Today (6/27/12)is 2nd anniversary of the "Doomsday" Bus cuts and changes.

Q101viaSteinway

lmao @ this:

http://media.silive....ff1c7_large.jpg

Anyway, I don't have a list of all the cuts in front of me (that webcitation link aint workin right now), but off top, the only cuts/changes I agreed with, were that of the B37 & the B12.....

The M30, M27, M18, M6, part of the M10, X29, X51, X20; all of those were good cuts that I could think of off the top of my head.

Just adding on to your list.

Finally the M6 was a nightmare when it ran, it was a good idea on the MTA's part to cut it. It was not a good idea to have the M5 cover the M6's route. I have suggested in the past to bring back the M1 to its original routing.

That would mean that Church Street/6th Avenue would be left with no service between Worth Street and 14th Street.

The M30, M27, M18, M6, part of the M10, X29, X51, X20; all of those were good cuts that I could think of off the top of my head.

no problem.

Yep, I'd agree w/ the M18, M27, and the x32 (adding this one in).....

Although:

x29 cut I did not agree with at all....

x20 acted as a sort of loop which never really caught on..... didn't really wanna see it go, but it pretty much had to...

M30 & x51 FWIW, I'm rather indifferent on....

M10 I didn't really agree with b/c it helped provide a bus along 7th/8th w/i midtown, instead of having to wait for the notoriously unreliable M20.... but you're right in your earlier post/assessment about the M10 though....

M6 cut I didn't really agree with either, but since now broadway in midtown is all butchered up, that's all for naught.....

I also didn't agree with the x20 and 29 cuts. That 29 did see some good usage like the rest of the routes. I usually saw the x20 with a decent amount of people, not exactly a fully seated load but enough people on enough buses as it was. Getting to the South Beach / Grant City area is a real PITA.

*responding to the bolded parts*

Those cuts were completely terrible.

The purpose for the M30 was to get through the lower portion of the Upper East Side without having to rely on the M31, which gets packed with standees in the mid-afternoon and crawls along 57th Street due to the heavy traffic. The northbound M30 buses bypassed the traffic and allowed passengers to get to 72nd and either 1st or York Avenue without getting stuck. A family friend of mine relied on the M30 for this reason, and the cut meant forcing M30 riders to take the slow M31. Restoration of the M30 would allow passengers the alternative to skip the majority of the Midtown/UpperEast Side border and through the heart of the quieter southern section of the Upper East Side.

The M18's purpose was to allow Convent Avenue passengers a way to travel to Washington Heights or Central Park. Convent is really steep, and walking up the hill can really hamper your knee strength, especially for the elders who live there. Combine that with the fact that there are no true alternatives, it makes traveling very difficult for the Convent residents.

The M6's cut sucked because it merged with the M5 and made it worse. Longer bus routes tend to equal longer delays, and the M5 is often late due to 5th Avenue's crowding, long length, and longer stretch of schedule. Also, the M5 runs local on weekends! If I were a Riverside Drive resident, I'd skip the M5 and either take a cab or subway to go downtown. If the M6 were to be restored, then the M5 would not have to bear penetrating both Midtown and Battery Park City. Restoration of the weekend M5 limited could allow Riverside Drive residents another option to ride to Midtown and not have to stop every two stops just to get there.

While the M10 didn't carry as many passengers as the M7 or M104, it was nonetheless a great supplemental route for them both. In addition, the M10 gave Central Park West residents the ability to travel down 7th Avenue without having to transfer to the subway or either the M104 or M7. The M104 and M7 get extremely busy at this time of year, especially the southbound Columbus Circle bus stop, and supplemental service from the M10 would help them greatly.

As for the X29, that route gained a lot of service and passengers over its last two-plus years of service—giving them an alternative to Coney Island without having to rely on the (B) or (Q) train. With the X29 gone, the passengers have to rely on the train and/or unreliable B68. The MTA made a big mistake cutting that express route.

As for the X29, that route gained a lot of service and passengers over its last two-plus years of service—giving them an alternative to Coney Island without having to rely on the (B) or (Q) train. With the X29 gone, the passengers have to rely on the train and/or unreliable B68. The MTA made a big mistake cutting that express route.

Actually, service was cut during its last years and ridership was decreasing. It still performed pretty well, though.

The M18's purpose was to allow Convent Avenue passengers a way to travel to Washington Heights or Central Park. Convent is really steep, and walking up the hill can really hamper your knee strength, especially for the elders who live there. Combine that with the fact that there are no true alternatives, it makes traveling very difficult for the Convent residents.

You're not wrong, but the problem with the 18 was its actual usage along Convent.... virtually no one took the things.

Actually, service was cut during its last years and ridership was decreasing. It still performed pretty well, though.

Exactly.... The MTA had to thin service to justify cutting the x29...... ridership was actually increasing if you ask me....

Sometimes I would take it, over taking either the BM's (before they eliminated the routing along church av on the BM1 & 2) back to Brooklyn.

Many of the routes i.e X29 will never come back. However a few cuts that should be restored asap in no order.

~~

More to come. Reactions?

The M5 I'd leave it at the GWB stop. It gives people a direct ride to the GWB plus there are lots of people who get on there heading, South. Maybe restore the old routing via Houston Street would be nice and bring back the M6.

The M6's cut sucked because it merged with the M5 and made it worse. Longer bus routes tend to equal longer delays, and the M5 is often late due to 5th Avenue's crowding, long length, and longer stretch of schedule. Also, the M5 runs local on weekends! If I were a Riverside Drive resident, I'd skip the M5 and either take a cab or subway to go downtown. If the M6 were to be restored, then the M5 would not have to bear penetrating both Midtown and Battery Park City. Restoration of the weekend M5 limited could allow Riverside Drive residents another option to ride to Midtown and not have to stop every two stops just to get there.

The M18: Just because it offered people an alternative to getting to the top of St. Nicholas Park really doesn't make it very special. The M18 was really light, even with the headways bad. There are more people who use the M100/M101 or the M3 as an alternative. If I an M18 replacement would be needed, I'd use the Bx33 and make use of that, via 141st Street, down Convent and maybe end it in Manhattanville or something.

The M6: I agree on that bringing back. The M5 has a late issue with all the traffic piling up on 6th Avenue, that line is long. For the M30 replacement, maybe use the M6 and replace it with that.

As for Manhattan I disagree with your ideas about the M10, M6, and, M104.

When the M10 ran to Penn Station a lot of the buses that were about to terminate were almost empty, same deal with buses that were heading towards 159th. The M10 gets a bulk of its ridership along CPW and FDB (between 135th and 116th). After about 65th street most people are off the buses so bringing the M10 back to Penn would be a waste of money.

The M104, when it ran to UN was hammered by the traffic on 42nd street, thus making the M104 an unreliable route. Now that the 104 doesn't have to deal with the traffic on 42nd street it runs better. Besides the M42 has very good headways so it manages the crowds very well.

Finally the M6 was a nightmare when it ran, it was a good idea on the MTA's part to cut it. It was not a good idea to have the M5 cover the M6's route. I have suggested in the past to bring back the M1 to its original routing.

Also bring the X90 back!

Carry on...

M10 to 159th of course its going to start emptying up, thats the terminal. But there is a higher ridership for the M10 north of 110th Street. I do see people who sticks on the bus to the last stop which is about 158th/159th around. I'd make some use out of that route and have it head to GWB. Gives people a direct access to other routes, plus not needing to walk 155th Street Staircase to the M2/Bx6.

The purpose for the M30 was to get through the lower portion of the Upper East Side without having to rely on the M31, which gets packed with standees in the mid-afternoon and crawls along 57th Street due to the heavy traffic. The northbound M30 buses bypassed the traffic and allowed passengers to get to 72nd and either 1st or York Avenue without getting stuck. A family friend of mine relied on the M30 for this reason, and the cut meant forcing M30 riders to take the slow M31. Restoration of the M30 would allow passengers the alternative to skip the majority of the Midtown/UpperEast Side border and through the heart of the quieter southern section of the Upper East Side.

While the M10 didn't carry as many passengers as the M7 or M104, it was nonetheless a great supplemental route for them both. In addition, the M10 gave Central Park West residents the ability to travel down 7th Avenue without having to transfer to the subway or either the M104 or M7. The M104 and M7 get extremely busy at this time of year, especially the southbound Columbus Circle bus stop, and supplemental service from the M10 would help them greatly.

However didn't Transport Azumah operate a service along the exact same X29 route for a cheaper fare

The M5 I'd leave it at the GWB stop. It gives people a direct ride to the GWB plus there are lots of people who get on there heading, South. Maybe restore the old routing via Houston Street would be nice and bring back the M6.

The M18: Just because it offered people an alternative to getting to the top of St. Nicholas Park really doesn't make it very special. The M18 was really light, even with the headways bad. There are more people who use the M100/M101 or the M3 as an alternative. If I an M18 replacement would be needed, I'd use the Bx33 and make use of that, via 141st Street, down Convent and maybe end it in Manhattanville or something.

The M6: I agree on that bringing back. The M5 has a late issue with all the traffic piling up on 6th Avenue, that line is long. For the M30 replacement, maybe use the M6 and replace it with that.

M10 to 159th of course its going to start emptying up, thats the terminal. But there is a higher ridership for the M10 north of 110th Street. I do see people who sticks on the bus to the last stop which is about 158th/159th around. I'd make some use out of that route and have it head to GWB. Gives people a direct access to other routes, plus not needing to walk 155th Street Staircase to the M2/Bx6.

I didn't mean buses that were about to terminate at 159th, I was talking about buses that were starting up their run at Penn and were heading towards 159th.

Axing the (V) did allow for a bunch of R44s to be retired, because Jamaica Yard needed less trainsets and could give some R46s to the (A). I don't know if the decision to merge the (V) and (M) was made just for that purpose, though. I don't really see any clear way how getting rid of the (W) helped get rid of R44s.

As far as Bronx bus routes go, I'd say:

1) Reinstate weekend/overnight service on the Bx34 (if MTA could only choose one, definitely weekend service). NO short turns; the Fordham - Woodlawn IRT segment is plenty utilized (particularly for cats traveling between Fordham and Montefiore; the Bx28 route is roundabout in that respect). The weekend Bx34 IS needed; note that MTA recently increased weekend Bx16 bus service due to overcrowding (see p.130-131 of linked document) - and don't forget the Woodlawn taxi initiative.

2) Reinstate the weekend Bx55 LTD

3) Depending on what riders prefer, mayhap restore the old Bx39/41 routings. Given that the Bx41 is set to go +SBS in the future, this could be really beneficial.

4) Service increases where needed (e.g. Co-op City).

Basically, the only service cut that affected me was the elimination of Q31 weekend service. On Saturdays, I take violin lessons at 46th Ave. near Utopia. I would normally take a 30+ walk to there and back, but the Q31 was extremely useful for emergencies, and days I was feeling tired, and it reduced my commute to 15 minutes, including the walk to the bus stop. I would be extremely pleased if Q31 weekend service was restored, even though ridership isn't so high, and it's mostly a school bus. -_-

i think the ta will not restore every cut? route like:

the b71, b37, b71, b75, b77, x 27, 28 weekend, m6, m10, m18, m98, m104 ( e of times square) probably won"t be restored.

the b12 except hawlk, b2, b3, b4 ( full span to sheapshead bay) b3 ( e of e71st} b48, b51, b67, 69 (restore old routing), b64 to ci,

m10, ( south of c c}, bx 39 ( hawlk exstended to gun hill road), bx34 (weekends), q31 (weekends) Q74, q76 (saturday) willl probably

be restored.

all subways cuts will be restored including the w, may be the m will get weekend midtowm service im lieu of the v. and the off peak loadimg guide lines.

Should the MTA bring the B71 back? There's no demand for it since the 3, 4 train serves Eastern Parkway, and can take people to Manhattan faster than the B71 and it's extension to South Ferry.

Archived