Hurricane Sandy News & General Discussion Thread (Non Transit)

Abba

[float=left]post-5097-0-25630300-1351604316_thumb.jpg[/float]Welcome to our Hurricane Sandy storm tracker live blog. Our News team will keep you up-to-date on emergency conditions in NYC as the city endures this unprecedented superstorm.

Sandy is packing 90mph winds and could trigger 10-foot storm surges. The storm is expected to make a devastating landfall near Atlantic City, NJ Monday evening.

Stay with us. Upload your storm photos.

Read the NY Daily News blog here.

post-5097-0-25630300-1351604316_thumb.jpg

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yonkers Depot is right on the Hudson River, on the river side of the tracks.

But isn't it elevated there? That's the key... I didn't hear anything about other MetroNorth stations in that area. And also I don't see Castleton Depot being flooded either. It's not that far from the coast, but it's a bit inland.

I have to say, this is the craziest turnout that I would have never expected with a hurricane doing such damage. My WiFi is the sh*ttiest service ever, and it has been going out in the past few weeks every time it rains or storms, which means i'm often without internet. While all my friends on facebook were posting pictures of flooding in their basement or their power going out, not only was my power on, my crappy WiFi was running FASTER than usual.

Now I don't mean to brag, and I wish for the well-being of you all who weren't as lucky.

I have to say, this is the craziest turnout that I would have never expected with a hurricane doing such damage. My WiFi is the sh*ttiest service ever, and it has been going out in the past few weeks every time it rains or storms, which means i'm often without internet. While all my friends on facebook were posting pictures of flooding in their basement or their power going out, not only was my power on, my crappy WiFi was running FASTER than usual.

Now I don't mean to brag, and I wish for the well-being of you all who weren't as lucky.

No offense underground and not meant to be rude. Be damn lucky you got internet or even electricity. Tens of thousands in the city are atill without power.

FYI. Guys please keep comments only to NON Transit Sandy comments and stories here only. For transit comments please go to this or ones for NJ TRansit and the airlines. Thanks

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/37830-governor-directs-mta-to-move-forward-with-system-wide-shutdown-for-sandy/

For all CUNY students:

ALL SCHEDULED DAY AND EVENING CLASSES AND ALL OTHER FUNCTIONS/ACTIVITIES AT ALL CUNY CAMPUSES HAVE BEEN CANCELED FOR WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2012

Due to the severe weather associated with Hurricane Sandy and the current shut down of the New York and New Jersey public transit systems:

• ALL scheduled Day and Evening classes and all other functions/activities at ALL CUNY campuses have been canceled for Wednesday, October 31, 2012.
  • ALL shelters located on CUNY Campuses will remain open and operating to support the City’s Coastal Storm Plan and evacuation orders.
  • ALL CUNY non-essential employees are not required to report to work on Wednesday, October 31, 2012.
  • ALL essential and emergency personnel are expected to report to work on Wednesday, October 31, 2012. They should contact their immediate supervisor for instructions on work assignments and hours to report to work

http://www1.cuny.edu/mu/forum/2012/10/28/campus-condition-updates/

•  

Well, my neighborhood is fine as usual. The wi-fi's a bit slow, but eh, whaddya gonna do? CDTA's running fine according to the website, so I can assume the majority of the Capital District, (except for Scoharie, because they always get flooded) is fine. Looks like all of my friends have power too. And the Green Street bus is running, and that goes right up to the river, so doesn't look like there's any damage here. And that really old tree is still up. Also the person from Suyvestant Town I couldn't get in touch with just updated his status on Facebook saying "Those that fail to plan, plan to fail", so I can assume he's fine. (Just like I thought he was)

@CDTA. Good to hear about your friend down in the 5 boros.

Some update as of today 345pm(10/30/12)about the end of the Sandy just saw on Weather Channel and other news channels.

1)8 Million-plus customers in US without electricity.

2)Some Moutain towns in WVA might get 2-feet-plus of snow.

4)Its heartbreaking and almost you want to cry about what happened in NJ especially by the NJ shore. It hurts personally for me since my family especially in my teenage years spent part of summer vaction in seaside heights and AC.

One of the lessons is to take mother nature very seriously, just because we live in the greatest city in the world doesn't me we are safe from natural disasters, hopefully state officials well open there eyes after sandy leaves. This is a hurricane that will be talked about for Generations to come, more so then Katrina.

One of the lessons is to take mother nature very seriously, just because we live in the greatest city in the world doesn't me we are safe from natural disasters, hopefully state officials well open there eyes after sandy leaves. This is a hurricane that will be talked about for Generations to come, more so then Katrina.

Not to mention, books, etc. and maybe a "perfect storm" 2 movie? :o

Calling Michael Brown a doucebag sums up everything about his criticism.

The weather channel is making the documentary as we speak LOL

For real? Dang I have to see that even though I spent all of yesterday watching the event.

Archived