R46 SIR retrofit Discussion

East New York

I see the logic in sending 46's to SI. Add the factors of the similaarities between the 44s and 46s makes the transition easier on crews and maintenance. And when it comes to cost, thats a no brainer. Especially since most cars wouldve probably already gone thru some form of SMS and all that will be needed is cab signaling and anything else needed to meet Class 1A FRA specs.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update

I saw some R46's in flatbed trailers in Washington heights in broadway today, making a turn to the W179th street to the GWB, Looks like there taking R46's to Staten Island Via New Jersey Turnpike.

hummmm

• 3 weeks later...

Update

I saw some R46's in flatbed trailers in Washington heights in broadway today, making a turn to the W179th street to the GWB, Looks like there taking R46's to Staten Island Via New Jersey Turnpike.

Are you sure those were R46's and not the R44's they've removed recently from 207th?

• 4 weeks later...

I am with the "Send R68s to SIR" group. These are single-unit cars and that nature makes for more flexibility in matching train consists with ridership. For example, you can get by with a 3-car daytime trains on weekends, or run two-cars late night, It seems that outside of rush hour, four-car trains are a bit much for the ridership.

Yeah, but then those R46's would end up on the (D) because the R68's have been transferred to the SIR which won't go well for the (D) riders since R46's are as slow as hell.

Who said anything about R68s from the (D)? If anything they could start with CIY starting with the Franklin S cars. (As I said here or another thread, the AA R46 pairs could be used for the S till hopefully those platforms are extended to hold 300' trains). I would assume that the R68s would be taken from the (B) and to make up for the loss of 7 trains (8th going to the S), they can give the (B) some R46s.

Yeah, but then those R46's would end up on the (D) because the R68's have been transferred to the SIR which won't go well for the (D) riders since R46's are as slow as hell.

The acceleration between the 46 and 68 isn't that big of a deal, you're acting like the 68's are much faster.

There has been plenty of times where a 46 (R) and a 68 (D) left 36th Street N/B at the same time and the 46 was moving faster than the 68 was.

(D) line riders wouldn't care if the 46s went on the (D) line.

Come to think of it, it will sure be interesting the day that the SIR gets R160s.

This is an SIR Express Train to Tottenville.

The next stop is Arthur Kill Road.

Transfer to the S74 and S84 buses.

This is an SIR Express Train to Tottenville.

Transfer to the S74 and S84 buses.

If it's announced in a subway fashion, it would be something more like this:

This is a Tottenville-bound SIR express train.

Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

This is Arthur Kill Road.

Connection is available to the S74 and S84.

This is a Tottenville-bound SIR express train.

The next stop and last stop is Tottenville.

Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

This is Tottenville.

Connection is available to the S74 and S84.

This is the last stop on this train.

Everybody please leave the train, and thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit.

If it were like the LIRR announcements, it would be more like this:

This station is Arthur Kill Road.

This is the train to St. George Terminal.

The next stop is Richmond Valley.

If SIRT were to get new trains, I dunno if 60' car trains would be ideal since it would mean more cars to maintain and leave out. Late at night I would think they'd need a 3 car train vs the 2 they have now. I think if the subways are no longer going to run 75' car trains (after the last R68s are retired), then SIR may need a custom fleet.

Archived