MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

I lived on Staten Island for a number of years, and despite what Cait Sith has stated in previous posts about maintenance being better there, I don't buy it.  Management at the depots in question has a history of doing the bare minimum in all areas, and I don't think very much has changed.  The buses look a little better (they should considering how many new buses they're getting) and service is a little better, but overall I don't think management is that much better.  I look at the buses from 2013 that Charleston has and they look in worse shape than some of the buses from  (MTA) Bus which are MUCH older.  There's something very wrong with that picture, and I certainly don't understand why maintenance isn't uniform across the board.  I wish someone could give more insight into this (and I say this seriously).

Is the signature a joke?

Edited by MHV9218

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see... I just hope Staten Island keeps these new buses up. If they don't, the blame rests squarely on the depots. I was on the island Tuesday night and rode a new Prevost in (2639 IIRC) and new Prevost out (25XX IIRC) and some of those new Prevosts are already taking a beating. Gashes on the side of the bus... We're talking some of the 25XXs and 26XXs too. Unbelievable... As a taxpayer, I have a serious issue with the way Staten Island depots maintain their buses, and apparently others do too. All depots should have the same maintenance standards. Either there are some seriously careless drivers or these buses are just being destroyed by someone within the depot. I can't understand how those buses take such a beating when they've barely been on the road.

Sorry for the necroposting but I totally agree with him Staten Island should take better care of their New Prevosts I rode one just yesterday and they are totally looking beat up and worned out lots of people from SI are going to be pissed about how their buses are being maintained.

You conveniently forget you got new artics not that long ago.

Even those LFSAs were a little while ago now--the 5800s first started coming in winter of 2011-2012, and the 52-53xx buses came starting in the summer of 2012. It'll be 2016 in a few months, and the next order likely won't bring anything at least until 2017 given how slowly the XD60s have been faring their acceptance. 

Damn, I was thinking about picking back into Manhattan, but it seems as they are getting no love when it comes to the newer buses...

Well I would like Manhattan to get some more buses but boy it seems like none of the depots keep their buses up, especially Tuskegee.  It's  a disgrace how they've run those newer artics into the ground.  I mean they just run them.  Nothing more...

In order for Grand Avenue to get artics full time for the B38. It has to get the other branch from Fresh Pond.

Honestly, I don't think any of the Downtown-Ridgewood branches need artics.

East New York definitely needs artics.

I agree the 38 gets full but there head ways are crazy like every 5m in rush hours thou but don't see the need for Artics . ENY yes for the 15 & 82 but I'll doubt the 15 would get them just only because of the street the routes run on

I agree the 38 gets full but there head ways are crazy like every 5m in rush hours thou but don't see the need for Artics . ENY yes for the 15 & 82 but I'll doubt the 15 would get them just only because of the street the routes run on

They'll fit along the B15, just gotta extend the bus stops. Artics already run on lines with some narrow streets and tight turns (M14A/C in Alphabet City, M34A through Waterside, Q10 along Lefferts, etc) so the B15 wont be any different.

As it currently stands, both the 40'/60' Xcelsiors & the 40'/60' Novas all have the exact same 44' turning radius. Anywhere the shorties can go, their artic counterparts can go.

I could easily see the Q58 moved to Grand and converted. (Of course, that would mean moving other routes around and rerouting the Q58 away from those narrow streets in Ridgewood.)

Rumor has it that the Q58 will go to Stengal once they recieve more artics

I assume that most of you discussing this have never been inside grand ave depot. The way that the lifts are set up, artics would not be able to be repaired in that depot. I don't even think that they would be able to make it into the fuel station.

I assume that most of you discussing this have never been inside grand ave depot. The way that the lifts are set up, artics would not be able to be repaired in that depot. I don't even think that they would be able to make it into the fuel station.

You would think while they were building it, they would put into consideration of making it artic qualified...seems kinda short-sighted lol

Edited by Fresh Pond