Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

and thats why the R46's are beat down, what they should do is just ether send the R32's somwhere else or leave them the way they are, the swap is a waste of money and its stupid, it makes no sense but lets leave this type of topic in the R32 swap thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and thats why the R46's are beat down, what they should do is just ether send the R32's somwhere else or leave them the way they are, the swap is a waste of money and its stupid, it makes no sense but lets leave this type of topic in the R32 swap thread

I'm sure it's preferable sitting in an R32 with busted A/C. :rolleyes:

whats the chances the MTA keeps the (H) designation for the Rockaway shuttle after things are back to normal next year?

I think I saw an R68 layed up in JYD today from the Van Wyck. One of the rollsigns was set as an (S). I am assuming the (G) is still based from there till the line is back to 100%?

was it in a set of two? then its one of the Franklin Shuttle trainsets

whats the chances the MTA keeps the (H) designation for the Rockaway shuttle after things are back to normal next year?

Zero...although it never really "disappeared" in the first place. Its still called the (H) internally, but to the public its called the (S)

I'm wondering if this is in anticipation of service to Broad Channel resuming before through (A) service comes back, so since this would be like a truncated version of the old midnight (H) round robin, the (H) specifically designates, round-robin service (which technically is more than a shuttle), while (S) is the simple shuttle service.

But then which part of the line will be fixed first. I was told that the south bridge was so destroyed, the Army won't release any pictures of it, and won't allow anyone to take pictures! (Notice, we've seen section of track totally stripped down to the bare skeleton with all the ground washed from underneath, but they never show the bridges! Has anyone anywhere snuck a picture like from their car on the Cross Bay, or anything?)

In that case, I'll start getting as many riders as possible with the R32s even though the (C) is the local and completely underground. I also would love to get as many variety with those cars along the (A) express and the Rockaways. Too bad I didn't get any variety out in the Rockaways since most or all of them went to Lefferts Boulevard.

From what I saw, there was no particular preference of one branch over another for the R32s. I saw plenty of them on all three branches.

Scheduled Maintenance Service.

Scheduled Maintenance System, to be precise.

The H runs between Far Rockaway and Beach 90th. The usual Rockaway Park shuttle runs between Rockaway Park and Broad Channel. They serve entirely different functions and have only one station in common. I suspect that the current service is called the H specifically to highlight that it isn't like the usual shuttle.

I'm wondering if this is in anticipation of service to Broad Channel resuming before through (A) service comes back, so since this would be like a truncated version of the old midnight (H) round robin, the (H) specifically designates, round-robin service (which technically is more than a shuttle), while (S) is the simple shuttle service.

In the 80's and early 90's, all shuttles to the Rockaways were called H (or, earlier, HH). At night, it was the round-robin shuttle (since the A went only to Lefferts), and during rush hours and later most of the day on weekdays, the C (or CC) served Rock Park so there was no need for a shuttle of any sort, but on weekends, the C didn't run into Brooklyn and there was a straightforward shuttle to Rock Park, also called H (or HH).

But then which part of the line will be fixed first. I was told that the south bridge was so destroyed, the Army won't release any pictures of it, and won't allow anyone to take pictures! (Notice, we've seen section of track totally stripped down to the bare skeleton with all the ground washed from underneath, but they never show the bridges! Has anyone anywhere snuck a picture like from their car on the Cross Bay, or anything?)

I highly doubt that. If you want a picture of the South Channel Bridge, take one from the Cross Bay Bridge sidewalk - nobody's going to stop you. There probably isn't much to see. The damage was probably far worse on the "flats," where the tracks are at a lower elevation than on the bridge.

The H runs between Far Rockaway and Beach 90th. The usual Rockaway Park shuttle runs between Rockaway Park and Broad Channel. They serve entirely different functions and have only one station in common. I suspect that the current service is called the H specifically to highlight that it isn't like the usual shuttle.

They called it the (H) because the R32's side sign has a reading only for (H) Rockaway Shuttle, the (S) on roll says (S) Franklin Ave Shuttle.

They called it the (H) because the R32's side sign has a reading only for (H) Rockaway Shuttle, the (S) on roll says (S) Franklin Ave Shuttle.

There is a "Shuttle" reading that could have been used.

However, as I said, it's a completely different service from the Rock Park shuttle, serving a completely different function. Why shouldn't it have a completely different name?

I think I saw an R68 layed up in JYD today from the Van Wyck. One of the rollsigns was set as an (S). I am assuming the (G) is still based from there till the line is back to 100%?

was it in a set of two? then its one of the Franklin Shuttle trainsets

Couldn't tell. I saw at least 4 cars.

The (G) is back to 4 cars all times, but for some reason still has at least one 46 set on it. Perhaps that's why that 68 is layed up? Not sure that makes sense, not sure why it's still running 46's either.

Oh and here's something interesting. A Marine salvage company (yes, like boats and whatnot) was called in to help pump out the Montague (R) tube, and put up some pictures. The MTA has yet to release any photos of that tube so, if you're curious, click through.

http://defiantmarine.net/gallery/superstorm-sandy-nyc-subway/

112612mta1CR020328--300x300.jpg

"Two of the most overcrowded lines in the subway system have been squeezing in even more riders, thanks to Hurricane Sandy.

Straphangers are packing in to the 4 and 5 trains like sardines since the R train stopped running between Manhattan and Brooklyn, transit officials said yesterday.

The extreme conditions — which together carry about 1.07 million passengers a day — have transit officials scrambling to repair the R line’s Montague Street tunnel, which has been closed since it was damaged in the storm.

Because of the closure, R trains cannot run under the East River, forcing many of its riders onto the 4 and 5 trains, which run a similar route in Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan.

The 4 and the 5 are getting hammered,” Thomas Prendergast, president of New York City Transit, said at the agency’s transit committee meeting.

“Everybody who comes across from the [staten Island] ferry who normally takes the R is walking up to the 4 and 5 at Bowling Green.”

In Brooklyn, R train riders are switching at Atlantic Avenue to the 4 or 5 to cross the East River, Prendergast added.

The R isn’t running between Jay Street-MetroTech and 34th Street in Manhattan.

Fixing the tunnel is the agency’s “highest priority,” Prendergast said, adding he hoped service will be back in seven to ten days.

Transit workers are toiling run the clock to get it down, he said.

The first step will be extending the R in Manhattan down to Rector, he said."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/make_squish_nyc_LsHNVCX3uxLiV7Zj86MJUN

Meanwhile NY1 says the Manhattan-Queens (R) section will be extended to Rector St by latest the end of week (11/30/12) Plus in mid. Dec. "full" Forest Hills-Bay Ridge via Manhattan (R) service (minus Whitehall/South Ferry) to restored.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/172890/subway-still-weeks-away-from-fully-restored-service

Well there were better options than turning at 34th Street and delaying (N) and (Q) service.

I think (forgot poster who suggested it) this idea might be better to do until full (R) service was restored.

1)Run the (Q) as replacement for (R) between Lex-60th and Forest Hills as QB/Broadway Local via bridge daily 6am-Midnight.

Overnights runs between 57th/7th and Stillwell.

2)Run (N) between Astoria and Stillwell alone (with 5-6 minute headways all day weekdays from 7am-9pm)With some trains start/end at 86th St Gravesend.

3)Run the (R) shuttle 24/7 between Jay St and Bay Ridge-95th Street.

That way you avoid the conga line at 34th that currently happening.

Archived