Dilapidated N-line subway stations are dangerous - especially rotting metal

mark1447

[float=left]post-5097-0-30856800-1344958593_thumb.jpg[/float] Corroded and nearly 100-year-old staircases at a slew of dilapidated subway stations along the (N) line are at the top of straphangers’ list of complaints about the stops.

Nine outdoor stations from Sunset Park to Gravesend have been plagued by rotting metal staircases full of gaping, rusted holes; water leaks, peeling paint and cracked walls for more than eight years, riders said.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-30856800-1344958593_thumb.jpg

It's not like this hasn't been discussed to death...

If anything the MTA should be pressured to see if they can somehow start rehabbing these stations earlier. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't an aesthetic issue, but one involving safety. If someone gets hurt, the money spent fighting the lawsuit and paying out for the sustained injuries could very well be expensive, far more so perhaps than starting the work earlier.

If anything the MTA should be pressured to see if they can somehow start rehabbing these stations earlier. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't an aesthetic issue, but one involving safety. If someone gets hurt, the money spent fighting the lawsuit and paying out for the sustained injuries could very well be expensive, far more so perhaps than starting the work earlier.

Sure, i'm for rehabbing stations in this condition... But it's been said so many times before.

According the MTA's capital program 2005-2009, the Sea Beach Line was supposed to get rehab already...

Then they postponed the project to 2012...

It is 2012 now, but again they postponed it to 2014...

I really doubt if this is going to happen in 2014...

18th Av is my home station, and it still looks disgusting so is the other 9 Sea Beach stations! I'm just glad I've heard that the renovation is coming on October 2014. The MTA has to keep making sure that everybody is okay before the renovation...

I've actually saw paint flying out of the station by itself.

These stations, along with stations on the Manhattan (J)(Z) stations, are being tested for how poorly the MTA can treat a station. :angry:

This is what the strappies need to focus on. They need to do more of this and less pointing out the painfully obvious.

Bravo! So in about 1 1/2 years long overdue (hey should been done in the 1990's lol)for the (N) line. Now lets not forget for the (D) Concourse line as well. Not counting Yankee Stadiumstation stop which was rebulit about a decade ago of course.

2014 huh? Not soon enough IMO...

I agree,they brag about having a surplus but when it comes to fixing the stations that really need the work,they put it in the back burner.these stations along the (N) line need the work sooner rather then later.

I look at that picture and I say to myself "That's just the steps...." !!!!

I rode the (N) a lot and I see these stations almost every day and these stations along with Chambers st and Bowery st need a complete rehab immedately since they look so horrible.

I feel sorry for you....

I still question why the Rockaway stations got renovated first when the Sea Beach stations serves far more people and are in just as bad shape.

lol... I agree w/ you....

....but you kinda answered your own question/concern.... since there's less people at the stations, there's virtually no riders inconvenienced...

that, and I still think it has something to do w/ the revitalization of the rockaways (in general) - they're tryna get ppl. to move down there w/ those new homes/condo's they're propping up, and the appearance of raggedy subway stations is not fin to help that cause....

Bravo! So in about 1 1/2 years long overdue (hey should been done in the 1990's lol)for the (N) line. Now lets not forget for the (D) Concourse line as well. Not counting Yankee Stadiumstation stop which was rebulit about a decade ago of course.

...Don't count Tremont Avenue on the (D) either since it also got rehabbed a decade ago.

I still question why the Rockaway stations got renovated first when the Sea Beach stations serves far more people and are in just as bad shape. October 2014? No, how about start it in October 2012?

I mean "$400 million" could cover the rehab of those stations.

I remember there was a Youtube user who commented on one of my videos who said renovations are done in areas of where Blacks/Hispanics/Asian first because these people (most) treat the stations like sh9t, while areas on the Brighton Line who got the renovation about a year or so treat it well. Mainly Whites treat them well. I don't play by race, I think its all about some folks don't know how to treat a station well, regardless of race.

I remember there was a Youtube user who commented on one of my videos who said renovations are done in areas of where Blacks/Hispanics/Asian first because these people (most) treat the stations like sh9t, while areas on the Brighton Line who got the renovation about a year or so treat it well. Mainly Whites treat them well. I don't play by race, I think its all about some folks don't know how to treat a station well, regardless of race.

it doesn't depend on race , it depends on how people are brought up. Some have manners and some act like animals.

mark: I dunno about how true that is. I won't get into that. But either way people shouldn't have to see decaying stations due to decades of neglect. Those stations have hardly been touched at all.

lol... I agree w/ you....

....but you kinda answered your own question/concern.... since there's less people at the stations, there's virtually no riders inconvenienced...

that, and I still think it has something to do w/ the revitalization of the rockaways (in general) - they're tryna get ppl. to move down there w/ those new homes/condo's they're propping up, and the appearance of raggedy subway stations is not fin to help that cause....

True, but with how the (N) is running on the West End line, you would think people would be used to the inconvenience. They could at least fix up the stations on one side at a time like with the Brighton line which has more riders.

Archived