Bx24 extended to Westchester Sq. and other 'minor' changes to several bus routes for Spring 2012

Amtrak7

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sadly it's true they don't use buses plus this will HURT B103 RIDERSHIP BADLY!!!!!!! I wonder is the BQE to atlantic faster than the proposed routing?

The 278 is jammed back during rush hours, I dont think thats a good idea. Now other times I dont see a problem.

The B103 is a lot faster on 3rd Ave.

1) A local B103.... for what purpose ?

What demand is there for service b/w our neck of the woods (flatbush/east flatbush) & park slope/windsor terrace, outside of what's already provided by the B67?

I aint with all this botching & tinkering & screwing up of the B103..... Quite sure B103 riders won't be either.....

2) don't remember windsor terrace protesting over no B68.... I remember Park Slope riders making a push for the 68 to be extended, due to construction on the (F)(G).... Which had zero to do with what creed & type of riders boarded the buses......

even if windsor terrace protested that, it wouldn't strengthen your argument any anyway....

Those are both white dominated areas, and there is no divide b/w patrons of those areas....

1) The thing is that it's a PITA to get between the areas, even if there's not too much demand between them. I mean, to get between East Flatbush and Park Slope, you either have to sit on the B8 or B35 until it reaches the (F), or you have to take a roundabout route with the (2) into Downtown Brooklyn.

Maybe a few locals wouldn't hurt (say, every 3rd bus or something)

2) No, that was Windsor Terrace riders. The people around the B68 terminal and to the south had their stations shut down in one direction, and they wanted to avoid backtracking to Church Avenue to catch the (F).

It actually wasn't too bad an idea. Even if the MTA couldn't discontinue it, it's a short extension anyway, and it could probably get riders, since it goes by Methodist Hospital. If there was an (F) express in the future, ridership would increase even more (say you live by Avenue C/Coney Island Avenue, and don't want to take the Brighton Line for some reason, you could take the B68 to 7th Avenue instead of 15th Street/Prospect Park)

By the way, has anybody noticed that Google Maps put up the boundaries for different neighborhoods? They're a little inaccurate, but anyway...

A few of us said that would happen anyway back when it was implemented... mark1447, myself, I think cotb16 was in the mix too.... Should have never taken the Bx5 off Bruckner in the first place.... Still laughing at what the MTA said about the Bx5 on Crosby av:

www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/512622-post2.html

I guess crosby av can't benefit from the Bx5 anymore... What happened all of a sudden...

MTA:

Reinvest the operating savings achieved with this faster routing in an extension of the Bx24 along Westchester Avenue between the Pelham Bay Park (6) Station and Westchester Square.

In other words Country Club is the reason for a Bx5 change again.

1) The thing is that it's a PITA to get between the areas, even if there's not too much demand between them. I mean, to get between East Flatbush and Park Slope, you either have to sit on the B8 or B35 until it reaches the (F), or you have to take a roundabout route with the (2) into Downtown Brooklyn.

Maybe a few locals wouldn't hurt (say, every 3rd bus or something)

It can be a PITA, but that's still no reason to have the B103 run local coming all the way from Canarsie; doesn't matter how often it would run.....

2) No, that was Windsor Terrace riders. The people around the B68 terminal and to the south had their stations shut down in one direction, and they wanted to avoid backtracking to Church Avenue to catch the (F).

Nah.... Park slope patrons (along with councilman Lander) were the ones who made a push for that proposal.... There are more park slope riders that use the 15th st station than you might think.... Backing for it came from Windsor Terrace patrons who (also) lost out (ft. hamilton pkwy sta.), in that same scenario you just described....

It actually wasn't too bad an idea. Even if the MTA couldn't discontinue it, it's a short extension anyway, and it could probably get riders, since it goes by Methodist Hospital. If there was an (F) express in the future, ridership would increase even more (say you live by Avenue C/Coney Island Avenue, and don't want to take the Brighton Line for some reason, you could take the B68 to 7th Avenue instead of 15th Street/Prospect Park)

I wasn't too fond of the idea (just based on the fact that the current B68 route has reliability problems as it is), but I do agree it would get riders b/w park slope & say, church av at the very least....

By the way, has anybody noticed that Google Maps put up the boundaries for different neighborhoods? They're a little inaccurate, but anyway...

Yeah, I noticed that this past friday as I was completing my brooklyn bus map... was too lazy to type in "saint nicholas av & palmetto st" at the time, so I typed "ridgewood, ny" instead, and I saw some dotted lines on the map.....

out of curiousity, I typed in East Flatbush afterwards.... looked at the borders they set, just smh & continued on w/ what I was doing.....

In other words Country Club is the reason for a Bx5 change again.

Yep, and also, in other words, that Bx5 stint down crosby lost them money -

Oops, our miscalculation....

....Which would be another ploy in forcing more people onto trains.... that theory of mine is becoming all too evident now....

It's not even to the point of just a simple prediction anymore, it's gotten that bad.....

To whoever brought up the 41, I don't think you'll have too many ppl. taking the B41, having came off 103's.... most them folks is fin to gun right for the subway....

Anywy, cutting all runs back to the junction, I wouldn't put it past em.... Personally I think they might be looking to ultimately curtail service by decreasing its operating hours (i.e., not having it run during the midday & past like 9pm or something)... on top of decreased service to/from downtown.....

^^ In either case, what a sucker move to bring up a route they way they did the 103, only to knock it right back on its behind by wanting to shift it onto the busiest possible routing to get to downtown, talkin bout some 7th av, 9th st, and 5th av... sure, why not push it back to flatbush @ 5th....

...because we need more buses having longer stints on flatbush av....

...because we need more congestion in that area once they put up that damn Nets stadium....

How many different times is this now, that they have tinkered w/ the B103's routing b/w flatbush av & the expressway.....

I brought up the B41 idea. Only reason I brought it up is b/c there are times ESPECIALLY MORNING RUSH (2)/(5) trains get delayed between Flatbush and Atlantic. (I know from experience) thus this is where 41/44/(Q) and dollar vans become a deal factor, thus eliminating the B103 heading downtown.

The B103 was created for Canarsie for a few main reasons. Canarsie service on the B17/B82 is HORRIBLE, also the 103 helped out during the weekend shutdowns on the (L) really made the 103 so popular. Now that most of the construction is over on the (L) not too many G/O's b/w Rock Pkwy & Junction.

Another main issue along with this B103 fiasco is the BM1/2/3. These 3 lines experienced extreme changes with now buses ending Manhattan service at 4PM on weekends. I feel there will be some type of elimination of the Spring Creek express buses in the near future (IMO). No increased headways at ALL.

I know this idea has long been proposed in some shape or form, but why not have a Local and Limited B103. The Local could serve Park Slope and Windsor Terrace and the Limited would go non-stop to Downtown... something like that.

A local (B103)?? I don't understand it nor I want to comprehend it AT ALL.

Stopping in Park Slope and Windsor Terrace is going to kill MORE allotted to get Downtown Brooklyn, and something tells me that the MTA is willing to kill the Canarsie to Downtown express at somepoint.

Park Slope and Windsor Terrace customers already have options via the (B67)/(B69)/(B68), (F)(G) to take them downtown which is ONLY about 15-20 mins away.

A local (B103)?? I don't understand it nor I want to comprehend it AT ALL.

Stopping in Park Slope and Windsor Terrace is going to kill MORE allotted to get Downtown Brooklyn, and something tells me that the MTA is willing to kill the Canarsie to Downtown express at somepoint.

Park Slope and Windsor Terrace customers already have options via the (B67)/(B69)/(B68), (F)(G) to take them downtown which is ONLY about 15-20 mins away.

but MTA does not pay for B103 which is source of what I am thinking

A reroute of Q7 to ridgewood by staying on rockaway blvd could work it would retain links with the (A) and gain links with the (J) and (M)(L) lines and can replace the B18 too!!!!! It can travel on cypress ave towards ridgewood bus terminal. Q7 ppl from B13 will instead use Q7 directly and (A) folk will stay on till rockaway blvd. Q7 via rockaway blvd to elderts and etna st north bound then cypress ave. southbound uses cresent to fulton. Pitkin sutter segment well doesn't have much use it's mostly transfer riders from subway. Just a thought. This will restore cypress ave service.

Ohh a B103 local = VERY LOCO!!!!!!! ppl with places to go will avoid it like poison

A reroute of Q7 to ridgewood by staying on rockaway blvd could work it would retain links with the (A) and gain links with the (J) and (M)(L) lines and can replace the B18 too!!!!! It can travel on cypress ave towards ridgewood bus terminal. Q7 ppl from B13 will instead use Q7 directly and (A) folk will stay on till rockaway blvd. Q7 via rockaway blvd to elderts and etna st north bound then cypress ave. southbound uses cresent to fulton. Pitkin sutter segment well doesn't have much use it's mostly transfer riders from subway. Just a thought. This will restore cypress ave service.

Ohh a B103 local = VERY LOCO!!!!!!! ppl with places to go will avoid it like poison

Wasn't the B18 eliminated about a decade ago? I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy

Pls do not railroad another thread with your "thoughts", "ideas" or "reroutes". The thread is about the Bx24, B103 and Q41 reroutes and extensions. If you not going make a good contribute to the thread then don't a say anything else!

B103 can use BQE for off peak hours while retaining 3rd ave at rush. Ohh opinions aren't welcome anymore EXCUSE ME FOR TALKING. Last I checked the rules don't say otherwise got it!!!!!!!!

B103 can use BQE for off peak hours while retaining 3rd ave at rush. Ohh opinions aren't welcome anymore EXCUSE ME FOR TALKING. Last I checked the rules don't say otherwise got it!!!!!!!!

Read what I said again....where I did say about not having an opinion and don't start your mess with me..GOT IT!

I have to make a correction here as the B/18 Wyckoff Avenue/Cypress Avenue was merged with the B/13 Crescent Street many years ago and the Cypress Avenue section was eliminated at that time.The other end of the B/18 which operated to Metropolitian and Graham Avenues was merged with the B/13 and rerouted via Wyckoff, Flushing and Bushwick Avenues.Prior to the merger of the two routes, the B/18 ranked near the bottom in terms of number of riders and revenue.

Interestingly the merged route did not work out as the B/13 now terminates at Wyckoff and DeKalb Avenues since the last round of service reductions.

This change has merit as it provides a faster alternative to the B/13 route from Jamaica Avenue to Ridgewood, however, it is up to the communities involved to push it through their representatives for it to become a reality.

Does anybody know where the whole Eastern Bronx Bus Proposal open house meeting is going to take place in and at what time does it begins and ends, because, honestly, I have no idea:confused:?

The meetings are at their headquarters in Midtown Manhattan (347 Madison Avenue).

This meeting was today. See the calendar:

Monday, January 23rd

Metro-North & LIRR Committee Mtg. — 8:30 a.m.

NYCT Committee Mtg. — 10:00 a.m.

MTA Bus Operations Committee Mtg. — 11:30 a.m.

B&T Committee Mtg. — 12:15 p.m.

Finance Committee Mtg. — 12:45 p.m.

CPOC Committee Mtg. — 2:00 p.m.

Audit Committee Mtg. — 3:15 p.m.

Security Committee Mtg. — 4:00 p.m.

Wednesday, January 25th

Board Mtg. — 9:30 a.m.

The meetings are posted up here: MTA Board and Committee Calendar

At the meeting:

-Andrew Albert, the riders' advocate, said that he rode the Q41 with the traffic checkers and agreed with the streamlining-it's the most circuitous route he's ever seen.

-There was a large uproar among members regarding the schedule changes and community board notification. The actions are on hold pending further discussion as somebody always objects at every schedule change. I didn't hear the whole thing, but it appears the committee will be notified (in private, unfortunately) of what becomes of this in a week.

A decade ago in September of 2002 I believe!

Both you and Intrestred Rider are correct. Besides the B13/18 merger, the B47 was created as a portion of the old B40 and B78 were also merged. That then new (B47) route created a 'through' bus along the entire length of Ralph Ave in Bushwick to Ave. U in Mill Basin. The negative was that Liberty Ave between Gatson Blvd and Penn Ave(including a major housing project) lost bus service.

Both you and Intrestred Rider are correct. Besides the B13/18 merger, the B47 was created as a portion of the old B40 and B78 were also merged. That then new (B47) route created a 'through' bus along the entire length of Ralph Ave in Bushwick to Ave. U in Mill Basin. The negative was that Liberty Ave between Gatson Blvd and Penn Ave(including a major housing project) lost bus service.

There was nothin wrong w/ the B78 physical route.... The B40 was underperforming; folks seldom boarded along b'way; it didn't need a route running from ralph to WBP... the B46 snatched (and still does to this day) the bulk of those riders b/w WBP & Malcolm X......

The thing w/ the B47 is that buses have a tendency to come when they want; not reliable at all....

I mean, the B78 had that same problem, but it didn't travel as long as the current B47 does, so it wadn't as bad....

I wish they start implementing some short turns over there by Rutland Rd (3) already (towards kings plz, that is).....

Archived