buses we currently have is too costly.

True. However they will still outlast the OG CNG's.

This could be why the TA might order extra option order Buses like the 420 option order 2 and another rumor TA might award New Flyer more options on top of the 420 Buses.

I've heard the same.

I honesty think that the OG's are pretty strong buses that can last, but with the issues of hybrids I don't think that they would last too long.

If you are talking about the CNG's then no, they will not last at all... The first OG hybrids, which are actually coming up for retirement will be around longer than the CNG's. The fist of them have already reached their service lives of 12 years.

If you are talking about the CNG's then no, they will not last at all... The first OG hybrids, which are actually coming up for retirement will be around longer than the CNG's. The fist of them have already reached their service lives of 12 years.

From what I see, I wouldn't tell the difference between the very first OG hybrids from the very last OG hybrids if it wasn't for the sign, the different floors in the interior, and the addition of another stop request light. 

• 1 month later...

I could imagine them getting RTS or more Orion VII's.

According to the roster right now

CH has 38 Orion VII's

YU has 58 Orion VII's (not including the 35 they need for SBS+) for S79.

CAS has 90 Orion VII's.

If my math serves me correct out of the 3 depots thats 196 buses that need to be shipped out.

Something tells me that the Staten Island equipment MAY end up in Brooklyn. [Let's see how this plays out].

• 3 weeks later...

does any know whats going on with the remaning options in the 772 buses. I think there 208

not award yet. wen are all the 414 nova lfs going to arrive.

New Nova LFS assignments:

8090-8119, 8399-8480: Jamaica (112)

8120-8184: Charleston (65)

8185-8251: Castleton (66)

8252-8317: Yukon (66)

8318-8358: Gun Hill (41)

8359-8398: Kingsbridge (40)

8481-8503: Queens Village (23)

The main XD40 order is finished, and Stengel's order is about done. At this moment, SI is getting their LFS and JA is getting ready to steal ENY'S LFS. Give it some time as the entire order may not finish until 2016 or 2017.

As for the rest of the option order, me or someone else may post the data later on as I remember some of that data being posted somewhere on the forums.

NYCTF Exclusive

Alright guys it is now Monday, and as I stated over the weekend I would have a full report this afternoon.

Let's begin shall we.... All information effective July 27, 2015

The current New Flyer order was delayed because of wiring issues, that are reported to be fixed at this time. The Nova issues are all behind them, and they are now expected to accelerate delivery of the LFS order.

The Luminator Spectrum retrofit program is almost complete, with signs now installed on 279 buses.

Upcoming confirmations are effective as long as the current orders continue to be delivered on time and no issues arise.

CNG: 138 New Flyer XN40's with options for 125. Pilots expected by years end, with delivery running through 2016

Articulated: Order now expected by years end as a sole award for the base order, with a split on the table. The order will also be changed to 230 buses with options for 301. As of right now it remains competitive between Nova and New Flyer. (Note: This procurement has been delayed or pushed back 5 times now)

Diesel: 420 options to be exercised and split between Nova and New Flyer. As of right now in the meanwhile another immediate option for New Flyer is expected in the coming days, however it has yet to be confirmed.

Lets get into this 420 Split. MTA has pushed the order back just a bit in order to ensure Nova does in fact get a piece of the pie. As I originally noted, unless there is a major change over the next 90 days NF gets the bulk. Some buses in the fleet may have alternative configurations for evaluation, but the bulk are as follows:

252 New Flyer XD40's, with Cummins/Allison, Luminator Spectrum front signs, Titan side and rear.

168 NovaBus LFS', with Cummins/ZF, Axion signs (NOT Spectrums)

Delivery schedule for these options also confirmed.

Pilots/Lead buses Q1 2016

60 buses Q2 2016

120 buses Q3 2016

220 buses Q4 2016

492 of the 700 option order buses (not 772, 72 XD40s were part of the option order and delivered to CS) are already given and the other 420 option buses will be delivered in 2016/17. It is not known when the remaining 208 buses will be delivered at this time.

492 of the 700 option order buses (not 772, 72 XD40s were part of the option order and delivered to CS) are already given and the other 420 option buses will be delivered in 2016/17. It is not known when the remaining 208 buses will be delivered at this time.

Those 72 buses were moved from the option order and added to the main order