$500 for farebeaters...

Blitz

Since it's going to be beating a dead horse, I'm going to concede on the issues here. It's not worth continuing it on anymore.

I will agree with Noflexdont about how it would be ideal for the box to return the amount deposited or if the boxes automatically rejects a low balance card than to take the fare entirely. But I still think it would be ideal if boxes can take dollar bills as other than bus only riders, who carries that much change on hand especially if they are going to transfer to the subway? That's all my point was from the start. I'm sure it's happened to anyone of us at one time or another that we forget the pay per ride card is short of the full fare. That is why I don't believe you should be punished for that, maybe a warning or a $50 fine. It's those that enters the bus from the back doors or just passes by the driver without going near the box that should be getting the full fine of $500 or jail time. I think this would be fair - it punishes the guilty, but also enforces people to carry a backup card. If that's not fair, then you'd [in general] have to be real uptight.

As for the O5 seats, I will say that the 2 seaters were bad because the armrest locks two people in. They are as bad as the M7 seats on the LIRR, very narrow. If not for the armrests, the person on the outer seat would likely be in the aisle. The seats on the 9300s were probably as wide as the ones on the MCIs, but obviously they were poorly maintained because of years of abuse from local only riders and granted it was a very narrow aisle to walk thru to the back. Had they been better maintained or replaced and used mainly on the express route, then I don't see what's wrong with giving them to MTA bus for them to use on local/express or just express only service. I'm no expert on buses, but if the problem is with potholes or any bumps in the road, couldn't the 40' buses have some modifications done to make them ride as smoothly as the MCIs?

Ok fine, maybe SI being as far as it is is justified with MCIs, but buses from Queens and Brooklyn could get by with 40' buses as opposed to the D4500s. Where does it say all express bus routes must use D4500s or such? Seems like an MTA thing and maybe a lucerative deal with MCI. IMO.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen other transit agencies take dollar bills as a form of payment. But that would be time consuming considering that the bill could be rejected if it's wrinkled or old.

As for the 40' with suburban seats, I rest my case on it. They'd still be getting their comfort as if they were on an MCI. It would just save money as per maintaining the coach buses because they have more parts than a local bus that need to be looked after.

If it were up to me, whatever BM, BxM or QM lines we have would all have suburban Novas running.

And for the fare beating stance, bus drivers should stand their ground in regards to letting passengers on with little to no money. Those type of people shouldn't get a ride.

Yeah, I mean, if the vacuum is going to destroy the bills, then why not have some 'Locked box' attached to the side of the machine just to collect bills? It'd be very simple and wouldn't cost much. I mean short of installing an MVM at every major stop on the bus route [limited stop ones], paying with dollar bills would be a bigger time saver than a person asking other people for some change.

But the whole all or nothing stance is what I don't agree with. If people are able to pay, they will, if they don't then they should be punished. You can't punish people because the MTA is antiquated in not taking dollar bills.

So sorry, the bodega and taxi analogies are not the same. You can pay with dollar bills in those cases. On the buses, especially if you don't live near a subway stop, you have to carry coins on hand or have to memorize what amount you have left on the card, which can be a problem if you have to get out of the house in a hurry for the am rush.

I don't know how much clearer on these issues I can make it.

I would always catch em on the B64; those things were NOT comfortable... I've been on em when they had em out in Jamaica on the Q77 also....

The number one problem I had w/ those seats were that, the "seat" part (the part you put your behind on) wouldn't be intact a lot of the time.... While sitting down, you had to worry about keeping it in place as the bus was in motion.... good luck if the bus hits a bump in the road.... You shouldn't be feeling anything "solid" as you're sitting down on something that's cushioned....

Then of course, as you said, the ripped seats.... they would stain your clothes too.

I would rather sit on a "regular" seated RTS than those things.... I didn't look forward to riding the soft seated RTS; the sense of discomfort was always there.... and I absolutely hated when they had those orion's w/ the soft seats on the BM's..... That's the one thing I'm glad they discontinued using as part of their (exp.) bus fleet.... Worse, they would be used more on the BM super expresses (which is another little thing I noticed).....

If that was the case in Brooklyn, it definitely wasn't the case here in Queens once the handful of 9200s they had with those seats were milling about. I didn't mind riding them, but it did suck hard when the bus got packed!

I will agree with Noflexdont about how it would be ideal for the box to return the amount deposited or if the boxes automatically rejects a low balance card than to take the fare entirely. But I still think it would be ideal if boxes can take dollar bills as other than bus only riders, who carries that much change on hand especially if they are going to transfer to the subway? That's all my point was from the start. I'm sure it's happened to anyone of us at one time or another that we forget the pay per ride card is short of the full fare. That is why I don't believe you should be punished for that, maybe a warning or a $50 fine. It's those that enters the bus from the back doors or just passes by the driver without going near the box that should be getting the full fine of $500 or jail time. I think this would be fair - it punishes the guilty, but also enforces people to carry a backup card. If that's not fair, then you'd [in general] have to be real uptight.

So sorry, the bodega and taxi analogies are not the same. You can pay with dollar bills in those cases. On the buses, especially if you don't live near a subway stop, you have to carry coins on hand or have to memorize what amount you have left on the card, which can be a problem if you have to get out of the house in a hurry for the am rush.

I don't know how much clearer on these issues I can make it.

lol @ you can pay with dollar bills....

The analogy applies... If you don't pay the full fare, it's theft of services... Period.

How much more clearer do you need that to be, GC ?

You're stuck on this whole notion of not being able to pay with dollar bills; it aint about that.... People aren't farebeating b/c that option isn't available, that's ridiculous man..... Furthermore, that many dam people aren't forgetting (or having to memorize) what they have on their MC's either - It's nothin more than a convenient excuse....

A farebeater is a farebeater.... I don't know what in the world makes you think that being able to pay the fare by way of dollar bills is, or would be some sort of remedy to anything.... I mean, that's the message you're sending by continuing to bring that point up in this discussion.....

If some dude aint tryna pay $2.25 in full in coins, or on a MC upon boarding a (local) bus....

Why would any rational person believe that same person would pay $2.25 in a combination of "dollar bills" & coins....

Honestly I think accepting dollar bills would just slow the boarding process down as it may not accept bills that are old or wrinkled, the same issue with vending machines.

I kinda understand why the government wants to phase out dollar bills in favor of dollar coins. People would then have no excuse at all if they say they have no change for a dollar since change would be the new dollar!

I think the government was going to end production of the presidential dollar coins because demand for them was limited. Not saying that applies to dollar coins in general, but as long as there is the quarter, it seems the dollar coins are not as popular.

In all honesty I'm not going to continue on this issue anymore, it's a lost cause. I will end with this: the days of the token were best, as you either had exact change or a token. None of this exact balance crap with the cards. The only good thing about the cards is the subway-bus transfer, that's it.

Excuses... Excuses... It's a very legitimate one, but not excusable. Tell me this... We have so few places to get Metrocards, yet farebeating on SI is only a problem on the local buses and not the express buses... What does that tell you?? Also can you answer the question as to why your sister was under the impression that passengers have to be let on even if they don't pay?? Where did she get that idea from?? :confused:

1-The express buses are friggin' EXPENSIVE, thats why it doesn't happen. People aren't going to bother with it. If people are going to pay part of the fare on an Xpress bus, that amount they have is gonna most likely be the local bus fare. And if you dare state that the fare is posted on the side of the bus I will hit you. Everyone on here should know most people in this city have a reading problem.

2-She claims one of her foster moms relatives has worked as a B/O and SHE said that they are not supposed to deny you a ride. That's where it came from. I've tried to tell her but she's as thickheaded as our mom. But at least mother knows that's not true.

1-The express buses are friggin' EXPENSIVE, thats why it doesn't happen. People aren't going to bother with it. If people are going to pay part of the fare on an Xpress bus, that amount they have is gonna most likely be the local bus fare. And if you dare state that the fare is posted on the side of the bus I will hit you. Everyone on here should know most people in this city have a reading problem.

lol... That and the B/O wouldn't let them on anyway... :cool: :tup: The only way you get a free ride is if the reader is messed up. Otherwise, off you go!

2-She claims one of her foster moms relatives has worked as a B/O and SHE said that they are not supposed to deny you a ride. That's where it came from. I've tried to tell her but she's as thickheaded as our mom. But at least mother knows that's not true.

Hmm... Well apparently she's not the only one that thinks like that. I took the S54 this morning over to the X12 and two people got on (trying to pass off as "students" ;)) and gave a gesture and then continued on. If they're students then where is their Student Metrocard?? There is no way they would be out of rides already when it's just 09:00 in the morning. :P

Hope this bill gets passes. This will teach people that you need to have your fare to ride the system. There also needs to be enforcement on the buses also. Not enough enforcement to combat a growing problem. This is one of the reasons why the fares go up b/c of people's inability to pay the bus/train fare.

HELL YES BEAT DOWN THEIR BANK ACCOUNTS those farebeaters DESERVE A BURNING FINANCIAL BEATDOWN!!!!!!!!! Sometimes there needs to be better enforcement on buses even arrests on buses by cops need to be done.

Hey, having the option to dispense dollar bills into the farebox would be a godsend to those who lack a subway station for metrocards!
So true it needs to be done with a catch express bus CASH FARE ONLY: goes up to $6 only bills can be accepted DONE.

Honestly I think accepting dollar bills would just slow the boarding process down as it may not accept bills that are old or wrinkled, the same issue with vending machines.

I kinda understand why the government wants to phase out dollar bills in favor of dollar coins. People would then have no excuse at all if they say they have no change for a dollar since change would be the new dollar!

Not really if the cash fare is hiked then it would discourage cash payment. While easing the boarding process.

Speaking of getting the thread back "on topic", you never answered my question about farebeating... ;)
Wow so that was what I was doing all this time sorry.

I've seen other transit agencies take dollar bills as a form of payment. But that would be time consuming considering that the bill could be rejected if it's wrinkled or old.

As for the 40' with suburban seats, I rest my case on it. They'd still be getting their comfort as if they were on an MCI. It would just save money as per maintaining the coach buses because they have more parts than a local bus that need to be looked after.

If it were up to me, whatever BM, BxM or QM lines we have would all have suburban Novas running.

And for the fare beating stance, bus drivers should stand their ground in regards to letting passengers on with little to no money. Those type of people shouldn't get a ride.

I will have to agree with via 8 NO NOVAS ON EXPRESS LINES. They carry too much stigma and will be a deterrent to ridership and would be counter productive to it's desired effect.

I've read bits and pieces of this thread and I will say that it is a wonderful, WONDERFUL thing to see that the fine for fare beating may go up to $500. In a perfect world, it would go up to $1000 lol. Now with that said, and since this is in the Bus Forum, it will only be worth a damn if cops actually ride the buses or stand at the major bus stops where the fare beating occurs. If that doesnt change with the fine, then what's the point? Them sorry ass bitches will still find a way to beat the fare and the drivers won't be able to do much about it. I hope it will be enforced on the buses but I don't see it happening, at least not immediately.

Hmm... Well apparently she's not the only one that thinks like that. I took the S54 this morning over to the X12 and two people got on (trying to pass off as "students" ;)) and gave a gesture and then continued on. If they're students then where is their Student Metrocard?? There is no way they would be out of rides already when it's just 09:00 in the morning. :P

See, THAT one I don't agree with. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever lose that card. It works 6 days a week from 5:30am-11pm. Love that thing too much lol. I'm gonna cry in June when I gotta give it up.

To the guy above, you disgust me. Supporting a number that disgustingly high, 250 sounds muy perfecto. Even if cops are partolling the busses and giving out tickets, I bet you my life that only 10% of these people are gonna pay it.

See, THAT one I don't agree with. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever lose that card. It works 6 days a week from 5:30am-11pm. Love that thing too much lol. I'm gonna cry in June when I gotta give it up.

To the guy above, you disgust me. Supporting a number that disgustingly high, 250 sounds muy perfecto. Even if cops are partolling the busses and giving out tickets, I bet you my life that only 10% of these people are gonna pay it.

I agree with Princelex.... Should go up to $500.00... A $1,000.00 is too high.

They carry too much stigma and will be a deterrent to ridership and would be counter productive to it's desired effect.

In plain english, they won't ride them because it represents a local bus.

Even if cops are partolling the busses and giving out tickets, I bet you my life that only 10% of these people are gonna pay it.

Sure they can fight it.... But if the charged won't pay it after being found guilty, they'll face jail time, that's all..... Simple.

I'm talking 100% of those people by the way.

Them sorry ass bitches will still find a way to beat the fare and the drivers won't be able to do much about it.

.....was my basic point all along, regarding the side discussion & the excuses that were being presented within it.

I've read bits and pieces of this thread and I will say that it is a wonderful, WONDERFUL thing to see that the fine for fare beating may go up to $500. In a perfect world, it would go up to $1000 lol. Now with that said, and since this is in the Bus Forum, it will only be worth a damn if cops actually ride the buses or stand at the major bus stops where the fare beating occurs. If that doesnt change with the fine, then what's the point? Them sorry ass bitches will still find a way to beat the fare and the drivers won't be able to do much about it. I hope it will be enforced on the buses but I don't see it happening, at least not immediately.

Only time you can POSSIBLY see that is during the midday or late night with a HAWK, not generally during the rush hours. I've been on buses where street clothes cops board in Brooklyn looking for the obvious person sneaking into the backdoor.

But yes, agreed the fine is a start and there needs to be better enforcement on high frequency bus lines throughout the city during the rush hour & deal with a curbing problem of having buses arriving 10-15 mins packed to the brimm, and passengers need to move in and stay clear of the white line.

There are times you can wait up to 20 mins or 4 to 5 buses coming at one time during the AM rush.

In plain english, they won't ride them because it represents a local bus.

LOL... I remember back in 2006, I was waiting for an X16 and this old @ss Orion comes pulling it (one of those 2XXs or something) and I was pissed. I said to myself, no way in the hell am I paying $5.50 for that. It's like going to Morton's steakhouse for a steak and getting Applebee's quality. :mad: LOL I waited for the next X16 which was an MCI. At that time they were short on MCIs so they had to pull that bus from storage I guess. That's why they don't want to get different buses (length wise) for express routes because if they're short and need MCIs for heavy used runs, they're forced to use buses that are overpacked and legally on some express bus routes, you are not supposed to have standees. Not only that, but express bus passengers get extremely pissed if they have to pay $5.50 and stand over an hour or more and I can't blame them either. You have folks saying raise the express bus fare to $6 or $7 too and they expect people to stand... ;) For $2.25 yes, but for almost triple the price, once should be able to sit accordingly and COMFORTABLY.

It's like when I call for car service and they have the nerve to expect me to share a car with another passenger. No way... The last time they tried that stunt, I just closed the door and said forget it. The driver said, I'll let them send another car for the other guy and then I got in.

LOL... I remember back in 2006, I was waiting for an X16 and this old @ss Orion comes pulling it (one of those 2XXs or something) and I was pissed. I said to myself, no way in the hell am I paying $5.50 for that. It's like going to Morton's steakhouse for a steak and getting Applebee's quality. :mad: LOL I waited for the next X16 which was an MCI. At that time they were short on MCIs so they had to pull that bus from storage I guess. That's why they don't want to get different buses (length wise) for express routes because if they're short and need MCIs for heavy used runs, they're forced to use buses that are overpacked and legally on some express bus routes, you are not supposed to have standees. Not only that, but express bus passengers get extremely pissed if they have to pay $5.50 and stand over an hour or more and I can't blame them either. You have folks saying raise the express bus fare to $6 or $7 too and they expect people to stand... ;) For $2.25 yes, but for almost triple the price, once should be able to sit accordingly and COMFORTABLY.

It's like when I call for car service and they have the nerve to expect me to share a car with another passenger. No way... The last time they tried that stunt, I just closed the door and said forget it. The driver said, I'll let them send another car for the other guy and then I got in.

Outside of NYC you be waiting all day or night as sharing a cab/taxi in the 'burus' and my neck of the woods in Dutchess you sometimes have to share a ride. And the kicker is, you still pay full price even sharing with 2-3 other riders.:mad:

Back to topic. A big help in combating the farebeating 'crisis' imo, is more pre boarding vending machines. Not just at SBS locations either. It should be expanded to busy stops i.e Kings Plaza, Fordham Plaza, SI Mall, Williamsburg Plaza, etc. even on local buses. You can raise the fine all you want but a better job of NYPD/MTA Police and the Bus Drivers is what needed more than needed. While in a huge transit system like the New York (NYCT) you never end farebeating. However the problem can be controlled better though.

Outside of NYC you be waiting all day or night as sharing a cab/taxi in the 'burus' and my neck of the woods in Dutchess you sometimes have to share a ride. And the kicker is, you still pay full price even sharing with 2-3 other riders.:mad:

Back to topic. A big help in combating the farebeating 'crisis' imo, is more pre boarding vending machines. Not just at SBS locations either. It should be expanded to busy stops i.e Kings Plaza, Fordham Plaza, SI Mall, Williamsburg Plaza, etc. even on local buses. You can raise the fine all you want but a better job of NYPD/MTA Police and the Bus Drivers is what needed more than needed. While in a huge transit system like the New York (NYCT) you never end farebeating. However the problem can be controlled better though.

Not sure why they can't just do random blitzes.

LOL... I remember back in 2006, I was waiting for an X16 and this old @ss Orion comes pulling it (one of those 2XXs or something) and I was pissed. I said to myself, no way in the hell am I paying $5.50 for that. It's like going to Morton's steakhouse for a steak and getting Applebee's quality. :mad: LOL I waited for the next X16 which was an MCI. At that time they were short on MCIs so they had to pull that bus from storage I guess. That's why they don't want to get different buses (length wise) for express routes because if they're short and need MCIs for heavy used runs, they're forced to use buses that are overpacked and legally on some express bus routes, you are not supposed to have standees. Not only that, but express bus passengers get extremely pissed if they have to pay $5.50 and stand over an hour or more and I can't blame them either. You have folks saying raise the express bus fare to $6 or $7 too and they expect people to stand... :P For $2.25 yes, but for almost triple the price, once should be able to sit accordingly and COMFORTABLY.

Lolllllllllllll you got an Orion 5 on the X16!!!

If I had $5.50 and saw an Orion 5 on an X1 I would get on that in a heartbeat ;)

As for the standing issue, you're not supposed to be standing while crossing state lines (e.g. New York to New Jersey, or vice versa), so on runs like the X17J, X22, X30 and the p.m. X31 trips that travel via New Jersey. Hell some operators won't let standing passengers on an express line that's not leaving state boundaries.

Now we get to Staten Island, the borough that I hate to take the bus in (not like I have a choice). I catch either the s48, s46, and s40 near the beginnings of their respective west ends. Of the three, the s40 has the most fare beaters. Within a stretch of 1/2 mile, I on average see at least 6-8 people strolling on the bus without paying the fare. The worse part is, most of them have bags of newly purchased clothing or something of the sort with them which makes me wonder how they can't pay the fare. I'm the kind of person that if I know I dont have the money or a school Metro, I wont travel. Which reminds me, Mys sis has been blabbering what to me sounds kinda stupid. She says that bus drivers are not supposed to deny people transport. Thats not true right?

Out of the three, I think it's actually the S46 that has more farebeaters. Maybe it's because it serves more schools.

As far as denying people transport, I've heard many times that the policy is to just state the fare and keep it moving. I'm not a B/O obviously so obviously I'm just going by what's been posted on these forums.

This is the last post I'll be making about farebeating in this thread, but as I've always said, it should be up to the discretion of the driver. If somebody gets on with fancy shoes and a new cell phone, then don't let them ride, but if somebody looks like they're legitimately trying to get somewhere (school-related, an after-school job, etc) then let them on as long as they're not causing a disturbance.

Nobody try to say anything because I'm not saying anything else on this matter.

[quote name='Grand Concourse;518191

Because you seem to make such a big stink over how if a person is short on the fare [but tries to ask ppl for change] should still be fined. If it is so much about money to you' date=' then everyone should pay more especially the further away they live from Manhattan. SI comes to mind because the buses have to go thru Brooklyn or Jersey. Of course there are other examples like the express buses from the Rockaways when the (A) is there. Checkmate had links about how each express route really costs, so that means there can be buses that costs $5.50 to those that costs $20 per person. That's my point about express buses as a whole, not just SI.

The point is not how durable the buses are, the point is they make 2-4 trips a day and either sit idle in Manhattan or deadheads empty back to the borough of their origin. PBL buses could run on the local routes during the day, thus maximizing their use. Local buses at least takes fares in both directions and deadheads within the borough. Express buses collects one way only and don't pick up 'reverse peak' riders heading in the opposite direction.[/quote']

I'd just like to point out that on SI, the farebox recovery route of the express buses is only slightly higher than that of the local routes (I'm too tired to figure it out now, but I believe it's 50% for the local routes and 45% for the express routes. On the weekends, the express buses actually have a higher FRR than the SI local routes)

SI express routes aren't really any more expensive than the routes in the other boroughs. They travel further, but they get more passengers so the cost is lower.

As far as off-peak and reverse-peak ridership goes, discounts during those times could help boost ridership, but a certain somebody doesn't want "riff-raff" riding his beloved express routes. :(

1) How did we go from farebeating to express buses??? :confused: I guess I shall repeat myself yet again... For the last time I support an increased base fare on the express bus. However, that could discourage ridership. For example in Riverdale, I'm sure some folks use the express bus over MetroNorth because it is slightly cheaper in addition to other reasons. That's one reason I will be using it once I move there. The express bus takes longer so why take it if you can take MetroNorth and pay the same or less? The only advantage would be that it takes you to places that MetroNorth doesn't, thus making it more convenient.

2) Yeah, that is the point because people love to harp on how "expensive" express buses are to maintain. The (MTA) switched to coach buses for several reasons and one of them I'm sure had to be cost. Why complain about the way express buses are run by the (MTA) when many other agencies run express bus service the same way with coach buses?? You expect express bus riders to pay more for less?? Is that the idea?? You clearly have a bias towards folks without subways. You complain about express buses but you wouldn't dare be willing to fork over the huge expensive via taxes of building subways or light rails. Just you complaining like JoelUpFront (aka Mr. Random). LOL So you expect folks in the suburbs to get out of their cars to pay a ish load to ride an express bus that offers no comfort and is overpriced. Is that the idea?? :(

1) If you're going to Lower Manhattan, you have to pay another fare if you take Metro-North. You only save money if you work (and do most of your other daily activities) within walking distance of Grand Central (or home), or else you're better off (financially) buying a weekly express bus pass. So in some ways it's a mattter of convenience, and in other ways it's a matter of cost.

2) Aside from the fact that there are express buses that parallel subway lines, how do you know he's not willing to pay for the cost of more subway lines (or light rail which is a stupid idea if you're trying to get people to Manhattan)? The long-term savings are definitely worth it (not to mention additional real estate tax and things like that).

Hmm... Well apparently she's not the only one that thinks like that. I took the S54 this morning over to the X12 and two people got on (trying to pass off as "students" :() and gave a gesture and then continued on. If they're students then where is their Student Metrocard?? There is no way they would be out of rides already when it's just 09:00 in the morning. :(

Actually, I've seen that happen a few times. Whether it was an error with the farebox or they somehow managed to take 3 rides at 07:30 in the morning I don't know, but in any case the B/O just let them on (I mean, where else would a teenager with books, trying to use a Student MetroCard be going at 07:30 in the morning?)

I've never had that problem, but in any case I'm just saying it's possible.

How'd you get a Student MetroCard like that? You have Satuurday school or something? Mine works Monday-Friday from 05:30-20:30, with 3 trips per day.

But yes, agreed the fine is a start and there needs to be better enforcement on high frequency bus lines throughout the city during the rush hour & deal with a curbing problem of having buses arriving 10-15 mins packed to the brimm, and passengers need to move in and stay clear of the white line.

This is another issue that it raises: If you have a zero tolerance policy, what do you do on those routes where the bus is so full that the only way to get in is through the back? Are you really going to start fining people who intend to pay but physically can't (and they might have to make a transfer so they'll pay anyway).

Archived