Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You the minority who thinks NICE is good. NICE sucks.

Mta LIB wasn't much better as long as there are stupidly long routes like N4&22 nothing will change. It's utterly unrealistic to take a bus from Freeport all the way to Jamaica and expect it to run on time. At least N43 doesn't do the 45 min headways anymore. Let's face it aside from the X & LTD variants some routes need to just need to be broken up.

0qhKCw5.gif

Dude I would just give up it's hopeless.

Well, the feelings are intense here...

Yup they are lol

Mta LIB wasn't much better as long as there are stupidly long routes like N4&22 nothing will change. It's utterly unrealistic to take a bus from Freeport all the way to Jamaica and expect it to run on time. At least N43 doesn't do the 45 min headways anymore. Let's face it aside from the X & LTD variants some routes need to just need to be broken up.

Yup they are lol

Break up like how, its not like the people in LI don't transfer enough already. Beside NICE loves interlining so the broken up route is probably be the same buses anyways.

Yup they are lol

It's also unrealistic to break up the intercounty routes like the n4,n6,n22,and n24, and expect everyone the take a three or four legged transfer to get to one destination.

It's also unrealistic to break up the intercounty routes like the n4,n6,n22,and n24, and expect everyone the take a three or four legged transfer to get to one destination.

N6 can't be broken up and N24 is shockingly reliable. The N4 & 22 excluding their X trips should be broken up during the day reliability is too poor. Those in Westbury and Freeport areas looking for queens service are kidding themselves it's unrealistic. And from places East & beyond are smoking something if they think NICE can be a viable alternative to LIRR. With N4 it is the day that is a problem. Admittedly flushing can be a candidate for express service sort of. N22x fills a void the LIRR leaves underserved. N4x is to reduce bunching. There is a reason N22 has peak hour trips that end at RFM called N22a.

Question of the day : How reliable is the N20 LTD when it runs?

Edited by qjtransitmaster

N6 can't be broken up and N24 is shockingly reliable. The N4 & 22 excluding their X trips should be broken up during the day reliability is too poor. Those in Westbury and Freeport areas looking for queens service are kidding themselves it's unrealistic. And from places East & beyond are smoking something if they think NICE can be a viable alternative to LIRR. With N4 it is the day that is a problem. Admittedly flushing can be a candidate for express service sort of. N22x fills a void the LIRR leaves underserved. N4x is to reduce bunching. There is a reason N22 has peak hour trips that end at RFM called N22a.

n20L Limited is very reliable since it skips Great Neck and Roslyn Mineola Av-Clock Tower.

Now, all n20L enters NYIT Loops, but some drivers stops outside.

Tonight after 20:55 n20 Roslyn left 3 minutes early, there was one LIU student who didn't know last bus to Hicksville Station was 7:25pm, so I told him to take Q17 Jamaica to Hillside Av to catch n22 Hicksville to Hicksville Station for taxi.

Whatever you're planning to do with the n20 won't work. NICE already beat you to the punch in terms of restructuring the line. The n20 now runs between the Roslyn Clock Tower and Flushing-Main Street. It has hourly service to Hicksville. The n4 shouldn't be broken up during the day since there's people from Freeport and Baldwin by Grand Avenue who depend on the route to get to Queens.

Edited by NY1635

You can't trade off reliability with ridership. Ridership to Queens is pretty high during the day especially when folks are coming from major hubs along the line. Breaking up lines would cause an increase in time, a decrease in ridership and more costs for the passenger, something that NICE wouldn't be that stupid to do, even with their questionable moves.

And the n22X hardly fills a void, especially since there are no PM runs. And the n4x was never to reduce bunching, especially since buses STILL bunch along Merrick Blvd. It was to provide a much faster trip overall considering that local n4s stop at almost every stop along the way up. The reason there are n22As terminating at RFM is because trips coming back down from RFM on the n22A are PACKED...PACKED!! Some of those n22As interline with other routes/deadhead to the depot but the majority of them that go up to RFM, come back down PACKED!

Where do you suggest that they break up the N4?

You can't trade off reliability with ridership. Ridership to Queens is pretty high during the day especially when folks are coming from major hubs along the line. Breaking up lines would cause an increase in time, a decrease in ridership and more costs for the passenger, something that NICE wouldn't be that stupid to do, even with their questionable moves.

And the n22X hardly fills a void, especially since there are no PM runs. And the n4x was never to reduce bunching, especially since buses STILL bunch along Merrick Blvd. It was to provide a much faster trip overall considering that local n4s stop at almost every stop along the way up. The reason there are n22As terminating at RFM is because trips coming back down from RFM on the n22A are PACKED...PACKED!! Some of those n22As interline with other routes/deadhead to the depot but the majority of them that go up to RFM, come back down PACKED!

Speaking of reliability-the N19 back in the 70's ran from Freeport all the way to Patchogue. Can just imagine what the reliability would be like if it did today.

n20L Limited is very reliable since it skips Great Neck and Roslyn Mineola Av-Clock Tower.

Now, all n20L enters NYIT Loops, but some drivers stops outside.

Tonight after 20:55 n20 Roslyn left 3 minutes early, there was one LIU student who didn't know last bus to Hicksville Station was 7:25pm, so I told him to take Q17 Jamaica to Hillside Av to catch n22 Hicksville to Hicksville Station for taxi.

I had a feeling that was the case thanks for being informative. How reliable is the N20 during offpeak hours? I have this feeling Pinepower is making crap up.

Whatever you're planning to do with the n20 won't work. NICE already beat you to the punch in terms of restructuring the line. The n20 now runs between the Roslyn Clock Tower and Flushing-Main Street. It has hourly service to Hicksville. The n4 shouldn't be broken up during the day since there's people from Freeport and Baldwin by Grand Avenue who depend on the route to get to Queens.

n20 you have a point I think NICE perfected it. They must be going to eastern queens to areas not near LIRR am I right? Plus if you are heading to Jamaica from Baldwin/freeport you're better off with LIRR.

Where do you suggest that they break up the N4?

N4x unchanged. N4 local truncation at Rockville centre. Extend N41 and N19 or N51 or both to Rockville centre. To allow N4 locals an easier time to maintain one-time performance and reduce huge delays. This maintains 15 min service on merrick rd. N19 I admit am not sure would work to be honest. I have other conflicting suggestions.  At rush hr just N4x,&41 for that service fully to Freeport. Evening and night N4 trips unchanged.

Don't most riders have unlimited metrocards? N22a that bit I understand not disputing that.

"Car-Free Day" on LI is coming up.

I can't believe people would try to advocate that here.

Lots of hospitals, schools, buildings already pledge to be car-lite or car-free.

On Last Car Free Day, it was success and it was less cars on Long Island that date.

I think reason Car Free Day started because of Worldwide movement and Long Island decided to join.

Other transit organization rides bus, so Mangano should ride for that date only to see himself.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Lots of hospitals, schools, buildings already pledge to be car-lite or car-free.

On Last Car Free Day, it was success and it was less cars on Long Island that date.

I think reason Car Free Day started because of Worldwide movement and Long Island decided to join.

Other transit organization rides bus, so Mangano should ride for that date only to see himself.

It is not possible stop

It is not possible stop

I didn't say our organization. I said Car Free pledgers. I said Nassau County Ed P. Mangano should ride NICE bus for that date only.

Slightly off-topic, there's interesting article for all public transit across state/world..

"Why the People in Charge of Transit Systems Should Be Required to Actually Ride Transit"

Back to NICE Bus and Car Free Day, I think this will be success because 1st car free day it was less traffic congested in Long Island.

I stopped by at Farmingdale State College today to see my friend, manager of Transit Solution, Roxemary, for Car Free Day Long Island Sponsors.

Lots of students and facilities signed PLEDGE to take car-lire, use NICE, SCT or LIRR.

LIRR Ronkonhoma Branch got delayed due to SICK PASSENGER when train got to Mineola. While waiting for train, Jack Khouz gave me 20 copies of n24 schedule, so I quickly put n24 schedule closer to n24/22 bay before LIRR employee told me trains going to run.

I got to Farmingdale Station at 14:20, which I missed 13:20 n70 Melville, so 14:15 n70 came late 15:06, and didn't make it to FSC until 15:22. I was late for Car Free Day LI Rally press conference.

And I went to college library and nice college librarian let me used staff computer because they don't allow non-student to use internet.

I said thank you, and said goodbye to Car Free Day after printing out MetroCard Store Guide provided provided by you-know-what, which they let me print for free.

I witnessed empty book shelve at SUNY Farmingdale State College's library which I have to reported to Citizen Defending Library.

When I was waiting for 16:00 S1 Halesite, 2 S1 Amityvlle showed up first, then 16:00 S1 Halesite was running 6 minutes late but arrived Walt Whitman Mall onetime 16:45.

Please don't be rude, Nassau County Public Transit Committee and Nassau County Legislature meeting is open to public, transit advocate, and non-bus rider, so I am free to attend meeting.

Edited by FamousNYLover

After 17:30 n79 1844 which was GoMobile Scanning Bus. I finally got GoMobile reader bus, which came from Route 110, when he was suppose to follow S1 Amityville from Jericho Turnpike to mall entrance and got crowded at Old Country Rd/Manetto Hill Rd due to passenger said 18:20 n78 Hicksville never showed up and we got to Hicksville at 18:25, 20 minutes late. He asked passenger onboard for cell phone and passenger kindly let him use phone to call his dispatcher. Maybe radio not working.

Then male driver I know who was 16:40 n20 Flushing had no CELL PHONE.

Then male driver on 19:00 n20 Flushing #1663 was driving very slow and he had no seatbelt on and he was suppose to arrive Flushing at 20:19, but he arrived 20:32, then I was my friend #1747 driver who was borrowing pharmacy's telephone.

After I got my dinner at New World Mall, pork soup dumplings, and large Honewdrew Bubble Milk Tea from 7beans since I had "Buy 10 and get one free, which I paid only 75 cent with free.

Then I decided to get another milk tea from new grand open place which I bought 2 since it was buy 1, get 1 free. Before I went into mall, there were 45 passengers waiting 20:30 n20 Hicksville came around 20:45 which was my bus #1663.

Then after that to go, when I was at Flushing-Main St n20/21 bus stop around 21:22 and it was about 34 estimate people.

When watch became 21:32, n20 Hicksville #1747 driver never stop. Maybe dispatcher sent him not in service or B/O forgot to change sign, which caused all 34 passengers angry.

Edited by FamousNYLover

The reason why N4's arrive at Freeport 20 minutes late is because they take off from Jamaica 20 minutes late, and vice-versa.  This is when there's no traffic at all on Saturdays/Sundays, yet it happens up and down the line all day long.  I've timed the route and it's pretty much a consistent 50-55 minute ride.  It would be crazy to send the N4 from Jamaica to Babylon, but Jamaica to Freeport is an important and busy route.  Many many people ride the entire length of the route to avoid the extremely high LIRR fares.  The solution is to have dispatchers make sure buses leave terminals on time.  And if not, find out why, so that it could be corrected.  If the bus leaves on time, it's getting to its destination within 5 minutes of its scheduled arrival time.

The N22A is standing-room only leaving Roosevelt Field during afternoon rush hours, especially if the N22X never shows up (as often happens).  So the N22A often becomes the de-facto express, skipping just about every stop along Hillside Avenue until Jamaica since it's too full to pick up anybody else.  The solution is to make sure the N22X shows up; otherwise you're stranding a lot of passengers at local stops since the N22X passengers are filling up the entire N22A instead.

The reason why N4's arrive at Freeport 20 minutes late is because they take off from Jamaica 20 minutes late, and vice-versa.  This is when there's no traffic at all on Saturdays/Sundays, yet it happens up and down the line all day long.  I've timed the route and it's pretty much a consistent 50-55 minute ride.  It would be crazy to send the N4 from Jamaica to Babylon, but Jamaica to Freeport is an important and busy route.  Many many people ride the entire length of the route to avoid the extremely high LIRR fares.  The solution is to have dispatchers make sure buses leave terminals on time.  And if not, find out why, so that it could be corrected.  If the bus leaves on time, it's getting to its destination within 5 minutes of its scheduled arrival time.

The N22A is standing-room only leaving Roosevelt Field during afternoon rush hours, especially if the N22X never shows up (as often happens).  So the N22A often becomes the de-facto express, skipping just about every stop along Hillside Avenue until Jamaica since it's too full to pick up anybody else.  The solution is to make sure the N22X shows up; otherwise you're stranding a lot of passengers at local stops since the N22X passengers are filling up the entire N22A instead.

Even if there were dispatchers, buses would still be late.

I didn't say our organization. I said Car Free pledgers. I said Nassau County Ed P. Mangano should ride NICE bus for that date only.

Slightly off-topic, there's interesting article for all public transit across state/world..

"Why the People in Charge of Transit Systems Should Be Required to Actually Ride Transit"

Back to NICE Bus and Car Free Day, I think this will be success because 1st car free day it was less traffic congested in Long Island.

Good article on a side note I spotted several NJT board members on trains during my extreme commutes. I am not sure about other NE USA systems though.

The dispatcher could make a spreadsheet of every N4 bus that leaves its terminal late, along with the reason why.  The reason is not traffic.  So it must be something else.  And then the reason can be corrected.  Currently there is no accountability at NICE.

It wouldn't matter. Dispatchers don't need to do that at all. That's also a waste of time.