Hurricane Sandy News & General Discussion Thread (Non Transit)

Abba

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shifting gears. Some people online/twitter and also tv news critics/analysts are going after the tv reporters for "risking their lives" to cover the storm. Including CNN's Ali Velshi now infamous coverage of Sandy "Arrival" in AC. Should reporters be that close to a storm guys?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/ali-velshi-hurricane-sandy-media_n_2041444.html?utm_hp_ref=media#comments

Shifting gears. Some people online/twitter and also tv news critics/analysts are going after the tv reporters for "risking their lives" to cover the storm. Including CNN's Ali Velshi now infamous coverage of Sandy "Arrival" in AC. Should reporters be that close to a storm guys?

http://www.huffingto...=media#comments

Endangering your own life to cover a story isn't worth it. If the storm is getting too dangerous to cover it's best to leave and get somewhere safe before things get worse.

Posting from Lowe's (they got a generator, everyone else is out of power here) over their wifi, the Sprint network seems to be 100% down all around the area. We were gonna head to Manhattan, but we heard the turnpike was shut down from exit 10 up and we didn't know the SI bridges were open till now. It's a mess here, down trees and power lines everywhere.

I don't..... seriously.... why didn't anyone else besides me flee 500 miles inland to avoid 90% of the devistation?

Because were not Pussy's. LOL

Plus there was shelters that there is no need to go 500 miles, also not everyone has has relatives all across the country and the fact that many of US can't afford hotels for those days.

Do you guys have bull sharks on your streets cause we do down here in ocean city, ac, vetnor, wildwood. They told ppl not to go in the water cause of the massive amount of sharks in the streets.

Haven't thought about the affect of wildlife in the Atlantic due to Sandy prior to reading this post. Having sharks swimming in flooded areas is not good.

Do you guys have bull sharks on your streets cause we do down here in ocean city, ac, vetnor, wildwood. They told ppl not to go in the water cause of the massive amount of sharks in the streets.

Sharks in the streets??? So I guess they had water to keep them alive but what about when the waters recede?

Sharks in the streets??? So I guess they had water to keep them alive but what about when the waters recede?

Yeah sharks in the streets. Either they die or somehow make it back to the atlantic. But i didnt know bull sharks come this far north. There was more then enough water for them to fully stay under water and come up to show there fins smh.

Yeah sharks in the streets. Either they die or somehow make it back to the atlantic. But i didnt know bull sharks come this far north. There was more then enough water for them to fully stay under water and come up to show there fins smh.

Christ... Makes sense... Some guy in New Jersey went and tried to save some possession of his neighbor and almost got caught up in the flood, so he had to swim home in water that was 5 ft high. I guess you shouldn't just dive in and you may live to regret it. :lol:

Back to serious note. Here Tuesday coverage from Nine News National News program from Down Under. Further proof this storm has shocked the world.

Channel 7's sunrise program ran to about Midday. Three hours after they usually go off air. They don't do that unless it's a big story.

It's been the lead in news story on every channels news bullitin.

I hope everyone's all ok.

Shifting gears. Guys a question even if you not a sports/basketball fan? Tommorrow night (11/1/12) the now Brooklyn Nets play their first ever regular season NBA game at the new Barclay's Center vs the Knicks. As of now the game has not been postponed. Should that hisotric game even be played at all since subway service will be out and at maybe a few thousand fans in attendence.

Not to mention as of this morning 30% of the NYC/LI/Northern NJ metro area without power? What you guys think?

It is to soon to start a the game. they should have postponed it to next week. there going to lose money since people have other problems they have to deal with from the storm.

I agree. However since the game(Nets/Knicks season opener at Barclay) is on national cable tv in prime time i.e TNT channel, I doubt it be postponed. If game is played i hope a portion of game tickets sold is put aside for Hurricane relief efforts for the NYC/NJ area who been the hardest hit by the megastorm. And instead of a zillion commericals, instead TNT and the NBA plug non profit/faith based organzations such as the Red Cross, etc.

Heading over to PA right now, never thought I'd see a Sprint signal again but I have one over here on route 130 going towards 195 by Hamilton. Gonna upload some vids to YouTube and pump up (myself of course, screw the idiotic NJ law) then come back sadly, whenever lower Manhattan gets their power back I'll head on up there. Guess I'm about to find out if SEPTA is back too.

Archived