LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

On 5/24/2019 at 7:35 AM, Union Tpke said:

I put it in the wrong image.

47871701771_ee7e21b03f_o.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-17 at 8.05.31 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

I've been taking the New Haven line on MNRR this past week and I've been shocked by the amount of trackside garbage and left-over construction debris across the line, and in the tunnels out of GCT. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've been taking the New Haven line on MNRR this past week and I've been shocked by the amount of trackside garbage and left-over construction debris across the line, and in the tunnels out of GCT. 

I wonder if that toy wagon is still there trackside around New Rochelle...

• 2 weeks later...

There needs to be a free crosshonoring system on the Far Rockaway LIRR Branch between Jamaica & Five Towns at all times. There’s like nothing else mass transit to take that actually exists to go to/from Five Towns.

Edited by Axis

3 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I need to commute from far Rockaway to Brooklyn by train to get to my psychiatrist appointment. The problem is that it will thunderstorm today. The commute includes a 20 minute walk to the train station. What do I do?

Have someone drive you to the train station, or take a bus, or, finally, walk with an umbrella.

Edited by P3F

3 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I need to commute from far Rockaway to Brooklyn by train to get to my psychiatrist appointment. The problem is that it will thunderstorm today. The commute includes a 20 minute walk to the train station. What do I do?

Buy an umbrella and take a bus or an Uber.... <_<

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Out of NYC, maybe? I was wondering if I could see MNR AND freight trains

Freight trains run on the Hudson line but IDK an specific time of when a freight will show up on the Hudson.

Bound Brook on NJT raitian valley line is the best spot for fanning freights in the NYC area.. not my video below but it's an example of what to expect there..

Edited by trainfan22

12 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Out of NYC, maybe? I was wondering if I could see MNR AND freight trains

Yeah as was noted 125th is about as good as it gets and Fordham, though Fordham isn't quiet. The Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil stations in my neighborhood are quiet and you can see the Amtrak trains.

23 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Does anybody know any EASILY ACCESSIBLE places to railfan within 1.5 hours of NYC that have RELATIVELY FREQUENT service? MNR, LIRR, Amtrak, freight, I'm fine with all! :)

As others have said, Woodside, Forest Hills is a good place. Mineola is popular, Valley Stream as well.

During rush hour Babylon can be interesting.

51 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

As others have said, Woodside, Forest Hills is a good place. Mineola is popular, Valley Stream as well.

During rush hour Babylon can be interesting.

That island platform at Woodside is quite the experience during rush hour. Trains all around you going every which way.

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Can you buy LIRR tickets with a Pay-per-Ride MetroCard? 

Instead of taking the subway I want to take the LIRR but still use the funds I've added onto my MetroCard. 

That'd be interesting, but MetroCards are hardly relevant to the railroads in any capacity. (Basically, unless your ticket comes with one in some form or there's cross-honoring, the MetroCard is meaningless.)

Does anyone know the procedure for boarding/deboarding the Hudson Line trains at Manitou? I am probably going to go up there this weekend (for a hike nearby)! Also, is there any special procedure for buying tickets there? I plan to use MTA eTix.

1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Does anyone know the procedure for boarding/deboarding the Hudson Line trains at Manitou? I am probably going to go up there this weekend (for a hike nearby)! Also, is there any special procedure for buying tickets there? I plan to use MTA eTix.

Also, is there a specific car we need to board in?

Does the train always stop at Manitou, or do you have to flag it down? - I will be catching one of the afternoon trains back to NYC

2 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

35 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Also, is there a specific car we need to board in?

Does the train always stop at Manitou, or do you have to flag it down? - I will be catching one of the afternoon trains back to NYC

Leaving NYC, the first five trains to Poughkeepsie (6:45 hourly until 10:45 from GCT) all stop in Manitou. Coming back, there's a 1:24 return then hourly from 3:24 until 7:28, with no flagging down needed. 99.999% of Metro-North engineers know to stop at Manitou at those times on the weekends.

If you're in the wrong car, the conductor will typically let you know what car you need to be for Manitou as they check your ticket. eTix shouldn't be a problem in and of itself, but check the cell service when you get there just in case.

2 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Leaving NYC, the first five trains to Poughkeepsie (6:45 hourly until 10:45 from GCT) all stop in Manitou. Coming back, there's a 1:24 return then hourly from 3:24 until 7:28, with no flagging down needed. 99.999% of Metro-North engineers know to stop at Manitou at those times on the weekends.

If you're in the wrong car, the conductor will typically let you know what car you need to be for Manitou as they check your ticket. eTix shouldn't be a problem in and of itself, but check the cell service when you get there just in case.

what does flagging down mean?

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

Thank @paulrivera! I might get round-trip tickets from the TVMs in the city, considering the cell service up there might be sketchy.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:41 PM, EphraimB said:

what does flagging down mean?

Not so common nowadays, but it used to be that infrequently used stops were often designated as "flag stops." This meant that if you were waiting for a train, you had to make sure the incoming engineer saw you on the platform by standing and waving, or some such action, so he'd know to stop for you. If he didn't see anyone on the platform he would not stop. Similarly, if you wanted to get off at a flag stop, you had to make sure to tell the conductor so he'd alert the engineer.