Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NYGovCuomo: "The South Ferry station, which had been a large fish tank, has now been pumped dry."

@MTAInsider

Unforeseen problems w/electrical svc and unexpected track work at the W.4 St have slowed the timetable for subway restorations. ...

:D:D And I'm now waiting for the rest of South Ferry station to be fixed.

:(:( W. 4th St. still needs fixing....

http://mta.info/nyct/service/RebuildingRockawaysAfterHurricanSandy.htm

Some of the before-after pictures, as well as the statistics, are astounding. I feel that trackage to the Rockaways might be restored by the end of the year, but the complete signal rebuild will take a long time.

Could they operate it without signals? I think they did that during the chambers St fire.

Could they operate it without signals? I think they did that during the chambers St fire.

Biggest issue is the bridge connecting the Queens mainland and the Rockaways near Broad Channel was destroyed by the storm. That why it will be around next Spring at the earliest, the Rockaways-Manhattan full (A) line will reopen.

Has the (J) and (Z) been restored back to Broad St? http://alert.mta.inf...all_J_broad.pdf the map shows it back but the schedules page doesnt and there was no article on the mta site saying it was restored.

Sure has!

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/j-z-trains-to-return-to-fulton-street-and-broad-street-stations-1.4288678

I wonder how service on the (A) has been (since it's shortened to HB)? Also I wonder: if they get service from the Rockaways to Broad channel, would they do a round robin or have two separate shuttle services?

it still sucks, but what i was thinking ( i spoke to Track workers on the bus, they were telling me that work is getting done out there) I would say about 6 months, if it does takes up to a year then this summer is gonna be a nightmare (Beach goers If the beaches are open by then) then they will have to add more trains and buses

Due to the massive damage, new reports from the MTA say a full restoration on the (A) my not happen for up to 12 months.

What! 12 months? Did I read that correctly? :o

Gotta be because of the severe damage to that bridge, if not total destruction to it prompting a complete rebuild from almost scratch, I'm guessing. (Another poster here mentioned that the MTA and the National Guard is withholding some of the pics depicting the destruction of that bridge as far as I know as of now. For a reason...)

What! 12 months? Did I read that correctly? :o

Gotta be because of the severe damage to that bridge, if not total destruction to it prompting a complete rebuild from almost scratch, I'm guessing. (Another poster here mentioned that the MTA and the National Guard is withholding some of the pics depicting the destruction of that bridge as far as I know as of now. For a reason...)

It would not surprise me one bit if it takes until early 2014 until full service is restored on the Rockaway Branch. :( The damage there was incredible.

The LIRR may have to do something this summer to accommodate people who normally use the (A) to get to the beach out there.

It would not surprise me one bit if it takes until early 2014 until full service is restored on the Rockaway Branch. :( The damage there was incredible.

The LIRR may have to do something this summer to accommodate people who normally use the (A) to get to the beach out there.

If the MTA quoted a 12 month time before full (A) service through the Rockaways, then yeah might as well add a few months to that for unforseen problems in the repair process (unless they have already took in consideration the possible delays that could occur in their 12 month repair completion and operation date estimate.)

I doubt the LIRR will do anything about the upcoming summer traffic of ppl to the beach. Isnt the boardwalk washed out and copmpletely destroyed anyway? That in itself is a long term project.

The MTA already did what they could do to restore some temporary service to the Rockaway. All they need to do is get more busses on the road and get Rockaway Park end service back in order. That should be sufficient until full Rockway service has been completely restored to the Fulton Street Line.

what I think they would do when atleast 1 or 2 tracks on the flats are ready, is extend the (H) to Rockaway Blvd (simular to the (A) in two sections GO but the (A)'s would still turn around at howard beach) and run a shuttle train every 20 minutes between Rockaway Blvd and the Rockaways Rush Hours Only with the shuttle Buses until they fully restore it back to normal, THATS IF they can run trains over the flats, have trains run on one track between Howard Beach and Broad Channel, just have the (H) full length, THAT IF they would do that, But to me they should take their time

The bridges look okay, but if this takes a year then the bridges might get replaced, because it would take a full years work to replace the bridges esp the south channel bridge, The Flats they have already put down new rocks and are redoing the landfull so it would atleast take 4-6 months for that or less if they get the job done quicker

Transit Transit been around for years... I remember watching that back in the 90s... still has the same hosts too :lol:

But that's obviously a new episode though.

Yup. It was mostly shown then on the Ch. 31(formely WNYC) was still a PBS NYC owned station before it became a private station mostly w/ reruns of old shows.

Now on it's shown on cable access channel like NYCTV and BCAT.

Archived