Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would like one of those weekends where the (R) is Queens Boulevard express, Broadway express, via Manhattan Bridge, and 4 Avenue express

Ask and you shall receive. Next weekend, the (R) is running express from Parsons Blvd (F) all the way to 59 st/4 Ave via bridge, except for a stop at 49 st.

1otXEiP.jpg

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

Ask and you shall receive. Next weekend, the (R) is running express from Parsons Blvd (F) all the way to 59 st/4 Ave via bridge, except for a stop at 49 st.

1otXEiP.jpg

Is the (F) also running express then? Otherwise, it’d be an odd arrangement where the local is promoted to an express over an “express.”

the service change involving the (N) and (W) trains in Astoria could be caused by either

1- part of the construction seen at 36 Av

2- part of the weekend switch installation at Ditmars Blvd. Maybe the switch that allows northbound trains to switch to the southbound local track entering Ditmars Blvd (to track 1) will be locked in that all trains coming in from the local track have to continue straight to Ditmars Blvd and enter track 2, before pulling out. So (N) trains will pull in on track 2 and (W) trains will enter on track 1, hence (W) trains being the secondary Astoria service, will be doing the station skipping.

Edited by darkstar8983

I've got a new PDF for the cycle between August 18th-24th, 2017 on OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlW-ZYlueHvEhNUtdWLRfDvJ0jf3OQ

Some service updates have strayed columns to accommodate the increasing numbers of updates per line. Some may have changes that apply to multiple lines. Look for the Also (*) for those kinds of details.

I've got a new PDF for the cycle between August 18th-24th, 2017 on OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlW-ZYlueHvEhNUtdWLRfDvJ0jf3OQ

Some service updates have strayed columns to accommodate the increasing numbers of updates per line. Some may have changes that apply to multiple lines. Look for the Also (*) for those kinds of details.

This morning, I had a weird commute to Manhattan, first (R) trains were running to Jamaica 179 Street yet people still got off at Forest Hills. Then at Forest Hills, I got on an (F) train that went via 53 St/8 Av. Once I got off at 42 Street, the (F) was on the express track. I was like "What the heck is going on, is this what I get for not checking the weekender???" But I gotta say, this was a very interesting service change, but Manhattan bound (R) trains should run to 63 Street since they're running express this weekend

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Would like one of those weekends where the (R) is Queens Boulevard express, Broadway express, via Manhattan Bridge, and 4 Avenue express

The (R) this weekend is the Queens Blvd/59 Street/Broadway/Manhattan Bridge/4 Avenue Express in the Bay Ridge direction yet local on the Jamaica Bound direction

This morning, I had a weird commute to Manhattan, first (R) trains were running to Jamaica 179 Street yet people still got off at Forest Hills. Then at Forest Hills, I got on an (F) train that went via 53 St/8 Av. Once I got off at 42 Street, the (F) was on the express track. I was like "What the heck is going on, is this what I get for not checking the weekender???" But I gotta say, this was a very interesting service change, but Manhattan bound (R) trains should run to 63 Street since they're running express this weekend

The (R) this weekend is the Queens Blvd/59 Street/Broadway/Manhattan Bridge/4 Avenue Express in the Bay Ridge direction yet local on the Jamaica Bound direction

I don't include all long term service changes in my PDF. I think you're talking about the (F) going to C/I via 63rd but 179th via 53rd. 

That is confusing, and I tried to add more detail to that section with a spillover box.

I should probably do that.

Upcoming weekend planned service changes for September 2017

F&F_Pos_16.png
E.png Trains run via the F.png in both directions between W 4 St and 21 St-Queensbridge

Sep 15-18 11:45PM Fri to 5AM Mon  Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between court sq 23st and 21st queensbridge stopping at Queens plaza

J.png No trains between Crescent St and Jamaica Center

Sep 9-10,Sep 16-17 3:45AM Sat to 10PM Sun Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

F.png No trains between Church Av and Stillwell Av 

shuttle_bus.png Buses operate between Church Av and Stillwell Av*, stopping at Ditmas Av, 18 Av, Avenue I,
Bay Pkwy, Avenue N, Avenue P, Kings Hwy, Avenue U, Avenue X, Neptune Av and W 8 St.

From 8 AM to 10 PM, some buses operate between Church Av and Kings Hwy, Saturday and Sunday,
Sep 16 - 17.

D.png Service operates in two sections and is rerouted in Manhattan

F.pngN.pngQ.pngR.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Sep 15 - 18

No D.png service at 7 Av, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk, 34 St-Herald Sq, Grand St and DeKalb Av.

D.png service operates in two sections:
  1. Between 205 St and B'way-Lafayette St, and via the F.pngto/from 2 Av
      • Trains run via the A.png local in both directions between 125 St and W 4 St.
  2. Between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Stillwell Av

Trains skip Union St, 4 Av-9 St and 25 St in both directions.

shuttle_bus.png Buses operate between W 4 St and Grand St, stopping at B'way-Lafayette St.

5.png No trains between Gun Hill Rd and 241 St

shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Sep 15 - 18  •  Sep 22 - 25  •  Sep 29  •  Oct 2

5.png service operates between Flatbush Av and Gun Hill Rd.
shuttle_bus.png Buses operate between Gun Hill Rd and 241 St, stopping at 219, 225, 233 Sts, Nereid Av and 241 St.

• Transfer between trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Gun Hill Rd.

G.png No trains between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Court Sq

Sep 9-10

F&F_Pos_16.png

E.png Trains run via the F.png in both directions between W 4 St and 21 St-Queensbridge

Sep 15-18 11:45PM Fri to 5AM Mon Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between court sq 23st and 21st queensbridge stopping at Queens plaza

Sep 9-10,Sep 16-17 3:45AM Sat to 10PM Sun Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

shuttle_bus.png Buses operate between Church Av and Stillwell Av*, stopping at Ditmas Av, 18 Av, Avenue I,

Bay Pkwy, Avenue N, Avenue P, Kings Hwy, Avenue U, Avenue X, Neptune Av and W 8 St.

From 8 AM to 10 PM, some buses operate between Church Av and Kings Hwy, Saturday and Sunday,

Sep 16 - 17.

F.pngN.pngQ.pngR.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service

No D.png service at 7 Av, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk, 34 St-Herald Sq, Grand St and DeKalb Av.

Trains run via the A.png local in both directions between 125 St and W 4 St.

shuttle_bus.png Buses operate between W 4 St and Grand St, stopping at B'way-Lafayette St.

Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Sep 15 - 18 • Sep 22 - 25 • Sep 29 • Oct 2

shuttle_bus.png Buses operate between Gun Hill Rd and 241 St, stopping at 219, 225, 233 Sts, Nereid Av and 241 St.

Sep 9-10

That's a lot for one weekend

F&F_Pos_16.png

Sep 15-18 11:45PM Fri to 5AM Mon Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between court sq 23st and 21st queensbridge stopping at Queens plaza

Sep 16 - 17.

Trains run via the A.png local in both directions between 125 St and W 4 St.

Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Sep 15 - 18 • Sep 22 - 25 • Sep 29 • Oct 2

Sep 9-10

(5) to Gun Hill....I know where I will be soon.

So, another great day of riding the Astoria Line during midday hours. Seriously, it was a good commute, only, I have one comment. The (N) train was fast, worked well, and after I missed one at Queensboro, there was another one in 6 minutes, and it came with some seats available, per usual.

However, I couldn't help but notice the lack of any construction on the entire Astoria Line. The supposed reason why (W)'s aren't running up here. Neither direction was skipping any stops, and service was fast and efficent.

When I got out at Ditmars, I asked the T/O why (W)'s weren't running up here, and he laughed and said "Maybe to help the (Q) in Manhattan"

So, I'm curious, is the MTA pulling a Queens Blvd (G) and diverting midday (W) service just to help out the (Q) loads in the Upper Easr Side? I think the T/O was mainly joking, but (N) loads were fine, and no one is complaining on the SAS....

So, another great day of riding the Astoria Line during midday hours. Seriously, it was a good commute, only, I have one comment. The (N) train was fast, worked well, and after I missed one at Queensboro, there was another one in 6 minutes, and it came with some seats available, per usual.

However, I couldn't help but notice the lack of any construction on the entire Astoria Line. The supposed reason why (W)'s aren't running up here. Neither direction was skipping any stops, and service was fast and efficent.

When I got out at Ditmars, I asked the T/O why (W)'s weren't running up here, and he laughed and said "Maybe to help the (Q) in Manhattan"

So, I'm curious, is the MTA pulling a Queens Blvd (G) and diverting midday (W) service just to help out the (Q) loads in the Upper Easr Side? I think the T/O was mainly joking, but (N) loads were fine, and no one is complaining on the SAS....

That's a beautiful story you got there, though the MTA worker didn't explain why the (W) was only in Manhattan

That's a beautiful story you got there, though the MTA worker didn't explain why the (W) was only in Manhattan

No, I didn't want to interogate him, I was simply curious and asked him a friendly question.

There was a switch problem at Ditmars most of the day up until about 4pm. At one point there was no service.

Wednesday through Friday has the (N) express from Queensboro to Ditmars and (W) via 2nd Ave

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

The 6th Avenue Shutdown G.O is back.

D.png Service is rerouted in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Sep 8 - 11

No D.png service at 7 Av, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk, 34 St-Herald Sq, B'way-Lafayette St and Grand St.

D.pngservice operates between 205 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle, then via the A.png express to/from
Jay St-MetroTech, and via the F.png to/from Stillwell Av.

F.png* trains are rerouted via the Q.png express in Manhattan and replace the D.png in Brooklyn between
Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Stillwell Av.

Show Shuttle Bus Stops

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png
For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the F.pngN.pngQ.png or R.png.
  • Transfer between D.png and F.pngN.pngQ.pngR.png trains at 42 St-Port Authority/Times Sq-42 St.
  • Transfer between D.png and N.png* R.png  trains at Jay St-MetroTech and 4 Av-9 St.

The 6th Avenue Shutdown G.O is back.

D.png Service is rerouted in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Sep 8 - 11

No D.png service at 7 Av, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk, 34 St-Herald Sq, B'way-Lafayette St and Grand St.

D.pngservice operates between 205 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle, then via the A.png express to/from

Jay St-MetroTech, and via the F.png to/from Stillwell Av.

F.png* trains are rerouted via the Q.png express in Manhattan and replace the D.png in Brooklyn between

Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Stillwell Av.

Show Shuttle Bus Stops

For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the F.pngN.pngQ.png or R.png.

• Transfer between D.png and F.pngN.pngQ.pngR.png trains at 42 St-Port Authority/Times Sq-42 St.

• Transfer between D.png and N.png* R.png  trains at Jay St-MetroTech and 4 Av-9 St.

And of course, its the day I'd actually need the (D) to Herald Square...  <_<

E.png No trains between W 4 St and World Trade Center
A.png trains provide alternate service

Weekend, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Sep 22 - 25

E.png trains run via the F.png after W 4 St and to/from 2 Av, the last stop.

For Spring St*, Canal St and World Trade Center (Chambers St), take the A.png or C.png instead.

• Transfer between trains at W 4 St.

*This detour has taken into account additional information that may affect your trip.

R.png No trains between 36 St, Brooklyn and 95 St
     No late night service

N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service

R.png service operates between 71 Av and 36 St, Brooklyn and via the D.pngto/from 9 Av, days and evenings.

For late night service between Whitehall St and 59 St, Brooklyn, take the N.png instead.

shuttle_bus.png Buses make all stops between 36 St and 95 St, all weekend.

N.png trains stop at 45 St* and 59 St.

• Transfer between D.pngN.pngR.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at 36 St.
• Transfer between N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at 59 St.

Show Shuttle Bus Stops

Station Shuttle Bus Stop 36 St D.pngN.pngR.png 4 Av at 36 St 45 St N.png 4 Av at 45 St 53 St 4 Av at 53 St 59 St N.png   &nbsp 4 Av at 59 St Bay Ridge Av 4 Av at Bay Ridge Av 77 St 4 Av at 77 St 86 St 4 Av at 86 St 95 St 5 Av at 95 St

*This detour has taken into account additional planned service changes.

E.png No trains between W 4 St and World Trade Center

A.png trains provide alternate service

E.png trains run via the F.png after W 4 St and to/from 2 Av, the last stop.

For Spring St*, Canal St and World Trade Center (Chambers St), take the A.png or C.png instead.

• Transfer between trains at W 4 St.

*This detour has taken into account additional information that may affect your trip.

I remember this GO when the (E) had R42s. I loved seeing Second Avenue on the rollsigns.

R.png No trains between 36 St, Brooklyn and 95 St

No late night service

N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service

R.png service operates between 71 Av and 36 St, Brooklyn and via the D.pngto/from 9 Av, days and evenings.

For late night service between Whitehall St and 59 St, Brooklyn, take the N.png instead.

shuttle_bus.png Buses make all stops between 36 St and 95 St, all weekend.

N.png trains stop at 45 St* and 59 St.

• Transfer between D.pngN.pngR.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at 36 St.

• Transfer between N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at 59 St.

Show Shuttle Bus Stops

Station Shuttle Bus Stop 36 St D.pngN.pngR.png 4 Av at 36 St 45 St N.png 4 Av at 45 St 53 St 4 Av at 53 St 59 St N.png   &nbsp 4 Av at 59 St Bay Ridge Av 4 Av at Bay Ridge Av 77 St 4 Av at 77 St 86 St 4 Av at 86 St 95 St 5 Av at 95 St

*This detour has taken into account additional planned service changes.

I bet money one of the walls will be taken down like 53rd Street that weekend.

Here's for the whole month of September:

(2) No service North of East 180 St: Sep 2-4

(5) No service between Nereid Av and 241 St: Sep 2-4

(5) No service North of East 180 St: Sep 9-10

(5) No service North of Gun Hill Road: Sep 16-17, Sep 23-24, Sep 30-Oct 1

(D) via 8 Avenue Exp, Cranberry Tunnel, and Culver, both directions; No service on 6 Av: Sep 9-10

(D) Split Service; Section 1: 205 and 2nd Ave, Section 2: Atlantic Av and Stillwell Av; No service on 6 Av: Sep 16-17

(E) via 63 St, both directions: Sep 16-17, Sep 23-24

(E) No service between West 4 St and WTC: Sep 23-24

(E) and (F) Local in Queens; Manhattan bound, Sep 16-17, Jamaica bound: Sep 23-24

(F) via Broadway Exp, Manhattan Bridge and West End, both directions; No service on 6 Av: Sep 9-10

(F) No service South of Church Av: Sep 16-17, Sep 23-24

(G) Split service at Bedford-Nostrand Avs; No service south of Hoyt-Schermerhorn: Sep 2-4

(G) No service North of Bedford-Nostrand Avs: Sep 9-10

(J) No service East of Crescent St: Sep 23-24

(L) Split service at Broadway Junction: Sep 23-24

(M) Service extended to Chambers St: Sep 9-10

(N) No service North of Queensboro Plaza: Sep 2-4, Sep 9-10

(N) via Montague Tunnel, both directions, local service in Brooklyn: Sep 9-10

(R) Service extended to 179 St: Sep 9-10

(R) No service South of 36 St (Brooklyn); No late night service: Sep 23-24

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Planned Work

3.png Service operates between 148 St and 34 St-Penn Station

Late Nights, 11:45 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Aug 28 - Sep 1

What's this about?

Due to the (1)(2) running express from 72 St to Times Square, the (3) is running to Penn Station to avoid backing up the other two services. Edited by S78 via Hylan