Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

It looks like they cut the schedules really tight, with the intention that not all the flexi stops would actually be made (Hopefully the bus will leave the terminal a little late if nobody reserved those Flexi stops, so it doesn't leave early from the following timepoint, especially heading southbound)

I put together the September interlining sheet (upload soon)...and those 2-3 minute turns are ridiculous, even though it's 11%.

Edited by Amtrak7

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's ridership on the RVC shuttle? Can't be much better than the old n14...even with the lower costs of a minibus I don't see how it's more cost effective than say, the n50. Similar route, same service, smaller bus is not going to attract any more riders than before.

Same for the Freeport shuttle, though that hasn't started yet so we don't know the ridership.

The n73 had decent enough ridership that with a smaller bus I think it should be workable. The n80 and n81 should be using the smaller buses on Saturdays, if the n80 is even worth running then.

How's ridership on the RVC shuttle? Can't be much better than the old n14...even with the lower costs of a minibus I don't see how it's more cost effective than say, the n50. Similar route, same service, smaller bus is not going to attract any more riders than before.

Same for the Freeport shuttle, though that hasn't started yet so we don't know the ridership.

The n73 had decent enough ridership that with a smaller bus I think it should be workable. The n80 and n81 should be using the smaller buses on Saturdays, if the n80 is even worth running then.

The particular RVC trip I took about 2 months ago had 4 riders on it. That was the first PM trip from RVC. 

I would have brought back the n50 and the n73 on hourly headways throughout the day, using the funds used to bring back the RVC Shuttle, the Freeport Shuttle, and the n80 (the n73 and n81 could have been interlining partners instead, which is good since it allows for more recovery at Wantagh, and reduces DH times for those trips beginning at Wantagh, which saves more money over time compared to DHing buses out to Sunrise). I find 30 minutes being too excessive for the n73, even if it is during the rush hour.

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

I took 9:00am Hicksville-Wantagh Shuttle out from Hicksville to Wantagh and it was only 3 people including me.

Driver told me that bus driver could make U-turn into parking lot to turn around instead of Wantagh Parkway since it's small bus.

Edited by FamousNYLover

More connections are always good. I miss the B71 used to use it to Parkslope ridership wasn't too high tho.

It was a relatively efficient route because it only required 2 buses, and got more ridership than any of those other routes that are supposed to be serving "growing neighborhoods" (M12, Bx46, B84, B32, the B32 being the highest of the four)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

• 2 weeks later...

How many flexi buses are in the nice bus fleet.And has one seen anyone new xn40s besides the comment about 1937-1938.

I could be wrong, but from what I can tell from from the few photos I've seen here and I think though NICE's Facebook (or somewhere else) I believe they have four or five. I believe the numbering runs from 2291-2295. 

The highest I seen was 2297.Also nice bus is auctioning there buses on auctions international some Orion v cngs foothills and mta Long Island bus/nice bus Orion v''s along with some able ride and maintence trucks just thought I fill u guys in.

After I wrote 2295 I was like 'wait didn't I see one numbered 2297?' but I wasn't 100% sure so I went went with 2295 because I was sure of that. 

So....what exactly is the difference between ADA service and fixed-route service at NICE these days?  That "Flexi" is nothing more than ADA service, made to look like fixed route.  So what's the point of having exact timepoints?

The route runs anyway but can also divert and pick up from the flexi stops if someone calls in advance

The route runs anyway but can also divert and pick up from the flexi stops if someone calls in advance

That's what I thought.  So, essentially, they're removing fixed-route and putting the route(s) into ADA service.  Over at SMART, there's two different operations: fixed-route and Connector (ADA/Shuttle/Flex).  Connector basically works completely by advance reservation.  There's one "route" like those "Flexi"s that has the call/pickup business, with veer-offs.  Thing is, one union represents fixed-route operators and another represents Connector operators -- and they are two separate business identities to boot.

Other thing is, NICE has to separate them for Fed funding purposes, and keep track of usage (JARC and other grants).  Wonder if that's happening?  Or did they think that this band-aid would just work wonders and nothing more is involved?

I'm far more concerned that routes that were formerly SRO after a certain time of day actually have seats available during the rush.  Then again, I see quite a few more breakdowns and buses that are just so off-schedule, they might as well not have started the run.

Yeah, that's how I know there has been a ridership drop. The n6 was actually packed all day long, now one can observe buses with some empty seats and no, or very little standees. The n4 even looks sparse now at times.

Yeah, that's how I know there has been a ridership drop. The n6 was actually packed all day long, now one can observe buses with some empty seats and no, or very little standees. The n4 even looks sparse now at times.

I'm not surprised that the n6 isn't crowded because the route is very frequent nowadays, especially with that extra reverse peak express service during rush hours. Ridership should be the same, it's just that the loads are balanced out.

The only route that probably experience a drop in ridership has to be n21. Without the trips to Flushing it's nothing.