Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

14 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Some issue arises on the Manhattan bridge, causing it to be closed to traffic. A northbound (B) train is between Prospect Park and Dekalb. Where do you send it? 

Use the South side via Broadway to 96 St, and reroute (N) and (Q)s via Montague if necessary. I'm pretty sure Brighton and the (R) could handle a few delays to make this happen. And don't say it can't because delays happen every single day. Did anyone literally die because of a delay?

You guys make it sound like the entire Manhattan Bridge will be closed down. We're past that time. Unless it's an absolute emergency, the R32s on the (B) will be just fine.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Use the South side via Broadway to 96 St, and reroute (N) and (Q)s via Montague if necessary. I'm pretty sure Brighton and the (R) could handle a few delays to make this happen. And don't say it can't because delays happen every single day. Did anyone literally die because of a delay?

You guys make it sound like the entire Manhattan Bridge will be closed down. We're past that time. Unless it's an absolute emergency, the R32s on the (B) will be just fine.

There has been a few incidents though when the Bridge was shutdown (I'm speaking of this year and last year). 

Also you have to look at the chances of sick passenger at Dekalb Avenue where there has been a few times when they would have to send the (B) Train via Whitehall.

11 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Imagine a car crash on the lower level roadway, or some NYPD investigation, or a fire, or an electrical outage. Or, hell, just normal Dekalb ave north switch problems. Any of those could shut both sides of the bridge. 

Edit: Daniel beat me to it!

Edited by RR503

1 minute ago, P3F said:

To answer the Manhattan Bridge question from above, I believe at one point somebody said that the switch near Lawrence Street could be used to turn the train back.

Yeah, but in the pinch of rush hour, they’d rater run the train up Montague. I really think you shouldn’t inconvenience yourself over a once-in-a-year issue. But, what’s the harm of putting them on the (G) instead? That quiets the critics..... 

4 minutes ago, P3F said:

To answer the Manhattan Bridge question from above, I believe at one point somebody said that the switch near Lawrence Street could be used to turn the train back.

This too. Even with the accidents I failed to point out, you could still manage to split service between Manhattan and Brooklyn and also can still manage a few reroutes 

6 minutes ago, R42N said:

Yeah, but in the pinch of rush hour, they’d rater run the train up Montague. I really think you shouldn’t inconvenience yourself over a once-in-a-year issue. 

A lot can change between now and then, especially since the R179s keep on delaying theirselves.

Let's see what happens between now and the R211s before we can even speculate what the R32s will do and will not do.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

A lot can change between now and then, especially since the R179s keep on delaying theirselves.

Let's see what happens between now and the R211s before we can even speculate what the R32s will do and will not do.

Exactly. For all we know, the R211’s could beat the R179.

20 minutes ago, D to 96 St said:

That switch could be used. Most (B)s get stuck south of Prospect Park. But only 1-2 (B)s will be north of Prospect Park, and the (W) already uses Whitehall at full capacity. So you still have to turn it at Lawrence St, as turning at let's say- 57 St, 34 St, will still cause delays. It won't be that much just to turn 1-2 (B) trains around. 

It takes about 4 minutes to fumingate, reverse, and recharge a train, then another to move it through the switch into the clear. Given that in a Manhattan Bridge closure situation you'd probably have at least a few trains from the (N)(Q)(R)(B) and (D) sharing Montague, you couldn't spare those 5 minutes. It'd make the situation all the more terrible. 

As R42N said, let these cars die in peace on the (G) 

Edited by RR503

6 minutes ago, RR503 said:

It takes about 4 minutes to fumingate, reverse, and recharge a train, then another to move it through the switch into the clear. Given that in a Manhattan Bridge closure situation you'd probably have at least a few trains from the (N)(Q)(R)(B) and (D) sharing Montague, you couldn't spare those 5 minutes. It'd make the situation all the more terrible. 

As R42N said, let these cars die in peace on the (G) 

Yep, no harm in throwing them on the (G) . The (G) never really gets too crowded, and is more of a controled line. Some of the R68’s on the (G) could be used on other lines. 

Assuming that about 100 R32s will be left if the R179s stick to schedule (this is a dream world), I would assign 16 cars to the RPK (S) (3 with a backup at RPK yard),  82 to the (G)  (8-car sets), and possibly keep a Phase I set for the NYTM (if not, I would assign it to the RPK shuttle). I would still keep 40 R68s (8-car now) on the (G) , which will lead to a frequency of 15 TPH and increase capacity. Extra 68s can be sent to the (A)  and (B) for increased service. RPK R46s could go to the (R) to increase frequency.

Edited by R68OnBroadway

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

Whether or not you have concerns about Montague is inconsequential. The unsubjective reality is that the cars can't fit in there. 

Having R32s -- the system's most unreliable car type -- run on its longest line is just unwise. The havoc those cars could wreak on the flow of traffic scares me. I can almost guarantee 'trains with mechanical problems' every rush hour, causing delays that are sure to cascade across the B division. 

I ask you all once again: why can't we let these cars die in peace on the (G) or the shuttles? Seems like too much trouble to put them on busy, long, merge filled lines. 

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

@RR503's thinking of the Logistics of running a Railroad. You have to understand your assets and how to optimize what you have. That's the correct way of approaching things.  That's how you move a City of millions.

7 hours ago, R42N said:

Yep, no harm in throwing them on the (G) . The (G) never really gets too crowded, and is more of a controled line. Some of the R68’s on the (G) could be used on other lines. 

For now:

What happens in 2019 when the (L) shutdown happens and the (G) gets pressed into MUCH heavier use?

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

For now:

What happens in 2019 when the (L) shutdown happens and the (G) gets pressed into MUCH heavier use?

Even at a heavier use, it won’t reach the level that the (A) or (C) reaches today, which are current R32 lines. 

Going back to my negative thoughts on Wikipedia, check out today’s edit on the (R) page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(New_York_City_Subway_service)

Beginning on Monday, November 6, 2017 during weekdays only, four limited rush hour service R trains originates and terminates at 96th Street in Upper East Side, Manhattan instead of 71st Avenue.

Even though we all know it’s just one. Additionally, there is no reference to it anywhere on the (R) Stations Guide. 

They really have to do a better job over there. 

Edited by R42N

1 hour ago, R42N said:

Even at a heavier use, it won’t reach the level that the (A) or (C) reaches today, which are current R32 lines. 

The (A) barely uses them, compared to the amount of other cars it uses. The (C) is crowded in its own right, but it doesn't have to carry the load of hundreds of thousands of (L) riders in addition to its own passengers.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

If I'm correct that's a Jamaica set?

It would make sense because if you look at the schedule, the first (R) train of the day that exits Forest Hills-71 Av arrives at Bay Ridge-95 St just in time to make the 7:01 trip out to 96 St-2 Av. So all they have to do is send the first (R) train of the day as an R160 and boom, you will always get an R160 on the (R) to 96 St

6 hours ago, R42N said:

Going back to my negative thoughts on Wikipedia, check out today’s edit on the (R) page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(New_York_City_Subway_service)

Even though we all know it’s just one. Additionally, there is no reference to it anywhere on the (R) Stations Guide. 

They really have to do a better job over there. 

I hid the text announcing the one train, because there was no source yet. I can't edit during the school day, so I can't undo it. I work hard to make sure that stuff like that doesn't happen. Again, I don't edit during the school day.