LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Thank @paulrivera! I might get round-trip tickets from the TVMs in the city, considering the cell service up there might be sketchy.

You only need cell service to purchase the tickets.  Buy a round trip while you are in the city.  Activate one at a time as you use each.  You do not need cell service to activate the tickets.  

As far as detraining at Manitou, on weekends, you detrain between the south two cars (usually).

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, Italianstallion said:

Not so common nowadays, but it used to be that infrequently used stops were often designated as "flag stops." This meant that if you were waiting for a train, you had to make sure the incoming engineer saw you on the platform by standing and waving, or some such action, so he'd know to stop for you. If he didn't see anyone on the platform he would not stop. Similarly, if you wanted to get off at a flag stop, you had to make sure to tell the conductor so he'd alert the engineer.

Engineers approach these stations at reduced speeds?

3 hours ago, brakethrow said:

Depends, some places where a Block Operator/Station Staff was stationed they could signal the crew. But if necessary you'd have to slow down. There are still some 'flag stops' for employees generally the line of sight is good enough that you can just react in the rare instance someone is there.

12 hours ago, brakethrow said:

Currently there are no flag stops on MNR territory.  On the weekends there are 1:09, 3:09, and 4:09 southward trains that stop at Breakneck Ridge.  In between those times, there are two trains that do not stop.  Those trains go MAS (80MPH) through the area and WILL NOT stop.

9 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

Depends, some places where a Block Operator/Station Staff was stationed they could signal the crew. But if necessary you'd have to slow down. There are still some 'flag stops' for employees generally the line of sight is good enough that you can just react in the rare instance someone is there.

The MNR employee stops (Mott Haven and High Bridge) are scheduled stops in the employee time table.  

It really simmers me that I have to shell out $6 for an LIRR ticket every time there’s a 1 hour gap in Jamaica-bound Q114 service in Five Towns every time I leave work at 7 PM. They should just cross-honor this useless Unlimited Rides MetroCard.

1 hour ago, Axis said:

It really simmers me that I have to shell out $6 for an LIRR ticket every time there’s a 1 hour gap in Jamaica-bound Q114 service in Five Towns every time I leave work at 7 PM. They should just cross-honor this useless Unlimited Rides MetroCard.

Couldn't you take the (A) (if you are going to Manhattan)?

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Why tf are the only two direct Penn-Port Jefferson trains leaving before 5pm? 4:19pm and 4:49pm is way too early for direct service. Should make the 4:19pm a 5:25pm departure. 

Without getting too into it, it's cheaper that way. That said 6:58, the earlier train is actually very well patronized. The 2nd however is too close and would probably do better as a 5:40 but thing$ have to remain balanced.

I like how relaxed the LIRR is when it comes to engineers not having to wear uniform. I've seen engineers dressed as if they could be in a biker gang at the controls. Compared to other railroads where it seems like a polo tee and blue jeans is the most relaxed fit engineers can wear. 

Not a sarcastic comment btw, one of the handful of reasons that has gained my interest in the LIRR lately. 

49 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Metro-North TVM’s are getting a bit of an upgrade I see:

image2.jpg

Metro-North is becoming very mobile-payment friendly (I sure like using my phone to get a quick snack and a Coke on the platform without fumbling for change lol) and we’ll also have OMNY before you know it.

It has been several months since I have used a Metro-North ticket machine. In fact, I took a semi-express train home tonight. I have the e-tix app on my phone and my iPad in case I lose juice or forget one device. Very convenient and quick, not to mention no waste of paper, which I esp. like. I also don't have to worry about the conductor saying that he can't read my ticket. My iPad is big enough that you can clearly see all pertinent information without even coming right over to me. They just walk down the aisle look and keep on going. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

15 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Metro-North TVM’s are getting a bit of an upgrade I see:

image2.jpg

Metro-North is becoming very mobile-payment friendly (I sure like using my phone to get a quick snack and a Coke on the platform without fumbling for change lol) and we’ll also have OMNY before you know it.

"No Debit Cards Accepted At This Machine"

......why?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 7:46 PM, Joel Up Front said:

Maybe it's me, but I WILL go  out of my way to get a paper ticket.  I like putting it in my wallet and just giving it to the collector/conductor.  I sure wouldn't trust my phone with something as vital as a Monthly or hundreds of dollars.

Same... Except I used to get the weekly pass, where I'd just show it to them, instead of being bothered with any exchanges....

3 hours ago, EphraimB said:

How long did it use to take for the lirr to get from Inwood to Penn Station through the Rockaway Beach Branch?

No clue.

Edited by B35 via Church

On 10/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, EphraimB said:

How long did it use to take for the lirr to get from Inwood to Penn Station through the Rockaway Beach Branch?

Same amount of time it would take the (A) to travel between Penn Station, or Downtown Brooklyn via the Rockaways.  All the LIRR does make stops in Nassau, and skip unnecessary stops in Queens like Hollis, Laurelton, or St. Albans

3 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

Same amount of time it would take the (A) to travel between Penn Station, or Downtown Brooklyn via the Rockaways.  All the LIRR does make stops in Nassau, and skip unnecessary stops in Queens like Hollis, Laurelton, or St. Albans

I thought the mta made the Rockaway beach branch to decrease travel times.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, EphraimB said:

I thought the mta made the Rockaway beach branch to decrease travel times.

The Far Rockaway Branch is mostly for 5 Towns, Gibson, and Valley Stream Residents. The Travel Time is already roughly a hour into the city via LIRR, it's not going to get any shorter unless the LIRR starts doing Super Expresses similar to the Ronk. or Babylon Lines.

HELP

I left my bag on the 5:43 local Hudson Line train from Grand Central to Greystone on Tuesday. I boarded the train at GCT and got off at Riverdale. Its a black Food Network bag. Does anyone know how I could possibly get it back?

(I already put in an inquiry for Metro North Lost and Found a couple days ago)