What do you guys think about this incident?

R68 Subway Car

Not a shock.. in the world we live in now, no one will help someone in danger

I'm 50/50 agreeing with you. I don't know about the subway rates but on the highways, usually 40% of the people that just witnessed an accident occur, they would pull over and help out.

Can I shove the laughing douche down the tracks? Puh-wease?

Ok, time to be serious. The laughing fool didn't do what he needed to do. At least get help or something, but laughing, is inexcusable, despicable and completely careless. I feel bad for the laughing ****'s mother.

I could only see the last video when I went to the article, but it seemed like the people on the platform were really upset, and any "laughter" was really just nervous/anxious laughter.

While they might not be the most effective at helping, they do yell out what they think is useful advice (and frankly is not bad advice for the situation). Luckily this was an off-hour and, being the (L), they knew when the next train was coming.

I don't agree with recording this incident, but what can you do.

I have seen this affect before. It's called the Bystander Effect, or the Kitty Genovese Syndrome.

Here is an image to teach you people the basics.

19042518.jpg

Wrong. The Bystander effect leads people to take no responsibility at all in a situation and let someone else be responsible for determining what to do.

These people were aware of a situation (step one), determined it was an emergency (step 2), but decided (correctly) that they do not have the proper training and ability to help out (step 3). However, they did try to shout advice, which they believed was helpful, and the MTA officials were already on their way. The fact that they were laughing or recording the situation has nothing to do with the Bystander effect.

Archived