Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

lol^. Why am I not surprised..

Think about it: people have the 'express is better mentality'.

It's not really that mentality, its more of the mentality that the Express is faster when it really isn't. It's a psychological thing as when people see their train fly through their stations, they think its faster.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not really that mentality, its more of the mentality that the Express is faster when it really isn't. It's a psychological thing as when people see their train fly through their stations, they think its faster.

I am a sad sad victim of this with the (B)(Q)...I always switch to the (B) for some natural reason..though I am always relieved when I pass the previous (Q) I was just on to save...bout 4-6 minutes?

I am a sad sad victim of this with the (B)(Q)...I always switch to the (B) for some natural reason..though I am always relieved when I pass the previous (Q) I was just on to save...bout 4-6 minutes?

Not even. I inform passengers one at a time at Brighton Beach who ditch the (Q) that if you really want a (B) , go to Sheepshead Bay and wait for it, instead of getting off and finding out that the next (B) is the on sitting on 3 track, then asking me why the one on 4 track didn't move right after they got on as they thought.

Not even. I inform passengers one at a time at Brighton Beach who ditch the (Q) that if you really want a (B) , go to Sheepshead Bay and wait for it, instead of getting off and finding out that the next (B) is the on sitting on 3 track, then asking me why the one on 4 track didn't move right after they got on as they thought.

I should have noted, I'm talking from Avenue U's perspective. Usually a (B) catches up with the (Q) I've just boarded or the (B) waits at Kings Highway for us. Sometimes when it's just the (Q), depending if I saw a (B) pass already and how long, I get off at Kings Highway to wait 5-7 minutes for another (B) to come by and we pass the (Q) around Newkirk or after it.

I should have noted, I'm talking from Avenue U's perspective. Usually a (B) catches up with the (Q) I've just boarded or the (B) waits at Kings Highway for us. Sometimes when it's just the (Q), depending if I saw a (B) pass already and how long, I get off at Kings Highway to wait 5-7 minutes for another (B) to come by and we pass the (Q) around Newkirk or after it.

Guys *excuse me.* How is this chat related to Hurricane Sandy :o ? Feel free to create a new thread on the Brighton (B)(Q) line if needed. I would have closed this thread already but since we still having ongoing news on post storm subway news i am keeping open at least till the (R) full service returns.Thanks

Guys *excuse me.* How is this chat related to Hurricane Sandy :o ? Feel free to create a new thread on the Brighton (B)(Q) line if needed. I would have closed this thread already but since we still having ongoing news on post storm subway news i am keeping open at least till the (R) full service returns.Thanks

The (B)(Q) example was brought up from content I read from @Cait Sith from page 59. Secondly I'd definitely appreciated if you didn't single me out like that as this topic went off-topic numerous times and still realigned itself.

You want us to make up some recovery news? Because there hasn't been any news as of late....

Relax yourself, I was the one that kinda sparked up the psychological discussion if you read the past posts...

lol^. Why am I not surprised..

Think about it: people have the 'express is better mentality'. The very moment they can transfer to the express, they will and you end up with empty trains from Rockaway Blvd to Euclid. Unless they have no choice (they were to run the (A) on the express track b/w Rockaway Blvd to 80th st or trains are too crowded to get on), the only reason a person is going to stay on the (C) is if their stop isn't too far away.

In a similar example: would you like it if the (F) was cut back to 71st and the (R) extended to 179th? I would think people would be just as pissed in losing that one seat express ride. That would make the (E) a lot worse because of people transferring at Kew Gardens.

Not really a similar example. The (F) is not split between two terminals; the whole reason for the (C) to Lefferts debate. It's more like if the (F) ran to both 179 and Jamaica Center, and the argument was to send the (R) to 179 and leave the (F) at JC.

Cutting half the service to Astoria wouldn't improve service anywhere. It would leave Astoria line riders behind on the platform, unable to fit on any trains, and would also inconvenience Flushing line riders who now transfer at Queensboro Plaza but wouldn't be able to fit on the N anymore.

Sending all A's to the Rockaways would be extremely costly and would provide much more service to the area than ridership calls for. By far the busiest station railroad-south of Rockaway Blvd., on either branch, is Lefferts. How would it make sense to spend lots of money to provide inferior service to the busiest station in the area?

Dead silence.

As a frequent Brighton rider, I'd like to note that even with the (B) express, the (Q) is still fairly packed. I'd say 60% of Brighton riders do get off at Atlantic Ave anyway.

Of course, and that's why the Brighton line gets twice as frequent service as the Sea Beach or West End.

But I used to ride the Brighton regularly, and not even close to 60% of Brighton riders get off at Atlantic. Many get off at DeKalb (when the R is running into Manhattan) and the vast majority stay on into Manhattan.

The (A) to Lefferts used to operate 24/7 and the (A) to Far Rockaway turned into the (H) shuttle from midnight to 5 AM. That's how it was until late 1993 when they switched to the current operation. If Lefferts has higher ridership than Far Rockaway, what prompted the MTA to reduce the late-night Lefferts (A) to a shuttle between Euclid and Lefferts?

Probably to eliminate the time-consuming round-robin shuttle (which served the lower ridership Rockaway Park end first) while avoiding the need for Rock Park riders to transfer twice.

During the mid-evening: Why do the N, Q, D, and B run every 10 minutes to Brooklyn, yet the Bay Ridge R runs every 12 minutes during that time?

During the mid/late evening: When the N, Q, D, and B are running every 12 minutes into Brooklyn, why does the Bay Ridge R run every 15 minutes during that time?

On Saturday/Sunday evenings leaving Times Square between 10:30pm and 11:10pm, why are the N, Q and D running every 10 to 12 minutes, yet the Bay Ridge R train is running a whopping every 20 minutes during that time?

Frequencies are all based on ridership. If the N, Q, D, and B (when it runs) carry heavier loads, at their most crowded points, than the R, then they need to run more frequently than the R does.

And finally, during the late night hours, why doesn't the R shuttle wait for a late arriving D or N train to pull in? Passengers at Atlantic must wait up to 20 minutes for a D or N, then up to another 20 minutes for an R shuttle, making a 20 minute ride to Bay Ridge into at least a 60 minute ride from hell.

You're exaggerating a little bit - by "at least" I think you mean "at most."

Lets say the Jerlolamen Tube would have been flooded to the same degree that the Montague was.Would it be closed for the same amount of time?

If the same damage was inflicted, probably. Use Bowling Green at Atlantic Ave express tracks.

You're exaggerating a little bit - by "at least" I think you mean "at most."

lol, if it involves the (R) you can expect that from him.

Not really a similar example. The (F) is not split between two terminals; the whole reason for the (C) to Lefferts debate. It's more like if the (F) ran to both 179 and Jamaica Center, and the argument was to send the (R) to 179 and leave the (F) at JC.

Point still stands: you can't justify sending the local to one end of the line if they've been accustomed to a one seat express service. The very first opportunity a person gets to transfer to the express, that local will be empty. It won't work. And for the (A) that problem would just be compounded with Rockaway Blvd as a major choke point with people getting off and waiting for the (A) to show up. Just leave the (A) split as is. It's one thing if those Lefferts stops had Rockaway Park ridership levels, but they don't.

Earlier this week, I heard on the news that full R train service (71/Continental to 95th) would resume no later than the 2nd week of December (not that I'm in any rush). In the past month, many off-peak evening and weekend riders have benefited greatly from the service increase of more reliable Brooklyn R service and more frequent evening headways than the regular R train. Furthermore, late night 2, 4, Q, and A riders have a service increase with a direct connection to a Bay Ridge bound train. Rush-hour riders can learn the temporary schedule (leaving 95th at 8:06am, 8:16am, etc) to reduce their waits. I'm very pleased with this split R train service. I would think conductors & motormen would prefer it too, since Bay Ridge R trains are no longer subject to off-peak delays that might reduce their break time.

Hate to burst your bubble, but not everything revolves around that part of the line. The (R) has to return to normal and the (4)(5) need a relief from all the crowds using that connection b/w Barclays to Lower Manhattan.

Agreed, although one thing that could be done to help Brooklyn passengers would be once Montauge is fixed and Whitehall can be used again is to have additional (R) service operate between 95th Street and Whitehall Street (terminating on the middle track at Whitehall), with that part of the (R) becoming 24/7. With the new transfer at Metrotech that has apparently become very popular, it may now be worth doing that (while having the (N) continue to also run through the tunnel overnights) as opposed to in the past. That might be one thing that comes out of all of this post-Sandy, and it certainly is something I would be looking at doing on a full-time bases.

Archived