Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

Lex is a clusterf..k again...

Downtown (4) and (5) trains delayed because of a stalled (4) train at Brooklyn Bridge. Can't even turn (4) and (5) trains at Brooklyn Bridge because the train in question is blocking the switches.

I'm in my way home from this chick house in the Bronx and the (4) train I was on got held at Grand Central. They told us to take the (6) so I was like screw it, I'll take the (J) home. We get to Union Sq and there's a (5) train there out of service about 2 cars out the station. We go further down the line and there was another (5) train waiting right outside Canal St and the people in there looked pissed. We get to Brooklyn Bridge and the problem (4) train is there 3 cars into the station.

Operating motor is 7755

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lex is a clusterf..k again...

Downtown (4) and (5) trains delayed because of a stalled (4) train at Brooklyn Bridge. Can't even turn (4) and (5) trains at Brooklyn Bridge because the train in question is blocking the switches.

I'm in my way home from this chick house in the Bronx and the (4) train I was on got held at Grand Central. They told us to take the (6) so I was like screw it, I'll take the (J) home. We get to Union Sq and there's a (5) train there out of service about 2 cars out the station. We go further down the line and there was another (5) train waiting right outside Canal St and the people in there looked pissed. We get to Brooklyn Bridge and the problem (4) train is there 3 cars into the station.

Operating motor is 7755

[principals voice]

Screechy...Explain yourself! :P:lol:

(A) (probably (C), possibly (E)) ran via Rutgers Street in both directions (I saw an (A) local but then 2 (A) expresses). I was on a SB (A) local and we were sitting between 23rd street and 14th street for about 10 mins, and then the reroute got cancelled.

Also saw empty (C) train n/b at 34th street on the express track.

Service Change  Posted: 03/15/2014  5:03PM 

Due to a train with mechanical problems at Van Siclen Av, northbound j.png will terminate at Crescent St.   

Allow additional travel time.

Does that even make sense?  Van Siclen Av is "South" of Crescent St.

Broad St is considered railroad north, Jamaica Center is south. It got flipped when the (M) started running from Continental (north) to Metropolitan (south) and the Broad to Court connection stopped being used for revenue service.

(A) (probably (C), possibly (E)) ran via Rutgers Street in both directions (I saw an (A) local but then 2 (A) expresses). I was on a SB (A) local and we were sitting between 23rd street and 14th street for about 10 mins, and then the reroute got cancelled.

Also saw empty (C) train n/b at 34th street on the express track.

Go read the random thoughts thread and you'll see that (A)(C)(E) trains ended up in the least likely of places today!

Broad St is considered railroad north, Jamaica Center is south. It got flipped when the (M) started running from Continental (north) to Metropolitan (south) and the Broad to Court connection stopped being used for revenue service.

What I saw in practice is that the (J) stayed the same, so that trains heading the same direction between Myrtle and Essex are actually railroad opposite in direction. I think I still hear the (J)'s addressed the same way.

Never heard of them changing it, though it would be understandable.

Service Change Posted: 03/18/2014 3:15PM

Due to a train with mechanical problems at Canal St,

Some northbound(N) terminate at Whitehall St, 36 St (Bklyn) or Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr

Some northbound (Q) terminate at Court St.

Are they opening montague to let some trains through?

Go read the random thoughts thread and you'll see that (A)(C)(E) trains ended up in the least likely of places today!

In that case they should say "Manhattan bound (J) " trains.

Delays  Posted: 03/18/2014  5:50PM 

Due to NYPD activity at Wall St, the following service changes are in effect:

Some southbound 2.png trains are via 5.png line from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Nevins St

Some southbound 2.png and 3.png trains terminate at Times Sq-42 St.

Some southbound 3.png trains are local from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr to Crown Hts-Utica Av.

Some northbound(N) terminate at Whitehall St, 36 St (Bklyn) or Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr

They probably meant Court St. Hopefully.

J1 (odd=southbound) is the Jamaica-bound track and J2 (even=northbound) is the Manhattan-bound track - it's always been that way - but the J itself is still considered to have its north terminal at Jamaica Center and its south terminal at Broad Street. Only the M was flipped, leading to the unusual situation of southbound J trains and northbound M trains operating on the same track in the same direction from Myrtle to Essex!

This seems like a simple error in translation - there was a blockage on J2, which was erroneously translated to "northbound J."

Without tracks or signals? Somehow I doubt it.

J1 (odd=southbound) is the Jamaica-bound track and J2 (even=northbound) is the Manhattan-bound track - it's always been that way - but the J itself is still considered to have its north terminal at Jamaica Center and its south terminal at Broad Street. Only the M was flipped, leading to the unusual situation of southbound J trains and northbound M trains operating on the same track in the same direction from Myrtle to Essex!

This seems like a simple error in translation - there was a blockage on J2, which was erroneously translated to "northbound J."

Without tracks or signals? Somehow I doubt it.

If there are no tracks or signals then it was Probobaly en error.

Due to a car on the tracks between Church Av and Beverley Rd, southbound (Q) trains are running express from Prospect Park to Kings Hwy.

Do they mean a subway car or a real car from the street get down there?

If there are no tracks or signals then it was Probobaly en error.

Due to a car on the tracks between Church Av and Beverley Rd, southbound (Q) trains are running express from Prospect Park to Kings Hwy.

Do they mean a subway car or a real car from the street get down there?

An SUV, likely traveling east on Albemarle Road (the only east-west street that dead-ends at the tracks until after Foster Avenue, due south) crashed through the fence at East 16 Street, flipped over, and ended up on top of a Q train.

Not the first time this happened. It happened on Glenwood Rd back in '90 or '91. There, the cut is deeper so it was all the way down, but it didn't come into contact with the train, however. (I lived over there at the time, and went to look, then had to go all the way over to the 2 to get to work. Forgot why I didn't go the other way to the F).

Service Change Posted: 03/19/2014 2:57PM

Due to a train with mechanical problems at 238 St:

There is no (1) train service in both directions between 215 St and Van Cortlandt Park-242 St.

Some northbound (1) trains terminate at 137 St-City College.

As an alternate, customers can take the BX9, BX7 or BX20 buses.

Sounds like this is more than just a stalled train.

Edited by Abba

Something about no (A) and (C) trains b/w Jay Street and Broadway Junction this morning?

Also saw an uptown (A) local again, packed. Maybe sent local because of lack of trains?

Yes. Hell, I was waiting at Utica to get to school after getting off the B46 bus. The Far Rockaway-bound (A) local came in, almost packed. Damn. The train finally became less crowded when I got off at Euclid to get to school.

Yeah, the put-ins out of Pitkin this morning weren't getting to Manhattan for some reason, so the (A) 's on the Manhattan side were going local back uptown until those first S/B (C) 's could get to Jay and back. I swear, some customers act like riding their express train for local stops is the end of the world for them.

Wow another big issue

This is a story on the mta home page.

(1) Suspended Between 137th St - City College and 96th St

Due to a rail condition near 137th St - City College, there is no (1) service in both directions between 137th St - City College and 96th St. Customers are advised to use the (A) or (C) train service to stations between 59th St - Columbus Circle and 168th St. Free Shuttle buses are available between 137th St and 96th St.

Crews are on scene assessing the rail condition. Monitor Service Status on this page for the latest service information.

Edited by Abba

Something about no (A) and (C) trains b/w Jay Street and Broadway Junction this morning?

Also saw an uptown (A) local again, packed. Maybe sent local because of lack of trains?

Yes. Hell, I was waiting at Utica to get to school after getting off the B46 bus. The Far Rockaway-bound (A) local came in, almost packed. Damn. The train finally became less crowded when I got off at Euclid to get to school.

Yeah, the put-ins out of Pitkin this morning weren't getting to Manhattan for some reason, so the (A) 's on the Manhattan side were going local back uptown until those first S/B (C) 's could get to Jay and back. I swear, some customers act like riding their express train for local stops is the end of the world for them.

Did the track work run late?

Service Change

Posted: 03/20/2014 6:24PM

Due to train with mechanical problems at Lexington Av-53 St:

Jamaica-bound (E) trains are running on the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av.

71 Av-bound (M) trains are running on the (F) line from 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr to 36 St (Queens).

And it's in the middle of the rush hour.