Hurricane Sandy News & General Discussion Thread (Non Transit)

Abba

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so I'm at the Oxford Valley Mall in PA right now, charging up my computer, camera, and phone. It's a madhouse here, they have their Halloween event going on and it's packed with people in costume, but anyway it looks like most people in this area have power. Lots of Jersey plates in the parking lot too, it looks like all the NJ malls are closed today.

But isn't it elevated there? That's the key... I didn't hear anything about other MetroNorth stations in that area. And also I don't see Castleton Depot being flooded either. It's not that far from the coast, but it's a bit inland.

It's in Zone A. See here. (They used the streets as boundaries even though the topography doesn't exactly follow the streets)

It's inland, but it's a low point in the area.

But yeah, I think it's more likely that Far Rockaway would flood than Castleton.

As for me, there was very little flood damage, but a lot of wind damage. We lost power for two nights (I heard a few transformers blow and the lights flicker, and then eventually the one that served us blew. But luckily by then, we had shut off everything so nothing was suddenly turned off). I was surprised that there was a green light when it blew (rather than a blue light). I guess something in the transformer burned and gave off green light.

Anyway, I hope everybody here is alright. I heard some areas were hit really bad (some parts of the Jersey Shore were severely flooded). We were keeping in touch with some people back in Brighton Beach and they were hit pretty bad too. And Sea Gate was hit even worse (but it always gets it bad with the way it's located)

Coney Island is a warzone. Funny how the media doesn't report the rampant looting.

Actually it has. While not the headline drama from the Jersey Shore, Hoboken, Manhattan or Breezy Point, i saw it on Fox News and HLN aka CNN2.

Also here Daily News article that mentions it as well.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/looters-target-coney-island-sandy-article-1.1195080

Actually it has. While not the headline drama from the Jersey Shore, Hoboken, Manhattan or Breezy Point, i saw it on Fox News and HLN aka CNN2.

Also here Daily News article that mentions it as well.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1195080

I'm surprised it got any coverage. I've been rotating between ABC, NBC and TWC for the past few days. Didn't see any mention of it.

I also heard that a police stationhouse was also looted. Amazing.

Looks like "backup" is on the way. The LA area based "Southern Calif. Con Ed" is sending crews and equipment to the NYC/NJ area. It might be here as early as this weekend i.e Saturday 11/3/12 if given permission to use US Military planes.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/inland_empire&id=8869087

Also several other crews from as far as Japan and Latin America i saw on BBC are also offered to help.

Nets opener at Barclays Center vs Knicks postponed the Mayor just stated in 3pm press conference 10/30/12 Knicks/Heat for Friday and NYC Marathon still planned for Friday (11/2/12) and Sunday (11/6/12)

But why? What point odes it make to cancel the basketball game if you're not going to cancel the marathon? Somebody hit me with some sort of understanding to this move.

But why? What point odes it make to cancel the basketball game if you're not going to cancel the marathon? Somebody hit me with some sort of understanding to this move.

The Marathon should just be postponed until next Sunday November 11. Ask the genuis Mayor on why its still planned? The big issue is that many runners coming from Europe, Africa and beyond are still stuck at airports around the globe. Its IMO not fair for them to arrive on Thursday and Friday and only have a day or so to prepare for the race.

NBC/Universal exces on this morning today's show (11/1/12)that all NBC owned stations i.e NBC-TV Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Weather Channel, USA, E!, etc. will be producing a telehon for Hurricane Sandy victims Friday Night (11/2/12) at 8pm.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/nbc-to-show-telethon-for-hurricane-sandy-relief-effort-on-friday/

I can't believe how much of Staten island especially the south shore was hard hit. Yet it only today the local/national news media started giving them attention.

And what up with Bloomberg? Why is he allowing the martahon to go as planned for this Sunday 11/4/12? At least move it back a week to the following Sunday.

Gas stations by me are all out of gas. The few that are still open have really long lines.

Looting is running wild in CI and LI. The reports get wilder and wilder. Calling 911 may take up to 10 minutes to even get a dispatcher.

Those of you who own cars: make sure you protect your fuel fill. Park your vehicle next to a wall if need be. If you're running a generator for power: make sure you chain it down or secure it somehow. Figure out a way to secure its' fuel tank (as well as your reserve fuel storage.)

Generators are being stolen. Fuel is being siphoned out of peoples' cars. In areas where there is no power, stores are being broken into. Be safe. Protect yourself.

Funny how the idealists always say that there will be nothing to worry about. This was a category 1 hurricane that didn't make landfall on NYC. Look at what's going on.

NYC really needs to get it's act together. If Sandy did what it did (without a direct impact on the city) what would a storm as strong or stronger than Katrina have done directly hitting the city?

Statistically speaking, we're due. One of my college professors is very knowledgeable on this topic, always talked about it.

Needless to say, this whole region would be up shits creek without a paddle. You think this is bad? LOL

When asked if the Army or National Guard would go to Coney Island to maintain order (hah!), Bloomballs said that there were "too many people with guns in Coney Island already". Shows you which side he's on.

By the way, a Key Food in Coney Island tonight was reported to have 30 looters removed from it at once by the police.

Statistically speaking, we're due. One of my college professors is very knowledgeable on this topic, always talked about it.

Needless to say, this whole region would be up shits creek without a paddle. You think this is bad? LOL

When asked if the Army or National Guard would go to Coney Island to maintain order (hah!), Bloomballs said that there were "too many people with guns in Coney Island already". Shows you which side he's on.

By the way, a Key Food in Coney Island tonight was reported to have 30 looters removed from it at once by the police.

Damn i used to live a few blocks from that Key Food(Neptune and West 35rd) on West 37th St.

And guys Sandy was a Cat 2/3 storm (combing it with the Nor'easter)

And guys Sandy was a Cat 2/3 storm (combing it with the Nor'easter)

I'm talking about an equivalent storm that would strike NYC directly. If it were a cat 2/3 storm striking NYC or LI, my house would be partially flooded. I live within the 100 year flood zone. Zone AE for those of you familiar with FEMA maps. I'm aware of the risks, and I properly prepare for them.

"Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance."

Do you think upcoming NYC Marathon should be POSTPONED until full transportation network operates in EAST COAST OF USA?

Just like July 4th firework, postponing might be great idea because the residents in low-flooded or blackout area cannot able to attend without full transportation service restored.

If you're in flavor to postpone, please sign the petition. I think this petition will be very popular.

http://signon.org/sign/demand-to-postpone-nyc.fb23?source=c.fb&r_by=4535018

I can't believe how much of Staten island especially the south shore was hard hit. Yet it only today the local/national news media started giving them attention.

Re Staten Island. One of the reports I read monday nite said there was a 32 foot wave in New York harbor. My guess would be that may have been what hit Staten Island. My guess would be that was an outer harbor bouy.

Rgds IGN

Just repeating what i said. Assuming majority of the transit network is up and running I already said have the marathon on next sunday Nov. 11. This Sunday 11/4/12 is way too soon.

Hell it took local talk shows i.e WFAN, etc. to scream before Thursday's Nets/Knicks Season Opener in Brooklyn to be postponed.

Archived