Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a minor side note update on the Broadway Line. It seems that (Q)s going northbound are running local during the middays at least as they began to store trains from the rush hour (N)(Q) express trips ((N) still show Midtown-57St which is interesting) on the uptown express track so at least the (N) doesn't have to handle the load alone but I don't know if the (Q) runs local during rush hours which I will guess probably does not. Hopefully the (R) will return to Lower Manhattan soon, so Broadway service will be less of a guessing game each week.

Just a minor side note update on the Broadway Line. It seems that (Q)s going northbound are running local during the middays at least as they began to store trains from the rush hour (N)(Q) express trips ((N) still show Midtown-57St which is interesting) on the uptown express track so at least the (N) doesn't have to handle the load alone but I don't know if the (Q) runs local during rush hours which I will guess probably does not. Hopefully the (R) will return to Lower Manhattan soon, so Broadway service will be less of a guessing game each week.

If that's what they are laying the trains up for, they start doing it earlier than midday. I've witnessed at least three trains this week end their trips at 14-Union Sq before 9:15AM (on the NB express track), two of those back-to-back rush hour trips (with my conductor finding out at Canal). Taking the next local, I'd see a train or two between 14th and 34th, NIS, lights out. I can tell you, it doesn't help with train loads.

I'd say run the rush trips to 57 and then lay them up on the downtown express, but that would take a lot of reversing and add congestion to the line itself with the (R) running through. Guess I gotta live with it...

I understand these people's pain but they are really starting to get on my nerves when it comes to complaining, i mean damn they should be glad that the (MTA) did the best they did to give these people service, however i do agree the Q52/53 needs more service:

Video: http://www.ny1.com/c...er-travel-times

Rockaway residents say they're fed up having to wait an extra 30 minutes or more each morning for a bus to work.

"I don't get paid if I'm not there," said one commuter. "It's crazy."

In some cases, buses are so packed, they have to bypass stops.

The buses in question are the Q52 and Q53. Both buses take the Cross Bay Bridge to the A train Rockaway Boulevard station. They've been running that route for years, but they've never been as crowded as they are now, since Sandy wiped out A service across Jamaica Bay.

The extra commuting time to get off the peninsula is particularly hard for many who, after work, have to repair their destroyed homes.

"Today, I'm going to make a complaint, because this is not fair," said one.

The MTA set up a temporary substitute to get people off the peninsula, but these riders complain the roundabout route can take up to an hour and makes no sense for most people. An interim H shuttle takes riders east to Mott Avenue, where they take free shuttle buses back west around JFK and to the Howard Beach train stop.

Some riders said the MTA should take some of the buses it's using to shuttle passengers at Mott Avenue to the A train and instead use them instead to provide additional runs of the Q52 and Q53.

NY1 asked the MTA about that. The agency said starting Friday, it will add service until the A train is fully restored, but only on the Q52. It didn't say why the Q53 route won't get extra buses.

Meanwhile, sources say full service on the A train may not be back until the summer.

Earlier this week, I heard on the news that full R train service (71/Continental to 95th) would resume no later than the 2nd week of December (not that I'm in any rush). In the past month, many off-peak evening and weekend riders have benefited greatly from the service increase of more reliable Brooklyn R service and more frequent evening headways than the regular R train. Furthermore, late night 2, 4, Q, and A riders have a service increase with a direct connection to a Bay Ridge bound train. Rush-hour riders can learn the temporary schedule (leaving 95th at 8:06am, 8:16am, etc) to reduce their waits. I'm very pleased with this split R train service. I would think conductors & motormen would prefer it too, since Bay Ridge R trains are no longer subject to off-peak delays that might reduce their break time.

I'm sorry but I need my (R) train running through the tubes again. This crap with the (4)(5) is working my nerves. They were already crowded as hell before this storm. Now it's like I have to let trains go till there's one i can squeeze into. I need the (R) back.

I'm sorry but I need my (R) train running through the tubes again. This crap with the (4)(5) is working my nerves. They were already crowded as hell before this storm. Now it's like I have to let trains go till there's one i can squeeze into. I need the (R) back.

Then the two-tracked only 60th-59th Street tube will have trains running every 3-5 minutes again like it did prior to Sandy with two Astoria trains and one Queens Boulevard train all running at ten minute headways...

Well, even though they're complaining........

.............they do have a point about how the buses are full to the brim, longer travel times, some stops being bypassed etc etc.

yeah the bus part i understand and they should have temp.bus lanes on rockaway turnpike because of the traffic, i was stuck in traffic, but thats why they say leave early, the (MTA) needs to stop getting rid of buses and throw em on the shuttle and Q22,35,32 and 53 they have alot of buses in storage plus their stops aren't being bypassed, the next stop is ether howard beach or Mott ave thats it, thats what the (H) train is for

The Q53 won't be getting extra buses because it's a 3:1 ratio in Q53 to Q52 buses... I can see why.

that is true, but they can try to help out, plus the union is throwing a fit about the artics flatbush borrowed for the shuttle

Then the two-tracked only 60th-59th Street tube will have trains running every 3-5 minutes again like it did prior to Sandy with two Astoria trains and one Queens Boulevard train all running at ten minute headways...

I don't really care about the head ways. I'm fairly patient. Morning Rush Hour for me was like clockwork going and coming back from work anyway. I never waited more than 4-5 minutes past the scheduled arrive time for my (R) in either direction. So it's not like I've ever waited like 30-45 minutes for a train to show up. I'll gladly take the (R) running in and out of manhattan again. This current service change hasn't been convenient for me at all.

I don't really care about the head ways. I'm fairly patient. Morning Rush Hour for me was like clockwork going and coming back from work anyway. I never waited more than 4-5 minutes past the scheduled arrive time for my (R) in either direction. So it's not like I've ever waited like 30-45 minutes for a train to show up. I'll gladly take the (R) running in and out of manhattan again. This current service change hasn't been convenient for me at all.

I guess your right... :)

It's just that the (R) is prone to delays near 34th or Canal as the (N) and (Q) run every 5-6 minutes at rush hour...The (R) also runs every 6-8 minutes as well and more service only adds more (if not more) congestion where trains will have to wait for the other to cross first... :(

If that's what they are laying the trains up for, they start doing it earlier than midday. I've witnessed at least three trains this week end their trips at 14-Union Sq before 9:15AM (on the NB express track), two of those back-to-back rush hour trips (with my conductor finding out at Canal). Taking the next local, I'd see a train or two between 14th and 34th, NIS, lights out. I can tell you, it doesn't help with train loads.

I'd say run the rush trips to 57 and then lay them up on the downtown express, but that would take a lot of reversing and add congestion to the line itself with the (R) running through. Guess I gotta live with it...

I think originally, they did go to 57th, as I mentioned a few pages back that I have seen trains pull out of either Canal Street or City Hall lower level running light on the express to 57th to enter service, but they probably felt that running those trains light to Canal Street was probably a hassle and felt ending them at 14th was probably just easier since they can just sit on those tracks between 14th and 34th, or they are doing work in that area and the trains would be a bother.

But yeah, it seems that every week, there is just something different on the Broadway Line. Going to be interesting what they decide to test out next week on there.

I don't get how the Rockaway residents can be complaining. They have the (H) train/bus to the (A) combo, the regular buses (although they do need to provide some extra), and a temporarily ferry to Manhattan. They should not be complaining.

A resident of the Rockaways will explain it better why. But the fact that the shuttle may not be running on time, then the fact that those who has to go to Rockaway Park has to take the Q22 bus to get therer from the last stop, AND the shuttle bus all the way through the JFK area round and round to Howard Beach for the (A)? That's a tall order that takes away from things like time from a normal commute. People out in the Rockwayas have to make it to work on time too you know.

Yeah the MTA is doing a fantastic job here but if course people are generally pissed because their lives was so disrupted up to this day by the superstorm Sandy. I think that's understandable.

But again a Rockaway resident or MTA employee can explain this better. What do I know? I'm here in the Bronx.

It's like that now also.there are 3 trains running in the 60st tube.The (R) is there too.

A resident of the Rockaways will explain it better why. But the fact that the shuttle may not be running on time, then the fact that those who has to go to Rockaway Park has to take the Q22 bus to get therer from the last stop, AND the shuttle bus all the way through the JFK area round and round to Howard Beach for the (A)? That's a tall order that takes away from things like time from a normal commute. People out in the Rockwayas have to make it to work on time too you know.

Yeah the MTA is doing a fantastic job here but if course people are generally pissed because their lives was so disrupted up to this day by the superstorm Sandy. I think that's understandable.

But again a Rockaway resident or MTA employee can explain this better. What do I know? I'm here in the Bronx.

they have alot of service options, The (H) can't go to Rock Pk until they replace what was damaged in the tower (basement), so far the (H) has had 2 incidents, one of them was because one of the cars had a dead motor due to a big 3rd rail gap at the hammels wye and the gap is almost 2 car lengths so hopefully they will fix that issue (hence why TSS ride back and forth) and the train died, the train got fixed up and its back in service, then the 2nd incident was when the line lost power, the Buses is understandable, MTA MADE IT CLEAR THAT extra service will be added to the Q52 and 22 hence why JFK depot is getting orion V's, Plus the reason why Buses are late is due to the fact the depot is OOS, meaning the buses have to deadhead from JFK and spring Creek, thats why the Q52 is late, im sorry that these people are going through alot but they should be greatful that they have

1. A shuttle (H) train (MTA) didn't have to do this

2.Shuttle Buses ALOT OF EM at that

3. a Ferry from rock Pk to Manhattan for 2.00

4. Overnight Q22 service

5. Added Q52 buses

what staten Island gets, Only a Ferry from New Dorp to manhattan for 2.00

what im trying to say they should be grateful that they do have alot of service options, they can't expect to have very good service after a storm hits em, the reason why theres no shuttle bus to rock pk yet because theres nowhere to layover the buses at, everything is one one block, due to the Clean up crews and FDNY trucks being where the Q53 picks up at

...MTA MADE IT CLEAR THAT extra service will be added to the Q52 and 22 hence why JFK depot is getting orion V's...

So that explains the sightings of those Orion V bees on the Q22... I also heard a rumor 6011 is at JFK... Really not clear on that one.

You can't run 3 lines over the bridge without screwing over the other 2 to fit the (R). Either they ran the (R) and cut the (N) back or they have what they have done. Plus it'll hopefully be moot in a few weeks if the (R) can turn back at Whitehall.

I thought they cut back on the (R) when there is Manny Bridge detours. Probably the (N) too like you said but of course that's nothing new as the (N) seems to go with 10 to 12 min headways as it is on a normal scedule sometimes it takes so damn long. Just to casually show up at Barclays/Alantic on 4th Ave after two (D)'s in front of it that I don't need going to where I gotta go in South BK.

Why do some people keep suggesting that the (R) should cross the Manhattan Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn? Focus on the entire route of every public train line first before suggesting something like that. You already have the (B) and (D) on the north side and the latter of which merges with the (N) and (Q) by DeKalb junction. Why else did they split the (R)? If its weekends, fine but when the (B) line is running then that means no (R) over the bridge. Just deal with the current setup we have now on the Broadway Line.

Why do some people keep suggesting that the (R) should cross the Manhattan Bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn?

Just me talking and not exactly speaking for myself as you have a good point, but it's been done many times before. (Like when we had (Q), <Q> and (W) trains all using the bridge to BK or during weekends GO's on the (R). Lower Manhattan B'Way line is knocked out of commission so....

Anyway, ppl do use the (R) during rush hrs to get to work which makes a (R) straight through to Manhattan through available routes make sense..

So it could work, I don't think it's about foaming with the guys, we are all talking why the MTA decided to make the decision to have the (R) terminate at Metrotech. Not challenging it per say. Just wanting to know definitely why. Got to be a very practical reason but exactly why though? Does it come down to lost time because of congestion on the bridge because of maxed out capacity more than two tracks can handle? Insane switching to get the (R) through Dekalb or switching after Canal?

We need a MTA T/O or C/R to explain this for us.

@realizm; In your case, I honestly considered the (Q) and <Q> at that time to be basically the same train after Atlantic Avenue. It's just a difference between local and express in Brooklyn.

But I used to ride the Brighton regularly, and not even close to 60% of Brighton riders get off at Atlantic. Many get off at DeKalb (when the R is running into Manhattan) and the vast majority stay on into Manhattan.

Key words, used to, times changed. I mean a lot of people get of at DeKalb, but during recent months, I've seen more people get off Atlantic. This isn't even considering the recent (R) cut after the hurricane.

Archived