Today (6/27/12)is 2nd anniversary of the "Doomsday" Bus cuts and changes.

Q101viaSteinway

Should the MTA bring the B71 back? There's no demand for it since the 3, 4 train serves Eastern Parkway, and can take people to Manhattan faster than the B71 and it's extension to South Ferry.

Not all routes are meant to be rode from end-to-end. The B71 would be meant to provide coverage (especially west of Grand Army Plaza), and also to connect Carroll Gardens (and to a lesser extent, Red Hook since they can cross over the BQE to reach it instead of taking a bus to the subway) to Lower Manhattan. I mean, yeah, you could take the (F) to the (R), but it would still be easier to take the bus directly.

Do you know bus shelters owned by CEMUSA still has pre-June 28th route like on 42nd St/1st Av.

At 5th Av-59th St Subway Station booth still has old M1, M5 and M6 route map.

I wrote an article on Sheepsheadbites a few weeks ago that CEMUSA has not updated any of the signage and in fact has been removing all bus information replacing it with Travel Tips.

Restore Bx25 rush hours peak direction only running the old Bx26 route in Co Op City. The Bx25 and Bx26 routings would be reversed from the pre 2010 cuts. This would give Co Op City extra rush hour peak direction service.

Bx39 should continue to go to 241 St, there should be a three legged transfer between the Bx41, Bx41 LTD/SBS, Bx55 and the Bx39 at Gun Hill Road. Some Bx41 riders can use the Bx55 to get to the Bx39 (or the (2) and (5) trains). The late night Bx41 however should be extended to 241 St, while the late night Bx39 runs between Clason Pt and Pelham Pkwy.

Restore Bx25 rush hours peak direction only running the old Bx26 route in Co Op City. The Bx25 and Bx26 routings would be reversed from the pre 2010 cuts. This would give Co Op City extra rush hour peak direction service.

Bx39 should continue to go to 241 St, there should be a three legged transfer between the Bx41, Bx41 LTD/SBS, Bx55 and the Bx39 at Gun Hill Road. Some Bx41 riders can use the Bx55 to get to the Bx39 (or the (2) and (5) trains). The late night Bx41 however should be extended to 241 St, while the late night Bx39 runs between Clason Pt and Pelham Pkwy.

By the way, did the MTA keep service levels the same along Allerton Avenue after the cuts? (Basically, were the savings mostly coming from the shorter route the buses took, or also from reduced service along Allerton?)

Should the MTA bring the B71 back? There's no demand for it since the 3, 4 train serves Eastern Parkway, and can take people to Manhattan faster than the B71 and it's extension to South Ferry.

Under its last rendition, no.....

The B71 to S. Ferry has been done to death..... I would presume the consensus (of the active folks in the bus part of the forum, that is) agrees that should happen.....

By the way, did the MTA keep service levels the same along Allerton Avenue after the cuts? (Basically, were the savings mostly coming from the shorter route the buses took, or also from reduced service along Allerton?)

The routing was the biggest savings, there were some slight cuts though. Saturday service at the time went from 12 to 15 minutes, weekday service had slight midday cuts in one place and and some PM rush additions in another.

Brooklyn:

B39/B51: Restore weekday service as it needs for ADA.

Bronx:

Bx34 Weekend Service needs to restore.

Manhattan:

M1: South Ferry branch needs to be restored.

M5: Implement LTD stop service on all times except overnight hours.

M6: Needs to restore and route restruction between 72nd St Subway Station and South Ferry. SB Route via Broadway, 7th Av, 23rd St, 5th Av, 8th St, Broadway.

M8: Restore weekend service.

M10: Restore to Penn Station.

M20: Increase frequency.

M42: Restore Javits Center branch on weekdays to help relief overcrowd on M34 SBS.

M98: Restore service to 34th St/Lexington Av.

X25: Restore and extended to Port Authority Bus Terminal.

X90: Restore this service to operate rush hour only serving both Battery Park City neighborhood with additional stops at 34th St, so passengers can connect to M34/M34A SBS.

Queens:

Q79: Little Neck Parkway passengers want this bus back. When I took last ride on Q79, elderly and bus operator was not happy Q79 going away.

QM22: Jackson Heights/LIC/Astoria residents want this bus restored and have schedule increase and also want to have Downtown (according) to Bounand.) and have same Midtown/Downtown Routing as other QM buses.

QM23: Restore and extend QM23 to Jamaica, so Jamaica residents has new option between train, local bus, subway and express bus into Manhattan.

X32: Restore this service on school days except during Regents or RCT Week. During the regents week, X32 was useless b/c I was only one on Jamaica-bound trip.

X51: Restore this service and have operate rush hour peak direction only.

Brooklyn:

B39/B51: Restore weekday service as it needs for ADA.

Bronx:

Bx34 Weekend Service needs to restore.

Manhattan:

M1: South Ferry branch needs to be restored.

M5: Implement LTD stop service on all times except overnight hours.

M6: Needs to restore and route restruction between 72nd St Subway Station and South Ferry. SB Route via Broadway, 7th Av, 23rd St, 5th Av, 8th St, Broadway.

M8: Restore weekend service.

M10: Restore to Penn Station.

M20: Increase frequency.

M42: Restore Javits Center branch on weekdays to help relief overcrowd on M34 SBS.

M98: Restore service to 34th St/Lexington Av.

X25: Restore and extended to Port Authority Bus Terminal.

X90: Restore this service to operate rush hour only serving both Battery Park City neighborhood with additional stops at 34th St, so passengers can connect to M34/M34A SBS.

Queens:

Q79: Little Neck Parkway passengers want this bus back. When I took last ride on Q79, elderly and bus operator was not happy Q79 going away.

QM22: Jackson Heights/LIC/Astoria residents want this bus restored and have schedule increase and also want to have Downtown (according) to Bounand.) and have same Midtown/Downtown Routing as other QM buses.

QM23: Restore and extend QM23 to Jamaica, so Jamaica residents has new option between train, local bus, subway and express bus into Manhattan.

X32: Restore this service on school days except during Regents or RCT Week. During the regents week, X32 was useless b/c I was only one on Jamaica-bound trip.

X51: Restore this service and have operate rush hour peak direction only.

Yuki i agree with most of your ideas. However i disagree with the X25 and X32 coming back. The X25 had the lowest riders usage in the system. Ditto for the X32. Let a private bus carrier take over that former X32 that approved by Bronx Science.

While the X90 could simply be a Super Limited between Yorkville and Lower Manhattan called the M90. It would till end of the decade and then if and when the 1st stage of the SAS opens it wont be needed.

Finally Yuki lets keep it to NYC area buses. There always the NICE thread for their suggestions.

While the X90 could simply be a Super Limited between Yorkville and Lower Manhattan called the M90. It would till end of the decade and then if and when the 1st stage of the SAS opens it wont be needed.

I still have absolutely no idea where this M90 limited idea is coming from.

Keep it express. For each 100 people that took the express (100 * $5.50 = $550), you'd need 245 people (245 * $2.25 = $551.25) to take the limited. WHERE ARE ALL THESE ADDITIONAL RIDERS COMING FROM? Just take a look at the neighborhood it serves and the area it drops off in. York Avenue to Water Street - I can definitely say that the $5.50 fare was not the reason anyone decided not to take the bus.

Also if you make it limited and stop at M15 stops, such as 50th, 42nd, 34th, etc. it will make a 40 minute commute into close to an hour, and nobody would take it. All the MTA needed to do was reduce the X90 frequency, because 10 minute headways were not needed. Anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes would've been perfectly acceptable. Cutting a 10-minute headway bus that connected areas where the subway doesn't even run close to out of the blue was just ridiculous.

I still have absolutely no idea where this M90 limited idea is coming from.

Keep it express. For each 100 people that took the express (100 * $5.50 = $550), you'd need 245 people (245 * $2.25 = $551.25) to take the limited. WHERE ARE ALL THESE ADDITIONAL RIDERS COMING FROM? Just take a look at the neighborhood it serves and the area it drops off in. York Avenue to Water Street - I can definitely say that the $5.50 fare was not the reason anyone decided not to take the bus.

Also if you make it limited and stop at M15 stops, such as 50th, 42nd, 34th, etc. it will make a 40 minute commute into close to an hour, and nobody would take it. All the MTA needed to do was reduce the X90 frequency, because 10 minute headways were not needed. Anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes would've been perfectly acceptable. Cutting a 10-minute headway bus that connected areas where the subway doesn't even run close to out of the blue was just ridiculous.

Sounding like Gogor. At this point would you rather the current setup of No service from York Ave at all? Or a compromise and create a M90 Limited? And no it could use the FDR Drive between 42nd and Lower Manhattan. IMO the (MTA) will never return Intrabrough express bus service. Thus idea for M90 Limited. It's you call Gorgor.

Sounding like Gogor. At this point would you rather the current setup of No service from York Ave at all? Or a compromise and create a M90 Limited? And no it could use the FDR Drive between 42nd and Lower Manhattan. IMO the (MTA) will never return Intrabrough express bus service. Thus idea for M90 Limited. It's you call Gorgor.

Please, explain to me the logic behind this. WHERE IS THIS EXTRA RIDERSHIP GOING TO COME FROM? All I see is you trying to rebrand a $5.50 bus for $2.25 and run the same route. Why do you think this is going to magically increase ridership by nearly triple its previous levels?

Please, explain to me the logic behind this. WHERE IS THIS EXTRA RIDERSHIP GOING TO COME FROM? All I see is you trying to rebrand a $5.50 bus for $2.25 and run the same route. Why do you think this is going to magically increase ridership by nearly triple its previous levels?

No wonder this is why our society has problem i.e Congress, etc. because no one wants to compromise any more. I am not saying i agree with the (MTA) X90 being cut. I was offering alternative so don't damn scream at me and Chill Gorgor. :angry: Blame the (MTA) and local political officals on Upper East Side for not addressing this.

The extra riders would come from Lower Manhattan (Downtown bound) riders getting acces to an additional local bus to Battery Park City/Fiancial Center. And Uptown-Bound buses serving as a York Ave "Limited" getting riders from the often delayed M31. Got it.

Going back to this I'd like to bring up routes & forms of service that sould return from the Doomsday Cuts.

Q76: On Weekend It carried 50%-60% air but it did help as being an greater alternative from the crowded Q20A at the time At least for me anyway. Plus it reached certain parts going towards upper Queens in it's own way.

Q79: Little Neck is left with out their own route closest to them in their area (specfifcally speaking of the older riders that used it).

B39: Bring Back to help handicapped passengers along myrtle av subway line (Forgot which one exactly).

M104: Despite recent disagreements over this I still believe IMO this route should be restored back to U.N. to bring back importance into it. Moreso to lesser congest the M42 & bring relief.

Going back to this I'd like to bring up routes & forms of service that sould return from the Doomsday Cuts.

Q76: On Weekend It carried 50%-60% air but it did help as being an greater alternative from the crowded Q20A at the time At least for me anyway. Plus it reached certain parts going towards upper Queens in it's own way.

Q79: Little Neck is left with out their own route closest to them in their area (specfifcally speaking of the older riders that used it).

B39: Bring Back to help handicapped passengers along myrtle av subway line (Forgot which one exactly).

M104: Despite recent disagreements over this I still believe IMO this route should be restored back to U.N. to bring back importance into it. Moreso to lesser congest the M42 & bring relief.

The B39 went over the Williamsburg Bridge not Myrtle Ave. And that subway line is called the (J) and (M). Only weekday service should return.

The B39 needs to return. the Marcy Station on the JMZ is ada. Essex/delancy isn't. I'd run it 7 days but no overnights. 2 buses back and forth weekdays maybe one or two weekends. People do shuttle across weekends too.

The M8 also could use the weekends back. It's current weekday headway can stay the same Imo.

The way Broadway is, I think we saw the last of the M6 two years ago.

Funny thing about the X25, it ran out of UP using buses deadheading. But was rarely used if at all. Not needed Imo.

The x90, well, given the popularity of SBS on the m15, it would be a waste of money. Even if it's restructured as an M90ltd.

The x32 were basically school trippers. A private company can cover that route if it's really needed.

Weekend service on the M22(especially on sundays)needs to be extended to a later hour...maybe around 11pm.

He himself doesn't care whether the route is local or express. He's not saying "I'm not going to set foot on that bus unless it's an MCI and charges $5.50". He just wants his fast ride Downtown. But he's saying the ridership isn't going to increase to the point where it would make the same amount of money as the old X90. Could it get decent ridership? Of course, but how many of those would be "unique" riders (riders not diverted from the M15 or M31 or whatever)? Yeah, I know it would likely be faster than the M15, and would help out the M31, but that's not going to lead to the route having 2.5 times the ridership of the old X90, at least in terms of new riders. Yeah, Gorgor talks about York Avenue riders jumping in a cab because the M31 isn't frequent enough, but I still doubt they would be enough to sustain the M90.

How many people actually want to pay more? (Well, I can think of one user who was begging for an express bus fare increase, but he's just one guy). Gorgor is "affluent" enough that he doesn't care how expensive the bus is. But that doesn't mean he's completely against the idea of a local bus. He just doesn't think it'll make financial sense for the MTA.

If creating an M90 instead of bringing back the old X90 meant that another route (like the B4) couldn't be saved, and the people on the UES didn't care about the extra fare anyway, what sense would that make?

I would like Gorgor to explain what if anything he has tried to do to get the X90 restored aside from throwing a fit. I know us Riverdale folks are bad, but at least we do more than just complain. I've asked him repeatedly about getting petitions together and he has yet to answer me. And Shortline, the politicians on the Upper East Side did try to save the route. The (MTA) wanted the X90 axed, plain and simple and wanted to push the M15 SBS as the alternative, when in fact it is far from an alternative.

I would like Gorgor to explain what if anything he has tried to do to get the X90 restored aside from throwing a fit. I know us Riverdale folks are bad, but at least we do more than just complain. I've asked him repeatedly about getting petitions together and he has yet to answer me. And Shortline, the politicians on the Upper East Side did try to save the route. The (MTA) wanted the X90 axed, plain and simple and wanted to push the M15 SBS as the alternative, when in fact it is far from an alternative.

I haven't brought up anything about this for a while. I only started talking about it on this thread in response to a post by someone else regarding the X90.

There isn't anything I can do. Once the MTA gets rid of something and saves $1,000,000 a year as a result, they're not bringing it back. Pretty much everyone on the X90 was in a suit and tie, and those are not the type of people who will become part of a protest movement to restore a route. The MTA will not take one person alone seriously, plus I don't have the kind of time to organize such a thing, nor did I ever engage in conversation with any of the other passengers, so I wouldn't be able to contact them anyways.

What was night service on the Q30 like? Was it really that bad that it had to be cut?

According to them, it had 28 riders between the hours of 1 & 5. Divide that over 8 trips made during that time (1 hour headways), and that's less than 4 riders per bus.

And in case VG8 comes in, I'm not saying I necessarily agree, but just that it was the logic they used.

Lol at "hitch a ride on a coke truck".

-----------

In my opinion:

Restore Bx39 to the way it was.

Restore Bx41 to the way it was.

Restore the Bx34 Weekend service.

Restore Bx55 Weekend service ( A must in my opinion. )

Archived