Hurricane Sandy News & General Discussion Thread (Non Transit)

Abba

After my release from my Sandy induced blackout earlier this evening I've had a chance to read the posts I've missed since lights out when Sandy struck. I was out here in Western Suffolk county(Brentwood) when it hit and the wind damage was incredible. Downed trees and power lines all over. I have a portable TV/radio/Light combo that I got as a gift a few years ago and it came in handy. I couldn't get TV reception but there were four rock stations that simulcasted News12's programs so at least I had an idea of the devastation in NJ and NY. My mother gave me a rundown of the region's problems via telephone every night. She was watching CNN's coverage and at her age, mid- eighties, it was amazing to see she was as worried about me as if I was still a child. With us it's usually the other way around these days.. I must say that I was happy to see that so many of my fellow posters are still posting updates which means you're still healthy, if not comfortable, "cause that's what is really important. We must never forget that. I've actually been reading these forums for about 5 hours and the descriptions of the devastation are even worse than some of the media's reports. I must report that I followed the old adage "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" as much as I could remember. I had flashlights, canned food, water, medical supplies, and a full tank of gas. That full tank kept my cellphone and tablet charged and allowed me to travel around to witness first hand what was happening in this and surrounding towns.When the gas gauge dropped to 3/4 last night I went out to MacArthur airport ar 2 am and waited in line for 20 minutes and filled it up. I consider myself lucky after what I saw. I never made it to the south shore of the island where the storm was much worse so I have to thank Joe and the others for filling in the blanks. Many thanks to all of you for your posts. They're my eyes to what the rest of the metro area went through. In closing I have some pieces of advice I've discovered this week. You never have enough candles(even if you have flashlights), C and D batteries are far more important in a storm, and fill your tank BEFORE a storm. In the last few days I've seen more people searching for those items than I could ever imagine. I'm glad to be back with all of you. Be safe out there and "Carry on".

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely. Just because the media doesn't like to cover it doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.

Exactly. All I hear about Lindenhurst is floods and devastation and I've only seen 1 news report about looting (on SI) and when I was volunteering in Lindenhust I saw an armored tank drive by.

Exactly. All I hear about Lindenhurst is floods and devastation and I've only seen 1 news report about looting (on SI) and when I was volunteering in Lindenhust I saw an armored tank drive by.

Trucks like those are all over the city as Navy/Army/Air Force Humvees and other vehicles are being used to distribute food and water. You should see the Armory on Lexington and 25th, three block line of military vehicles.

Anyone saw tonight (11/2/12)the NBC concert for Sandy? I missed it and just watching it now on tape. Just like how Elton John rewrote his all time classic song "Candle in Wind" for Princess Diana death, Rock Hall of Famer Billie Joel rewrote his earlier carrer hit "Miami 2017" for Sandy here in 2012?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNugHwekMF8

Yea I saw it, it was alright, best part for me is when Aerosmith and Steve Tyler along with some other singers did a cover of the song "boardwalk"

My friends in Gerritsen Beach and Tottenville survived the storm luckily... Gerritsen Beach was flooded beyond belief and my buddy had to evacuate with his girlfriend. My friend in Tottenville apparently was one of the few whose house wasn't destroyed... Happy she's alive. I'm without cable until at least next week, but I'm happy to be alive. Had the tree near my balcony snapped the other way it may have been lights out for me.

I have heard rumors that the city may be considering building levees to prevent massive flooding from future superstorms. In addition to that, they need to take into consideration the threat that the Canary Islands pose. If/When the La Pulma (or El Hiero) volcano erupts, a good portion of the western island will fall into the atlantic and head OUR way! This will create a massive tsunami that will destroy anything in it's way. I believe the city(and the rest of the East Coast for that matter) should take action NOW to atleast prevent the worst of the future disaster from occuring. Any thoughts on this?

You can't prevent the inevitable.

I agree and so does the City Of New York. My understanding is that in the wake of Hurricane Irene Mayor Bloomberg had environmental studies started on the ever increasing water table around Manhattan, bringing into consideration the actual construction of levees or seawalls.

I agree and so does the City Of New York. My understanding is that in the wake of Hurricane Irene Mayor Bloomberg had environmental studies started on the ever increasing water table around Manhattan, bringing into consideration the actual construction of levees or seawalls.

Exactly. I heard some talks about this with city officals the other day somewhere and I thought, why not take the Canary Island threat into consideration? I've been researching these islands since atleast 2004 and the disaster that an entire mountain falling into the ocean would bring is by no means, pretty.

It's the entire East Coast, not just NY that should be concerned about the Canary Island eruption and tsunami. Florida even moreso then NY should really be concerned for they are all flatland (though for them, the Canary Islands isn't the only thing they should be worried about, for that BP mess just to the west of them in the gulf seems to be creating a methane gas bubble from below that could also create a mega-tsunami).

It's the entire East Coast, not just NY that should be concerned about the Canary Island eruption and tsunami. Florida even moreso then NY should really be concerned for they are all flatland (though for them, the Canary Islands isn't the only thing they should be worried about, for that BP mess just to the west of them in the gulf seems to be creating a methane gas bubble from below that could also create a mega-tsunami).

when, not if, that volcano goes the resulting tsunami will be 150-200 feet high, no levee or seawall will stop it, period.

i love the future superstorm talk. people around here act like a storm like sandy hasnt hit here before. sandy`s path was very similar to the 1903 vagabond hurricane which made landfall near atlantic city. if you study meteorology like i did in college, it is extremely rare for a hurricane to make a turn west like those storms did this far north. if you also study hurricane history, new york and long island were severely impacted by 3 hurricanes in a 6 week period in 1954, hurricanes carol, edna, and hazel, and we survived them all so the hysterical talk of a hurricane,and a tropical storm (irene was a tropical storm when it made landfall here) in back to back years is pure grandstanding. humans have never been able to control and never will be able to control mother nature period.

joe

when, not if, that volcano goes the resulting tsunami will be 150-200 feet high, no levee or seawall will stop it, period.

i love the future superstorm talk. people around here act like a storm like sandy hasnt hit here before. sandy`s path was very similar to the 1903 vagabond hurricane which made landfall near atlantic city. if you study meteorology like i did in college, it is extremely rare for a hurricane to make a turn west like those storms did this far north. if you also study hurricane history, new york and long island were severely impacted by 3 hurricanes in a 6 week period in 1954, hurricanes carol, edna, and hazel, and we survived them all so the hysterical talk of a hurricane,and a tropical storm (irene was a tropical storm when it made landfall here) in back to back years is pure grandstanding. humans have never been able to control and never will be able to control mother nature period.

joe

who said anything about stopping it? I just said to lessen the severity of the impact.

who said anything about stopping it? I just said to lessen the severity of the impact.

lessen the impact for who? you think a seawall or a levee will stop the water and it will just go back out to sea with its tail between its legs, it will move to the both ends of the wall and inundate those people, simple physics my friend

joe

Well, we have to do something to protect the nation's economic center. This thing WILL go off, just like Yellowstone soon will as well.

there is nothing that humans can do to totally protect it unless you put the entire financial system in a NORAD type bunker in a mountain somewhere, and even that isnt fail safe. humans cant perfect it, but the best thing about humans is whatever happens short of the world blowing up, we have the drive to adapt and rebuild, thats the only answer

joe

Archived