Automated Passenger Information System for R-68 Subway Car

The Real

While at the APTA EXPO, I spoke with a FOCON salesman at the Luminator Booth who showed me the proposed Automated Passenger Information System to be retrofitted to the R-68 Subway Cars. He only said R-68, he didn't say R-68A or anything about the R-62s.

See Video...

Rail photos from the EXPO will be shown tomorrow!

No.

Catherine, Jessica, or Dianne, please.

I could also not see these on an R68 anytime soon, a bit too high tech if you ask me. (anyone else spot the irony that it made Flushing Line announcements, but it's propsed for the R68s?)

Guest lance25
No.

Catherine, Jessica, or Dianne, please.

I could also not see these on an R68 anytime soon, a bit too high tech if you ask me. (anyone else spot the irony that it made Flushing Line announcements, but it's propsed for the R68s?)

The presentation was probably just to show the audio/visual components that may be installed onto the R62s and R68s. If and when they get onto NYCT property, the "correct" voices would be uploaded into the trains' computers and not the computerized voices heard in this video.

who knows if its even worth it to add that stuff, they would need to add in a car computer to make it work, and run more wires down the pin connectors to make sure it displays the right thing. The R44 and R46 have those things (one of the many things that went wrong on them when they first came out) that's why back in the day they got the LCD signs. Is it worth the cost of putting all that stuff in 20-30 year old subway cars.

• 6 months later...

If these are meant for an R68 why are the demo announcements for a line that the R68's can't physically run on?

Exactly that... they are DEMO announcements... doesn't really matter which stations or lines they're for. It's for demonstration purposes only.

Archived