Planned Subway Service Changes

There's probably some kind of coding in place at RCC that automatically changes those internal route codes into the correct ones for the in-station clocks. What's being sent out to SubwayTime and the third-party apps obviously does not have this fix, resulting in these quirks. And they were doing so well...

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand why they aren't sending the (2) to 137th St. In my opinion, this option would allow an easier lay up process. 

And also, I think they should split the (5) in the Bronx during this weekend as well, Dyre Av to East 180th St and 241st St to Flatbush.

And for the reasoning why they didn't want to suspend (2) service is because people would still wait for the (2) , that's a terrible reason. When they suspend the (3) , people know that the (3) isn't running and almost every single passenger on the A divison looks at the countdown clock when they enter the platform, and if all they see are (1) trains, along with constant announcements saying the (2) and (3) isn't running, I'm pretty sure they will know the (2) isn't running.

Edited by Lawrence St

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I still don't understand why they aren't sending the (2) to 137th St. In my opinion, this option would allow an easier lay up process. 

And also, I think they should split the (5) in the Bronx during this weekend as well, Dyre Av to East 180th St and 241st St to Flatbush.

And for the reasoning why they didn't want to suspend (2) service is because people would still wait for the (2) , that's a terrible reason. When they suspend the (3) , people know that the (3) isn't running and almost every single passenger on the A divison looks at the countdown clock when they enter the platform, and if all they see are (1) trains, along with constant announcements saying the (2) and (3) isn't running, I'm pretty sure they will know the (2) isn't running.

Actually, it just makes the trip longer with no real benefits. If I'm not mistaken, the (2) trains relay using the middle track at 103 Street. Moving the terminal to City College just moves the relay point to just south of 145 St-Broadway. It would give the riders between 137 Street and 96 Street additional service, but with both running to South Ferry, there's no variety in services here.

As for splitting up the Bronx services, that's essentially what they did, just labeling the shuttle as (2) trains since that's what the official schedules call them. The (5) always runs to 241 Street when Lenox Ave service is suspended with Dyre Ave service relegated to shuttle status. Upper White Plains Rd is the more demanding service, hence why it always receives direct service to/from Manhattan.

Finally, if you suspend the (2) along with the (3), the (1) will be absolutely slammed with 7th Avenue riders along with anyone displaced by whatever's happening on Central Park West at the time. The (3) is a supplemental line, more so since it only runs between 148 Street and 14 Street. It makes sense to suspend it when work necessitates it. The (2) even shortened to run between South Ferry and 96 Street, is still a primary line because it along with the (1) carry the bulk of 7th Avenue ridership.

58 minutes ago, Lance said:

Actually, it just makes the trip longer with no real benefits. If I'm not mistaken, the (2) trains relay using the middle track at 103 Street. Moving the terminal to City College just moves the relay point to just south of 145 St-Broadway. It would give the riders between 137 Street and 96 Street additional service, but with both running to South Ferry, there's no variety in services here.

As for splitting up the Bronx services, that's essentially what they did, just labeling the shuttle as (2) trains since that's what the official schedules call them. The (5) always runs to 241 Street when Lenox Ave service is suspended with Dyre Ave service relegated to shuttle status. Upper White Plains Rd is the more demanding service, hence why it always receives direct service to/from Manhattan.

Finally, if you suspend the (2) along with the (3), the (1) will be absolutely slammed with 7th Avenue riders along with anyone displaced by whatever's happening on Central Park West at the time. The (3) is a supplemental line, more so since it only runs between 148 Street and 14 Street. It makes sense to suspend it when work necessitates it. The (2) even shortened to run between South Ferry and 96 Street, is still a primary line because it along with the (1) carry the bulk of 7th Avenue ridership.

If I may counter argue your last point,

The only difference between the (1) and (2) on 7th Av is that the (2) runs express between Penn Station and 96th St, while the (1) does not. Other then that, the (2) is literally a shortened (1) train. 

I've ridden these (2) trains last week, they are near empty! Most riders, if coming from below 42nd St, only use the (2) to get to Times Sq and take the (S) to the (5). The other majority of riders above 42ns St either transfer to the (1) regardless, or take the shuttle buses and 96th St.

If we were to suspend the (2), here are the good things that would come from it:

- The extra cars from the (2) would go to the (1), boosting service as needed and elimiating the need for switching at 34th St as well as the need to relay trains at 103rd St.

- Passengers now have the option of taking the (1) to 116th St, where the M60 is available for service to Lenox, CPW and Lexington Av.

- Eliminates the confusion between what train is running express and local.

- Eliminates the confusion at 96th St as to why the (2) is terminating here and where shuttle buses are, further delaying service to relay.

If I may counter your counterpoint...:P

Just because the (2) trains you rode on were empty, it does not mean every (2) train ran with no passengers. Besides, even if you were to completely suspend the (2) and run those trains as (1) trains, where will they run? Will they run all the way to 242 Street or will they be truncated somewhere else along the line? If it's the latter as is more likely since running double service between 242 Street and South Ferry would be overkill, you're running the risk of confusing the riders even more than they already are. As you and everyone else on this forum are aware, the average rider does not have knowledge of every short turn and switch location, nor do they really care. Beyond actually just suspending service and running truncated trains, you have to educate riders to the service changes. Stating that (2) train service is suspended between E 180 Street and 96 Street and that riders should use shuttle buses provided for service between the Bronx and Manhattan is easier to convey than it is to inform said riders that a) (2) service is completely suspended in Manhattan and b) some (1) trains are terminating at 96 Street / 137 Street / wherever because internally, they are in fact shortened (2) trains.

As for your other points concerning certain stops and shuttle buses, that will not change whether the service change is done as it is presently or under your proposal. Riders can still take the M60 Select at 116 Street via the (1) and passengers will continue to wonder where the shuttle buses are being staged if their destinations are along Lenox Ave or in the Bronx. Removing the (2) from  the equation does not make a difference here.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

If I may counter your counterpoint...:P

Just because the (2) trains you rode on were empty, it does not mean every (2) train ran with no passengers. Besides, even if you were to completely suspend the (2) and run those trains as (1) trains, where will they run? Will they run all the way to 242 Street or will they be truncated somewhere else along the line? If it's the latter as is more likely since running double service between 242 Street and South Ferry would be overkill, you're running the risk of confusing the riders even more than they already are. As you and everyone else on this forum are aware, the average rider does not have knowledge of every short turn and switch location, nor do they really care. Beyond actually just suspending service and running truncated trains, you have to educate riders to the service changes. Stating that (2) train service is suspended between E 180 Street and 96 Street and that riders should use shuttle buses provided for service between the Bronx and Manhattan is easier to convey than it is to inform said riders that a) (2) service is completely suspended in Manhattan and b) some (1) trains are terminating at 96 Street / 137 Street / wherever because internally, they are in fact shortened (2) trains.

As for your other points concerning certain stops and shuttle buses, that will not change whether the service change is done as it is presently or under your proposal. Riders can still take the M60 Select at 116 Street via the (1) and passengers will continue to wonder where the shuttle buses are being staged if their destinations are along Lenox Ave or in the Bronx. Removing the (2) from  the equation does not make a difference here.

If I may counter your counter argument to my counter argument :P :

False, when they were doing that (J) / (M) G.O a couple of weeks ago, they completely suspended (M) service and had those extra (J) trains turning around at Broadway Junction, internally as (M) trips. I make this same point for the weekend (M) as well, it's essentially a shortened (J) train, and they would be better off suspending (M) service on weekends and using those cars to add extra trips to the (J) .

And my plan would actually help improve operations a lot.

Edited by Lawrence St

6 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

False, when they were doing that (J) / (M) G.O a couple of weeks ago, they completely suspended (M) service and had those extra (J) trains turning around at Broadway Junction, internally as (M) trips. I make this same point for the weekend (M) as well, it's essentially a shortened (J) train, and they would be better off suspending (M) service on weekends and using those cars to add extra trips to the (J) .

What's the difference between suspending a route and replacing it with "extra service" with another line? You still get confused riders either way.

At least with a shortened route, you at least get less people cursing out the damn system for anything and everything.

I find it dumb the (2) still runs local between Times Square and Chambers during this suspension when the (3) is not running, thus there are no trains holding them up on the express tracks at 14th Street, meaning it can run express on the entire 7th Avenue segment instead of just north of Times Square which only saves 3-4 minutes from the local. I also find it dumb the (2) and (5) need to switch routes north of East 180th Street during the Clark Street Tunnel closure being that the Dyre Avenue Line is not much shorter than the northern White Plains Road Line. In fact, it only takes about 4-6 extra minutes for a train to travel between East 180th and Wakefield compared to one traveling between East 180th and Dyre, hence it should not be a huge problem for train crews.

Another G.O. I find dumb even though it provides great photo/video opportunities is the (D) and (F) swap in Brooklyn. it causes massive confusion for riders, especially since Grand Street, Sunset Park and West End Line have many riders who do not understand English. If the TA needs to do work on the 7th Avenue-53rd Street area, they should leave the (F) alone and run the (D) in two sections: between the Bronx and via the (C) after 59th Street and (F) after West 4th Street to 2nd Avenue, and between Brooklyn and West 4th Street/Broadway-Lafayette Street on its normal route. Heck the (D) can even run to 96th Street/2nd Avenue if there is no work being done on the 6th Avenue express tracks.

Another G.O. I do not get, how come on weekends when there is an express reroute on the Woodlawn Line, some (4) trains terminate at 125th while on weekdays for same reroute all (4) trains can go to Woodlawn? Waiting 16+ minutes for a train on an entire line can be a huge pain. and why have (4) trains been running local in Manhattan on weekends lately while the (5) can still run express?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

This was during the New Years' 53rd Street closure. If I recall correctly, people were so confused by the mislabeled (J) trains that an internal memo went out to call the short turns as (M) trains.

1 hour ago, FlushingExpress said:

I find it dumb the (2) still runs local between Times Square and Chambers during this suspension when the (3) is not running, thus there are no trains holding them up on the express tracks at 14th Street, meaning it can run express on the entire 7th Avenue segment instead of just north of Times Square which only saves 3-4 minutes from the local. I also find it dumb the (2) and (5) need to switch routes north of East 180th Street during the Clark Street Tunnel closure being that the Dyre Avenue Line is not much shorter than the northern White Plains Road Line. In fact, it only takes about 4-6 extra minutes for a train to travel between East 180th and Wakefield compared to one traveling between East 180th and Dyre, hence it should not be a huge problem for train crews.

Another G.O. I find dumb even though it provides great photo/video opportunities is the (D) and (F) swap in Brooklyn. it causes massive confusion for riders, especially since Grand Street, Sunset Park and West End Line have many riders who do not understand English. If the TA needs to do work on the 7th Avenue-53rd Street area, they should leave the (F) alone and run the (D) in two sections: between the Bronx and via the (C) after 59th Street and (F) after West 4th Street to 2nd Avenue, and between Brooklyn and West 4th Street/Broadway-Lafayette Street on its normal route. Heck the (D) can even run to 96th Street/2nd Avenue if there is no work being done on the 6th Avenue express tracks.

Another G.O. I do not get, how come on weekends when there is an express reroute on the Woodlawn Line, some (4) trains terminate at 125th while on weekdays for same reroute all (4) trains can go to Woodlawn? Waiting 16+ minutes for a train on an entire line can be a huge pain. and why have (4) trains been running local in Manhattan on weekends lately while the (5) can still run express?

The (2) continues to run local as that is presently the normal weekend service. The (2) is scheduled to run local between Times Square and Chambers St on weekends and it makes no sense to further complicate an already complicated service change. Regarding the (2) / (5) swap in the Bronx, it's done both to keep to keep the service between terminals the same and so the train crews travel the same distance on their routes. Normal weekday service on the (2) runs from 241 Street to Flatbush Av. With Clark St closed on the weekends, the (5), extended to Flatbush Av, must run to 241 Street to provide similar service. On the crew side, while Dyre Ave and upper White Plains Rd are almost equidistant lengths, the length of the total route between terminals for the (2) and (5) are not. Dyre Av to South Ferry is almost the same as Dyre Av to Bowling Green, hence why it runs as a (2) train. Ditto for the current (5) runs.

As for the (D) / (F) switcheroo, it's being done to give both the West End and Culver lines continuous service between Manhattan and Brooklyn. The previous service change where the (D) ran via 8th Avenue to the World Trade Center or 2 Avenue split the line and forced riders to change for the (N) trains, which usually have to run local in Brooklyn to accommodate the all-times express (D) along 4th Avenue terminating at Atlantic Av, for continuing service. Under the present service change, nobody loses their ride to/from Manhattan.

Finally, some (4) trains are terminating at 125 Street during Jerome Ave work to avoid a conga line in the Bronx. Those trains running express between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Burnside Av are likely not flying past the local stops at 70mph. Rather than have trains on top of each other due to flagging slowdowns, it makes much more sense to turn some trains some place else where they won't get in the way. That's partly why the (4) will run local in Manhattan when the (5) runs express, though when that happens, usually the (5) is also running local for part of the line due to track work on the northern half of Lexington Ave.

21 minutes ago, Lance said:

This was during the New Years' 53rd Street closure. If I recall correctly, people were so confused by the mislabeled (J) trains that an internal memo went out to call the short turns as (M) trains.

The (2) continues to run local as that is presently the normal weekend service. The (2) is scheduled to run local between Times Square and Chambers St on weekends and it makes no sense to further complicate an already complicated service change. Regarding the (2) / (5) swap in the Bronx, it's done both to keep to keep the service between terminals the same and so the train crews travel the same distance on their routes. Normal weekday service on the (2) runs from 241 Street to Flatbush Av. With Clark St closed on the weekends, the (5), extended to Flatbush Av, must run to 241 Street to provide similar service. On the crew side, while Dyre Ave and upper White Plains Rd are almost equidistant lengths, the length of the total route between terminals for the (2) and (5) are not. Dyre Av to South Ferry is almost the same as Dyre Av to Bowling Green, hence why it runs as a (2) train. Ditto for the current (5) runs.

As for the (D) / (F) switcheroo, it's being done to give both the West End and Culver lines continuous service between Manhattan and Brooklyn. The previous service change where the (D) ran via 8th Avenue to the World Trade Center or 2 Avenue split the line and forced riders to change for the (N) trains, which usually have to run local in Brooklyn to accommodate the all-times express (D) along 4th Avenue terminating at Atlantic Av, for continuing service. Under the present service change, nobody loses their ride to/from Manhattan.

Finally, some (4) trains are terminating at 125 Street during Jerome Ave work to avoid a conga line in the Bronx. Those trains running express between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Burnside Av are likely not flying past the local stops at 70mph. Rather than have trains on top of each other due to flagging slowdowns, it makes much more sense to turn some trains some place else where they won't get in the way. That's partly why the (4) will run local in Manhattan when the (5) runs express, though when that happens, usually the (5) is also running local for part of the line due to track work on the northern half of Lexington Ave.

When did this memo go out? I could've sworn that for the whole week, all of those (M) trains were signed up as (J) trains.

But I can see why passengers got confused, all of the countdown clocks along Nassau still displayed (M) trains to both Broadway Junction and Essex St, when a (J) train would actually pull into the station.

And to whoever said that my idea would only confuse people more, it's the opposite. This would make this G.O a lot more easier to understand. Take a look at these planned service changes poster I made compared to the real one:

My plan:

(2)No trains between South Ferry & East 180 St

Weekend, March 30th to April 1st

(1)(5) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service.

(2) trains operate between Dyre Av and East 180 St, the last stop.

(1) trains make all (2) stops between South Ferry and 96 St, running local. Some 242 St-bound (1) trains will end at 137 St.

(5) trains make all (2) stops between 241 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse.

*No (3) trains at this time.

Their plan:

(2)No trains between 96 St & East 180 St

(5) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service.

(2) trains operate in two sections:

Dyre Av to East 180 St

96 St to South Ferry, running express between 96 St & 34 St-Penn Station.

You tell me which is more confusing.

57 minutes ago, Lance said:

Actually when they did the (D) split G.O, they were doing work on the Bridge and Grand Street as well which was why they had the (D) Train run in two sections. The (D)(F) swap actually eliminates the need of another old somewhat common G.O when they had (D) Trains run in two sections running local via 8th Avenue southbound ending at 2nd Avenue while the trains from Coney Island Island ended at West 4th Street. 

5 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Actually when they did the (D) split G.O, they were doing work on the Bridge and Grand Street as well which was why they had the (D) Train run in two sections. The (D)(F) swap actually eliminates the need of another old somewhat common G.O when they had (D) Trains run in two sections running local via 8th Avenue southbound ending at 2nd Avenue while the trains from Coney Island Island ended at West 4th Street. 

Way back in the day (and I mean way back, like the ‘80s), when they did these (D) GOs during late nights, they’d run the (D) through Chrystie to Essex, reverse, and through the Nassau Loop to Brooklyn. I think those were the last revenue moves through Chrystie before the orange (M).  

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Their plan:

(2)No trains between 96 St & East 180 St

(5) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service.

(2) trains operate in two sections:

Dyre Av to East 180 St

96 St to South Ferry, running express between 96 St & 34 St-Penn Station.

You tell me which is more confusing.

The MTA was pretty sneaky on this service change. After 10-ish, there was no (2) train service until the next morning. Additionally, when the trains were suppose to run, I saw one just going down to South Ferry NIS. I think that if they mentioned to take the (1) , people would be up in arms and/or complain about the lack of service. With this change, they don't have to worry about it as much. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The MTA was pretty sneaky on this service change. After 10-ish, there was no (2) train service until the next morning. Additionally, when the trains were suppose to run, I saw one just going down to South Ferry NIS. I think that if they mentioned to take the (1) , people would be up in arms and/or complain about the lack of service. With this change, they don't have to worry about it as much. 

I mean I can see why, the late night (2) is literally, as I said, a (1) !!

Take a look at this more detailed service change proposal as compared to their's:

Their's:

TRACK REPLACEMENT
(2) No trains between 96 St and E 180 St

(5) trains and  free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Mar 30 - Apr 2

(2) service operates in two sections:
  1. Between South Ferry and 96 St
  2. Between E 180 St and Dyre Av

(5) trains make all (2) stops between 149 St-Grand Concourse and 241 St.

Express buses operate nonstop between 96 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse.
Local buses make all  stops between 96 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse.

• Transfer between (2) trains and shuttle buses at 96 St.
• Transfer between (2) and (5) trains via the (S) 42 Street Shuttle or (7) train.
• Transfer between (5) trains and  shuttle buses at 149 St-Grand Concourse.
• Transfer between (2) and (5) trains at E 180 St.

Show Shuttle Bus Stops

Note: No (3) trains running during this time.

Mine:

TRACK REPLACEMENT
(1) Extra service is provided between South Ferry and 137 St 

TRACK REPLACEMENT
(2) No trains between South Ferry and E 180 St

(1) (5) trains and  free shuttle buses provide alternate service

(2) service operates between E 180 St and Dyre Av

(1) trains make all (2) stops between South Ferry and 96 St.
(5) trains make all (2) stops between 149 St-Grand Concourse and 241 St.

Express buses operate nonstop between 96 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse.
Local buses make all  stops between 96 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse.

• Transfer between (1) trains and shuttle buses at 96 St.
• Transfer between (1) and (5) trains via the (S) 42 Street Shuttle or (7) train.
• Transfer between (5) trains and  shuttle buses at 149 St-Grand Concourse.
• Transfer between (2) and (5) trains at E 180 St.

Show Shuttle Bus Stops

39 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I mean I can see why, the late night (2) is literally, as I said, a (1) !!

Yeah, but people still travel late night, especially on Saturday nights/Sunday Mornings. IDK how the (1) held down 7th Avenue alone that night, if there were no (2) or (3) trains.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

An interesting weekend G.O Apr 21-22

TRACK REPLACEMENT

No J trains between Marcy Av and Broadway Junction
No M trains between Essex St and Broadway Junction

Free shuttle buses operate between broadway junction and marcy ave

J service operates in two sections

Between Jamaica center and broadway junction

Between Marcy Ave and Chambers street

@Lawrence St: Rather than quote a couple of lengthy posts, I'll just summarize my overall point. It's obvious that both you and I, and probably a lot of the members here, will understand either one of the service changes you posted. However, most riders are not that learned about the system, which is why the KISS principles play a big part in service changes. Or they should at least. Take out both the (2) and (3), and run some (2) trains as (1)s to 137 St-City College will confuse not only riders looking for Lenox Ave service, but service beyond City College as well. Yes, the (2) is almost a completely redundant line as it presently runs with the truncated service to 96 Street. On the flip-side, it localizes the confusion to only the (2) line, whereas yours would add confusion to the (1) as well.

Let me take a moment to be honest...I don't really like the (2) and (5) Bronx terminal swapping everytime the Clark Street Tubes are closed either...so I mostly agree with Lawrence St and FlushingExpress. I'd also run the (1) every 4 minutes on its entire line in both directions or just a part of its line (more preferably the former) in the (2) and (3) 's absences whenever the Lenox Avenue Line is shut down alongside the Clark Street Tubes.

I get what you're saying though, Lance.

Edited by Jemorie

4 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Let me take a moment to be honest...I don't really like the (2) and (5) Bronx terminal swapping everytime the Clark Street Tubes are closed either...so I mostly agree with Lawrence St and FlushingExpress. I'd also run the (1) every 4 minutes on its entire line in both directions or just a part of its line (more preferably the former) in the (2) and (3) 's absences whenever the Lenox Avenue Line is shut down alongside the Clark Street Tubes.

I get what you're saying though, Lance.

Well they do it for "crew" purposes as those (2) trains are (5) crews and blah blah you get the point.

It;s better to suspend the (2) because when passengers realize that the (2) isn't running, they will run and try to find another travel alternative, as opposed to not knowing about the service change until they get to 96th St.

2 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

An interesting weekend G.O Apr 21-22

TRACK REPLACEMENT

No J trains between Marcy Av and Broadway Junction
No M trains between Essex St and Broadway Junction

Free shuttle buses operate between broadway junction and marcy ave

J service operates in two sections

Between Jamaica center and broadway junction

Between Marcy Ave and Chambers street

Obviously, when they're tying the new viaduct tracks into the line. Built up new structure to just short of the connection, and laying the tracks now; just have to connect it.