LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

B35 I've gotta agree with your assessment of the Babylon Branch. I went to school in Brownsville in the late '50s and my school was 75% Jewish until the fourth grade. I remember when a classmate stood up and told us that he was moving to Long Island and he wouldn't have to ride the subway anymore because he was going to ride the LIRR instead . It spawned an argument and my teacher let me make the rebuttal. I pointed out that the LIRR was only one stop away on the Canarsie line and that we could see LIRR freight trains on the Bay Ridge line daily from our classroom windows .I also pointed out that he was moving to another part of Long Island, not to the Island, because our whole class was born on Long Island IN BROOKLYN. I ran into him and his grandkids at a Wendy's on Sunrise Highway a few years ago and he said that the first few years were okay but when he hit his teens and then his twenties he realized the " City " was the place to be. Said he spent more time in NYC than he did in the sticks ( his word ). He told his grandkids about our debate and he remembered when I told our class that Lynbrook was named by people who couldn't get over leaving Brooklyn so they just rearranged the letters . Funny part is that his kids want to move to the city to save on their commutation costs. What goes around...... . Carry on.

You have the LI-ers that moved from the city to get away from the negative elements of the city, into what they thought they were going to get from the average suburban area.... Nassau/Suffolk is not your average suburban area; Nassau is trying to be Great Neck & an extension of Queens at the same time... Suffolk is trying to be some sort of weird extension of Nassau county, to a lesser extent (cant really explain it).... But neither of which is working.

I neeevveeerrrr wanted to move to Nassau or Suffolk; I tend to favor Central NJ (and still do).... Too much keeping up w/ the Jones' in Nassau, and far too much of Suffolk county is just plain old ordinary Boring.... I'm not surprised in the slightest that plenty L.I-ers spend more time in "the city", than they do in their own areas of residence... I'll go one further & say that these same people take little pride in being a resident of w/e town/village/etc. they reside in......

...and then there's those that are in denial that make like LI is the greatest thing since sliced bread; the ones that have never left "the island" in all their 40, 50, 60+ years of life... To this day, you STILL have Islander fans bitching about *bring the Islanders back to the island*..... For all I care, they should have stayed in that dump (talking about the nassau coliseum) rooting for that sorry ass franchise, with their miserable NYC hating asses .... I'm looking at sports with a serious side eye these days, but none of "our" teams (meaning, NY) are worth much of a shit, as far as winning goes....

Get this....There are actually people that live in Nassau/Suffolk that commute to work (via the LIRR), go back home & change clothes or w/e.... Then meet up at some central spot (usually some RR station) to go BACK to "the city" & party or whatever.... Get drunk & loaded; get that mischief up out their system whilst in the city, so they can live their pseudo, I'm a pillar of the community asses whilst in suburbia, then head BACK to said suburbia....

Rinse.... Wash.... Repeat.

I find it hilarious that these millennials (the offspring of the older LI-ers) have gotten good jobs, have realized that what their parents used to (and still do) for a good time (see paragraph above) is flat out bullshit.... Cut out the middle man by doing all that damn back & forth, and just reside in the city itself..... Even find it more hilarious that you have the revitalizations of Farmingdale & Wyandanch, and the plans of revitalizing Ronkonkoma, Brentwood, and Syosset, as last ditch efforts to keep millennials (and other LI-ers that are contemplating & planning on leaving), from leaving.....

Those developers are wasting their time.... And if part of the vision is to lure non LI-ers (including NYC patrons) in hopes of siphoning money from them.... LMMFAO! I say, good f***in luck......

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn it, when is that interlocking between Fordham and Botanical Garden going to be finished? These Bronx skips every time there's even a minor problem on the Harlem and New Haven get on my nerves.

At least on the Hudson you can bail at Yankee Stadium or Spuyten Duyvil if there's a problem in the Bronx, but on the Harlem or New Haven you gotta go to Mount Vernon or Harlem and backtrack from there.

You have the LI-ers that moved from the city to get away from the negative elements of the city, into what they thought they were going to get from the average suburban area.... Nassau/Suffolk is not your average suburban area; Nassau is trying to be Great Neck & an extension of Queens at the same time... Suffolk is trying to be some sort of weird extension of Nassau county, to a lesser extent (cant really explain it).... But neither of which is working.

I neeevveeerrrr wanted to move to Nassau or Suffolk; I tend to favor Central NJ (and still do).... Too much keeping up w/ the Jones' in Nassau, and far too much of Suffolk county is just plain old ordinary Boring.... I'm not surprised in the slightest that plenty L.I-ers spend more time in "the city", than they do in their own areas of residence... I'll go one further & say that these same people take little pride in being a resident of w/e town/village/etc. they reside in......

...and then there's those that are in denial that make like LI is the greatest thing since sliced bread; the ones that have never left "the island" in all their 40, 50, 60+ years of life... To this day, you STILL have Islander fans bitching about *bring the Islanders back to the island*..... For all I care, they should have stayed in that dump (talking about the nassau coliseum) rooting for that sorry ass franchise, with their miserable NYC hating asses .... I'm looking at sports with a serious side eye these days, but none of "our" teams (meaning, NY) are worth much of a shit, as far as winning goes....

Get this....There are actually people that live in Nassau/Suffolk that commute to work (via the LIRR), go back home & change clothes or w/e.... Then meet up at some central spot (usually some RR station) to go BACK to "the city" & party or whatever.... Get drunk & loaded; get that mischief up out their system whilst in the city, so they can live their pseudo, I'm a pillar of the community asses whilst in suburbia, then head BACK to said suburbia....

Rinse.... Wash.... Repeat.

I find it hilarious that these millennials (the offspring of the older LI-ers) have gotten good jobs, have realized that what their parents used to (and still do) for a good time (see paragraph above) is flat out bullshit.... Cut out the middle man by doing all that damn back & forth, and just reside in the city itself..... Even find it more hilarious that you have the revitalizations of Farmingdale & Wyandanch, and the plans of revitalizing Ronkonkoma, Brentwood, and Syosset, as last ditch efforts to keep millennials (and other LI-ers that are contemplating & planning on leaving), from leaving.....

Those developers are wasting their time.... And if part of the vision is to lure non LI-ers (including NYC patrons) in hopes of siphoning money from them.... LMMFAO! I say, good f***in luck......

Agreed. LI is a mess in that regard. The worst part is that Long Island refuses to change other than a few cosmetic changes, so the ball just keeps rolling downhill.

Take Stony Brook for example. It's a pretty big school, and colleges of that size are large employers who generally anchor college towns or neighborhoods (Ithaca, New Haven, and Binghamton come to mind), but what's around Stony Brook? Jack s***. But you can't build any additional development around it to serve the college, because the neighbors want that Long Island suburban feel; never mind that the university was established before their houses were built, or that most of them are directly or indirectly employed by the school if they live so close to it. So instead of having a lot of young people boost commercial activity around the school, everyone on campus goes to the city for the weekend because there's nothing to do.

That being said, depending on who you talk to those millenials might move back (or at least to different suburbs) when they get older, simply because of the state of the city's schools and how only a small portion of the new units across the city are family sized.

Edited by bobtehpanda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why are the electronic displays on the bilevel LIRR cars disabled?

yeah I never understood why

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Has anyone heard anything about the m9 yet? I feel like news about the cars have kind of been non existent for a while.

The Montauk Branch was/is suspended because an oversized truck hit a bridge

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/lirr-partial-service-suspension-on-montauk-branch-1.13411960

From the MTA:

Montauk Branch Customers
Suspended  Posted: 04/10/2017 11:18AM 

Service remains suspended in both directions between Montauk and East Hampton due to a vehicle striking a LIRR bridge near East Hampton Station. Buses are accommodating customers in place of trains. LIRR crews are on scene near East Hampton to make necessary repairs.

Eastbound:

• The 8:52AM train from Babylon due Montauk at 10:52AM will be canceled upon arrival at East Hampton Station due to a vehicle striking a LIRR bridge near the station. Customers will be accommodated by bus service.

Westbound:

• The 11:18AM train from Montauk due Jamaica at 2:19PM will originate out of East Hampton today due to a vehicle striking a LIRR bridge near East Hampton Station. Buses are accommodating customers in place of trains from Montauk and Amagansett stations.

http://www.mta.info/status/LIRR/Montauk/24864016

The monthly MNRR passes could get any uglier.  They picked this odd purple color and the ticket collectors can't see to read them to save their lives.  The February one was ugly as well, but at least the print could be seen from a distance. Now they have to hover over you to see them.  I also wouldn't ever consider using this as a regular Metrocard.  The paper stock for this particular pass is atrocious.  So flimsy looking.

The monthly MNRR passes could get any uglier. They picked this odd purple color and the ticket collectors can't see to read them to save their lives. The February one was ugly as well, but at least the print could be seen from a distance. Now they have to hover over you to see them. I also wouldn't ever consider using this as a regular Metrocard. The paper stock for this particular pass is atrocious. So flimsy looking.

Yeah the paper would wear off in short period of continued use. Especially, with the fareboxes on the buses they sort of peel the plastic MetroCard.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wait if your conductor doesn't check tickets, does that mean you got a free ride? I'm new to the whole LIRR system. Also, what are the craziest conductor related experiences you've had or things you've witnesses because I saw a fare-beater today. I'm curious to how the conductors work.

Wait if your conductor doesn't check tickets, does that mean you got a free ride? I'm new to the whole LIRR system. Also, what are the craziest conductor related experiences you've had or things you've witnesses because I saw a fare-beater today. I'm curious to how the conductors work.

If you have a monthly... No. If you have an e-Tix and you don't activate it on your phone... Yes. If you buy singles... Yes.

Tickets are valid until they have holes in them. People could farebeat by even having a ticket... By buying a shorter zone and cheaper fare and getting off at a later zone. As long as the conductor don't find out no problem. That's why I wanted POP asap.

Tickets are valid until they have holes in them. People could farebeat by even having a ticket... By buying a shorter zone and cheaper fare and getting off at a later zone. As long as the conductor don't find out no problem. That's why I wanted POP asap.

There's no fare beating unless the person doesn't have a ticket when asked to produce one.  If the conductor doesn't check tickets, well that's not my problem.  I've seen some people even wait to give the conductor the ticket.  You either check while I'm sitting down or I'm off of the train and on my way.  For what they charge they should give a freebie anyway.  $9.25 on MNRR peak from GCT to Riverdale, and $8.00 peak to go from Grand Central to Harlem-125th street.  If you buy three peak tickets, that's the cost of my lunch delivery right there for the day or a trip to Whole Foods.  Just putting things into perspective in that you can treat yourself to some great food for that price.

If you have a monthly... No. If you have an e-Tix and you don't activate it on your phone... Yes. If you buy singles... Yes.

Ten trips too...

I think of all the times I've been on MN, my ticket was uncollected only 2 or 3 times. Once from Fordham to GCT, and one time from Rye to Fordham. I think there was another time I went from Fordham to New Rochelle and my ticket wasn't collected either, but that was many years ago so my memory's kinda fuzzy on that one.

Ten trips too...

I think of all the times I've been on MN, my ticket was uncollected only 2 or 3 times. Once from Fordham to GCT, and one time from Rye to Fordham. I think there was another time I went from Fordham to New Rochelle and my ticket wasn't collected either, but that was many years ago so my memory's kinda fuzzy on that one.

Forgot about those since I never use them.  I either buy singles (usually peak), or a weekly or monthly.  Speaking of singles, I have one unused one that I wasn't collected.  Will try to use it before it expires.

I find that on the LIRR they are cracking down on this recently, I've been on the train from Lynbrook to Freeport and to Long Beach they always stroll through and check.

What happens if you get on a train and don't have a ticket or cash or card on you. Do conductors usually let you ride for free?

They give you an invoice in which you have to send a payment.

Edited by N4 Via Merrick Rd

I find that on the LIRR they are cracking down on this recently, I've been on the train from Lynbrook to Freeport and to Long Beach they always stroll through and check.

They give you an invoice in which you have to send a payment.

I think they also reserve the right to call the cops...

I hear Amtrak has its moments also on the NEC, but based on what I hear they just tell you to get off at the next stop before they actually call the cops. I don't think the crews play that if you tried hopping on a long distance train though. (e.g.: Lake Shore LTD, Silver Service)

What happens if you get on a train and don't have a ticket or cash or card on you. Do conductors usually let you ride for free?

First they try to sell you a ticket (fare plus 5-7 dollars more on board surcharge). If you pay everything all well. If not they give you a form saying the price (fare plus 5-7 dollars) to pay at a later date) with ID. No ID get booted at next stop. If you decided to make a scene the police will be at next station