Planned Subway Service Changes

This is the first time they're going to do these GO's with a full service (5) train... I'm guessing the (6) will get reduced service during this ordeal (corrections in parentheses and red text)

4.png(5.png)  New Lots Av/Flatbush Av-bound trains run local from Grand Central-42 St to Brooklyn Bridge

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Aug 19 - 21  •   Aug 26 - 28

6.png Brooklyn Bridge-bound trains skip 116, 110, 103, 96, 77, 68 and 51 Sts

Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Aug 18 - 21  •  Aug 25 - 28

I swear I thought they said they weren't going to lump East Side GO's along with the Clark Street tunnel closure... I mean, this GO isn't as bad as having two section (4) service and not having (5) trains in the Bronx at all, but it's still an additional inconvenience.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first time they're going to do these GO's with a full service (5) train... I'm guessing the (6) will get reduced service during this ordeal (corrections in parentheses and red text)

4.png(5.png)  New Lots Av/Flatbush Av-bound trains run local from Grand Central-42 St to Brooklyn Bridge

6.png Brooklyn Bridge-bound trains skip 116, 110, 103, 96, 77, 68 and 51 Sts

Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Aug 18 - 21  •  Aug 25 - 28

I swear I thought they said they weren't going to lump East Side GO's along with the Clark Street tunnel closure... I mean, this GO isn't as bad as having two section (4) service and not having (5) trains in the Bronx at all, but it's still an additional inconvenience.

I just rechecked the website and only the (4) is supposed to run local with the (6) . (5) is still going to be express.

I just rechecked the website and only the (4) is supposed to run local with the (6) . (5) is still going to be express.

Either way makes sense. I guess having the (4) local while keeping the (5) express will avoid long waits at local stops (they pretty much have to lengthen 6 headways by default because the 4 and 5 need all their trains between Manhattan and Brooklyn.)

But if the (5) went local as well, that would enable more work to be done simultaneously. Multiple work zones seem to be more of a Metro-North thing than a subway thing however, so you might be right.

Edited by paulrivera

Weekend changes for the month of August:

1 No service north of 137 St: Aug 5-7

2 No service north of E 180 St: Aug 5-7 and Aug 12-14

6 Split service at 125 St; Section 1, Pelham Bay Park to 125 St, Section 2, Brooklyn Bridge to 149-GC: Aug 5-7 

(A)(C) via Rutgers tube, both directions: Aug 12-14

(D) Split service; Section 1: 205 St to 2 Ave, Section 2: Atlantic Av to Coney Island: Aug 5-7

(E)(F) No service east of 71 Av, local service in Queens: Aug 5-7

(E) via 63 St, both directions, No service south of Herald Sq: Aug 19-21

(F) Brooklyn bound, via 53 St and Cranberry tunnel; Queens bound, via 53 St: Aug 19-21

(G) Split service at Bedford-Nostrand Avs; No service south of Hoyt-Schermerhorn: Aug 12-14

(J) No service east of Crescent St: Aug 12-14

(M) Reduced daytime service: Aug 5-6

(N) No service north of Queensboro Plaza: Aug 12-14, Aug 19-21, Aug 26-28

(N)(R) Brooklyn bound service via Manhattan Bridge: Aug 19-21

(R) No service east of Queens Plaza: Aug 5-7

(R) Service is extended to 179 St: Aug 19-20, Aug 26-27

I would have considered the weekend the 8th Avenue lines were going via the Rutgers tunnel would have been to have had the (D) replace the (C) as the Fulton Local to Euclid while the (C) replaced the (M) on the Broadway-Brooklyn Line to Broadway Junction (which I would do this way due to the (C) being 480' trains and the (D) being 600' trains).  You're able to then have the (C) combine routes with the (M) (which gets the entire weekend off) in this case.  

I would have considered the weekend the 8th Avenue lines were going via the Rutgers tunnel would have been to have had the (D) replace the (C) as the Fulton Local to Euclid while the (C) replaced the (M) on the Broadway-Brooklyn Line to Broadway Junction (which I would do this way due to the (C) being 480' trains and the (D) being 600' trains).  You're able to then have the (C) combine routes with the (M) (which gets the entire weekend off) in this case.  

So what the hell is on West End?

So what the hell is on West End?

The (D) is split already. Only the northern segment would run to Euclid Avenue.

Or prevent the trains from going out of their way to serve a vastly different terminal by swapping equipment.

The (D) could replace the (M), and the (C) would continue to Euclid Avenue as normal.

Edited by CenSin

Or prevent the trains from going out of their way to serve a vastly different terminal by swapping equipment.

The (D) could replace the (M), and the (C) would continue to Euclid Avenue as normal.

Or you know, we could just not do that and instead try to keep some semblance of order on the subways. Creativity is wonderful, but weekend service is confusing enough as it is. People just want to get places without requiring an advanced degree in transit planning. It's nice that you guys feel the need to create super-routes out of the truncated services, but really, if nobody knows what's going on, who does this actually benefit? And no, we don't count here.

Yeah you do realize 75 footers aren't allowed on the Eastern Division (J)(L)(M)(Z) Lines?

Except that the weekend the (A)(C) run via Rutgers (which is what Wally was addressing) is not the same weekend the (D) is in two sections.

I would have considered the weekend the 8th Avenue lines were going via the Rutgers tunnel would have been to have had the  (D) replace the  (C)as the Fulton Local to Euclid while the  (C) replaced the  (M) on the Broadway-Brooklyn Line to Broadway Junction (which I would do this way due to the  (C) being 480' trains and the  (D) being 600' trains).

(A)  (C) via Rutgers tube, both directions: Aug 12-14

(D) Split service; Section 1: 205 St to 2 Ave, Section 2: Atlantic Av to Coney Island: Aug 5-7

Yeah you do realize 75 footers aren't allowed on the Eastern Division (J)(L)(M)(Z) Lines?

Jumping the gun there, feller… That’s why I wrote this:

swapping equipment.

The (C) equipment can certainly make it to the Eastern Division.

The point is moot though because of this:

Except that the weekend the (A)(C) run via Rutgers (which is what Wally was addressing) is not the same weekend the (D) is in two sections.

Edited by CenSin

It's Monday, y'all....

Due to ongoing track work and construction between 8 Av and 86 St, southbound n.png trains are running on the d.png line from 36 St (Bklyn) to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Free Shuttle buses are running in both directions between 36 St (Bklyn) and Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Transfer between n.png trains and Shuttle buses at: 36 St (Bklyn) d.pngn.pngr.png and Coney Island-Stillwell Av d.pngf.pngn.pngq.png.

Expect delays in d.pngn.pngw.png train service.

Allow additional travel time.

• 2 weeks later...

W.png Astoria-bound trains skip 39 Av, 36 Av, Broadway and 30 Av

Days and Evenings, Mon to Fri, Aug 14 - 18

To/from these stations, take the N.png instead via transfer at Times Sq-42 St.

Note: No W.png trains between 57 St-7 Av and Ditmars Blvd from 10 AM to 3 PM, Mon to Fri, Aug 14 - 18
Edited by Daniel The Cool

N.png Coney Island-bound trains skip 28 St, 23 St, 8 St and Prince St

Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Aug 11 - 14  •  Aug 18 - 21  •  Aug 25 - 28

For service to these stations, take the N.png to 14 St-Union Sq or Canal St and
transfer to an uptown N.png, Q.pnglocal or R.png.

For service from these stations, take the N.pngQ.png or R.png to 14 St-Union Sq or 34 St-Herald Sq
and transfer to a Coney Island-bound N.png.

R.png Bay Ridge-bound trains skip Union St, 4 Av-9 St, 25 St and 45 St
Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Aug 11 - 14  •  Aug 18 - 21

For service to Union, 4 Av-9 Sts and 25 St, take the R.png to 36 St and transfer to a
local Manhattan-bound D.pngN.png or R.png.

For service from these stations, take the D.pngN.png or R.png to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and transfer
to a Bay Ridge-bound R.png.

For service to 45 St, take the R.png to 59 St and transfer to a Manhattan-bound N.pnglocal or R.png.

For service from this station, take the N.png or R.png to 36 St and transfer to a Bay Ridge-bound R.png.

Note: 53 St and Prospect Av are closed for renovation.

W.png Astoria-bound trains skip 39 Av, 36 Av, Broadway and 30 Av

Days and Evenings, Mon to Fri, Aug 14 - 18

To/from these stations, take the N.png instead via transfer at Times Sq-42 St.

Note: No W.png trains between 57 St-7 Av and Ditmars Blvd from 10 AM to 3 PM, Mon to Fri, Aug 14 - 18

Is there a related (N) change I don’t know about? Why are only Astoria-bound (W) trains running express?

Is there a related (N) change I don’t know about? Why are only Astoria-bound (W) trains running express?

N.png Some Astoria-bound trains skip 39 Av, 36 Av, Broadway and 30 Av

Rush Hour, 6:45 AM to 8:15 AM, Mon to Fri, Aug 14 - 18

For service to these stations, take an Astoria-bound N.png making these local stops. 

The Bay Ridge bound (R) is Broadway and 4th Av Express again!

R.png Bay Ridge-bound trains skip 28 St, 23 St, 8 St and Prince St
Weekends, Saturday and Sunday, Aug 12 - 13  •  Aug 19 - 20  •  Aug 26 - 27

For service to these stations, take the R.png to 14 St-Union Sq or Canal St and transfer to an 
uptown N.png or R.png.

For service from these stations, take the N.png or R.png to 14 St-Union Sq or 34 St-Herald Sq and 
transfer to a Bay Ridge-bound R.png.

R.png Bay Ridge-bound trains skip Union St, 4 Av-9 St, 25 St and 45 St 
Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Aug 11 - 14  •  Aug 18 - 21

For service to Union, 4 Av-9 Sts and 25 St, take the R.png to 36 St and transfer to a 
local Manhattan-bound D.png N.png or R.png.

For service from these stations, take the D.png N.png or R.png to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and transfer 
to a Bay Ridge-bound R.png.

For service to 45 St, take the R.png to 59 St and transfer to a Manhattan-bound N.png local or R.png.

For service from this station, take the N.png or R.png to 36 St and transfer to a Bay Ridge-bound R.png.

Note: 53 St and Prospect Av are closed for renovation.