"Group of eight women stab Manhattan subway rider after he makes wisecrack"

tvega961

Was the weapon that they used illegal?

That I don't know, but most folks don't go walking around with knives just because. The other point made by a politician this morning was training young individuals to stop resorting to using weapons in the first place, most of which are usually illegal.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's correct... The article itself said nothing about Stop & Frisk even though the topic overall has garnered discussion about S & F and illegal weapons in the media, which is where this article came from in the first place, but if we're going to be so strict about only sticking to what articles say then we should never interject any outside information in a thread aside from what is listed, which quite frankly would mean very little could be discussed.

Thanks for acknowledging that. But if that's going to the attitude, why not talk about Global Warming and its role in the incident? I am not trying to be funny, but I am just following your chain of reasoning.

There are many things that can be talked about that can be said to be relevant:

1. Police presence in the subways

2. Police response time

3. MTA security

4. MTA protocols (if there are any) when these incidents occur

5.Token booth clerks (I have a hard time believing they all paid and got on the subway--maybe police could have intercepted them earlier).

6. Conductor/train operator response

So yes, there are many things to talk about that ARE RELEVENT rather than bringing up something that really isn't.

That I don't know, but most folks don't go walking around with knives just because. The other point made a politician this morning was training young individuals to stop resorting to using weapons in the first place, most of which are usually illegal.

This is one of the points I am making. Someone injects illegal weapons into the discussion, yet don't know if an illegal weapon was actually used......again, I am not talking about you, but people just bringing up random stuff and saying that it's relevant yet they cannot adequately explain why.

This is one of the points I am making. Someone injects illegal weapons into the discussion, yet don't know if an illegal weapon was actually used......again, I am not talking about you, but people just bringing up random stuff and saying that it's relevant yet they cannot adequately explain why.

That's because this topic was brought up when discussing S & F and weapons... It didn't just came about just because. Don't blame me for linking them. The media linked them.

Then why did you make the comment about the police "targeting the right people" as all of these criminals were minorities?

He CLEARLY said if the shoe fits then it fits... then went on to say that regardless if they are white OR minority if they are dressed a certain way and glorify the behavior of those who commit these petty crimes then they should be should be subject to this protocol...

That's because this topic was brought up when discussing S & F and weapons... It didn't just came about just because. Don't blame me for linking them. The media linked them.

Wasn't blaming you....

so then let's talk about things that might be relevant:

At what point did the conductor know something was brewing? What was his/her response?

Also, did the girls jump turnstyles? Was a token booth clerk present? Maybe the clerk could have alerted law enforcement that something was brewing...or was there no clerk because of the cuts?

How long did it take for the police to repond?

I think these are quite relevant. Any takers?

I was reading this, and the whole time it reminded me somewhat of a situation on the 50 yesterday.

It was the last bus of the day. And of course it being track season, everybody took that bus. I was the first person on at my stop, so I was able to get a seat. Later, someone slid off the seat. Probably because she weighed 300+ pounds, and it was a pretty small space to begin with. She had a fit, started cursing out everybody sitting in the front. (Which I was) Now, because there's this crazy ass person, I should move to the back and give up MY seat? Then what? Stand for the next 75 minutes? Because somebody thinks they're all that? Hell no.

And don't give me this "He should've shut up" crap. I'm not going to lie. When this happened, (and another incident later with the person on the seat in front of me), I was laughing about it, making wisecracks with the people behind me. The situation was ridiculous, and I found it a bit funny to be honest. God forbid I can't hold my laughter, or something slips out of my mouth. This is no reason to get stabed at all.

If rowdy teenagers got on my bus, I would have no reason to think I could get stabbed for making a joke. If it's someone crazy that's different. Another time I was on the 905. I was just at Quail, and I see some crazy guy rambling to himself, so I decide to stand outside the bus shelter. I got on the bus. So did the other guy. I saw him sit up front so I moved to the back from the start. Then the guy starts ranting about how every white guy in the world is evil, starts threatening every white person the bus, and the B/O pulls over and calls the cop. Did I laugh? No. Did I make a wisecrack to the person sitting next to me who was cracking up? No. Did I whip out my camera and start filming this? No. Because this guy was obviously dangerous.

But if it was just a group of ghetto teenagers, (who didn't look like they were on crack) I would make a joke or two to the guy behind me. Why? Because there is no reason for me to assume they are dangerous.

Just my thoughts on the subject for the time being.

Wasn't blaming you....

so then let's talk about things that might be relevant:

At what point did the conductor know something was brewing? What was his/her response?

Also, did the girls jump turnstyles? Was a token booth clerk present? Maybe the clerk could have alerted law enforcement that something was brewing...or was there no clerk because of the cuts?

How long did it take for the police to repond?

I think these are quite relevant. Any takers?

Well the mayor has already stated that he doesn't think more cops are needed as a result of these sorts of events. That's something else not stated in the article, but stated in the media about the events that have occurred most recently. In any event they were all nabbed and also more cops have been added to trouble spots in the system and are riding the subways.

But if it was just a group of ghetto teenagers, (who didn't look like they were on crack) I would make a joke or two to the guy behind me. Why? Because there is no reason for me to assume they are dangerous.

What are you talking about? If a group of ghetto teenagers get on then I would be on edge even if I were keeping my mouth shut because they act stupid and do stuff to try and impress the others. Making a sly remark about them is just asking for trouble, and the least you'll get is screamed at and cursed out. They're crazy and can be vicious if you set them off.

Update on the article that came out today. Turns out one of them was protecting her lover. Story below.

Starmeik Driggins, held in subway attack on Vietnam vet, was protecting her lover, lawyer says

Teen claims Ralph Carnegary punched her in face when she tried to help girlfriend Sheila Figeroa

THE WOMAN accused of slashing a Vietnam vet on the subway says she was protecting her lover.

Starmeik Driggins, 19, says that Ralph Carnegary, 63, was the aggressor, punching her in the face after she came to the defense of her girlfriend Sheila Figeroa, her lawyer said Monday.

Eight women were arrested after the wild melee on the 6 train Sunday, but only six were charged.

Manhattan prosecutors say the group attacked Carnegary after they overheard him tell a friend,

“Those girls must be retarded because they can’t hear each other talk.”

Assistant District Attorney Jessica Troy told the judge that Figeroa confronted the vet, punching him and breaking his glasses. A man on the train stepped in and Driggins started slashing Carnegary, Troy said.

Ikiesha Al-Shabazz, Driggins’ lawyer, said that Carnegary was the one with the knife .

“She went to help her girlfriend,” said Al-Shabazz. “That’s what you do when you’re in a relationship.”

jfisher@nydailynews.com

Ok, so:

1. They were lesbian. Not that this has anything to do with it, but maybe?

2. We know know the other side of the story. This enriches the discussion. While my view of them does not change, knowing their side gives a little more insight.

3. Do you have to STAB someone to protect your lover??????

This isn't because of any racism thoughts going through my head (even though I'm pretty sure whites are the dominant race in Harlem now anyways), but because Harlem has a reputation as a dangerous crime filled neighborhood.

Blacks are stil 60% of the population in Central Harlem. In East/West Harlem, Hispanics are the dominant race.

So normal people should have to put up with the antics of these savages?

No, but what other options are there?

But if he were to move to another car (when not at the station), he would've been ticketed for crossing b/w cars.

I doubt the next station was more than a minute or two away.

Obviously not excusing them beating him up, but I side with the people who say that the best thing to do would be to keep quiet until the next station.

All of the attackers so far have been minorities

And we know that how?

It's not illegal to carry a pocket knife around... they're on most of those Swiss Army-knife things with multiple tools to begin with.

Hell my dad has a pocket knife that he uses to cut rope and all that

I'm sure most perps don't abide by the law and don't stick to the legal limit of a knife with a max blade limit of 3" in NYC or carry Swiss army knives.

It's not illegal to carry a pocket knife around... they're on most of those Swiss Army-knife things with multiple tools to begin with.

Hell my dad has a pocket knife that he uses to cut rope and all that

Butterfly Balisong knives are also legal, as an effective form of assault knive they are, in New York last thing I've read. (a couple of years ago) They are not under the description of "gravity knives" i.e. switchblades.

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong as the statures on this seems to be ever changing.

Hearing their side of the story doesn't change my stance on this one bit. Just seeing those pictures of them walking out of the station in cuffs is enough to incriminate them in my point of view. You don't treat a stabbing as a joke, especially if you're the one doing the stabbing. The girls' stance in the photos clearly shows that they disregard the general code of public conduct in addition to the dignity of others around them. I say give'em the bars.

Funny how now some elected leaders are now calling for more Stop & Frisk... <_< Before they didn't want it so the cops backed down and now that you've got innocent kids being shot and people being stabbed on the subway, let's step up Stop & Frisk. These folks don't know what they want. <_<

Maybe if the cops were trainned properly to stop and frisk, maybe it would work, but you have A-hole cops that target innocent people, ive seen it for myself, what they need to do is train these cops to be more alert and target THE crimminals, NOT someone coming out of a store minding their business, maybe if you go through what innocent people go though then you would see what i mean, you have good cops and bad cops, bad cops abuse their power and it makes people more afraid to walk out, they even target the hipsters now

But these girls need to be thrown in jail, its a shame what they did, now if the man beat the hell out of one of them, he would have been thrown in jail just because their females

Well if it's SO illegal, explain why Mayor Bloomberg and many other politicians support it, including ones that previously were against it??? Also you're assuming that cops don't have reasonable suspicion apparently.

Have you ever been thrown in jail for a crime you have never committed, Have you ever been looked at for no damn reason just because your minding your Business, HELL f**kING NO!!!, if the cops only targeted THUGS, instead of innocent minorties then Maybe I would support it, Cops Like to pick on people for no reason, and im not one of those people who dresses like everyone else, I dress normal and still got thrown in jail for a damn crime I didn't even commit, Stop and frisk is causing the city alot of money due to lawsuits all because of a jackass cop went and stopped the wrong person, this is why i can't stand some of you, go through what I went though and everyone else, Half of Rikers Island is Full of innocent People who minded thier own business and all of you sayin oh lets throw the scum off the streets, the bicthes who did this crime deserve to be in jail, what they did was wrong, Stop and frisk has not Worked due to Cops Being Jackasses and throwning people in jail, WITHOUT the Proper Evidence While you still have your thugs in the street killing people, You guys needs to stop sucking the media's ass and wake up and smell the coffee, the cops need to be retrained and stop and frisk the THUGS, Not anyone who comes out of work or college!!!

and what they need to do is throw these girls in jail with men, see how they faces go from smileing to straight up terrified

Maybe if the cops were trainned properly to stop and frisk, maybe it would work, but you have A-hole cops that target innocent people, ive seen it for myself, what they need to do is train these cops to be more alert and target THE crimminals, NOT someone coming out of a store minding their business, maybe if you go through what innocent people go though then you would see what i mean, you have good cops and bad cops, bad cops abuse their power and it makes people more afraid to walk out, they even target the hipsters now

But these girls need to be thrown in jail, its a shame what they did, now if the man beat the hell out of one of them, he would have been thrown in jail just because their females

I've said several times that cops aren't perfect. You talk about them like they're machines. They're humans and make mistakes just like everyone else. There are good cops and bad cops. It seems like you have a lot of displaced anger though. I mean so what are you going to do, be angry at the police for the rest of your life? That's life. Things happen and life isn't always fair. Don't paint all cops as douchebags.

Have you ever been thrown in jail for a crime you have never committed, Have you ever been looked at for no damn reason just because your minding your Business, HELL f**kING NO!!!, if the cops only targeted THUGS, instead of innocent minorties then Maybe I would support it, Cops Like to pick on people for no reason, and im not one of those people who dresses like everyone else, I dress normal and still got thrown in jail for a damn crime I didn't even commit, Stop and frisk is causing the city alot of money due to lawsuits all because of a jackass cop went and stopped the wrong person, this is why i can't stand some of you, go through what I went though and everyone else, Half of Rikers Island is Full of innocent People who minded thier own business and all of you sayin oh lets throw the scum off the streets, the bicthes who did this crime deserve to be in jail, what they did was wrong, Stop and frisk has not Worked due to Cops Being Jackasses and throwning people in jail, WITHOUT the Proper Evidence While you still have your thugs in the street killing people, You guys needs to stop sucking the media's ass and wake up and smell the coffee, the cops need to be retrained and stop and frisk the THUGS, Not anyone who comes out of work or college!!!

Talk about a rambling post... :ph34r: Well I will say this... I do know that some minorities have it rough as has been shown by research that I've done and things i've seen on a daily basis. I know for example that dark skinned black males are considered more of a threat and tend to be targeted more so and it doesn't matter how they are dressed. It's unfortunate and it's something that one can't do anything about. However at the same time, when you see the folks that are arrested on TV and they're mainly dark skinned black males, that leaves a negative scar on some folks and they internalize that and hold on to it. Is it wrong? Perhaps it is, but it is hard to shake those images when you keep seeing them over and over.

I've said several times that cops aren't perfect. You talk about them like they're machines. They're humans and make mistakes just like everyone else. There are good cops and bad cops. It seems like you have a lot of displaced anger though. I mean so what are you going to do, be angry at the police for the rest of your life? That's life. Things happen and life isn't always fair. Don't paint all cops as douchebags.

Talk about a rambling post... :ph34r: Well I will say this... I do know that some minorities have it rough as has been shown by research that I've done and things i've seen on a daily basis. I know for example that dark skinned black males are considered more of a threat and tend to be targeted more so and it doesn't matter how they are dressed. It's unfortunate and it's something that one can't do anything about. However at the same time, when you see the folks that are arrested on TV and they're mainly dark skinned black males, that leaves a negative scar on some folks and they internalize that and hold on to it. Is it wrong? Perhaps it is, but it is hard to shake those images when you keep seeing them over and over.

to be honest you sound stupid, about the TV part, you wacth too Much TV, thats why everyone is ripping on your ass, because your starting not to make sense, Number 1 Blacks aren't the only ones who go through this, Hispanics go through the Same Exact Problem and of course the TV media is always gonna show Black men being thrown in jail but you fail to realize that other races do the SAME exact or wrose crimes than Blacks, and to be real the Bronx WHERE your from have the Most Sex offenders, and Most SEX offenders or ether white or hispanic with about 25% blacks so instead of singling out people basied on race, get your ass up from that couch and stop wacthing too much fox, Because Fox is good for stirring up shit, and go outside and go see what really goes on

to be honest you sound stupid, about the TV part, you wacth too Much TV, thats why everyone is ripping on your ass, because your starting not to make sense, Number 1 Blacks aren't the only ones who go through this, Hispanics go through the Same Exact Problem and of course the TV media is always gonna show Black men being thrown in jail but you fail to realize that other races do the SAME exact or wrose crimes than Blacks, and to be real the Bronx WHERE your from have the Most Sex offenders, and Most SEX offenders or ether white or hispanic with about 25% blacks so instead of singling out people basied on race, get your ass up from that couch and stop wacthing too much fox, Because Fox is good for stirring up shit, and go outside and go see what really goes on

Yes, I know that other groups commit crimes, but what I said was that you usually see blacks being arrested on TV the most and this is what people internalize unfortunately. That was the point. One politician commented on how more needs to be done with minority communities to change the mentality. I mean look at these girls... They thought it was cute what they did...

Just to be clear, I am NOT from the Bronx. Living in Riverdale I'm not exposed to what happens in the Bronx, but what I do see is tons of news reports on killings and muggings and such. With that said, being from South Brooklyn and being a New Yorker, I've been trained enough through life experiences to know a thing or two about what really goes on.

Archived