Mayor aboard subway to NJ: Supports No. 7 extension to Secaucus

Shortline Bus

Keep the (7) at the Javitz Center since its being extended there. Sending it to N.J is rather unnecessary. It's called the New York City Subway for a reason....

Then that same reason for not extending the (7) to NJ must also apply to any proposals to extend Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Staten Island. It currently doesn't serve the "B" in its name - Bergen County. NJ transit must focus on getting HBLR into Bergen County before we can even think of having it cross the Bayonne Bridge. Meanwhile, our esteemed mayor should be putting his constituents' money towards bringing subway service to Staten Island. Given that the majority of the borough voted to reelect him for a third term, it's the least he can do. That would be a real legacy to be proud of.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/10/staten_island_electeds_oppose.html

We don't even have a subway connecting us to Manhattan here on Staten Island and yet the mayor can look to find almost 6 billion dollars to extend the NEW YORK CITY SUBWAY to another state but not to another borough within NYC??? This is insane. :tdown: I plan to write his office tonight to express my outrage. :mad:

That's where the funding SHOULD go, but if this is money that can't be used for anything else, then I understand why they want to build the NJ extension for the (7), though I would also look at doing this for the (L), which is already a crosstown and has connections to almost every other subway line in Manhattan, which is what most NJ riders would be looking for (and with the provision of lengthening all stations along the line to handle 10-car trains, along with the Broadway Junction (J)/(Z) station for the times the (L) would need to terminate there).

Used for something else? We're supposed to be in a fiscal crisis, but yet we can look for money to extend a subway into another state. :P

More anti-(MTA) garbage because you still miss the X90?

Oh please. I don't see what the X90 has to do with this conversation at all. To use your phrase "For the love of God," give it a rest already. :P Folks complain about posts on the express bus and yet they keep bringing up the X90...

Then I guess its a good thing the (7) isn't being extended to Staten Island, isn't it?

I take offense to that comment... :tdown:

To the three of you:

This is supposed to use the funds that were dedicated to the ARC project. If we don't use them, they go back to the federal government and we don't get any transit improvements.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... Federal funds!!! Let's just build any old thing because we can get federal funds for it. And if the project is over budget and other expenses come up, who pays for it then? :mad:

You should ask Chris Christie that since those were his words....

What the deuce?? Somehow my words have been stolen by Nexis??????? :eek:

I thought you didn't want a subway connection for Staten Island?

I don't but that's besides the point. That money could be used to give us more express bus service and another depot that we need.

That's where the funding SHOULD go, but if this is money that can't be used for anything else, then I understand why they want to build the NJ extension for the (7), though I would also look at doing this for the (L), which is already a crosstown and has connections to almost every other subway line in Manhattan, which is what most NJ riders would be looking for (and with the provision of lengthening all stations along the line to handle 10-car trains, along with the Broadway Junction (J)/(Z) station for the times the (L) would need to terminate there).

No no no no NO!!!!!

Ok first off, if having the (7) extended is a useless idea, what makes you think extending the (L) is any better? The (MTA) already has a sh*tload of other things of more importance that has to be done, including train stations that are falling apart, an ever-aging bus fleet that needs to be replaced, half-finished construction projects that are ridiculously over-budget, and that damn SAS which at this pace, won't make it down to Lower Manhattan until I'm a senile old man in a wheelchair.

As for the 2nd bolded part, some stations just can't be extended, like Bway Junction. I pretty sure they thought about doing that already but couldn't do it.

Where's the love for the Flushing end of the (7) line? There are throngs of people waiting at the bus stops to go to Bayside and College Point. I don't see throngs of people flocking to Secaucus from the (7).

Exactly! Give us a friggin' (7) extension! Right now, we don't even have articulated buses! Main Street-Flushing is the busiest subway-to-bus transfer point and has been for decades. Bloomberg's been crying that the city has no money for years, yet there was money to extend the (7) to the Javits Center and apparently, there's money to extend the (7) even further to Jersey. But money to extend subway service into eastern Queens and other parts of the city where it's actually needed? Sorry, red-headed stepchildren in the 718 area code, no subway extensions for you, says step-daddy Bloomberg.

If this project doesn't morph into a new PATH train line or another commuter rail line and fast, Bloomberg's getting an angry letter to his office.

With all these extensions im hearing, I'm wondering if part of the NYC Subway system would become a SUBURBAN Subway system lol. Competing with MNR/LIRR/NJT/Amtrak RR.

I guess it would be weird to send the (1) train to Peekskill, (2) to White Plains and maybe the (6) to Stamford. :( Im sure you would be taking a cheap ride to the city mr. New Haven line ? :) LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG But wild!

Actually, you can get up to White Plains on a single fare already (the (4) train to the 20/21 buses). With an Unlimited MetroCard, you can get up to Peekskill (transfer to the 14 at White Plains).

Of course, nobody but a cheapskate would use the subway and local buses to go all the way up to Peekskill.

So the answer is to build something for the sake of building it and not trying to direct that money to more needed projects?

It's not like it isn't needed at all. If they can direct it towards the ESA or SAS then great.

What ever happened to the idea of some Hudson Line MNR trains going into Penn? The infrastructure is already there, in use by Amtrak not very frequently. Pop some of the locos down behind Spuyten Duyvil (since it's not electrified) during the rush and maybe once an hour midday. Some of those commuters would eat that up since it puts them farther west in manhattan than GCT does. Plus its connects one line of MNR to Amtrak, NJT and LIRR.

The LIRR uses up a lot of capacity in NY Penn Station. When some trains are shifted to Grand Central after ESA opens, it should free up some capacity for Hudson and/or New Haven Line trains to come into Penn Station.

The idea is good for LONG TERM but not as a simple extension like the (7) to 34th street. then the destination is Secaucus Junction with only a couple stops in between, there's no point in that route as no commuter on the NEC will want to get off a high speed express at that station and take a much slower train that will take like an our making stops to manhattan. it would be better to send the (7) to Jersey City or Hoboken but Secaucus is out in the middle of nowhere, seriously after Tonnelle Avenue the trains going to be deserted. its better to stick with the current plans then after all is finished and if there's enough public demand for it see if its possible to go to NJ. but right now the money, resources, manpower to should be used on the SAS, East Side Access and the (7)<7> to Jacob Javit's Center. But overall a subway is for a city not for interstate travel. want to cross the state line or leave the city limits take a bus or a regional train why should people's tax money go to something that will benefit another state or maybe not benefit anyone for such a crazy idea. The second system which talked about lines probably extending to NJ should have been committed to in that time, now in the present its not possible, its time to focus on whats important and not some crazy idea about the subway going to NJ thats what the path is for, want subway's in NJ extend the path, and if path is not good enough more bus lines or commuter lines.

Secaucus can get some TOD to increase ridership.

Also, somebody going to Grand Central might be willing to transfer at Secaucus. Instead of taking the NJT train and then two subway lines (the (1)(2)(3) to the (S)), they would just take the NJT train to the (7).

And this was proposed as an alternative to the ARC, which was a commuter rail proposal.

Yeah right, there is no way that New Jersey is going to fix/clean up Newark & Camden, Camden especially....And comparing a big state to a small city is not really the smartest thing in the world....as something small accomplishes more than something on a much larger scale....

Keep the (7) at the Javitz Center since its being extended there. Sending it to N.J is rather unnecessary. It's called the New York City Subway for a reason....

He's talking about physically cleaning the toxic sites, not cleaning up the cities themselves (though some areas of Camden and Newark have improved)

As far as the NYC Subway argument goes, St. Louis has MetroLink and it goes between St. Louis (Missouri) and East St. Louis (and some other suburbs) in Illinois.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... Federal funds!!! Let's just build any old thing because we can get federal funds for it. And if the project is over budget and other expenses come up, who pays for it then? :mad:

It's not "any old thing". You're acting like those trains would be totally empty: There is a need for more capacity under the Hudson.

As far as going over budget, let's say I offered to buy you dinner, and I thought it would be $80, but it came out to $100. If all you have to do is pay the overrun of $20, you didn't come out too badly.

Actually, you can get up to White Plains on a single fare already.

Yep, I know. Its called Bee-Line. Ether the 40 (During peak) out of 241st or Route 60 out of US 1 & White Plains Road. Of course this is one of the options.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Actually on NJ.com this project is being funded by the states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, the city of New York, and by the Federal Government. So basically the entire $10 billion has already been paid for. Also with it being fully funded Bloomberg's team estimate that it would take ten years to extend the (7) from 34th Street to Secaucus with stations in the city of Hoboken which is shown on the maps I posted on page 1.

It's not "any old thing". You're acting like those trains would be totally empty: There is a need for more capacity under the Hudson.

As far as going over budget, let's say I offered to buy you dinner, and I thought it would be $80, but it came out to $100. If all you have to do is pay the overrun of $20, you didn't come out too badly.

That maybe true, but there's a need for a lot of things and we're BROKE remember?? We need to worry about transportation here in NYC, not in another state. If the money were to be used over there fine, but NOT in NJ. Quite frankly I don't know how we're supposed to be able to find funding for this when we're broke and laying off teachers, closing firehouses and cutting back on police. There's a serious disconnect with the mayor here that is unacceptable. :mad:

We're packing students into classrooms because teachers are being let go, jeopardizing the future of thousands of kids, crime is up and women are being assaulted all over the city, but we've got millions or even billions for yet another subway extension???

If the (7) goes to NJ, its no longer called a subway, It would Be Called a Railroad similar to PATH, That alone would cost a lot of money, The R188's would have to be retrofitted with FRA Equipment and Etc, to me its a Big F&*king Waste and the Mayor needs to get his head checked.

The (L) should more likely be rerouted uptown to 34th Street to create a connection between the (7) and the (L) serving West Chelsea.

I've liked that idea myself, with perhaps after 34th the (L) continuing uptown and then up 10th/Amsterdam Avenue to a terminal under the (1)/(2)/(3) at 72nd/Broadway, with the other stops being 42nd/10th (with a provision should a (7) station be built at 41st/10th there be a transfer there), 54th-57th Street and 66th Street.

Of course, nobody but a cheapskate would use the subway and local buses to go all the way up to Peekskill.

...or a busfanner.

b/c I've actually done it once; got family up there....

[b41, (walk over the manhattan bridge; B51 aint run on saturday), M103, Bx15, BL-60, BL-15]

And if the project is over budget and other expenses come up, who pays for it then?

**looks @ self... then scoffs**

That maybe true, but there's a need for a lot of things and we're BROKE remember??

The MTA is selectively broke.... Emphasis on the adverb.

Is NY going to pay for all the Eco - Damage they cause will this extension?

Stop it, 5....

This aint fin to do much for the daily commutes of New Yorkers... We aint tryna get to no secaucus (or the rest of NJ) via the subway.... this is all about your home state... only reason this is even being entertained is b/c the pol's see dollar signs out of this - at your fellow patrons expense.

Feel free to convince yourself otherwise if you want.... You'd be lying to yourself in the process....

Keep the at the Javitz Center since its being extended there.
It's not like it isn't needed at all. If they can direct it towards the ESA or SAS then great.

@ Cait: Y'know, as much as I despise THAT extension... As a New Yorker, I'd rather have that happen than this (7) to Secaucus....

@ both of you: lol.... It aint NYC's problem that Secaucus Junction was built in the middle of nowhere....

(yeah Nexis, get mad)

Where's the love for the Flushing end of the line? There are throngs of people waiting at the bus stops to go to Bayside and College Point.

During the first apprisal of this garbage, that's one of the things I thought about.... and that's what I think many might be overlooking, how this would impact (7) riders in NE Queens......

Actually on NJ.com this project is being funded by the states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, the city of New York, and by the Federal Government. So basically the entire $10 billion has already been paid for. Also with it being fully funded Bloomberg's team estimate that it would take ten years to extend the (7) from 34th Street to Secaucus with stations in the city of Hoboken which is shown on the maps I posted on page 1.

Pennsylvania? What, do they want to extend the (7) to Philadelphia now? Perhaps you meant "the other PA," the Port Authority? Not saying that Philly doesn't need more subways (their subway system is way too small for a city its size) but they need one to New York about as much as a fish needs a bicycle.

If the Port Authority and NJ are willing to committ money to this project, then it's in their best interest (and ours) to transform this proposal into a new PATH or NJT line. And fast.

I'm one of those who doesn't care that much if the (7) goes to Jersey or not. If so, wonderful more places to take the (7) to, if not, no sweat off my back at all but I do wonder why the city isn't making use of that money for the 41st and 10th Ave station. That's more important than taking the (7) under the Hudson IMO.

That maybe true, but there's a need for a lot of things and we're BROKE remember?? We need to worry about transportation here in NYC, not in another state. If the money were to be used over there fine, but NOT in NJ. Quite frankly I don't know how we're supposed to be able to find funding for this when we're broke and laying off teachers, closing firehouses and cutting back on police. There's a serious disconnect with the mayor here that is unacceptable. :mad:

We're packing students into classrooms because teachers are being let go, jeopardizing the future of thousands of kids, crime is up and women are being assaulted all over the city, but we've got millions or even billions for yet another subway extension???

But the primary funding is coming from the federal government. That's the point.

Plus, it's not like the only people who would benefit would be NJ riders: I'm sure there are reverse-commuters who could use it to get out to Secaucus, North Bergen, or Union City.

And I wish the classes in my school were overcrowded, but no, they're spending a ton of extra money so that classes don't have any more than 34 students. Heaven forbid the class has 35 or 36 students! You're not going to move me with the overcrowded classes argument, especially as somebody who doesn't want Student MetroCards to exist.

Pack 'em in is what I say! The more the merrier.

Now the police and firefighters on the other hand, those shouldn't be cut.

1) ...or a busfanner.

b/c I've actually done it once; got family up there....

[b41, (walk over the manhattan bridge; B51 aint run on saturday), M103, Bx15, BL-60, BL-15]

2) @ Cait: Y'know, as much as I despise THAT extension... As a New Yorker, I'd rather have that happen than this (7) to Secaucus....

@ both of you: lol.... It aint NYC's problem that Secaucus Junction was built in the middle of nowhere....

(yeah Nexis, get mad)

1) True. I actually forgot about the 15, probably because it takes a more indirect route to reach Peekskill.

2) But the issue isn't people living in Secaucus: It's people getting off the NJT trains and going to the East Side of Manhattan. It doesn't matter that Secaucus Junction was built in the middle of nowhere.

But the primary funding is coming from the federal government. That's the point.

Plus, it's not like the only people who would benefit would be NJ riders: I'm sure there are reverse-commuters who could use it to get out to Secaucus, North Bergen, or Union City.

And I wish the classes in my school were overcrowded, but no, they're spending a ton of extra money so that classes don't have any more than 34 students. Heaven forbid the class has 35 or 36 students!

Who cares about that. The additional funds would still have to come from taxpayers and the city is supposed to broke. This is absolutely ridiculous. You don't spend money on projects like this that could escalate into the millions or billions in overrun costs if you're broke. :mad:

You're not going to move me with the overcrowded classes argument, especially as somebody who doesn't want Student MetroCards to exist.

Oh don't even try it. Overcrowded classrooms and Student MetroCards are two totally different topics and I'm standing my ground. NO StudentMetroCards. :mad: :(

Pack 'em in is what I say! The more the merrier.

That's a ridiculous statement to make. You've got kids doing terribly in school and one of the main reasons is that kids are being given enough attention in the school from the teachers because classes are too big. Consider yourself lucky that your class isn't over capacity because some schools are so overfilled to the point that they are having classes in the gym or kids are overflowing into the hallways. There is no way that a kid can learn like that and your inconsideration of their situation is quite disturbing. :tdown: We're talking about little kids here who are at their most vulnerable states in terms of learning.

Now the police and firefighters on the other hand, those shouldn't be cut.

Well now that's a relief. :)

We don't know that the majority of the money required for this project is going to come from Washington. They could tell City Hall and NJ to get lost after the whole ARC tunnel fiasco for all we know.

Yes, this project might benefit NYC residents who work in Secaucus (not so much the other two places which are predominantly residential). But I really doubt that amount is anywhere near the throngs of people who pour onto and off of the (7)<7> trains at Main Street every day. Bloomberg is the Mayor of New York City. That includes Flushing, Queens. He's not the Mayor of Union City, Weehawken, North Bergen or Secaucus. Transportation and commuter needs and wants in those communities don't belong in his purview. Those of central and eastern Queens do.

1) True. I actually forgot about the 15, probably because it takes a more indirect route to reach Peekskill.

I favor the 15 b/c an average trip makes less stops, compared to the 14... that, and I don't care much for the stupid loop w/i Ossining the 14 makes....

2) But the issue isn't people living in Secaucus: It's people getting off the NJT trains and going to the East Side of Manhattan. It doesn't matter that Secaucus Junction was built in the middle of nowhere.

Where in all the free world did you get that I was referencing, or making the issue about the residents of Secaucus?

....and the locale of secaucus junction matters just as much as the 7 being sent all the way out there in the first place.... the ppl. that currently DRIVE to get out there will either continue takin NJT trains into NYP, or take the (7) to get to (east or west) midtown accordingly....

I think this has more to do w/ (being a band-aid remedy to) the delays of NJT trains entering/leaving NYP, moreso than access to the east side.... As was said, this thing is nothin more than an alternate to that ARC project b/c it was cheaper....

Archived