Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The N19,36,45,54/55 will also be eliminated. Also,the Rockville Ctr. depot will be shut down entirely.

N36, N45 makes sense. But N54/55? Really? If you're going to go that far, things like the N57, N1, and N21 should come first. Also exploring the idea of transferring the N33 to the City of Long Beach.

They supposedly have APC data, so decisions really should be made on a trip and segment basis. But that takes time, and I'm not sure how much scheduling staff they have.

Is it me but the Long Island Transportation network is in a complete disarray. More cuts and less service. I guess it's time to bring back the (MTA). I wonder what the governor has to say about this.

The MTA isn't coming back to run Nassau's bus network for a few million dollars, the county is on its own this time.

It's still the experience that makes it horrible. It takes forever to get anywhere and most of this is because there are only 2-3 buses an hour on all but a few routes.

Sometimes the runs go missing. Like yesterday, I tried taking the n6x to NHP Rd. To get the Lynbrook n25. The n25 showed up 20 minutes late. The other day, there were three n4s missing. The drivers never bother waiting for a late connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Where do people who take the n54/55 come from? Do most of them even ride out east, or are all the people who board the route on HTC mostly living off Jersualem Ave between Hempstead and Levittown? I take the possibility of the n54/55 being eliminated to mean that Westfield Sunrise isn't a massive trip generator anymore.

Edited by NY1635

Some numbers for the original January proposal:

• Hicksville - Wantagh Shuttle: 120 pax/day, $37.69 subsidy per ride.
  • Freeport Shuttle: 35 pax/day, $36.84 subsidy per ride. (2015 n62 - 154 pax/day)
  • Elmont Flexi: 150 pax/day, $24.72 subsidy per ride
  • RVC Shuttle: 50 pax/day, $20.92 subsidy per ride (2015 n14 - 109 pax/day)
  • Mercy Shuttle: 75 pax/day, $13.53 subsidy per ride (2015 n17 - 112 pax/day)
  • n51: 50 pax/day, $12.20 subsidy per ride (2015 n51 - 184 pax/day)
  • n80/81: 525 pax/day, $5.61 subsidy per ride (2015 combined - 592 pax/day)
  • Jericho Quad: 31 pax/day, $14.33 subsidy per ride
  • n6x NCC midday: 130 pax/day, $2.82 subsidy per ride

With Freeport, RVC, Mercy running at similar service levels, those are some severe ridership drops!

I'm honestly not happy that they couldn't pass the January cuts. Think about the possible outcomes now:

• County gives back $6.8m - best case scenario, few cuts needed, ideal but highly unlikely.
  • County gives back $3.8m - the original scenario, but cuts need to be deeper than Jan proposal since implemented later. Staves off the April proposal.
  • County gives back nothing - possible given NIFA situation, etc. Would require April proposal + deeper Jan proposal from the case above. Absolute worst case scenario.
Edited by Amtrak7

I'm more surprised that it took NICE this long to finally get rid of the n24 trips to East Meadow. It should've been the first thing on the chopping block when service cuts were first proposed, or back when they first thought of extending it to Hicksville.

The n35 being reverted back to the n37 can be blamed on the fact that NCC is currently being over served by the n6x.

Seems like the smarter thing to do would have been to implement January cuts that affect few people.  Rather than roll the dice and risk losing.  Then things will be far worse in April: gut many other routes too, such as the highly popular N88 Jones Beach, N35 which is always full the times I take it between Hempstead and RFM, and N45 which always has high ridership on days NCC is in session (the RFM to NCC portion).  I can't see the money magically appearing.

Edited by RtrainBlues

Some numbers for the original January proposal:

• Hicksville - Wantagh Shuttle: 120 pax/day, $37.69 subsidy per ride.
  • Freeport Shuttle: 35 pax/day, $36.84 subsidy per ride. (2015 n62 - 154 pax/day)
  • Elmont Flexi: 150 pax/day, $24.72 subsidy per ride
  • RVC Shuttle: 50 pax/day, $20.92 subsidy per ride (2015 n14 - 109 pax/day)
  • Mercy Shuttle: 75 pax/day, $13.53 subsidy per ride (2015 n17 - 112 pax/day)
  • n51: 50 pax/day, $12.20 subsidy per ride (2015 n51 - 184 pax/day)
  • n80/81: 525 pax/day, $5.61 subsidy per ride (2015 combined - 592 pax/day)
  • Jericho Quad: 31 pax/day, $14.33 subsidy per ride
  • n6x NCC midday: 130 pax/day, $2.82 subsidy per ride

With Freeport, RVC, Mercy running at similar service levels, those are some severe ridership drops!

I'm honestly not happy that they couldn't pass the January cuts. Think about the possible outcomes now:

• County gives back $6.8m - best case scenario, few cuts needed, ideal but highly unlikely.
  • County gives back $3.8m - the original scenario, but cuts need to be deeper than Jan proposal since implemented later. Staves off the April proposal.
  • County gives back nothing - possible given NIFA situation, etc. Would require April proposal + deeper Jan proposal from the case above. Absolute worst case scenario.

What was the n73/74 ridership in 2015?

And yeah, I don't see a point in restoring these services just to cut them a few months later. You destroy the ridership because each time you cut a route, people find alternatives (buying a car, changing jobs, etc)

Seems like the smarter thing to do would have been to implement January cuts that affect few people.  Rather than roll the dice and risk losing.  Then things will be far worse in April: gut many other routes too, such as the highly popular N88 Jones Beach, N35 which is always full the times I take it between Hempstead and RFM, and N45 which always has high ridership on days NCC is in session (the RFM to NCC portion).  I can't see the money magically appearing.

The n88 is too busy for them to cut. It actually makes money. 

What was the n73/74 ridership in 2015?

And yeah, I don't see a point in restoring these services just to cut them a few months later. You destroy the ridership because each time you cut a route, people find alternatives (buying a car, changing jobs, etc)

The n88 is too busy for them to cut. It actually makes money. 

I got the 2015 numbers from last year's service cut presentation, which only provided them for n6, n4, n40/41, n22, n20/21, n31/32, n14, n17, n50, n51, n62, n80, and n81.

Yep, I agree with you. Surprised the n80/81 drop was as small as it is.

From the image in the post above (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114577165@N06/31406339881/) the n88 has a $6.55/rider subsidy.

I'm curious where we go from here. We need to wait for the legislature and NIFA to both approve their budgets, which should be soon, and possibly for the MTA to approve the fare hike, which should be in January. STOA won't be known until the state budget is done, which is in April, way too late. I'm not sure what the board members' arguments for voting no were, but one possible thing was that Setzer said that (A) the January cuts save $1.5M and (B) the MTA's fare hike brings in at most 1M. Those numbers are close enough...

Edited by Amtrak7

The n43 most likely killed the n45's service. All the people living along Uniondale Avenue have more or less accepted the n43 their NCC-Roosevelt Field route. What also helps the n43's case is that is gets more customers along Corporate Drive than the n45 does along Stewart Avenue, plus it's routing to Freeport which give those along Main Street a one seat ride to the Mall without having to take the n40/41 to Hempstead and then xfer for another bus to Roosevelt Field.

With the n35, I'm guessing that they're trying to get more people on the n15 for Roosevelt Field, which uses Clinton Avenue between HTC and RFM, and then let the n6x and n16 handle the NCC crowd.

The n43 most likely killed the n45's service. All the people living along Uniondale Avenue have more or less accepted the n43 their NCC-Roosevelt Field route. What also helps the n43's case is that is gets more customers along Corporate Drive than the n45 does along Stewart Avenue, plus it's routing to Freeport which give those along Main Street a one seat ride to the Mall without having to take the n40/41 to Hempstead and then xfer for another bus to Roosevelt Field.

With the n35, I'm guessing that they're trying to get more people on the n15 for Roosevelt Field, which uses Clinton Avenue between HTC and RFM, and then let the n6x and n16 handle the NCC crowd.

Yeah the n43 is used more because it's more frequent too. The 45 is like every hour. If they do cut the 35, they should have some runs on the 15 run up Clinton. The n6x and n16 is as crowded as it gets during the AM. The 6x pulls into to HTC from Jamaica to let off the crowds just to get crowded again to go to NCC.

Yeah the n43 is used more because it's more frequent too. The 45 is like every hour. If they do cut the 35, they should have some runs on the 15 run up Clinton. The n6x and n16 is as crowded as it gets during the AM. The 6x pulls into to HTC from Jamaica to let off the crowds just to get crowded again to go to NCC.

The n15 already runs up Clinton during off peak hours, it's always a few minutes behind the n35 between HTC and RFM.