LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Apparently on the New Haven line 1555 doesn’t actually start at State Street. They send 1514 back from State Street in service (10:41) to connect with 1555.

Kinda like how a very late (D) train would do Bedford-205-Bedford and how it wrong rails from Bedford Park to 205, skips the relay and picks up southbound riders and comes right back to Bedford to terminate, except Metro-North does a pseudo-equipment swap (kinda like an airplane turn) instead of a crew swap like the subways do.

Neat little trick to keep the OTP up 👍 

Edited by paulrivera

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/13/2019 at 10:47 PM, paulrivera said:

Apparently on the New Haven line 1555 doesn’t actually start at State Street. They send 1514 back from State Street in service (10:41) to connect with 1555.

Kinda like how a very late (D) train would do Bedford-205-Bedford and how it wrong rails from Bedford Park to 205, skips the relay and picks up southbound riders and comes right back to Bedford to terminate, except Metro-North does a pseudo-equipment swap (kinda like an airplane turn) instead of a crew swap like the subways do.

Neat little trick to keep the OTP up 👍 

Why for this specific trip?

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Why for this specific trip?

The turnaround time between 1514 and 1555 is too short, plus a crew change is required. Any little delay on top of the time needed to do the crew change *plus* hastily board everyone in New Haven Union would mess up quite a bit of the operation.

Makes more sense for the crew that’s laying over the get a different train, and for the inbound crew to keep their train for their layover while the passengers have more time to board the train at Union (it’s a pretty big transfer terminal with people coming in on Amtrak/buses/cars.) Plus it helps that State Street would only have a few people to board and transfer over.

Edited by paulrivera

I really don't understand why LIRR riders get so mad when an M3 shows up on their runs. If you check twitter and some Pinepower Youtube videos LIRR commuters HATE the M3s. Railfan biases aside, just speaking as an commuter I don't see how the M7's are much better in rider comfort, the 7's ride like crap and make squeaky noises, I like the M7s as a railfan,  but as a regular commuter they just seem to be average at best, to me they ride worst than ALL of NJT commuter rail equipment. I can see why an NJT commuter would prefer the MLV cars over the Arrows but there is very little, if any jump in comfort from the M3 to the M7 IMO.

Edited by trainfan22

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I really don't understand why LIRR riders get so mad when an M3 shows up on their runs. If you check twitter and some Pinepower Youtube videos LIRR commuters HATE the M3s. Railfan biases aside, just speaking as an commuter I don't see how the M7's are much better in rider comfort, the 7's ride like crap and make squeaky noises, I like the M7s as a railfan,  but as a regular commuter they just seem to be average at best, to me they ride worst than ALL of NJT commuter rail equipment. I can see why an NJT commuter would prefer the MLV cars over the Arrows but there is very little, if any jump in comfort from the M3 to the M7 IMO.

What! I love the M7s much better than the M3s. Headrests, something to hold on to while in the bathroom.

9 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The LIRR M3’s look like they’re being held together with duct tape. They don’t look to be well taken care of at all.

Metro-North takes care of their M3’s better, but even then I would never use a M3 bathroom on either railroad.

Here are the renderings for the new entrance at Penn.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/PennStation051619.pdf

Let's look at this one:

47841938172_c24421d9fd_o.jpgPennStation051619 (dragged)-page-001 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Wait, does something look wrong? Let's zoom in:

47104723414_4110eb8aee_o.pngUntitled by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Something still doesn't look quite right. Let's look further:

47104723624_37e2b31527_o.pngUntitled 2 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Trains running from Penn Station to Atlantic Terminal. I have seen everything.

28 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Here are the renderings for the new entrance at Penn.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/PennStation051619.pdf

Let's look at this one:

47841938172_c24421d9fd_o.jpgPennStation051619 (dragged)-page-001 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Wait, does something look wrong? Let's zoom in:

47104723414_4110eb8aee_o.pngUntitled by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Something still doesn't look quite right. Let's look further:

47104723624_37e2b31527_o.pngUntitled 2 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

I know right, I'd like to see how they pull that off....

On 5/20/2019 at 5:10 PM, Union Tpke said:

Actually, there are trains that run from Penn Station to Atlantic Terminal, and have done so for about 100 years.

They are the (2) and (3) trains.

I do wonder how they get to track 21 at Penn... Maybe they’re going to open a new track connection stirthepot.gif

ny-cuomo.jpg

6 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Actually, there are trains that run from Penn Station to Atlantic Terminal, and have done so for about 100 years.

They are the (2) and (3) trains.

I do wonder how they get to track 21 at Penn... Maybe they’re going to open a new track connection stirthepot.gif

ny-cuomo.jpg

Maybe the folks at Columbia and Cornell can figure something out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...