MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

1266 at Kingsbridge has the 126th Street depot sticker on it.

IMG_0939.jpg?ex=65de6271&is=65cbed71&hm=

I wonder when are they going to actually do something with that old depot? I was around that area back in august and that depot is still there like its still there. I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA is on the premise in some way. 

2 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I wonder when are they going to actually do something with that old depot? I was around that area back in august and that depot is still there like its still there. I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA is on the premise in some way. 

Over nine years later, and the depot is still there. They were suppose to demolish it, but nothing came to fruition.

Edited by RSMG106

13 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

They are using it for relief points for the M15 and M15 SBS and temporary storage.

So my suspicions were right, its still being used. I don't know why they needed to give that depot back to the city it there were never any plans to even tear it down. I understand it was on a burial ground but it could have, in my opinion been converted into an engineering school and or trade school of some sort of the unvalued youth to work for the MTA or something.  

For the upcoming XD-40 order out of MTA Bus, for JFK, it's said that they'll receive 40 units. However, they'll be split in 1/2: 20 of them will be at JFK while the other 1/2 will be at Far Rockaway for their local routes (example: Q22 and Q35). The numbers can be rotated so they still have the same 40 unit total. 

Edited by Calvin

13 minutes ago, Calvin said:

For the upcoming XD-40 order out of MTA Bus, for JFK, they'll receive 40 units. However, they'll be split in 1/2: 20 of them will be at JFK while the other 1/2 will be at Far Rockaway for their local routes (example: Q22 and Q35). 

Far rock will have their own local fleet now?

24 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

Far rock will have their own local fleet now?

Rotation, it's like the Next and Old Generation Hybrids that are at that depot by the (A) train close to Beach 44 St. A unit like 3698 or 9043 will be on the Q22 for today but next week, it'll be on the Q6. All the standard local buses are out of JFK but selected 50-60 units out of there go down to Far Rockaway and switch from time. The Express MCIs and Prevosts are their own (Far Rockaway decals are placed). 

Far Rockaway Local Routes: Q11, Q21, Q22, Q35 and Q41

Edited by Calvin
Fixed (A) train stop

5 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Rotation, it's like the Next and Old Generation Hybrids that are at that depot by the (A) train close to Beach 67 St. A unit like 3698 or 9043 will be on the Q22 for today but next week, it'll be on the Q6. All the standard local buses are out of JFK but selected 50-60 units out of there go down to Far Rockaway and switch from time. The Express MCIs and Prevosts are their own (Far Rockaway decals are placed). 

Far Rockaway Local Routes: Q11, Q21, Q22, Q35 and Q41

So the XD40s allocated for FR will still be rotated to JFK?

6 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

So the XD40s allocated for FR will still be rotated to JFK?

Yes. It's the same with the Nova LFS. One LFS did see service on the Q35, last month. 

Edited by Calvin

6 minutes ago, Calvin said:

With ECH missing just one XD-40 for delivery, the question is, are the older XD-40s able to go back to LGA for service or that they are still needed for training purposes?

Since the XD40s are also coming to JFK, it'd be a good idea to send them over there for training.

1 hour ago, TheNextGen2009 said:

Since the XD40s are also coming to JFK, it'd be a good idea to send them over there for training.

Unlike Eastchester, JFK has Xcelsior artics on their fleet so they wouldn't need extensive training for the 40-footers like Eastchester needed. They can do with borrowing a unit or using the first delivered unit for training like they did with 9029. Baisley borrwed 8960 when they were prepping for the arrival of the Novas.

On 2/14/2024 at 4:37 PM, Calvin said:

Yes. It's the same with the Nova LFS. One LFS did see service on the Q35, last month. 

The myth is they rotate buses JFK is the main Maintenance for the Local fleet. FR has a Shop it’s just small and used for mostly the Express Fleet. I expect a few LFS to be assigned to FR as #9025 has FR decals.

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

With ECH missing just one XD-40 for delivery, the question is, are the older XD-40s able to go back to LGA for service or that they are still needed for training purposes?

Personally, I believe that the 2015s XD40s aren't needed their unless GH sends their XD40s out. I'm not too sure if Gun Hill is a training base though.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could provide a full list of training bases.

1 hour ago, xD4nn said:

Personally, I believe that the 2015s XD40s aren't needed their unless GH sends their XD40s out. I'm not too sure if Gun Hill is a training base though.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could provide a full list of training bases.

Now that we are on the topic of training buses, I was wondering if all XD40s are used for training or if it's typically just the 2017-19 units. I'm aware that the 2016-17 XN40s are also used for training.

Just now, Iron Valiant said:

Now that we are on the topic of training buses, I was wondering if all XD40s are used for training or if it's typically just the 2017-19 units. I'm aware that the 2016-17 XN40s are also used for training.

Ahh I seen an XN40 on the Van Wyck and Atlantic not too long ago used for training 

On 2/14/2024 at 4:12 PM, Calvin said:

For the upcoming XD-40 order out of MTA Bus, for JFK, it's said that they'll receive 40 units. However, they'll be split in 1/2: 20 of them will be at JFK while the other 1/2 will be at Far Rockaway for their local routes (example: Q22 and Q35). The numbers can be rotated so they still have the same 40 unit total. 

Do you have proof of this information? Or is this speculation? FR and JFK share a pool of buses, and I can't imagine they will specifically maintain a requirement of 20 buses per depot. 

19 hours ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

The myth is they rotate buses JFK is the main Maintenance for the Local fleet. FR has a Shop it’s just small and used for mostly the Express Fleet. I expect a few LFS to be assigned to FR as #9025 has FR decals.

In this case, the decals don't mean s***. Some buses get them randomly and its been happening for over a decade. Also, only 3-4 Novas have Far Rock decals so I wouldn't use that as an indicator that Far Rock is getting a dedicated fleet.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:11 PM, Novabus 5000 said:

Do you have proof of this information? Or is this speculation? FR and JFK share a pool of buses, and I can't imagine they will specifically maintain a requirement of 20 buses per depot. 

There is a quote from a person on the comment out of the new XD-40 that was at LGA. Also, present at a NYC Bus & Motor Coach group that featured a photo of 9029 that was first at JFK Depot. He actually is out of JFK Depot and was said that 40 units are expected for the said depot. I know I mentioned 20 per depot but it's only out of the math that 1/2 of 40 is 20 but the numbers are not straight assigned between JFK and FR. 

Although, it's understandable to wait until they get a standard XD-40 there so, there won't be any predications that'll be wrong.

Edited by Calvin

On 2/16/2024 at 3:32 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

In this case, the decals don't mean s***. Some buses get them randomly and its been happening for over a decade. Also, only 3-4 Novas have Far Rock decals so I wouldn't use that as an indicator that Far Rock is getting a dedicated fleet.

Not going back and forth bro my intel is always internal , I mixed it with simple logic and some how it seem to happen most times 🤷🏾..

SB off topic I told a member on here about 179 coming to the (H) and now it’s a full time thing..