Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/18 schedule change...http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

Lots of added service on the N4 and N40/41, also a couple extra Saturday AM e/b N20's.

N57 now interlines w/ N20, but there's no indication on the schedule as to which trips link to which.

N48/49 service north of Broadway Mall is significantly reduced, midday service eliminated, and what remains is now a shuttle to Hicksville.

N79 loses its midday clockface schedule.

They should honestly give the shuttle it's own designation then. Maybe n44, or n94, or something.

IMO though, I don't think Jericho Quad needed all the service it got. Maybe it should've retained a midday round-trip (for those who leave early), have a run with a long layover do that round-trip.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

It's rare for anyone to stay on the N48/49 after Broadway Mall.  If anyone gets on at Hicksville, they got tired of waiting for an n20 but needed to get up 106 somehow.  I've actually been to Jericho Quad - it's a nice area.  The parking lots are always full but guess how many people are actually on the buses...

n57 Trips have been adjusted for more consistent frequencies. Many n57 trips are now tied in with n20s from Flushing in the a.m. and to Flushing in the p.m. This will allow many customers traveling from and to Queens the ability to stay on the bus and until their filnal destination in Great Neck/Flushing.[\u][\quote]

That's interesting! I wonder how passengers will know the n57 they are on and become a n20 and vice versa without having to get out and connect? Will it be announced? I wonder if drivers will follow through on this?

They should honestly give the shuttle it's own designation then. Maybe n44, or n94, or something.

IMO though, I don't think Jericho Quad needed all the service it got. Maybe it should've retained a midday round-trip (for those who leave early), have a run with a long layover do that round-trip.

They should add a stop on the other side of Jericho Tpk, after leaving the Quad,as well as one on the w/b side before entering the Quad to service people working at the Jericho Plaza office complex. There was even a petition started several years ago to get that,but nothing ever happened.

Why is the n4 experiencing double digit growth in ridership? Could it be that more people are choosing to take the n4 to Jamaica, instead of going all the way up to the Hempstead Turnpike to take the n6?

I think it's the economy people are broke and chose (maybe forced) is a better word onto the n4 instead of the LIRR. Sometimes you gotta chose between spending money or spending time...

That or people needing destinations in eastern queens that are better served by n4.

Why is the n4 experiencing double digit growth in ridership? Could it be that more people are choosing to take the n4 to Jamaica, instead of going all the way up to the Hempstead Turnpike to take the n6?

Jamaica is only a terminal for n4 however n4 is more frequent than the LIRR.

Has anyone seen what they have done with the N20? They reduced morning westbound service dramatically, buses were always full and there is a big Manhattan commute at that time. It appears they removed all the shortened westbound Great Neck routes and now only have westbound routes originating in Hicksville and Glen Cove. Did they make a mistake on the schedule or is this actually what there doing it might be a big mistake. 

Has anyone seen what they have done with the N20? They reduced morning westbound service dramatically, buses were always full and there is a big Manhattan commute at that time. It appears they removed all the shortened westbound Great Neck routes and now only have westbound routes originating in Hicksville and Glen Cove. Did they make a mistake on the schedule or is this actually what there doing it might be a big mistake. 

NICE happened.

those short turns carried air most of the time people simply piled onto n21s & N20 Roslyn/Hicksville. When the great neck runs ran I always saw them in queens carrying air with Roslyn or Hicksville trips minutes or sometimes seconds ahead or behind. Then again they only carried in the westbound direction eastbound was a joke. Edited by qjtransitmaster

That or people needing destinations in eastern queens that are better served by n4.Jamaica is only a terminal for n4 however n4 is more frequent than the LIRR.

I could miss my train on the Babylon, wait 30 min fir the next (off peak) while 4 n4's passed and I'd still be in Jamaica before any of those n4's that passed me. The n4 being more frequent has to little do with anything unless someone was taking a short trip, then why wait and pay more fir the tip when you can take the bus to closer to where your destination than the rigid LIRR stops?!

those short turns carried air most of the time people simply piled onto n21s & N20 Roslyn/Hicksville. When the great neck runs ran I always saw them in queens carrying air with Roslyn or Hicksville trips minutes or sometimes seconds ahead or behind. Then again they only carried in the westbound direction eastbound was a joke.

Exactly, it's "you get what you pay for" in reveres, if buses run empty the money to run that line will float to help to help a crowded or growing line.

Everyone wants their line to have 15 minute headway's but until we live in a perfect world where the transit system is overly funded times are tough and the money is going to go where the buses are full.

Edited by Burrstone

Now that the Walmart in Sunrise Mall in Massapequa is closing ( www.newsday.com/business/walmart-to-close-massapequa-store-in-march-1.9774792 ) does anyone think ridership will drop significantly on any of the buses that go into Sunrise Mall (SCT included). Do you think lines that service other Walmarts will increase? In the past I've noticed a big increase on the n19 of people going to and Freeport to go shopping at Walmart.

those short turns carried air most of the time people simply piled onto n21s & N20 Roslyn/Hicksville. When the great neck runs ran I always saw them in queens carrying air with Roslyn or Hicksville trips minutes or sometimes seconds ahead or behind. Then again they only carried in the westbound direction eastbound was a joke.

The w/b short trips from Great Neck were always needed in the p.m. When I worked the 20 from Hicksville,I always had to leave people behind at GNRR or flag everybody after that,before the short trips were added.

Its a ridiculous move by NICE in my opinion they have failed to mention they cut all of these n20 trips out in the AM westbound, I am hoping it is an error in the schedule because it will get ugly with the growing Manhattant commute that has been using the n20 between 7-9am. More and more people in Great Neck area are avoiding LIRR. Also, the cityline has been having long lines as people in Little Neck are trying to avoid using the Q12. 

So I am looking at the NICE fleet and they are purchasing Orion V CNG 2002 built. According to Wikipedia, the total of order is unknown, Ex-Foothill Transit and purchased from late 2014. I thought NICE are planning on retire the Orion V CNGs this year through 2016 and all of them to be replace by low floor CNG(whatever the bus is) sometime around 2015-2017.

The w/b short trips from Great Neck were always needed in the p.m. When I worked the 20 from Hicksville,I always had to leave people behind at GNRR or flag everybody after that,before the short trips were added.

Speaking of the 20, when did LIJ open those offices near Northern Boulevard and Community Drive?  I've been wondering what that area was before the 1980s...

So I am looking at the NICE fleet and they are purchasing Orion V CNG 2002 built. According to Wikipedia, the total of order is unknown, Ex-Foothill Transit and purchased from late 2014. I thought NICE are planning on retire the Orion V CNGs this year through 2016 and all of them to be replace by low floor CNG(whatever the bus is) sometime around 2015-2017.

It's more like a placeholder order until the new ones come in. The Orion Vs coming in from the other side of the country are from 2002 (about the same age as the 1600s). They may (don't take my word for it) replace the 1500s and the new order just wipes it the 1600s and the ex-Foothill ones.

...much like when the ex-bee line buses came in

NICE happened.

I think instead of having N20 short turns they're trying to get people to use the N21. The capacity is probably there but not used efficiently

First of all never believe Wikipedia for anything! I found the updated fleet there humorous because what it obviously was is someone who has no personal knowledge of what's going copying what they heard hear or on subchat trying to be the first to post it on Wikipedia to get some sort of lame internet credit for it. In fact the entire NICE article on Wikipedia looks to have been written by a one sided NICE haters.

For info on the "new" buses coming in, start scrolling through the high 340 through low 350 pages of this thread.

Sorry they're not photo shoot quality like some of but I was in a hurry (be thankful I stopped lol) good enough for the skeptics that won't believe it until they see it.

o3KFar0.jpg

W2aobYX.jpg