Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

I don't know if this was discussed before, but is it ideal to have the Q100 make all local stops on 21 Street at night (Queens Plaza N/S to 21 Avenue). The following trips would be local on 21 street

Weekdays:

To Rikers Island: 1:55 AM, 2:55 AM, 3:55 AM, 4:55 AM, 5:25 AM

To Queens Plaza: 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM

Saturdays:

To Rikers Island: 1:55 AM, 2:55 AM, 3:55 AM, 4:55 AM

Sundays:
To Rikers Island: 1:55 AM, 2:55 AM, 3:55 AM, 4:55 AM, 5:25 AM, 5:55 AM
To Queens Plaza:1:30 AM, 2:30 AM, 3:30 AM, 4:30 AM, 5:00 AM, 5:30 AM

As a result of the added time, times at Queens Plaza will be adjusted (buses will essentially drop off at Queens Plaza, and immediately go back to Rikers Island)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this was discussed before, but is it ideal to have the Q100 make all local stops on 21 Street at night (Queens Plaza N/S to 21 Avenue). The following trips would be local on 21 street

Weekdays:

Saturdays:

Sundays:

As a result of the added time, times at Queens Plaza will be adjusted (buses will essentially drop off at Queens Plaza, and immediately go back to Rikers Island)

Get out of my head.

Jokes aside, that's the conclusion I've came to with the route - except it would run local all day.... Guess I can't dub it the Baby mamma express no more :D

- 21st would still have LTD service, but I'm still working out a few things on one end of the route; and it's not something anyone would expect.... Still haven't decided on a route number yet either....

- TBH, I wouldn't have all trips during school let-in/let-out hours on the Q100 running to Rikers.... Some would short turn at 19th/Hazen (the Q101 wouldn't end there anymore under my plans)...

The Q69 IMO is overserved & frequently bunches on top of it.... The 100 takes too many riders up off the 69's hands at QBP as it is...

Putting two & two together yields having the Q100 running local & having the bulk of 21st st riders from QBP pile onto it...

Weekdays:

Saturdays:

Sundays:

I've been saying this for the longest...the Q100 would run local when the Q69 isn't running...kinda like the 114 running local when the 113 isn't running

I had that same thought as well. My plan is a little different than every else's. I would have have the Q100 become a new Q69 LTD and have ever other trip serve Rikers Island. I think the Riker Island part is overserved in my opinion because the jail has visiting hours and plus I see that bus going empty across the bridge a lot. I think some correction officer use it if they park in the parking lot but other than that I think having a bus running to the island every 20-30 minutes is fine. And at night I would have the Q69 run local.

Get out of my head.

Jokes aside, that's the conclusion I've came to with the route - except it would run local all day.... Guess I can't dub it the Baby mamma express no more :D

- 21st would still have LTD service, but I'm still working out a few things on one end of the route; and it's not something anyone would expect.... Still haven't decided on a route number yet either....

- TBH, I wouldn't have all trips during school let-in/let-out hours on the Q100 running to Rikers.... Some would short turn at 19th/Hazen (the Q101 wouldn't end there anymore under my plans)...

The Q69 IMO is overserved & frequently bunches on top of it.... The 100 takes too many riders up off the 69's hands at QBP as it is...

Putting two & two together yields having the Q100 running local & having the bulk of 21st st riders from QBP pile onto it...

I've been saying this for the longest...the Q100 would run local when the Q69 isn't running...kinda like the 114 running local when the 113 isn't running

I had that same thought as well. My plan is a little different than every else's. I would have have the Q100 become a new Q69 LTD and have ever other trip serve Rikers Island. I think the Riker Island part is overserved in my opinion because the jail has visiting hours and plus I see that bus going empty across the bridge a lot. I think some correction officer use it if they park in the parking lot but other than that I think having a bus running to the island every 20-30 minutes is fine. And at night I would have the Q69 run local.

The reason I thought that was because 21 street had no local service, and I think there should be local service over limited only service on that corridor (some of the stops are really far spaced out on 21 street at night). It would be a similar concept to the Q113/Q114 (the only thing different would be the times). And if buses are not so full all the time, sure every other bus as a short-turn could be short-turned. It would still allowed for some fairly frequent service to run to/from Rikers Island. I remember that the Q100 (when it was the Q101R) had a different schedule on different day (I don't remember the exact order; but it wasn't weekday/Saturday/Sunday). And lol at Baby Mama Express....

If the Q101 were to not Terminate at Hazen, where would the new terminal be. I'll agree that Hazen is not the best of terminals (not because the Q100 runs there, but because there's really nothing up there; the Q100 can deal with Hazen alone. An alternative proposal could be to have the Q101 run into Rikers Island, and have the Q100 terminate outside, but I'm not too sure about it; I have mixed opinions. On an unrelated note, I wonder how the Q100 terminal looks in the north. I've personally never taken the Q100 all the way to the end to Rikers Island. 

As for the Q100 being completely local I guess it'll work. However, I'm curious as to what the new 21 Street Limited route would be, because there are certain possibilities for a new route of sorts. And I'm guessing that the Q69 would still run local as well (although at a different frequency), or would you change that as to the Q100 being the only local service (with a branched service, similar to that of the Q11). 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I proposed a procedure for the QM4 (does not change routing) in Manhattan.

Basically, the QM4 would originate at all times at 164 Street, and at 3 Avenue , the bus would layover for 5 minutes, then go on it's outbound routing again. It would be similar to the QM15 procedure in Manhattan, and would not significantly change the pick up schedule in Manhattan.

On Weekdays, the 9 AM- 11PM buses would leave, arrive at 34 Street at approximately :40, and depart at :45 minutes , arrive 6 Avenue and 36 Street at :50 (which is when the outbound buses are slated to leave), and then would be given approximately 5 minutes extra in manhattan (No way is 10 minutes from 6 Avenue/36 Street to 3 Avenue/57 Street accurate for such trips. The 9 AM- 8 PM trips from 164 Street would receive that increase in runtime. There would still be a 20 minute layover (15 on the Queens side, and 5 on the Manhattan side). This is done to reduce the amount of buses needed for the QM4 throughout the day.

On Weekends, service would follow the same schedule, with a new schedule

Buses would leave from 7:05 AM-11:05 PM on Saturdays to Manhattan, arrive 3 Avenue at :45, depart 3 Avenue at :50. The 7:05 AM buses however, would run as the current schedule is given, since it would just DH to Queens, for the next trip; the 9:10 AM trip. I would probably route the QM4 (weekends) on the LIE, since it isn't so much of a problem on the weekends (besides the 4-5 PM period), so that it would save time (possibly around 7-8 minutes on the non-stop portion). There would still be 14 minute layover on the Queens side at the very least, with the most being those earlier trip (whopping 40 minutes). 

On Weekdays and Weekends, you'd only need 2 buses at a time. 

The QM2/5/6 can interline between themselves and can remain doing what they do in Manhattan, since their routes are signifcantly longer. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I'm thinking of a new Q86 route running parallel to the Q76 from Jamaica to 26 Avenue, then running via the Throgs neck Bridge, then via the Bx40 to Westchester Sq. It would have a similar frequency as the Q76 and would help out the Q76 a bit. Thoughts?

The Q76 does not need help at all, nor does the Throggs Neck Bridge need a bus running over it. The Q76 can handle Francis Lewis Blvd by itself.

I'm thinking of a new Q86 route running parallel to the Q76 from Jamaica to 26 Avenue, then running via the Throgs neck Bridge, then via the Bx40 to Westchester Sq. It would have a similar frequency as the Q76 and would help out the Q76 a bit. Thoughts?

The best way to "help out the Q76" would be to simply add Q76 service. The primary purpose of your Q86 should be to provide a link from Jamaica to Westchester Square (for which there may or may not be a demand).

What is making you think the Q76 needs help exactly??

QM2/5/QM6 Schedule Changes:

Saturdays (Outbound): 

I don't know about you, but the QM2/QM5 does not need 25 minutes from 6/36 all the way to 57 Street/3 Avenue at 12:00 AM. If the buses at 9/10 AM are given 8 minutes, I'd say the QM2/QM5 would get the decrease in runtime from 10 PM to 12 AM. The 8 AND 9 PM trips would get 15 minutes. The 7 PM trip would get 20 minutes, and at most, 25 minutes is needed to 57 Street/3 Avenue in the afternoon (not 27). The 3 PM trip would get an increase in runtime from 17 to 20 minutes, on the other hand.

The QM6 also will have a decrease in runtime.

The 8:30 PM QM6 would have 15 minutes of runtime, the 9:30 PM trip would get 12 minutes of runtime from both points. The other two trips after would get 10 minutes of runtime (compared to 25 minutes, such an inaccurate runtime). I've always seen for the most part, those buses getting ahead of schedule during those hours because the schedule is extremely lenient. 

Inbound buses would get no more than 15 minutes on Sundays, and 10 minutes only after 7 PM. Same thing applies on Saturdays, although with a different approach, runtime will be every 15 minutes after 7 PM, and then at 9 PM, be every 10 minutes.

The money saved with this shortening of runtime will go towards increasing runtime during the weekday, which are tight as can be. During rush hour on weekdays, those buses are given only 10 minutes, while a 12:00 AM trip on a Saturday gets 25 minutes? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. 

QM2/5/QM6 Schedule Changes:

Saturdays (Outbound): 

I don't know about you, but the QM2/QM5 does not need 25 minutes from 6/36 all the way to 57 Street/3 Avenue at 12:00 AM. If the buses at 9/10 AM are given 8 minutes, I'd say the QM2/QM5 would get the decrease in runtime from 10 PM to 12 AM. The 8 AND 9 PM trips would get 15 minutes. The 7 PM trip would get 20 minutes, and at most, 25 minutes is needed to 57 Street/3 Avenue in the afternoon (not 27). The 3 PM trip would get an increase in runtime from 17 to 20 minutes, on the other hand.

The QM6 also will have a decrease in runtime.

The 8:30 PM QM6 would have 15 minutes of runtime, the 9:30 PM trip would get 12 minutes of runtime from both points. The other two trips after would get 10 minutes of runtime (compared to 25 minutes, such an inaccurate runtime). I've always seen for the most part, those buses getting ahead of schedule during those hours because the schedule is extremely lenient. 

Inbound buses would get no more than 15 minutes on Sundays, and 10 minutes only after 7 PM. Same thing applies on Saturdays, although with a different approach, runtime will be every 15 minutes after 7 PM, and then at 9 PM, be every 10 minutes.

The money saved with this shortening of runtime will go towards increasing runtime during the weekday, which are tight as can be. During rush hour on weekdays, those buses are given only 10 minutes, while a 12:00 AM trip on a Saturday gets 25 minutes? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. 

It's especially annoying on Saturdays when I take the QM2 to go shopping since I want to get my stuff and then get back to the QM2 and get back to the city and transfer to the BxM1 or BxM2 and get the hell out of the city and head back to Riverdale.  The bus is ALWAYS freaking late especially in the evening Saturday nights going towards Bay Terrace.  Traffic is generally only bad on 6th during the holidays (say from Thanksgiving through the New Year) on weekends, otherwise it's not that bad that the QM2 needs that much time. Same deal with the QM5 and QM6.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

After reading this I have a thought. I'm thinking of the TV show called "The SLAP!"

• 4 weeks later...

QM10/QM12- Revampment of Bus Routes in Queens (New service/catchment areas)

The QM10 serves primarily North Rego Park and LeFrak City, during rush hours and during the shoulder periods on weekdays. The QM12 runs between Forest Hills and Midtown during the same periods. This new proposal would alter significantly the travel path in Queens, and stops.

The first part of this proposal is to reroute the QM10 from the seemingly inefficient LeFrak City Loop, in which ridership seemingly dwindles afterwards, and if persists, to a point where more cuts will be made. This proposal addresses previous complaints from Maspeth and Elmhurst residents and their concern for not having express bus service in those areas. The nearest express bus is the QM24/QM25, which are usually distances of more than one mile to get to from these areas. Express bus service in these area would allow to ease the burden of the Q58/Q59 and other routes in the area, as well as intiating a new area which had no transit service, besides long walk to the subway or the local bus. Maspeth, Elmhurst, and Ridgewood are expected to utilize this service, because of their availability to afford the fare.

The QM10 will now start on 108 Street and 63 Road, and continue on its current route until 57 Avenue/ Queens Blvd. It will then serve 57 Avenue, and then turn on 74 Street, to then utilize the Queens Midtown Tunnel Service Road, and then utilize the service road, and pick up until 61 Street/63 Street, then get on the LIE Main Road, and run express to Manhattan.

PM Buses will have a new route too. The QM10, after leaving Manhattan, would run non-stop until 61 Street, then make stops via the Queens Midtown Tunnel Service Road until 74 Street, and then turn on 74 Street, and turn onto 57 Avenue. Afterward, the bus route will turn onto the Queens Blvd service Road South, and now utilize the Horace Harding Expwy service road instead of 63 Road. This bus will make stops at 98 Street/ HHE, and Yellowstone Blvd/ 62 Road. It will make its final stop at 108 Street/ 62 Drive. Service past that point is available until Junction Blvd on request. 

The QM12 will also have a new added stop at Hoffman Drive/ Woodhaven Blvd in the morning only. In the PM, buses will now utilize 63 Road instead of the Horace Harding Expwy Service Road. 

The QM10 service change is expected to lessen Deadhead distance and costs, however, the costs will be neutralized or would have a low cost because of the addition of new Maspeth and Elmhurst Stops. The QM12 change is expected to decrease costs, because of slightly less runtime, but may be neutralized by the added runtime on the QM10.  Overall, the change would be somewhere around cost-neutral. QM10 and QM12 times will not change. Hours of operation will not be affected, nor will the QM11.

For stops on the QM10/QM12 that are added, and for the new routing, here's the link:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z7P2QilxQnLY.kBIJgWACek4c

New QM10 schedule (AM)

6 Avenue

108 Street        Elmhurst                    Maspeth             Maspeth          34 Street/           6 Avenue/        57 Street/

& 63 Road       57 Ave/Seabury        Borden/Grand     63 Street           3 Avenue           44 Street         3 Avenue

6:30                      6:42                          6:51                       6:53                  7:08                  7:17                    7:27

7:00                      7:12                          7:21                       7:23                  7:38                  7:47                    7:57

7:30                      7:42                          7:51                       7:53                  8:08                  8:17                    8:27

8:00                      8:12                          8:21                       8:23                  8:38                  8:47                    8:57

8:30                      8:42                          8:51                       8:53                  9:08                  9:17                    9:27

9:00                      9:12                          9:21                       9:23                  9:37                  9:46                    9:56

10:00                   10:12                        10:21                     10:23                10:37                10:46                   10:56

3 Avenue

108 Street        Elmhurst                    Maspeth             Maspeth          37 Street/           3 Avenue/        55 Street/

& 63 Road       57 Ave/Seabury        Borden/Grand     63 Street           3 Avenue           44 Street         3 Avenue

7:00                      7:12                          7:21                       7:23                  7:37                  7:38                    7:43

7:30                      7:42                          7:51                       7:53                  8:07                  8:09                    8:14

8:00                      8:12                          8:21                       8:23                  8:37                  8:39                    8:44

8:30                      8:42                          8:51                       8:53                  9:07                  9:09                    9:14

9:00                      9:12                          9:21                       9:23                  9:36                  9:38                    9:43

34 Street or 38/3 Avenue        55/3     57/3           Maspeth/61       Queens Blvd/Woodhaven        108 Street

3:45                                                     4:04             4:24

4:00                                        4:07                          4:28

4:15                                                     4:34             4:54

4:30                                        4:37                          4:58

4:45                                                     5:04             5:24

5:00                                        5:07                          5:28

5:15                                                     5:34             5:54

5:30                                        5:37                          5:58

5:45                                                     6:04             6:24

6:00                                       6:07                           6:28

6:15                                                     6:34             6:54

6:30                                       6:37                          6:58

6:45                                                     7:04             7:23

7:00                                       7:07                            7:27

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• 4 weeks later...

I would create the new Q45 Q45 LTD, since that does not exist on current Queens routes. This new route would prove service between South Ozone Park and Cambria Heights. This route would go through Linden Blvd. (LTD stops only)

• Terminal - Rockaway Blvd & 109 St ------- Transfer Q7. Note: After Q45 drop the last passengers, it will turn right on 108 St, then left on 109th Ave, left again on 107th St and final left on Rockaway Blvd.
  • First Stop - Rockaway Blvd & 107th St LTD ----- Transfer Q7
  • Rockaway Blvd & 109 St ----- Transfer Q7
  • Rockaway Blvd & 113 St LTD ----- Transfer Q7 Q37
  • Linden Blvd & 116th St
  • Linden Blvd & Lefferts Blvd LTD ---- Transfer Q10
  • Linden Blvd & 121st
  • Linden Blvd & 124th St
  • Linden Blvd & 127th St LTD
  • Linden Blvd & 130th St
  • Linden Blvd & 133rd St
  • Linden Blvd & Lincoln St LTD ---- Transfer Q9
  • Linden Blvd & Van Wyck Expy ---- Transfer X63
  • Linden Blvd & 142nd St LTD ---- Transfer Q40
  • Linden Blvd & Inwood St
  • Linden Blvd & 148th St
  • Linden Blvd & Sutphin Blvd LTD ---- Transfer Q6 QM21 X63
  • Linden Blvd & 157th St
  • Linden Blvd & 159th St
  • Linden Blvd & Guy R. Brewer LTD ---- Transfer Q111 Q113/Q114 LTD
  • Linden Blvd & 165th St
  • Linden Blvd & 168th St
  • Linden Blvd & 172nd St LTD ---- Transfer Q4 Q4 LTD(Linden Blvd/Merrick Blvd Q5 Q5 LTD Q84
  • Linden Blvd & 174th St                                                                                            Q85 Q85 LTD)
  • Linden Blvd & 175th Pl
  • Linden Blvd & 177th St
  • Linden Blvd & 178th St LTD
  • Linden Blvd & 180th St
  • Linden Blvd & Everitt Pl
  • Linden Blvd & Farmers Blvd LTD ---- Transfer Q3 X64
  • Linden Blvd & 192nd St
  • Linden Blvd & 195th St
  • Linden Blvd & 201st St
  • Linden Blvd & 202nd St
  • Linden Blvd & Francis Lewis Blvd LTD ---- Transfer Q77
  • Linden Blvd & Springfield Blvd LTD ---- Transfer Q27 Q27 LTD
  • Linden Blvd & 219th St
  • Linden Blvd & 222nd St
  • Linden Blvd & 225th St LTD
  • Linden Blvd & 230th St
  • Linden Blvd & 233th St
  • Linden Blvd & 235th St LTD --- Terminal
Edited by Q113 LTD

I would create the new Q45 Q45 LTD, since that does not exist on current Queens routes. This new route would prove service between South Ozone Park and Cambria Heights. This route would go through Linden Blvd. (LTD stops only)

The idea of a "Linden Blvd Crosstown" is interesting, but I would move the western terminal to Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd (for transfers to/from the (A)  and Q11/Q21/Q52/Q53) and maybe add a stop at Resort World. Also, I'm not sure it would be busy enough at first to warrant a Limited variant. 

Then again, does your new route need to run all the way out on Linden to 235th? Maybe send it up to QCC ("Linden-Springfield Crosstown"?) so it can serve a major activity center and relieve pressure on the Q27.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about a way to get a Merrick Blvd SBS into a reality (although we know it won't be) I tried a revamped Q86 idea out, stopping at:

Jamaica Center

Liberty(nb)/104 Avenue(sb)

109 Avenue

Linden Boulevard

Baisley Blvd

130 Rd(sb)/Farmers Blvd(nb)

Springfield Boulevard

Francis Lewis Blvd

Brookville Boulevard

137 Avenue

S./N. Conduit Avenue

248 Street

255 Street

147 Avenue

148 Avenue

This isn't the best idea out there obviously, as the Q86 completely replaces the Q5 LTD. I would make this simple and make it just a Q5 SBS, but I'm not sure if the Q5 SBS should really run, as the Q5 LTD does not serve Nassau and the Q5 has that odd pattern during late nights and weekends. I may be exaggerating a bit on this route, but that's what I always do when I have my ideas.

So is the Q86 SBS or the Q5 SBS a better idea. If you prefer the Q5, should anything be changed on the route?

I'm thinking about a way to get a Merrick Blvd SBS into a reality....

If you prefer the Q5, should anything be changed on the route?

Instead of SBS, what Merrick Blvd really needs is for the existing Limiteds to work better. My thought is to have Q4/Q5/Q85 Limiteds make all local stops outside the main corridor (south of Merrick/Baisley or east of Merrick/Linden), then run non-stop to Archer/165th for bus transfers, then non-stop to Parsons for subway transfers. The running time savings can then be invested in ramping up local Q5 service to help out the local stops.

• 3 weeks later...

I propose a Q23 extension to LaGuardia Airport. What do you think?

There is a code for the Q23 that says LaGuardia Airport because in the past there have been several proposals made that extended the Q23 to LGA. However it hasn't been extended and that is most likely because the Airport would delay the Q23 and then the Q48 would be useless.

If that happened I could see the Q23 running down Ditmars Blvd and 31 drive to Astoria Blvd. then run down Astoria Blvd to 101 and 102nd streets.

The Q19 would basically turn down 108th street to Roosevelt and follow the Q48 route to Flushing.

But like I said before the only reason why you don't see a Q23 to LGA is because the Q23 will be delayed due to airport traffic but that may cause several Forest Hills Queens Blvd short turns. Forest Hills residents won't allow it to happen.