Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

Don't know if this means much, but it seems the Broadway Line started running some rush-hour put-ins this week. My (N) Monday morning was a 57St-7Av express and I saw an OOS train on the express heading uptown at Union Sq yestarday afternoon around 5PM.

Also, almost didn't notice, but while I was waiting for my train home at Union Sq, a Brooklyn (Q) pulled in on the express. Guess that one snuck through...

They seem to resumed the regular rush hour runs since last week which is when I started to ride Broadway again, maybe it began when the (N) and (Q) started going across the Bridge. As you noticed with the (Q), I did notice the same thing this week at times that they would sneak in some (Q) to go express to Brooklyn by holding the (R) at Times Square. MTA sure loves to do some funny things lol.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if this means much, but it seems the Broadway Line started running some rush-hour put-ins this week. My (N) Monday morning was a 57St-7Av express and I saw an OOS train on the express heading uptown at Union Sq yestarday afternoon around 5PM.

Also, almost didn't notice, but while I was waiting for my train home at Union Sq, a Brooklyn (Q) pulled in on the express. Guess that one snuck through...

There are a ton of those put-ins on the Astoria express track. I haven't seen that many trains laid up since the days of the very long R40s.

Then it doesn't apply to you...

Right on. I still think it could be a lot worse, though:

After riding on the Rockaway Shuttle, I have to say that it would be in the MTA's best interests to install a second track through the wye. It would allow for greater flexibility post-Sandy, and would save time as trains wouldn't have to single track through the wye.

Small mercies, chaps.

Ignant isn't a word. Were you trying to say IGNORANT.....because if so, you better check who is calling who what. And that's the description that's been given to me by one of my friends who DOES live in Far Rockaway, and I've seen his photos too.

Note the quotation marks! "Ignant". Because that's how ignorant that comment was. And a perfect example of going by "a friend" I Live down here. Since 1990. My mom lives down here. I'm sure there will be plenty other than me who WILL take offence to that. Its nothing like mad max down here so let me correct you and inform you! People down here, including the projects, which is where I call home, arew all looking out for each other. We are trying to rebuild our homes businesses and lives. Some have lost EVERYTHING! So next time you wanna make an asinine comment , think twice before you come out of your face with the most repugnant shit I've read in a long time! I knew what I was typing. You just overlooked the quotation marks around the word that I knowing and purposly used to describe the comment that you made describing where I and thousands of others call home. Now I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot, and call where you live a cesspool-ridden portapotty, you would take offence. So think before you post. I do and I will willingly come out of my face and rip a "new one" no problem to anyone! Now you coulda just apologized while stating that "your friend" described it like that. But you didn't. You decided to play grammar nazi instead. And did that wrong too! So yes, I'm going to continue to take offense as long as you continue to remain so IGNORANT that you can be describes as "ignant". If your that slow to not see quotation marks, you shouldn't be operation a subway train.

Far Fock in some spots has a bad rep take it from somebody who lived in the City for most of his life..

It is what it is..

I understand what you are saying RTO. I too have just pent the last year living in the city. And I was also born and raised till I was 13 in the Bronx. Reps are one thing, but right now, reps get thrown out the window. Its all about rebuilding our lives down here. So please understand where I'm coming from as well. And I know about the looting post sandy, but it wasn't just in rockaway. And there was also looting during other major events like the 03 blackout, the 77 blackout, and many others. Didn't hear "mad max" land then about anywhere else. Snowblock wasn't down here. Doesn't have family down here if all he heard from was "his friend". I'm sure others have "friends" who said the same about CI, SI, south jersey, etc. My whole point: think before posting.

Note the quotation marks! "Ignant".

You decided to play grammar nazi instead. And did that wrong too! So yes, I'm going to continue to take offense as long as you continue to remain so IGNORANT that you can be describes as "ignant". If your that slow to not see quotation marks,

you shouldn't be operation a subway train.

First off, ignant is a slang, not a word.

Secondly, yes I'm being a grammar nazi.

Thirdly, it's suppose to be: "You shouldn't be "operating" a subway train." (Notice the quotation marks.)

Lastly, I have relatives in Far Rockaway and it's not that bad...in the day at least for me. Whenever I'm driving home though, I can't really say the same.

Thirdly, it's suppose to be: "You shouldn't be "operating" a subway train." (Notice the quotation marks.)

Lastly, I have relatives in Far Rockaway and it's not that bad...in the day at least for me. Whenever I'm driving home though, I can't really say the same.

Thank autocorrect for "operation".

Thank autocorrect for "operation".

Can we leave buses out of this? NOBODY likes buses. I like trains as much as anyone, but it just seems nutty to take a trip into Mad Max land just to ride/get a photo of a train.

Far Fock in some spots has a bad rep take it from somebody who lived in the City for most of his life..

It is what it is..

Please understand that many members here are actually proud of their native New York neighborhoods. That includes the Rockaways. It's not that hard to be civil sometimes.

It's NOT mad max land. It's not the thunderdome!!! I live in the projects down here and it's been very quite. You guys need to grow up and throw your stereotypical crap elsewhere. You would be saying shit like that if you lived down here!!

And in other news, looks like they have the (G) running back to normal through the tubes. Caught it at about 5 am going south and saw all the signals working...even back to 4 cars

Crazy thing is I was on it earlier at about 9 pm going the other way and it was doing the whole absolute block thing and running with a full 8-car train

And in other news, looks like they have the (G) running back to normal through the tubes. Caught it at about 5 am going south and saw all the signals working...even back to 4 cars

Crazy thing is I was on it earlier at about 9 pm going the other way and it was doing the whole absolute block thing and running with a full 8-car train

The 4 cars is because of the holiday schedule. But the signals working certainly aren't!

Does assigning workers to weekend GO's (such as the F and G shutdown in Brooklyn, the #3 and #4 shutdown in Brooklyn, etc) take workers away from the priority projects (opening up the A, 1, R, J lines)?

The MTA has more signal maintainers and trackworkers than you might think. For next weekend the (J) busing has already been canceled. And the Culver project is a bit of a priority, as if Smith-9th is delayed much more the political blacklash will really ramp up.

It would've been great if there were R46 cars on the (H). Just Saying

On another note, things are still hectic on the (A) With the shuttling

DO i have to explain again why the R46's weren't sent out there again, The R32's will do fine out there, they trucked them instead of the R46's because of WEIGHT, and to top that off the R46's aren't as good in the winter (they had major issues in the mid 90's when they came from overhaul, that issue has been fixed but still) and on top of that (even though they have A-A units) it would be much harder to maintain, the R32's are easier to maintain, THIS came from a Supervisor that was there when they were trucking them, just be Greatful that you have service out there, is annoying as hell when people keep on whining about why the R46's weren't sent out there, its very obvious why they didn't go with the R46's.

DO i have to explain again why the R46's weren't sent out there again, The R32's will do fine out there, they trucked them instead of the R46's because of WEIGHT, and to top that off the R46's aren't as good in the winter (they had major issues in the mid 90's when they came from overhaul, that issue has been fixed but still) and on top of that (even though they have A-A units) it would be much harder to maintain, the R32's are easier to maintain, THIS came from a Supervisor that was there when they were trucking them, just be Greatful that you have service out there, is annoying as hell when people keep on whining about why the R46's weren't sent out there, its very obvious why they didn't go with the R46's.

I wasn't complaining. I have the common knowledge to understand why. Just a thought.

Re the (G),

I can confirm the signals are lit in the Southbound tube, and absolute block procedures are no longer in effect... However there was still a TSS with his trusty clipboard standing on the Northbound platform.

If I remember correctly there was a service advisory a few days ago that said all trains were boarding at the queensbound platform. Sounds like they single-tracked to do repairs in the Southbound tube and they'll have to repeat the game for the northbound tube at some point.

We shall see...

I wonder what will happen to the (A) and (C)'s regular car assignments come next summer or at least after the entire IND Rockaway Line is restored. Perhaps the switch will take place again as the R32s and R42s will switch to the (A) from the (C) in exchange for half of those R46s like this year's summer swap.

The swap is dependent on how well the ACs work on the 32s. If it's determined they work well enough due to the SMS, the swap may not happen.

In that case, I'll start getting as many riders as possible with the R32s even though the (C) is the local and completely underground. I also would love to get as many variety with those cars along the (A) express and the Rockaways. Too bad I didn't get any variety out in the Rockaways since most or all of them went to Lefferts Boulevard. I haven't rode the subway until after my brithday this year because of my parents' devoted decision to keep me on the cheesy school bus all because who ever at the Department has my name on the computer...............

What is SMS?

Scheduled Maintenance Service.

At least 4 trains I saw over the summer were headed to the Rockaways. There were likely more, but I didn't have time to hang around in the subway all day.

Me neither. Apparently, the management seems to be more comfortable with the R46s in the Rockaways than the R32s due to lack of seat availability for the (A) conductors since the only way to sit through an entire run is when the trains are 8-car trains in sets of 4 like on the (C) right now.

Archived