Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, R42N said:

Hold on. I understand that the cars can’t fit there, I said I have no worries of running the (B) there, as there won’t be any instances where it’ll have to go there in a pinch. 

And why would it be “unwise” to run em on the (A), if that’s exactly where some of them are running right now? 

Personally, I’d like to see them on the Rockaway (S) with a few sets remaining on the (C) , like there always has been (even in the summer). If you want to throw them on the (G) , go ahead. 

If you have no where to put them that needs them, just retire them, or throw 20 on the Rockaway Shuttle, and you’ll free 2 sets of R46’s, which is useful. 

You (and others) may not have any worries about R32's running on the B line but NYCT certainly does.  I have explained in the past why there will be no R32's EVER AGAIN on the B and I will have to explain it again.

Any route in the southern division that goes thru DeKalb Ave. has a chance to be rerouted thru the Montague Tube.  If there is a police action on the Manhattan Bridge (and it HAS happened) all trains already enroute must go thru the Montague Tube.  If an R32 B train from Brighton Beach has already left Prospect Park, bound for 7th Ave., Atlantic/Barclays, or DeKalb what happens now?  Please don't tell me turn it between Metro Tech and Court St. because the one route to Manhattan (via Montague) must be kept moving.  Those trains will be jammed and they can't delay things any further by dealing with an R32 B train.

The only reason the so called railfans want R32's on the B is for photo opportunities on the Brighton Line.  Pure and simple.  Period.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Use the South side via Broadway to 96 St, and reroute (N) and (Q)s via Montague if necessary. I'm pretty sure Brighton and the (R) could handle a few delays to make this happen. And don't say it can't because delays happen every single day. Did anyone literally die because of a delay?

You guys make it sound like the entire Manhattan Bridge will be closed down. We're past that time. Unless it's an absolute emergency, the R32s on the (B) will be just fine.

Please see above my previous post for reply why R32's cannot work on the B.  Let them stay where they are!.

We are NOT past the time of any police activity (person threatening to jump off the bridge) to have all tracks on the Manhattan Bridge closed down, especially in these days of enhanced security.  

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, P3F said:

To answer the Manhattan Bridge question from above, I believe at one point somebody said that the switch near Lawrence Street could be used to turn the train back.

And I said that this is an idea transit will not go along with.  With 2 out of 3 ways to Manhattan out in the event of a police action on the bridge, we cannot delay matters even more by discharging a train onto an already overcrowded platform and turning it at the switch you stated.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, R42N said:

Yep, no harm in throwing them on the (G) . The (G) never really gets too crowded, and is more of a controled line. Some of the R68’s on the (G) could be used on other lines. 

No R32's on the G please.  Now or when the L closes and the G is ramped up.  The G is virtually all underground and we all know (or do we?) that R32's have air conditioning problems when they are underground.  

If you put R32's on the G today, they all have to be swapped out on weekends and holidays for OPTO service.  Doing this increases labor costs, generates overtime, which NYCT does not want to pay when there is an alternative: by leaving the G alone!

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

Assuming that about 100 R32s will be left if the R179s stick to schedule (this is a dream world), I would assign 16 cars to the RPK (S) (3 with a backup at RPK yard),  82 to the (G)  (8-car sets), and possibly keep a Phase I set for the NYTM (if not, I would assign it to the RPK shuttle). I would still keep 40 R68s (8-car now) on the (G) , which will lead to a frequency of 15 TPH and increase capacity. Extra 68s can be sent to the (A)  and (B) for increased service. RPK R46s could go to the (R) to increase frequency.

R32's will not go to the Rock Park shuttle because the line is OPTO.  Adding conductors increases labor costs.

10 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

It immediately becomes a downtown (Q) at 96th. Today it was R160's 8488-9492/9937-9933.

Exactly what I told you guys yesterday.  It's all about getting an extra s/b Q train to leave 96/2 in the rush.  NYCT announced some months ago this would happen.  It was discussed on social media.  All of a sudden everybody forgot when it was about to happen!  There is lead time because new schedules have to go thru channels, then the crews have to pick the jobs.

Now who saw that train back on the R for the PM rush?

7 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

R32's will not go to the Rock Park shuttle because the line is OPTO.  Adding conductors increases labor costs.

This is all well and good, but where do you propose putting the R32s? Also if the (G) goes to 8 cars, won’t it not be OPTO anyway? 

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

It could be because Greenpoint was rebuilt in the same way as Montague.

No it wasn't.  The G tube was closed for 2 or 3 months, the R over a year.  The Montague was completely rebuilt.  There is no R32 restriction in the Greenpoint Tube.  A garbage train with R32 horses goes thru it during the day and overnight.

6 minutes ago, RR503 said:

This is all well and good, but where do you propose putting the R32s? Also if the (G) goes to 8 cars, won’t it not be OPTO anyway? 

Transit will decide where the R32's go in the future based on what other cars are available when the Canarsie Tube closes.  The way it's going with R179 deliveries, the R32's can stay exactly where they are now.

When the Canarsie Tube closes, transit will have no choice but to suspend weekend and holiday OPTO G operation.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

29 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Transit will decide where the R32's go in the future based on what other cars are available when the Canarsie Tube closes.  The way it's going with R179 deliveries, the R32's can stay exactly where they are now.

When the Canarsie Tube closes, transit will have no choice but to suspend weekend and holiday OPTO G operation.

Bill, I respect your position and all, but do you have to be so nasty about suggestions that are made? No one forgot about the SAS (R) , and you certainly weren’t the first and only voice that was talking about this. 

The R32 problem is starting to become a process of elimination. Certain factors eliminate possibilities, so members on the forum are trying to see where they can fit, and your responses of no, no, no; and not adding another thoughts other than “Transit will decide” is demoralizing to members trying to have what the forum strives to do, have a “discussion”. Not to mention the sarcastic remarks questioning peoples intelligence like “or do we?”

Take a look at Bill’s posts, and you’ll see him responding to thoughts with “Most of this recent discussion is ridiculous.”, “ I have explained in the past why there will be no R32’s EVER AGAIN on the B and I will have to explain it again.”, “So much for your reliable sources!”, "The purpose of all this?  Just for entertainment for a bunch of BUFFS.  Yes, BUFFS, not railfans.  The froth for these worn out poor performing R32's is simply nauseating.  This idea is for YOUR ENTERTAINMENT only.  A buff is a foamer.  A railfan is somebody who thinks things out as it pertains to the entire railroad.”, All on the First Page of his posts.

And now, since this is NY Transit Forums, the mods will come yelling at me saying that I should respect Bill. 

Sure, some of the ideas proposed have flaws, that you did point out well, like OPTO and the air conditioning issue, but, as I said, it’s process of elimination at this point, and there is every chance that each members thought could be considered. 

Again, I know you have spent a lot of time with NYCT, but as have others, and to the members that haven’t, their thoughts should not be shot down. Maybe the personalities on here don’t align with the type of people I deal with, but if anyone shot down an idea with a complete bombardment of negativity, the would be dismissed from my company immediately. No need to take a power trip on a forum meant for DISCUSSION. 

Edited by R42N

9 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Please see above my previous post for reply why R32's cannot work on the B.  Let them stay where they are!.

We are NOT past the time of any police activity (person threatening to jump off the bridge) to have all tracks on the Manhattan Bridge closed down, especially in these days of enhanced security.  

I know its possibly never gonna happened...But Let say they did closed the manhattan bridge for whatever reason..Whats the odds of all these B train clogging service...Why cant they turn a few if not a couple of sets back at jay st if it got that far..most likely train that didnt leave brighton will be suspended..The way delays been going on lately how long would it really take a motorman to the other end to clear track from bklyn bound trains...And the overcrowed thing you do have the (F) upstairs for 6 ave as well as (A) (C) for cpw...

6 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

I know its possibly never gonna happened...But Let say they did closed the manhattan bridge for whatever reason..Whats the odds of all these B train clogging service...Why cant they turn a few if not a couple of sets back at jay st if it got that far..most likely train that didnt leave brighton will be suspended..The way delays been going on lately how long would it really take a motorman to the other end to clear track from bklyn bound trains...And the overcrowed thing you do have the (F) upstairs for 6 ave as well as (A) (C) for cpw...

9 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You (and others) may not have any worries about R32's running on the B line but NYCT certainly does.  I have explained in the past why there will be no R32's EVER AGAIN on the B and I will have to explain it again.

Any route in the southern division that goes thru DeKalb Ave. has a chance to be rerouted thru the Montague Tube.  If there is a police action on the Manhattan Bridge (and it HAS happened) all trains already enroute must go thru the Montague Tube.  If an R32 B train from Brighton Beach has already left Prospect Park, bound for 7th Ave., Atlantic/Barclays, or DeKalb what happens now?  Please don't tell me turn it between Metro Tech and Court St. because the one route to Manhattan (via Montague) must be kept moving.  Those trains will be jammed and they can't delay things any further by dealing with an R32 B train.

The only reason the so called railfans want R32's on the B is for photo opportunities on the Brighton Line.  Pure and simple.  Period.

well, unless the R179 order is complete then we'll just have to figure something out with the R32's (assuming that there will be about 100 left)  such as .... IDK,    overhauling them one more time or leaving them on the (J) , the (C) (i know for a fact) won't be able to handle the R32's much longer (by the time the (L) train shutdown comes around, the (C) will be all NTT) 

Come to think of it, unless we overhaul them once more there's really no place to put the R32's. Unless the MTA decides to make their GRAND FINALE run on the (Q) since it the R32's first ran on that line.

Just now, D to 96 St said:

They won't be staying on the (J)  When the 179s come in, they are meant to displace the 32s to other lines rather than the (A)(C)(J)(Z) .

That reason is why all these railfans keep bugging about 32s on the (B)

As for this grand finale run... IT SHOULD HAPPEN ON ANOTHER LINE cuz theyre definitely banned from the (Q) .  

well lets see

(A) - needs relief (IDK) :mellow:

(B) - "under debate" 

(C) - not feasable

(D) - ?????

(E)(F)(G) - I know for a fact they're banned

(J)(Z) - won't help during the shutdown

(L) - CBTC so automatically BANNED

(N)(Q)(R)(W) - BANNED

(M) - ?????? Riders would throw tantrums

I still suggest to overhaul the remaining R32's

Friendly reminder:

First and foremost, this thread is primarily for the discussion pertaining to the Second Avenue Subway, not the movement of cars from one line to another. Please take all irrelevant discussion to the appropriate threads. Secondly, if you are quoting multiple posts, please use the multi-quote function. Finally, please respect everyone's input and advise here. While the same points may be brought up fairly often, there are always those who are unaware of the reasons why certain lines run as they do or cannot run as suggested. Patience is always advised for all of our members, even when it seems trying to repeat oneself all the time. This applies to all of our members here.

Thank you for your cooperation.

42 minutes ago, Lance said:

Friendly reminder:

First and foremost, this thread is primarily for the discussion pertaining to the Second Avenue Subway, not the movement of cars from one line to another. Please take all irrelevant discussion to the appropriate threads. Secondly, if you are quoting multiple posts, please use the multi-quote function. Finally, please respect everyone's input and advise here. While the same points may be brought up fairly often, there are always those who are unaware of the reasons why certain lines run as they do or cannot run as suggested. Patience is always advised for all of our members, even when it seems trying to repeat oneself all the time. This applies to all of our members here.

Apologies for goingoff topic.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Friendly reminder:

As an aside, the normal quote function used to just append to your previous post if the time difference wasn't too great. What happened to that?

10 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

I get accused by R42N of being nasty but stuff I write is completely ignored.  I addressed your point already.

You claim ".......never gonna happened......" but it has and will happen again.  I know transits' line of thinking thanks to my 34 years of working there, on all shifts in the course of my career.  On rare occasions the bridge does close for police activity. Transit must be prepared for that rare eventuality and they are.  If the bridge gets knocked out, 2 of 3 ways to Manhattan from DeKalb are knocked out.  The one remaining route to Manhattan must be kept moving.  Any R32 B train north of Prospect Park being turned at Jay St. will stop everything.  It takes time to turn a train.  The crew has to walk the train making sure everybody is off.  There are always some passengers who don't hear announcements due to a language barrier, ear buds, or just not listening.  Then there are hard heads who want a personal explanation.  This delays the train just getting into the relay position.  Once there, the t/o is not going to run thru the train after he secures the cab.  He has his gear to carry.  He has to open each storm door carefully and completely while changing ends so it is done safely.  By the time he crosses the switches to the other track (no more than 10 MPH, trains are really backed up more than ever.   This is why you don't turn trains at Jay/Court Streets.

8 hours ago, Lance said:

Friendly reminder:

I know that message primarily pertains to me and I understand.  

There are many here who DON'T WANT TO HEAR why certain equipment is assigned to certain lines.  I'll explain why and because at times posters can't even take the time to read the same page where the answer is on, somebody else will ask the same question again!

R42N researched many of my past posts and picked out snippets where I did some tough love.  Fine.  But there are some very unworkable ideas presented here.  I get sarcastic when I present facts and my facts are challenged in subsequent posts!  There are so many ideas presented here, but believe me, transit either tried them or thought about them.  we have some pretty smart people, but they don't post here!