Hurricane Sandy News & General Discussion Thread (Non Transit)

Abba

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have that person's cell phone, you should try to make contact.

Connection failed with the one whose number I have :( The other one MIGHT be out of the country, but either way, they are both on the third floor, so as long as they made it in, their ok.

I know that this is actually happening, but because i'm not there, it just seems surreal. I feel as if in two-three hours, i'm going to walk out of a movie theater and head home. I just can't believe this is actually happening. I think it was Shortline, who said that this is the worst thing to happen to this city since 9/11. I have to agree with him on that. I was there for 9/11. I'm not there for this. But yet this feels a hell of a lot worse..

This is not looking good. Are you still with us?

Got my phone, it's bad down here though. And I got a friend of mine down in Battery Park City, called me up as he watched a car float down the highway and a dumpster float into the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I saw the second transformer blow, a huge blue-white flash...gonna be a while before power comes back. Not a good scene below 39th in the city.

The storm has seemed to die down a little here. Before, when it first came, the wind was going right at my windows, and one of them almost even fell out. Lucliky none of them broke. The wind is not as bad, just every once in a while there will be a gust at the windows. The power is still on, thought every once in a while the lights will flicker. Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow morning the power will still be on.

Raining here right now,and it doesn't look to be too breezy. I have also gotten in touch with the person I know from LES, but still can't reach the one from Stuyvesant Town.

I'm going to bed now, so i'll update you guys in the morning.

Raining here right now,and it doesn't look to be too breezy. I have also gotten in touch with the person I know from LES, but still can't reach the one from Stuyvesant Town.

I'm going to bed now, so i'll update you guys in the morning.

I have friends in Stuyvesant town. They are all ok, just without power, like everyone else down there. Your friend should be fine, his/her cellphone probably died. They had flooding down 14th street, but nothing that was said to have injured anybody.

To those who can read this on the East Coast, please stay safe out there. To those affected by damage recovery is going to be long and strenuous, but I know you guys can do it.

Try to have a great night. Tuesday is going to be a bitch.

Subways wont be back to normal for a while. Imagine all that water downtown -- it's seeped into every switch machine, every signal cabinet, every electrical room. Holy shit. I can't imagine how long it will take.

Lots of power outages here (Valley Stream.) Transformer explosions all over. All you could smell before was the sulfur from the creeks and the transformer oil burning.

Near where I live, Mill Pond was already high shortly after noon -- by nighttime, it had spilled out over onto Mill Road. Mill Road was impassable between Jedwood Lane and Sunrise Highway. Hungry Harbor Road was impassable past North Woodmere Park (travelling towards Peninsula Boulevard.)

There has been some political dispute between Atlantic City mayor and Governor Christie over the evacuation process.

The mayor allowed some AC residents to stay on the island and ride it out in local shelters.

One of the things Obama has to do as president is tour the damage in Atlantic City w/ Gov. Christie

Yonkers Depot I doubt unless it's near an unelevated part of the city (Yonkers). If not then it's possible since it would be near the Hudson River. The Spuyten Duyvil station for example isn't elevated and is right next to the Hudson River and is totally flooded, as is the Riverdale MetroNorth station.

Yonkers Depot I doubt unless it's near an unelevated part of the city (Yonkers). If not then it's possible since it would be near the Hudson River. The Spuyten Duyvil station for example isn't elevated and is right next to the Hudson River and is totally flooded, as is the Riverdale MetroNorth station.

Yonkers Depot is right on the Hudson River, on the river side of the tracks.

On the MTA website, it says that 6 of the 28 MTA garages are under water. Castleton, Meredith Annex, Yonkers, and Eastchester might be four of the six---is 126 Street another, and what would the sixth be?

That should be discussed on the MTA Bus forum

Archived