Planned Subway Service Changes

1 minute ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think now they're doing this because the (2) has to run every 8 minutes weekends, and therefore needs a stable terminal, while the (3) runs as a supplement (every 12 minutes) and could get by with a temporary terminus. There is also a limitation as to how many trains can turn at 148 St, stemming from the fact that 145 St is the preceding station and has that rule about any train that is not the (3) bypass it because of its door-opening procedures.

The (2) and (3) Train G.Os are separate ones. The (2) Train one is for the overnights from that Tuesday until that Friday while the (3) Train one is for the weekend. Both are for different types of work.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen this one in a long time. This time, there will be no service between Myrtle Av and Crescent, effectively isolating the eastern end from the East New York yard. As always, I'm surprised they just didn't extend the (M) to Broad St for this service change. Oh well.

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

Haven't seen this one in a long time. This time, there will be no service between Myrtle Av and Crescent, effectively isolating the eastern end from the East New York yard. As always, I'm surprised they just didn't extend the (M) to Broad St for this service change. Oh well.

That's what I was thinking. They did the same exact thing with the (4) to 180th one weekend and then switch the G.O to the (5) to Crown Heights the next weekend to reduce confusion. Why not just have them be (M) trains...

Well, hopefully by now, there are route options for the (J) to and from Metropolitan Av on the 160s/179s. That's what killed that (4) to E 180 Street GO last year. There was no route option in the system, resulting in either blank displays in the Bronx or running them as (5) trains when that line was supposed to be completely suspended.

1 minute ago, Lance said:

Well, hopefully by now, there are route options for the (J) to and from Metropolitan Av on the 160s/179s. That's what killed that (4) to E 180 Street GO last year. There was no route option in the system, resulting in either blank displays in the Bronx or running them as (5) trains when that line was supposed to be completely suspended.

I wonder whats so hard about adding or removing route programs in the first place...almost all the train sets go to a yard within the week so why not do the programs then instead of doing it in one massive update.

If I'm not mistaken, that is how the automated announcement system is updated, on a train by train basis. The problem is catching those trains while they're being serviced to install the update. Makes you long for the time when these updates can be done wirelessly instead of the current setup.

I think they're calling them (J) trains so that on Nassau Street, the "normal" service remains, since a lot of tourists use it now and the (M) isn't a Nassau Street service anymore...

I can imagine a big hullabaloo where people who don't know much about the subway (particularly at Fulton and Broad) get confused when the signs in the stations say the (J)(Z) and nothing but (M) trains are coming through.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I think they're calling them (J) trains so that on Nassau Street, the "normal" service remains, since a lot of tourists use it now and the (M) isn't a Nassau Street service anymore...

I can imagine a big hullabaloo where people who don't know much about the subway (particularly at Fulton and Broad) get confused when the signs in the stations say the (J)(Z) and nothing but (M) trains are coming through.

It's always interesting watching people waiting for trains that won't arrive. (Like when the (A) and (C) are running on the (F) line between West 4th st and Jay street, and you have people at Spring St and Canal St letting (E) trains go by)

Or when all trains are running express due to track work and people get off, and wait for the "local" train. lol

Edited by N6 Limited

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, Around the Horn said:

I see your point.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, N6 Limited said:

It's always interesting watching people waiting for trains that won't arrive. (Like when the (A) and (C) are running on the (F) line between West 4th st and Jay street, and you have people at Spring St and Canal St letting (E) trains go by)

Or when all trains are running express due to track work and people get off, and wait for the "local" train. lol

Part of that is a lack of usable information. If riders aren't properly informed of the service changes, you get cases such as these where riders are waiting for trains that will never arrive. Also, because few riders are familiar with the entire system, they don't know they could take another line to get to their destinations, rather than waiting around until the end of time.

Of course, the other part is due to some riders just being oblivious, which there isn't much that can be done to combat. If some people want to live in their own worlds, ignorant to their surroundings, well, there is little one can do to help.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

Of course, the other part is due to some riders just being oblivious, which there isn't much that can be done to combat. If some people want to live in their own worlds, ignorant to their surroundings, well, there is little one can do to help.

Many times there are Service Change posters right on the beam nearest them, or the conductor made announcements explaining the changes.

Example:

Service Change 59th St CPW Uptown

Conductor of (C) which pulled in on the Express TrackThere is no uptown local service, all trains are running Express to 125th Street. If you are going to bypassed stations transfer at 125th street for a downtown local train"

Uninformed Passengers: "Let me look down the tracks to see if a local (C) is coming"

On 6/25/2018 at 2:53 PM, Around the Horn said:

I don't understand why there just can't be an LED/LCD sign that would say what service is serving what station at any particular moment and if not, a brief explaination to a service change, for example:

Friday- Myrtle Avenue - 4:45 PM (J)(M)(Z)

9:30 PM (J)(M)

Saturday -         11:15 AM (J) ; No (M) train service today. 

or Friday 77 Street - Uptown (6)

Saturday 77 Street - No Uptown service; use downtown (6)

Also, how many weekends will this (J) to Metropolitan occur for?

On 6/28/2018 at 3:14 PM, LGA Link N train said:

I don't understand why there just can't be an LED/LCD sign that would say what service is serving what station at any particular moment and if not, a brief explaination to a service change, for example:

It's not a question of can't...it's a question of how fast the sign will be destroyed or unsync with the network and not be fixed for 6 months...🤨

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, LGA Link N train said:

In theory, they could use those Outfront ad signs at the entrances of some stations for this use, but not every station has one of these displays and even for the stations that do, they aren't at every entrance.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, LGA Link N train said:

It looks like this is only in place for one weekend.

Shifting gears, starting July 9th, there will be no Flushing express service between 74 St-Broadway and Queensboro Plaza in both directions.

STRUCTURAL IMPROVEMENTS | Jul 9 - 27, Mon to Fri, 6 AM to 10 AM and 3 PM to 10 PM
<7> Express trains make local stops in both directions at 33, 40, 46, 52, 69 and 74 Sts

Rush hour <7> express service will run between Mets-Willets Point and 74 St-Broadway

For Midtown Manhattan, consider (E) and (F) service via transfer at 74 St-Broadway/Roosevelt Av.

Edited by Lance

33 minutes ago, Lance said:

In theory, they could use those Outfront ad signs at the entrances of some stations for this use, but not every station has one of these displays and even for the stations that do, they aren't at every entrance.

It looks like this is only in place for one weekend.

Shifting gears, starting July 9th, there will be no Flushing express service between 74 St-Broadway and Queensboro Plaza in both directions.

That's not an express then...just run every (7) local and call it a day...

6th Ave line will be shutdown this weekend

F service operates between Jamaica-179 St and Lexington Av-63 St and via the  Q express to/ from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr (skipping DeKalb Av, days and evenings) and via the D to Stillwell Av.

After 10:45 PM, Manhattan-bound F trains operate via the N from Stillwell Av to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.

D trains are rerouted via the A in Manhattan and replace the F in Brooklyn between Jay St-MetroTech and Stillwell Av.

Shuttle Buses operate along two routes:
  1. Between W 4 St and East Broadway, stopping at B'way-Lafayette St, 2 Av and Delancey St-Essex St.
  2. Between Jay St-MetroTech and York St.

Shuttle buses replace D train service from W 4 St to Grand Street, Stopping at B'way-Lafayette St

No Manhattan bound D service from Stillwell Ave to 36th street 

N trains operate via the r line between Atlantic Ave Barclays Center and Canal Street in both directions stopping at Dekalb Av, Jay St-MetroTech, Court, Whitehall, Rector, Cortlandt street and city hall

Starting Friday, July 20th at 9:30 PM, (J) trains will operate in two sections:

1.) Between Broad Street and Myrtle Avenue, then via the (M) to Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue.

2.) Between Crescent Street and Jamaica Center–Parsons Boulevard/Archer Avenue.

There will be no (J) trains in revenue service between Myrtle Avenue and Crescent Street in both directions from Friday, July 20th at 9:30 PM to Monday, July 23rd at 5:00 AM.

5 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Starting Friday, July 20th, 2018 at 9:30 PM, (J) trains will operate in two sections:

1.) Between Broad Street and Myrtle Avenue, then via the (M) to/from Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue.

2.) Between Crescent Street and Jamaica Center–Parsons Boulevard/Archer Avenue.

There will be no (J) trains in revenue service between Myrtle Avenue and Crescent Street in both directions from Friday, July 20th, 2018 at 9:30 PM to Monday, July 23rd, 2018 at 5:00 AM.

For all the railfans, get your RFW footage when you can, because the ol' brown (M) will be in town the weekend of July 20th–23rd, operating between Broad Street and Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue. (This is assuming at least one set of R32s or one set of R42s is kept in rotation on the western portion of this G.O.)

The MTA must be afraid of lawsuits now because they actually have on their planned service changes page that the last (R) train for Forest Hills will operate on the (Q) and (F) . Honestly I think this is one detail that really isn't necessary but that's my thought.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

9 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The MTA must be afraid of lawsuits now because they actually have on their planned service changes page that the last (R) train for Forest Hills will operate on the (Q) and (F) . Honestly I think this is one detail that really isn't necessary but that's my thought.

And why exactly isn't it necessary? So a passenger is on an (R) train and suddenly it's going a different way and passengers are just supposed to guess this? How else are they supposed to know? 

Through clairvoyance apparently. I don't get that logic either. The (R) usually runs through 60th Street. Due to the late night tunnel closure, the last few trains have to run through 63rd Street, impacting riders looking for 5 Avenue, Lexington Av and Queens Plaza. Even if it only affects a few riders, it's still a notable service changes for those affected, thus requiring a mention on the service alerts.

40 minutes ago, Lance said:

Through clairvoyance apparently. I don't get that logic either. The (R) usually runs through 60th Street. Due to the late night tunnel closure, the last few trains have to run through 63rd Street, impacting riders looking for 5 Avenue, Lexington Av and Queens Plaza. Even if it only affects a few riders, it's still a notable service changes for those affected, thus requiring a mention on the service alerts.

Somebody didn't get your sarcasm... :lol: