R46 SIR retrofit Discussion

East New York

If it's announced in a subway fashion, it would be something more like this:

If it were like the LIRR announcements, it would be more like this:

Rather than "Thank you for riding with MTA NYCT" it would be probably be "Thank for riding with "Staten Island Railway" as SIR is not part of NYCT.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MTA Bus

SIR should get some PA5s, since both PATH and SIR are railroads. It would be nice to see some PA5s on Staten Island.

Rather than "Thank you for riding with MTA NYCT" it would be probably be "Thank for riding with "Staten Island Railway" as SIR is not part of NYCT.

Actually, It would be "MTA Staten Island Railway"

And officially, SIR is a sub division of NYCT. Like MaBSTOA. Its General Procurment, Law Department, etc were in 120 Livingston St. (I interned there, thats how i found out) Its also why if the consolidation ever gets into full swing, both NYCT subway and SIR would become "MTA Subway" publically.

Actually, It would be "MTA Staten Island Railway"

And officially, SIR is a sub division of NYCT. Like MaBSTOA. Its General Procurment, Law Department, etc were in 120 Livingston St. (I interned there, thats how i found out) Its also why if the consolidation ever gets into full swing, both NYCT subway and SIR would become "MTA Subway" publically.

Actually it would be Staten Island Railway. (ex-SIRTOA C/R here).

If it's announced in a subway fashion, it would be something more like this:

If it were like the LIRR announcements, it would be more like this:

Why would it include SIR in the announcements? None of the Subway trains mention NYCT in their station announcements so why would it for SIRTOA as well?

PA5s are cool. But that specific design is

a) built to IRT/PATH specs

B) still uses the "trip cock"

I would be in favor for a custom designed car for SI ("S-1"/MUE-3) if it really was feasible

But being(well, trying to be) cost effective, we know the MTA will most likely take a contract and order a small portion to FRA specs (a la R44SI)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but then those R46's would end up on the (D) because the R68's have been transferred to the SIR which won't go well for the (D) riders since R46's are as slow as hell.

They could take R68s from the (B) or the (G). Or use R68As.

I believe the R68 will be somewhat of a issue due to weight and to retrofit them to FRA standards will only make them heavier.I wonder if they order a NTT for the SIRT will it cause power issues like out in the rockaways?

Wouldn't retrofitting R46s bring up the same weight issues? How much lighter are the R46s versus the R68/68As? Not to mention the R46 cars being 11 to 15 years older than the R68/68A cars.

Yeah, but then those R46's would end up on the (D) because the R68's have been transferred to the SIR which won't go well for the (D) riders since R46's are as slow as hell.

I guess you have never been to Queens Boulevard, or Central Park West. The R46 is the second best train in the entire damn system. It might not be able to go as fast as an R160, but I will never admit the fact that an R68/A is faster than an R46.

They should just only take 64 R68As, convert them for the Staten Island Railway and have only 136 of them left in the New York City Subway. The R46s should return back to the (G) while the R68As should remain on the (B). It would give the (G) an opportunity to use R211s when they replaced the R46s. This would be more better than converting cars that are about to retire. The R68/68As still have more life in them so that shouldn't be a problem IMO.

Think of how long the R32s have to remain in service which is the (C) until they are finally replaced. The SIR shouldn't have cars that are lasting through 50+year in the fleet.

• 1 month later...

Well, unless anything changed, the plan is still for R46s.

I don't know why people keep suggesting what they should or should not do. R46's are going to the SIR. Period.

*sign* Fine... <_<

Anyway on to the topic:

Recently, I have been thinking and thought this would make much more sense than the current plans now. The R179s, which were originally suppose to replace the R44s, are now to replace the R32s and R42s as plain fact of course. Shouldn't the R179s still be a 75 foot car order with a total amount of 752 cars to replace the same amount of R46 cars in service? I mean, the R46s are to turn 40 years old by 2015. With the New York City Subway R44s gone by 39 years of age, the Staten Island Railway's R44s are to turn 44 years old by 2015. I'd be quite a solid idea to have those 64 R46s retire the remaining R44s in service there and keep them running on SIR until the R68As (not R68s) retire from service. That would be quite a solid idea and you can have the R32s and R42s be scrapped by other model replacements beginning around 2018 of course.

Anyways, just speculation and my opinion as usual since the (MTA) is to keep the entire R46 fleet past 2015 and retire the remains of the 222 R32s and 48 R42s...

When will R46 that running on A , R , F will be sent to Staten Island Railway. How old is the R44 etc: age that running into service on Staten Island. That why some say it forgotten borough. The R44 retirement came for Staten Island riders. Just send the R46. Why are they holding not sent the R46 yet. The R44 age is 41 years old.

It is currently planned. When the R179s come in place, 80 out of the 300 cars will bump 64 R46s to SIR to retire the remaining R44s there. If my math is correct, 80 cars in sets of five are the same as 64 cars in sets of four. Or the R211s (not written in stone yet but are to replace the R46s except those 64 sets of that car fleet).

However, I think it will be solid to have those 64 R46s go to SIR immediately by 41 years old in 2016 and retire the R44s by then. And then after the R68As (not R68s) retire, 64 out of the 200 cars of that car fleet could be sent to SIR by then. Just my opinion though...

Archived