Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Well I got my letter yesterday report 5/10.  List 71X.  I have a question. 

I know everyone says the first visit is drug test only.  Then 2nd time is medical/hearing/ekg.  However:

My letter states :  "Pre interview and medical examination, which will include baseline audiometric (hearing) testing.  Photographic Identification and social security card are required for pre-employment medical examination."

So, my question is, do they just say that and you get just the drug test, or did something change?  Just curious.  I also just realized that although I never needed glasses to drive, (20/30 vision), I'm guessing this eye exam is deeper than DMV and should probably get glasses just in case, am I correct on that hunch?

The first visit is just the drug test and some paper work. You will do the medical on your next visit when they call you. All the first notices say pre-interview, medical.

My advise to you is to go to your eye dr for an exam and get whatever corrective lenses you need. When I took the eye test i did it with my glasses and without. Best case is you pass without your glasses and don't have to operate with them. Worst case is you get put on medical hold until you get your glasses and pass the eye exam. In my opinion it is an unnecessary risk that could delay your hiring.

By the way I passed the DMV eye test without my glasses easy but I needed my glasses for the TA test.

Good Luck

Thanks and good luck to all who have to report.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got my letter yesterday report 5/10. List 71X. I have a question.

I know everyone says the first visit is drug test only. Then 2nd time is medical/hearing/ekg. However:

My letter states : "Pre interview and medical examination, which will include baseline audiometric (hearing) testing. Photographic Identification and social security card are required for pre-employment medical examination."

So, my question is, do they just say that and you get just the drug test, or did something change? Just curious. I also just realized that although I never needed glasses to drive, (20/30 vision), I'm guessing this eye exam is deeper than DMV and should probably get glasses just in case, am I correct on that hunch?

The first visit is just the drug test and some paper work. You will do the medical on your next visit when they call you. All the first notices say pre-interview, medical.

My advise to you is to go to your eye dr for an exam and get whatever corrective lenses you need. When I took the eye test i did it with my glasses and without. Best case is you pass without your glasses and don't have to operate with them. Worst case is you get put on medical hold until you get your glasses and pass the eye exam. In my opinion it is an unnecessary risk that could delay your hiring.

By the way I passed the DMV eye test without my glasses easy but I needed my glasses for the TA test.

Good Luck

Thanks and good luck to all who have to report.

Definitely agree with 25andout...get your eyes checked before they call you for medical and final processing. There will not be an vision/hearing test on the first visit for the dt. When they call back, which could be anywhere between a week and 3 months, then you'll need to have everything ready

Please elaborate as to what "a little bit extra stuff" includes

If i remember correctly there is a regular eye chart, then you'll have to sit at a computer type machine and identify different things. The doc will give you instructions on what they are looking for

I don't remember any eye chart. Just a machine.Although January was 4 months ago.

there wasn't an eye chart. You just look into a machine and they test everything from vision to depth perception to color blindness. If you wear glasses they do the test with and without your glasses. If you know you need glasses your best bet is to get them before your medical. If you fail the vision and they say you need glasses, they will put you on medical hold until you get them. By the time you get them and go back to be retested that may put you into a later class. That means you'll lose seniority that you would have had. And let me tell you seniority is everything down here. It determines when you can pick a job, your days off, your vacation and more. If you want to take that chance and possibility lose some seniority then don't bother with getting those glasses.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

BTW Any of you new T/O's(Out of Schoolcar) are members of the Crew Room?

If not you should talk to Harry so your Avatar could get updated..

There are somethings in there that you really should be looking at.

Edited by RTOMan

BTW Any of you new T/O's(Out of Schoolcar) are members of the Crew Room?

If not you should talk to Harry so your Avatar could get updated..

There are somethings in there that you really should be looking at.

This is my 5th week out of schoolcar. How do I go about doing that?

I’m in the 690’s and I just got called to report to 180 Livingston on 4/9/13 (not too much time to decide). I see that I can decline, and then, at a later time, request to have my name put back on the list.  I also see that someone else posted that they were going to do the same.  Can someone explain what would likely happen if I declined, and then a year from now requested that my name be put back on the list?  Would I retain my number? Would I have any chance of getting called again?  Thank you in advance.

spoke to the liaison today and she said there are 50 spots for April 29th class. 

thx for sharing Gherigfan1... can anyone else share what the previous class sizes were? I thought i read b4 they were about 40 each, except for the 1st class (oct'12) which was a mix of promo & oc.

does this make it the biggest class for 8098 yet? r there now more TSS' available for school car too? if so i hope this trend continues...

Edited by bc0v9g9

there wasn't an eye chart. You just look into a machine and they test everything from vision to depth perception to color blindness. If you wear glasses they do the test with and without your glasses. If you know you need glasses your best bet is to get them before your medical. If you fail the vision and they say you need glasses, they will put you on medical hold until you get them. By the time you get them and go back to be retested that may put you into a later class. That means you'll lose seniority that you would have had. And let me tell you seniority is everything down here. It determines when you can pick a job, your days off, your vacation and more. If you want to take that chance and possibility lose some seniority then don't bother with getting those glasses.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

do they test the eyes individually or just both eyes???

im asking this cause i didnt pass the eye test for bus operator , they test the eyes separately amd due to a macular degeneration in my left  eye i didnt pass , even though that i have an class A cdl license i cant get 19a certified....

the day that they disqualified me i asked the doctor and told me that for conductor ill be fine ....

what u guys think ???

also my list # in in the 1700's for exam 8094 , im confused because i see that they calling also for exam 8098??? or is a mistake?

do i have a chance to get called ?

thanks!!

I am in the 640's and I did initial drug test on 2/1 and now they called me in for medical on 4/11. I was wondering for those who have done the eye test, do they test both eyes together or is each eye tested individually?